FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game making - anyone interested?

What genre should the game be
RTS (Real Time Strategy)
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
FPS (First Person Shooter)
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
RPG (Role Playing Game)
28%
 28%  [ 10 ]
MMO* (Massive Multiplayer Online *whatever*)
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 35

nachjo chip
(sorry if this should have been posted in "games")

I'm thinking of making a (non-profit) game company over the net where each member contributes with their skills to make the game a reality. (i.e. someone (relatively) good at programming can program, someone into making music on the pc can make the game music, someone can do drawings, some one can do game art etc etc).

Anyone interested?
Enderwiggin
I would be interested, but sadly theres only 1 programming language I know and its pretty useless for games, and I know how to make 3d models with 3D Studio, but dont own that, So I'd be pretty much worthless Razz
photographerguy
I would also be interested. I don't know programming, but I do know:
photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, flash 8 pro, and blender

I have some time I could put into this. Looking foreward to it.
avk
Me too.

I don't know that lot in programming, but am good in photoshop and Flash.
And have a bit knowledge about 3D Max.
arukomp
I'm just learning to program in various languages: C++, Visual Basic, 3D game studio language. I'm just a starter, but i dream to be a good game programmer. I use 3D Game Studio for 3D game creating and Game Maker 6 for 2D game creating. I don't use flash...
crasso
Give the Pygame a chance. Of course, you would need programming experience with Python, but if you spend a few days, you would be surprised what you can achieve!

And one more thing, there's no better solution for game scripting than Python.[/url]
nachjo chip
yes, it was a python game i had in mind actually Smile

anyone intrested is hereby invited to join the now-official IRC channel:
#gamedevelopment @ irc.blitzed.com

(cant remember whos server it is but its the one im connected to right now, so...)
4ndY
I know C/C++, GameMaker (i dont count that Razz ), ... and im beginer in DX.

but programming isnt the most important thing in making games Smile
Solutions for some problems (better algorithms), ideas, concepts, ...

btw u didnt write what kind of game (RTS, FPS, MMORPG, ...)?
nachjo chip
i was thinking an RTS actually, but i imagine RPGs (not MMORPG) might be easier to make... That will be decided as soon as we have core people for the project. (i assume you want "in" since you replied to this thread, so from now on ill count you as one of the core members).
seanooi
what kind of game would it be?
e.g. Action, adventure, for teens, adults etc.

Different kinds of games would require different kinds of music. If I have time, I might be able to help you out with the musics.
No promises tho Wink
nachjo chip
cool, it seems like we have the most important "jobs" covered now... next step would be to make a group decision of game type... as I said, i think a roleplaying/adventure game would be easiest, but rts would also be cool...
After we have decided the game genre we can decide what language to write it in. Then we can start brainstorming in an irc channel or something.
photographerguy
Could you give me some examples of a RTS? I know what the other kinds are. Is Civilization an example?
superbyte
I like the Idea, but I don't really like 3D games where there's a lot of action with your hands and eyes, but your brain falls asleep because is not used. RPG are something else (Even if the RPG is made in 3D), they are more interested in resolving situations in a smart way and not just killing everything that moves.

Anyway, beginners in game making should absolutly try Game Maker 6 where you can convert your ideas in playable games in only few minutes without programming knowledge. It has some problems with performance but if you are not considering a professional career, this is a greate FREE software.

PYGAME looks really good, but is not as easy as Game Maker so I recommend using GM for representing the main game idea and after having everything the we we want, we spend some time learning pygame and create the game in that programming language. Twisted Evil

Game Maker is at http://www.gamemaker.nl/
PYGAME is at http://www.pygame.org/news.html
nachjo chip
ive toyed about with gamemaker before and im learning Python as we speak (or rather as i post).
I think we should do a graphical RPG first...

everyone who is interested in helping out should join the channel "#gamemaking" on the irc server irc.blitzed.org.
if you dont have an irc client, you can use this one online: http://cgiirc.blitzed.org/

btw: a real time strategy (RTS) is almost the opposite of civilization. civ is a turn-based game where the players have turns to do whatever they want to do. In real-time games ppl can do things all the time. examples of this kind of game are: Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Command and Conquer (well, most of the C&C games anyway) etc etc
photographerguy
Nachjo

I chatted with you briefly yesterday, you suggested a single player rpg.
What theme did you have in mind?

