FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you make your own comics?

Blaster
Well i made a cople of comics myself. I used www.stripcreator.com But i want to know if there is a better comic maker out there. Should be on the computer and should allow 3 or more cells.
eepman
I draw my own comic in fireworks/photoshop. Theres only 3 issues on my page now, but im always planning on adding more.
eku53ru
I've tried many times to make my own comics, but after a few pages of drawing I lose interest in the project itself. I normally draw my comics out on paper with a pencil, "ink" them with some kind of pen, scan them, and use Fireworks to fix it up.

Stripcreator is a pretty interesting site; I didn't know that there were sites where one could make their own comics like that. Shocked
rightclickscott
I have a webcomic which is slowly on the rise. I'm gonna be using this place a host now. My latest project is called 30 Extra Lives and you can find it here.
AG007
Right now I am trying to make a anime or whatever you want to called it. Very Happy But I want to do it in flash, I already draw the "main caracter". Now I only need to learn how to move it. If I do this movie, maybe I will post a preview in my website. I am excited but it goint to take a lot of work.

http://www.stripcreator.com/ is really cool, but I think anybody can make the figures on photoshop or fireworks and make the characters themselves.
baldheadedgames
I've tryied a few times, only finished one though, but I'll try again someday and will upload it somewhere and let you guys know. Anyways, I tried stripcreator before, and quickly got bored of it, but that's just because I loose interest easily. Very Happy
kazoe
I only use softwares to either paint my comic or remove the unneeded lines. You have more freedom that way, you make your own layout. That way, your creativeness will be pacticed.
ddukki
I'm trying to get started on a comic myself, but I can't seem to get my pen to move the way I'd like it. But I think my storyline's pretty strong.
eepman
http://www.mainada.net/comics

Holy crap. Live comic drawing. Draw and everyone sees. Much better than stripcreator.
rightclickscott
Guess what, I just edited my default template so it now says 2006 and so that every panel is even. Rejoice, we have updatedness!
AG007
eepman wrote:
http://www.mainada.net/comics

Holy crap. Live comic drawing. Draw and everyone sees. Much better than stripcreator.

Tha looks freaking cool. It is better than the scriptcreator.com that is for sure. But I think you can use paint for that instead. Smile Smile Smile
Guyon
Photoshop is the suggested way to make your own comics. It is a long process to make them correctly; using line layers, Flats channels, and then shading on other channels.

It is well worth doing it right, but is very time consuming.
Guyon
There is one other way to create really slick comics, that is to create your character in 3d program like Maya, 3ds Max, or Poser, then render to a file and come pose in the comic frame. Usually involving Photoshop again.

You may also want a cartoon shader plugin.
Jayfarer
When I was twelve, yeah. I have a little file of thirty or so paper stapled together to make "books".
ehecatl
I make comics, or rather, manga starts that don't ever get finished, but I do mine on paper... No special computer-y like techniques for me... I'm sorry, that doesn't seem to answer your question at all... Sad
rightclickscott
Every big name webcomic, including ctrl-alt-del, machall, and applegeeks, use Photoshop. I'm stuck with using Appleworks and Photostudio.
Guyon
When it comes down to it it is the artist and not the program you use. A talented artist can use a budget program and create a much better comic than an amature using the best.

Also many pros stated with simple paper drawings and they were lucking enough to have the right person see them.

Keep drawing anyway you can!!!!!
rightclickscott
And when you look at mine, it's crap compared to, say, Machall. Hell, I'm doing a freaking Sprite comic now. It's like a new low for me. Not for 8 Easy Bits. Sorry, but me and Pat had some discrepencies awhile back. You think I should go apologize to him for being a complete ******? Because it was totally all my fault.
Guyon
OK here is the way you can make really great looking comics.

You have to start small. You can draw a line perfectly right? Not a straight line but a line.

Now make a simple object, just the shape. Make sure the shape is as perfect as you can make it. Now add detail, then shading. I am sure you will surprise yourself.

If you want to do people you have to get an anatomy source (book or on-line). Now do the same for your person, make a stick figure, but make it perfect. then add circles and ovals. make sure you are happy before you move on.

Turn the circles into muscles, get the idea. Keep working on it make make it perfect before you move on.

The biggest mistake in drawing is that most people do not start simple and then they hurry to the next step.

Now practice, practice, practice. Draw every day! There is no differnce between drawing, and playing a musical instrument. If you don't practice you don't improve.

