FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Noisy computer problem!

hrtorrent
I have a problem with noisy computer. Recently I change motherboard and processor (it is new celeron with own cooler) and power supply too. When I turn on computer its ok for several minutes, and then comes high frequency noise (like whistle).
4ndY
hrtorrent wrote:
I have a problem with noisy computer. Recently I change motherboard and processor (it is new celeron with own cooler) and power supply too. When I turn on computer its ok for several minutes, and then comes high frequency noise (like whistle).

Try speedfan (google: speedfan download) to reduce RPM of your fans - if noise is still too high > buy better, brandname cooler (example: zalman).

p.s. before buying, try to clean fans Smile
Xeniczone
I can't really give you a solution but I can tell you.

It's probably the cpu fan. This is because when you first turn your computer on it is cool. When it heats up the fan gets faster, meaning when the fan get's so fast it makes that whisle noise.

There relly is no solution other then replace the cpu fan. And if it is a pentium 4 version of a celeron then your in some trouble becuase there fans are hell to get off.

I wouldn't do this quite yet wait and see what others have to say.

One more thing that may be an issue is your case. What was in it before. What kind of case is it. Highly unlikely but you fan my try to spin fast because of poor curculation. like if you upgraded from a pentium 2 it wouldn't have the curculation that pentium 4 celerons require because they didn't have heat issues back then.

Something I forgot to mention as a good example. Dells pentium 4s if you have ever seen there heat sink set up you would think it is a joke. But there is a reason behind it the reason is there cases look the way they want them. But they dont have the right curculation so they send it right out the back with a wind tunnel kind of thing.
Helios
Clean the fan and put some oil. (ask in the closest PC store near your home)

If that does't solve the issue, get a new fan.
They aren't so expensive...

Oh, maybe it's the power supply fan.
If it is, you can get a fan from older PS.
Boles Roor
Put your vacuumcleaner on it for a few seconds to clear the dust. If that doesn't help, replace it as everyone else said.
izcool
When you use a vacuum cleaner, make sure you don't get too close to where you knock parts of the motherboard or suck up any of the shuns (that fit on the jumpers) as they are really hard to find as you can imagine, especially from in a vaccuum that's dirty. I recommend giving your computer a good dusting that might knock some dust from the fans, I recommend a can of compressed air that can be bought at Walmart for only a few dollars.

- Mike.
SoftStag
If this is a really high pitched noise like you say, then it is not likely to be the fan. I have come accross this before where it is acutally a component on the motherboard, requiring the motherboard to be replaced. Try running the PC without the side on to see if you can locate where the noise is coming from.
MonkeyWrench
find out where the noise is from, it does sound like ur cpu fan, they can sometimes be cheap with the processor you bought, have that replaced and see, but i dont see whats wrong with a pc that makes a little noise Smile
superbyte
The sounds like the one you explain, are offen caused by high temperature as was explained before in this forum. When you change computer parts, they use different configurations related to voltage used bye the processor, cooling fan speed and so on. Your problem seems to me like the fan speed is not enough for cooling your processor. You can test if this is your case by opening the computer, put an external fan (The one used for people in bedrooms or wherever). If after some minutes your computer keeps working OK, then you just need to by a new cooling fan (They're very cheap) and also check your new motherboard's manual to see the correct settings about CPU voltage (Higher voltage than spected causes overheating).
broti
Could also be a proble with wires or something. Might be hanging against your fan. Or maybe it isnt place right. Dont know about the celeron coolers. But celeron isnt best quality. How about their coolers. Cheap ones? Zalman has great coolers. Could it be it aint the Cpu cooler or just your harddisk or some other fan? If that fan aint right, it falls under waranty. Sow ask the ppl where u bought it! I hate noisy pc's. My pc is running all day sow cant stand noise. Hope ull fix it. Wink
appsapps
I have a P1 that was purchased in 1997 that has made a sound that can only be compared to the human equivalent to a dog whistle...and it has done this for almost 10 years now. I never did discover what made the noise, and the pc works great...always has and it has outlived all my other pc's.

I found that since everything was ok in it, that it was more of an annoyance to my ears than anything else. Music was a great way to mask it so that it didn't drive me or my daughter insane.

Odd thing about this noise though...seems most people can't hear it unless they spend a few days at my house and are exposed to it on a constant basis for that length of time.

If that is the type of noise you are hearing i wouldn't worry that much about it. But if it sounds more like a jet engine or motorcycle, it is definately you need to do something about.

Cleaning the fans as suggested by others might be a good place to start. if that doesn't seem to fix the problem, then check your cpu usage. Some fans will become VERY noisy if there is high cpu usage. If it suddenly kicks in making noise, look at the task manager and see what program is out of control and raising your cpu usage so high. Try disabling that program and see if that helps prevent it from happening.