I like vampires, organized crime, highlander, ninjas, matrix, etc.
I think maybe we should do something modern, not just the typical knights, dragons, wizards, clerics, dnd style rpg.

What are everybody's thoughts on this?
seanooi
why not something like the nintendo's version of zelda?
small character running around the forrest.
That's be kinda fun Laughing
nachjo chip
i have nothing against doing modern stuff, but i think it should still be all-fictional and fantasy, because otherwise it would end up getting satirical, which would lead to the game having an "expire date". (just like satire that was funny in the 60's might not be funny now because the thing being satired isnt "common knowledge" any longer.

I suggest a setting set in a semi-near future so we can get pretty inventive w/ items, technology etc. A major question, however, is: should we include magic? If not i think we should allow other abilities to be learned as the character gets stronger that work sortof in the same way of magic.
OR we could do a munchkin and satire dnd etc.... (click here if you dont know what i mean by that).

Does anyone have msn/yahoo/aol messenger by the way? i feel it is alot easier to communicate effectivly w/ it compared to irc...
Nyizsa
I would help you in coding... but sorry, not much ideas.
I LOVE to play RPGs, but unfortunately I'm not a story-teller...
If you had an on-line RPG, I would gladly participate. Also, if you needed coding, I would contribute ... but no stories please - I just don't feel like I could be able to figure out a story which would catch the interest of the whole world... maybe when I retire. But not now. Anyway, I love to play RPGs.
xorcist
I always wanted to do something like that but I really dont know what kind of programs to make the graphics and how to put them into the game. If you give me good programs that I can use I'll proberly test it out and play around with it and mabye I'll proberly help around with making things for the game.
4ndY
nachjo chip wrote:
i was thinking an RTS actually, but i imagine RPGs (not MMORPG) might be easier to make... That will be decided as soon as we have core people for the project. (i assume you want "in" since you replied to this thread, so from now on ill count you as one of the core members).

please, dont count me in yet - im now really busy in RL (end of my middleschool education, so i need to enroll on highschool). Few months only.

Im Star/trek/wars/craft fan and im very interest in physic, so i can benefit in that way too (beside programming only). My "dream" is to create game such as, similar to EVEonline, TDZK (its browserbased, but i like its concept) - MMORPG with a really good story, possbile tehnology (i mean with good explanation).
I like and ancient things, fantasy and so, but my heart belonge to space Smile

My opinion about RPG: its great to lvluping your character, finding special items and special places, solving puzzle and quest - but when u alone in that world you cant campete with others ppl, for who are u doing all that?, so it must be multiplayer - MMO?
nachjo chip
when i said not mmorpg i was thinking of the technical aspect of the game... i expect a (massive) multiplayer online game would be alot harder to program.

Ofc we could do a mmorpg but then we need ppl who can program it.

oh, btw i like space theme too Very Happy
d722002
Im already involved in making games, and after the next project is done id be more than willing to do some outside work...
nachjo chip
IRT above: Great!

xorcist wrote:
I always wanted to do something like that but I really dont know what kind of programs to make the graphics and how to put them into the game. If you give me good programs that I can use I'll proberly test it out and play around with it and mabye I'll proberly help around with making things for the game.

You dont need to have computerskills to contribute... you could help doing storyline/plot, inventing the items for the game etc etc...
dac_nip
you forgot to include something in your plans..i want to be a beta tester and check for user friendliness and aesthetic appearance. this is the most important aspect in software development. even more prioritize than coding. also, what repository are you going to use for coding? sourceforge?
4ndY
nachjo chip wrote:
when i said not mmorpg i was thinking of the technical aspect of the game... i expect a (massive) multiplayer online game would be alot harder to program.

Ofc we could do a mmorpg but then we need ppl who can program it.

Very Happy
i said: my dream... -maybe in some future Smile i know its very complex, and beyond our current possibilities (but in my opinion: everything is possible to learn, soon or later).