I hope this helps.
HDirtwater
I used to draw comic books when I was in high school, and I like to draw comic strips now, but there is one small problem. I really suck at drawing. Then again, so does Scott Adams (Dilbert) and look what happened to him.
exarkun
I started joining the manga drawing club in my high school only recently, so, I hope to produce quality drawings before digitalising it. Smile
ashen
Sometime I draw manga just for fun or when I bored. I'm not serious to learn how to make a good manga. I better draw doujinshi than manga.
But I think, my skill is still poor... T_T
rightclickscott
Hey, guys, I've been having some problems with doing a new comic. For some reason, I'm have no ideas on how to continue 30 Extra Lives, so I'm looking for help. If anyone has any good ideas, joke, or really anything 30EL or Contra related, post or PM me. I'm really desperate on this.
Game Fortress
I have an awesome comic that I want to put on the web... Before I do, i want to get a computer drawing tablet, to speed up the process
delishnoodles
eku53ru wrote:
I've tried many times to make my own comics, but after a few pages of drawing I lose interest in the project itself. I normally draw my comics out on paper with a pencil, "ink" them with some kind of pen, scan them, and use Fireworks to fix it up.

Stripcreator is a pretty interesting site; I didn't know that there were sites where one could make their own comics like that. Shocked

Thats true. I just went to StripCreator and that was weird. Anyways, I do prefer pen and paper but I dont want to waste paper on comics that im not satisfied with. There's not much motivation in creating a comic who no one reads. *sniff*
delishnoodles
exarkun wrote:
I started joining the manga drawing club in my high school only recently, so, I hope to produce quality drawings before digitalising it. Smile

OMFG!! There's a Manga Drawing club at your school? Lucky, theres only art classes here...*sniff* Where's your school?
drkarthi
I m interested in Creating comics but there is one problem- I really suck at drawing. I tried striptcreator but got tired within half hour.
TwinkleCarnage
I'm making my own manga, so I can't really talk about it or release anything, because I hope to get it published one day (meaning when I finally finish it). I'm such a procrastinator! Laughing
rightclickscott
TwinkleCarnage wrote:
I'm making my own manga, so I can't really talk about it or release anything, because I hope to get it published one day (meaning when I finally finish it). I'm such a procrastinator! Laughing

You and 1,000 other Otakus, buddy.
TwinkleCarnage
No, I got a pretty good plot and my art is pretty good......and i've been doing this type of stuff for years......I think I have a pretty good chance.......even if you don't. I have a lot of confidence in myself. Very Happy
rightclickscott
TwinkleCarnage wrote:
....I think I have a pretty good chance.......even if you don't.

Heh, good one. I've already got a fanbase, not a big one, but still, a nice fanbase nontheless. All I need is to start giving my artists the scripts, and get rid of this terrible writer's block I have for 30EL. All I'm saying is that I see tons of people just like you acting like that because they think they have a good comic, that they will have a good chance at becoming a bigshot comic artist. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stop you, in fact, I think it's good to see so many different stories out there from so many people, it keeps the bigshots at Washington from controlling the internet. In fact, I'll support you with some advertising. You just need to understand that you are definetly not alone when it comes to being a small time comic artist.
TwinkleCarnage
Well, I never said I was alone, and I wasn't denying the fact that there are other talents out there....I just didn't like how you originally responded....it came off as rather arrogant and rude. My apologizes. And I don't like releasing things, because, well, one of my ideas has been stolen once already. Would rather not repeat it. Sad
rightclickscott
Hey, I know how you feel. 3 years ago, I released a character called Seth Xtreme, who punched himself in the balls as a running joke. At E3 2004, G4's X-play created a character called Johnny Extreme, who, too, punched his balls as a running joke...

Yeah, I was completely ripped off.

