FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

has anyone worked with dual xeons?

Donutey
has anyone here set up a socket 603/604 system, because i'm interested in buying a dual proc 1.7Ghz Xeon system (piece by piece used) and overclocking it...
Xeniczone
what is your plans for this dual xeon?

Gameing workstation media personal use for anything.

Can't really tell you if it is a good idea unless we know what your doing with it.

Xeons are no different then pentium 4 other then they support dual processing. and have much high prices.
bassgs_17
mmm.... Xeon.... I've never worked with these, but I do know that dual-cpu systems ROCK! Good luck with this, man.
-Aquastrike
decimi
Donutey wrote:
has anyone here set up a socket 603/604 system, because i'm interested in buying a dual proc 1.7Ghz Xeon system (piece by piece used) and overclocking it...

I recommend something on this list:
1. Athlon64 FX-60 ----- ( SSE3, 64-bit ) (best)
2. Athlon64 X2 4800+ ----- ( SSE3, 64-bit )
3. Athlon64 X2 4600+ ----- ( SSE3, 64-bit )
4. Athlon64 X2 4400+ ----- ( SSE3, 64-bit )
5. Athlon64 X2 4200+ ----- ( SSE3, 64-bit )
6. Athlon64 X2 3800+ ----- ( SSE3, 64-bit )

All of these are dual-cores, and if you put dual-cpu you get maximal performance. But they are socket 940.

Isn't Xeons desinged to servers?
bassgs_17
I agree, those high-end athlons are neat, but what if he wants a high novelty value? Not many PCs have two seperate CPUs, but quite a few have dual-core processors, like mine.
-Aquastrike
Boles Roor
bassgs_17 wrote:
I agree, those high-end athlons are neat, but what if he wants a high novelty value? Not many PCs have two seperate CPUs, but quite a few have dual-core processors, like mine.
-Aquastrike

That's where Xeons or 940 pin AMD Opterons kick in Smile Very expensive, very fast, very reliable.

Donutey wrote:

I dont' know how they overclock but if you have the cash, that'd be one hell of a rig.
broti
Perfect cpu's for server use. Just for home use they stink. They make a hell of a noise... Compare it with a washing machine standing next to your monitor:P Naaaah. Playing games on it wont work. They probably hang all the time. Well I'm familiar with Xeon 2.8Ghz. On LANparty's they hang all the time. My opinian. Cya
hrtorrent
At work we have dual xeon 1.5 GHz server. Windows 2003 server run fast. It's good for server but it's not good for normal (home, single user) use.
bassgs_17
My computer case is a washing machine! Just kidding, but I hadn't considered the noise factor. I'm considering building a massive server and hiding it from the FBI under the floor in my house. Sound good?
-Aquastrike
TheGeek
its a cool idea, having 2 processors, but in my experience and thinking, i would assume that the only time that the highs of this system would come into play would be in use as a server or as some sort of high end graphics processing machine or very large calulator used to crack extremely strong algorithms...

thinking through it logically as a home pc or game pc doesnt make much sense however. Most apps or games made today are designed for single core single processor machines. Therefore, if you add another processor or core to the equation, then you are simply adding one more thing that processes have to go through before they get accoplished, hence a slow down in actual performance in that sense. However, if you use it for things that are either designed to work with two cores/processors or are very stressful for one processor to handle, such as multiple inquiries in a database or web server, then you will see improved performance from the use of two cores or processors.

again, my knowledge on dual core/processor setups is limited and i was just thinking it through logically so there are probably errors in the statement.

Cool idea still, i always thought that the idea of two processors was neat...and quad processors was just crazy...like in the new G5 that Apple is coming out with for its last hurra before intel takes over.
bassgs_17
Cracking strong algorithms, eh? What gave you that idea? *Cough* Of course I would use my 1337 server under my floorboards for non-evil purposes only... *cough@
-Aquastrike