First, we should start with simple concepts Razz
jiten
arukomp wrote:
I'm just learning to program in various languages: C++, Visual Basic, 3D game studio language. I'm just a starter, but i dream to be a good game programmer. I use 3D Game Studio for 3D game creating and Game Maker 6 for 2D game creating. I don't use flash...

ya u learn c++ very will to make your self very good in game progarming.. so keep going on ...
nachjo chip
umm... we could ofcourse start out with a very simple game like asteroids or something even simpler just to get started... Very Happy
seanooi
yeah, that'd be a good idea to get started.
Maybe asteroids or something like bomberman, or pacman. Laughing
nachjo chip
ok... I think asteroids would be the better choice so we dont have to deal with (primitive) AI yet. (as opposed to pacman). However i feel that we have to make a twist in either gameplay or something else to make the game a bit more unique and worth making... any ideas?

here are some suggestions (ofc the more the better):
- (good) music
- cool (3d?) graphics
- bonus levels
- pickups
- 2player control (2 ppl on one keyboard)
photographerguy
so, how do we make asteroids, but way cooler?
sindemencia
FPS (First Person Shooter) is the best............... election Very Happy
4ndY
I suggest to start with simple MP game... so that introduce ourselves in network programming.

There are many good ideas (and demands << people want them) for simple MP games:
- any of you saw a good chess for mp over Net? -i didnt find any good and free
- free scrabble (without ICQ needed Razz)
- small cars racing 2D
We dont need to develop AI, only some network code (which isnt so hard, especially over DX), that kind of games are very playable and small, ppl will DL it, recommend them to friends...
nachjo chip
i guess making a small online 2d car game wouldnt suck.. I think we should use python/pygame to give it a chance. it looks friendly, although ive heard some crap about it in the past. I can program a bit in Python, but im going to need help. Anyone here know python or feels like taking a small tutorial?
(this one is pretty neat: http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/pdfsheets.html
)
alalex
I dessign music, songs, introduction web-page sounds...
If you are interested, tell me what is the kind of music you need, I will try!
Very Happy
Shirish
Hey

I have started a new Topic

Designing your new DirectX GameEngine

So any Game Programmers and Graohics and Audio Designers and Creators are invited.

Do check out in Software Section.

It would be instrumental in Designing my new FPS Game
ashik
I would love to be part of such a team. I've learnt some C++ and Python, and have been involved in one or two simple game development projects like the ones you mentioned.
Pygame seems to be pretty good. Once you get into it, it's really powerful. Also, there are libraries in Python which can be used along-with pygame for networking capabilities.
However, I suggest we also take a look at Game-Editor, another tool like Game Maker: easy to use and code, free(as long as the game is non-commercial), scripting similar to C.... But, I don't think it has networking modules for multiplayer games.
http://www.game-editor.com/
ashik
I don't see anyone come up with a good idea or design for the game. I suggest, we better finalize that as well as the development platform.

Another point I forgot earlier, Game Editor is cross-platform compared to Game Maker. Of course Python is cross platform, but we'll have to resort to other ways to generate binary executables. This probably won't be a problem in non-commercial games,but I still think it deserves some thought.
ezdookie
Hello, i know c++, vb and java... I am learning programming with DirectX. If somebody knows a good tutorial, please give me.
Hogwarts
photographerguy wrote:
Could you give me some examples of a RTS? I know what the other kinds are. Is Civilization an example?

uh... no Civilization is a Turn Based Strategy game.

Real Time Strategy games are things like Warcraft, Starcraft, Command And Conquer, etc.
Role Playing Games are things such as The Legend Of Zelda, Final Fantasy I and II, etc.
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing games are things such as Runscape, World of Warcraft, Guildwars, etc.
First Person Shooters are things such as Counterstrike, Half-life, Half-life 2, etc.
Turn Based Strategy are things such as Civilization, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc.

There are more genres e.g. driving but i dont know much about them
afireinside
I am pretty capable with Photshop/Photostudio.
I am learning Flash at school.
photographerguy
So it looks like we have a few capable people on board. When are we getting started? What direction are we going in?
AhmedSalmanJamal
Yes definitely I am interested. I could assist you in programming as well as designing. Please let me know what needs to be done Very Happy
Blaster
First person shooters are the best i think. I don't know about easinest to make wise but they deffenitly look better and are more fun to play.
ashik
Blaster wrote:
First person shooters are the best i think. I don't know about easinest to make wise but they deffenitly look better and are more fun to play.