I can be arrogant or rude sometimes, but I've seen so many like you try to same thing, and about 75% of them didn't get recognized at all. I'd help you with anything I could, but I just think you're going to go down as another statistic.
Eiken
One of the reasons I wanted to be hosted here was so I'd have webspace for a comic. Though I haven't actually made a comic yet per say, but I'm working on the preliminary designs for characters in a comic I want to start making. My art's not great, but you can tell when a person's a person, and I think my jokes are funny, I mean, I can make people laugh, so that's a plus.
rightclickscott
You should try writing out all of your comics first, or atleast scripts, and then get the hosting so you can keep a regular update schedule. That's why my comics are all over the place, because my best comedy comes from improvisation, so I only really write backstories and think over how each comic should go and write every joke as it comes to me. But that's also my big flaw. 1: I can't do any comics while I'm absolutely depressed I.E. right now, while I'm still getting over getting dumped by one girl, and getting rejected by another, so I'm not that funny right now and 2: It's hard to keep a regular update schedule because I need to work everything out in advance, and that's not how improv works. It all depends on the creator, and if you send me some samples, I'd be happy to judge your work.
Eiken
Well the way I like to do it, is to come up with like the basic idea for a story arc or something like that, and then just make it up as I go along. I don't like to have the whole set up at once because if I just let it sit there, I might not find it as funny a week from now as it is when I wrote it, even if it actually is. I'd send you some samples, but I want the characters to have there final designs before I start posting anything. Plus I don't even have preliminary designs for some of them yet.
rightclickscott
Ok, sure. In the mean time, I'm gonna start thumbnailing storyboards for new comics on my wall.
TwinkleCarnage
Quote:
Hey, I know how you feel. 3 years ago, I released a character called Seth Xtreme, who punched himself in the balls as a running joke. At E3 2004, G4's X-play created a character called Johnny Extreme, who, too, punched his balls as a running joke...

Yeah, I was completely ripped off.

I can be arrogant or rude sometimes, but I've seen so many like you try to same thing, and about 75% of them didn't get recognized at all. I'd help you with anything I could, but I just think you're going to go down as another statistic.

Wow, that totally sucks. Can't you sue? or anything? I mean if you had the character copyrighted, by G4 doing that it would have been copyright infringement.

I think most people can be. And it's not very nice. And I will not go down as another statistic. Trust me. Eventually, I will go somewhere. I'm still young you know. ^_^
rightclickscott
Well, for one, he wasn't really copyrighted at the time. Because of my constant switching of host and only recent use of copyrighting, he wasn't around back then, according to copyright law. Not only that, but the G-4 network (those bastards) is more powerful than a small-time webcomic.
Jaded
i get pretty excited when i start a new comic, but mine are kinda the graphic novel types, so after 2-3 pages i lose interest and end up throwing it in with all the other 468 comics i tried to start.

school work is really beating the heck outta me so i cant really concentrate on comics...and plus, my mom thinks im turning into a guy. Shocked

0_o
rightclickscott
Jaded wrote:
i get pretty excited when i start a new comic, but mine are kinda the graphic novel types, so after 2-3 pages i lose interest and end up throwing it in with all the other 468 comics i tried to start.

school work is really beating the heck outta me so i cant really concentrate on comics...and plus, my mom thinks im turning into a guy. Shocked

0_o

Heh, well, that shouldn't encourage you not to do comics. Alot of comic artists have had alot of trouble. You shouldn't be too hasty with a comic, pick a topic you really want to do, and start doing bigtime stuff once you have alot of them. You shouldn't do comics you'll only want to do for a week then stop, because there has to be some really big project in your mind that you want to do, and you should do it in conserved doses.
Terrasis-Cian
Thats a really handy link, Cheers. I get my inspiration from dilbert. i think scott adams is a genius!
Kurosaki-Ichigo
Sorry to dissapoint you but i dont there is anything else. I use paint shop pro and it works out just fine.
hlavco
I make comics on the free drawing program, Inkscape. I could draw them, but whenever I draw a comic, I always rush the drawing because I don't want to forget the line. I'm sure I won't forget it, but my comics always wind up rushed-looking anyway. Plus, I don't own a scanner, so computer-drawing is the only way I can get my stuff out there to be seen. Spam.
corycaly
I'm working on 2 scenarios, called Key masters and Last Will. All the scenes are writen and I'm finishing the chara design. Since I'm a member of a french fanzine, the others members will help me!
some of my pics are here
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7297/corinne0011iq3.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2885/cophotoshopcopieye4.jpg
http://accel3.mettre-put-idata.over-blog.com/0/42/29/54/sita-en-cola-re.jpg
CMA
I suck at drawing, but I was thinking of making a comic (I dunno if I'll make it a webcomic or not) with 3D characters/scenarios.

As for making the pages, Adobe Photoshop CS and Adobe Illustrator CS work great.
HereticMonkey
I write "Sex Percussions", and it's a fun little series...

HM
HDirtwater
I've started on stripcreator now, and it's a lot of fun. There are some really funny people over there, and also a lot of total garbage. For those of us who can't really draw, it's a good way to learn and practice the "art" of writing for comic strips. Timing and dialogue are just as important, if not more so, than the art in a strip. You can check out my stuff at:

http://www.stripcreator.com/comics/Herschel_Dirtwater