You can also try booting up into safe mode and letting it run for awhile just to see if it does it. If it doesn't, then it has to be something software related (or drivers).
dayers
It is either your CPU fan or your power supply fan. One way to tell which one it is is to unplug your CPU fan and start your computer for just a few seconds. If you still hear the noise, then it's the power supply fan. If you don't hear the noise, then it's the CPU fan. Just be sure not to leave your computer run for more than a few seconds, or your CPU will get hot.
x-stream
Maybe there is a problem with your Soundcard. Usually, The Soundcard is connected to the build-in PC-Speaker (You know, these stupid thing which makes sounds when you have no soundcard installed). Try to take out your soundcard or disconnect it from the speakers!
Good luck Wink
SoftStag
x-stream wrote:
Maybe there is a problem with your Soundcard. Usually, The Soundcard is connected to the build-in PC-Speaker (You know, these stupid thing which makes sounds when you have no soundcard installed). Try to take out your soundcard or disconnect it from the speakers!
Good luck Wink

I have never seen a PC speaker connected to the soundcard. I don't think this is the case at all.
x-stream
But there is one! Maybe not in your PC, but when I open my Computer and look at the Soundcard, there is a wire to a speaker which sticks at the front of my PC, so its a build-in-speaker!
(This speaker makes the sound when you use the command "beep" in MS QuickBasic... Maybe that helps you... Smile )
SoftStag
x-stream wrote:
But there is one! Maybe not in your PC, but when I open my Computer and look at the Soundcard, there is a wire to a speaker which sticks at the front of my PC, so its a build-in-speaker!
(This speaker makes the sound when you use the command "beep" in MS QuickBasic... Maybe that helps you... Smile )

This would normally connect to the motherboard, not the soundcard. I have seen the insides of thousands of PCs, I repair them and build them, but have never seen the configuration you say.
romaop
Perhaps the case is doing some ressonance. Adjusting a little the case may solve. There are also some things you can buy to reduce noise.
Or a fan that should be cleaned up.
Or a fan not working at all.
Or other worse thing.

Well, open the case and try to find from where the noise is coming. Ask help from your friends.
x-stream
SoftStag wrote:
This would normally connect to the motherboard, not the soundcard. I have seen the insides of thousands of PCs, I repair them and build them, but have never seen the configuration you say.

hmm... but Im sure! You know, that there's a wire to the cd-drive? The wire I mean is beside that. (My soundcard is v e r y old, so maybe it's not usual... Confused )
SoftStag
x-stream wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

hmm... but Im sure! You know, that there's a wire to the cd-drive? The wire I mean is beside that. (My soundcard is v e r y old, so maybe it's not usual... Confused )

There is a wire from the soundcard to the CD drive, this is the CD audio output from the CD drive. This is not always used any more as modern systems use digital out via the IDE channel and this is then converted to sound by software.

If your soundcard and CD drive are very very old, then the drive controller (IDE or other) may be on the soundcard, so there will be a ribbon cable going from the soundcard to the CD drive.
x-stream
I think its not that old...
but lets forget that, it has nothing to do with the "noisy problem"...
Clash
Best thing for this is a process of elimination. Open the case and start disconnecting things. Start with CDROM and pull the power connector from it. Then disconnect power from any chassis fans (not CPU or PSU fan). If those fail, disconnect PC speaker from mobo and then disconnect external speakers. finally get a pen and stop (for a very short time) the PSU fan and the CPU fan. Only stop them long enough to establish the noise is not coming from them.

Have a look around the Mobo, and see if there are any other moving parts. Finally disconnect all drives and external fans and see if you can pinpoint the sound. You should only have the PSU and CPU fans running.
rex123
Id be most suspicious of the power supply fan. Cheap power supplies (was it cheap?) come with bad fans in my experience. The most high-pitched sounds are normally from hard drives, but since you haven't changed that, it's probably not that. Next most likely is the CPU fan. Run the power supply on its own without anything plugged in to test.
Clash
rex123 wrote:
Id be most suspicious of the power supply fan. Cheap power supplies (was it cheap?) come with bad fans in my experience. The most high-pitched sounds are normally from hard drives, but since you haven't changed that, it's probably not that. Next most likely is the CPU fan. Run the power supply on its own without anything plugged in to test.

It's actually easier to stop the fan with a pencil or pen. you usually don't even have to open the case to do this unless yours is one of those power supplies with the fan in the bottom.

The description of the noise as being 'like a dog whistle' doesn't sound like a PSU fan to me though. That sort of white noise is more like a cdrom drive or some sort of speaker interference. PSU fans when they get dirty sound more like a groaning noise or a loud hum.
grantmaster
Quote:
It is either your CPU fan or your power supply fan
not necessarily...

I once repaired a Loud Sytem where the problem was just a noisy hard drive. The noise it made was like a small motor spinning very rapidly...

easy to diagnose, fasten your anti-static clip, pop the cover, unhook the power lead to the hard drive and turn on the system. A few seconds should tell if that's it...
Clash
I think we're wasting our time with these suggestions. The original poster has not posted on this thread since his original question in February Sad
lieutenant_Allaire
High frequency noise that not occur when computer is cold but after a time could be a defect capacitor.

It is very difficult to locate the physical source of a high frequency noise.

This could be the monitor!

Try turn off the monitor when the sound is present.
Does the mad sound still ?
hrtorrent
lieutenant_Allaire wrote:
High frequency noise that not occur when computer is cold but after a time could be a defect capacitor.

It is very difficult to locate the physical source of a high frequency noise.

This could be the monitor!

Try turn off the monitor when the sound is present.
Does the mad sound still ?

It is not monitor. It was graphics card cooler fan, full with dust. After cleaning high noise gone...