Most of us are beginners here, and for a beginner, an FPS game might be a bit far - fetched. My first project in Game Development(Non -Commercial) was 2 years ago. I teamed up with a few of my friends, and, now I know that was a mistake, we planned for a full - fledged three dimensional Third Person Shooter. As beginners, we soon gave up. That was our first lesson. Then, we took up simpler 2D games, and we are doing great now.

We seem to have more experienced guys now, but still, I suggest we go for a simple 2D game, which will be easier and will let us focus more on the gameplay and other areas, rather than the graphics handling.
nachjo chip
how about we make an awsome 2d racing game (with a good physics engine if any of us has the knowhow) that can be played online?

I think it would be alot cooler if the racing game had arcade elements instead of "realistic racing". Im talking pickups, crashing, possibly shooting and ofcourse the possibility to upgrade the car for ingame money (engine, tires, gas tank size (if we have a gas meter in the game), guns etc etc)

I think it would be awsome if we get a control system where we cotrol our car with the mouse. It would work like this:
-(the level is seen from above btw)
-move the mouse anywhere on screen
-left mousebutton is accelerate. hold this and the car will try to drive towards the mousecursor in a straight a line as possible.
-physics make it "skid" in turns etc
-also we need to have it not do very, very sharp turns (like 90 degrees)
-right mousebutton is brake (non-ABS).

do you understand what im trying to say?

i think that would be cool anyway

(then when the game is done we submit it to digg.com and we all digg it and it will get popular Very Happy)
ashik
The idea sounds good, but we also need to finalize the platform and the language (and a tool/library) we are going to use.
photographerguy
That sounds cool. I'm a big fan of the Mad Max films, what do you think about something similiar to that? What did you all have in mind?
Kaneda
nachjo chip wrote:
Im talking pickups, crashing, possibly shooting and ofcourse the possibility to upgrade the car for ingame money (engine, tires, gas tank size (if we have a gas meter in the game), guns etc etc)

I think it would be awsome if we get a control system where we cotrol our car with the mouse.

May Kaneda the motorcycle nut just suggest that you add his favorite (only, if he could always have his way) mode of transportation to the mix? Wink There are way too few (read: "pretty much none") good racing games that feature bikes. Something to play with in the wintertime Smile

I used to do some games programming (C/C++ and DirectX/OpenGL) - but mainly reverse engineering for what turned out to be ScummVM, and my job means more than enough programming as it is. So I'll pass on the practical side Wink

But it sounds like you can easily get a good team together. Smile
ainieas
I'm really interested but I'm not good with computer languages! Sad What I'm good with is writing, so if you want plots, lyrics or dialogues or something like that, I'd really like to join your team. Smile
dz9c
RTS all the way, and easier to, no?
nachjo chip
i imagine using the PyGame library/whatver for Python would be best seeing as most people know it.
4ndY
nachjo chip, i definitely like your idea about arcade 2D cars game, and its pretty much possible to make.
Only i cant join dev-team yet (i wrote already reason up there - dont have time right now), but if u need some advice or suggestion - I'll still be around here Smile
Wd64
I worked music on an MMO once. I know C++ and since I'm good with web design (I like to think Razz) I could easily make a website for the game(s)

As for your arcade 2d cars idea, it wouldn't be too hard to make such a game, so you might want to try that.
nachjo chip
i just read an article about a dude who made an RPG in python in only 40 hours all by himself, so for some reason my confidence is boosted. also, easter is upon us, giving us all lots of free time Smile
i will start programming the game today.

(yes, the spelling, grammar and general crap above, but hey, im lazy).
photographerguy
OK, sweet.

Since this is your project, you have the final say in decisions.

What type of game is it going to be?
What is the story/background?

I will start working on graphics, illustrations, etc, I just need direction.
chennai
i dont know anything.but i can take care of the storyboard/theme of the game
TenchCloakedFigure
☠I'll help with scripting, if you want or do you need me at drawing(if so, manga style, or not?). I'll take any postion you give me.☠

TrenchCloakedFigure
rayxzero
You can use this graphics engine if you want http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ than making engine from scratch using directX or openGL. By now i chooses that engine for the game editor i was trying to make, more like an RPG Game Editor like final fantasy or suikoden 1/2 with a top view/birds eye scrolling cameras. I've also used that engine to make a demo for my friends to make them help me on my rpg game project because I'm not that good on graphics (3d modeling, textures), I'm only good with programming.

Here's some of my old demo screen shot created on Irrlicht Engine: