FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to buy a new CPU cooling

Helios
I have the P4 prescott stock cooling(45 C in idle mode and not OCed..).

I'm thinking about getting a Scythe Ninja PLUS cooling(including a Scythe 120mm fan) and finally OC my 3GHz P4 processor.

I read some reviews and in all of them Scythe Ninja was the best.

Is there something better?

The maximum I can spend is around 63$.
TheGeek
i personally like zelman (SP?) heatsink/fan combos. I use one on my gfx card and it works great, it has really good circulation and since its an all cooper sink it disipates heat rather well.

iv never heard of the one your refering to so it may be just as good, and im also not an expert on processor heat sinks since i dont OC that part of my computer....
ocalhoun
Buy a cheap air conditioner, and duct its output into your computer case in such a way to blow directly on the cpu. Then turn the air conditioner on full blast.

I once built a computer into a truck, and that strategy worked great for keeping it cool. (Unfortunately, the computer frequently crashed because the HDD couldn't stand the vibration.)
SoftStag
I have a Scythe Kamakase and would recommend it. Scythe make excellent heatsinks.
Boles Roor
My vote goes to the Zalman 9500. http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=165&code=009
I have it and got a real good OC on air on my AMD X2 4400+.
4ndY
I recommend u Zalman's products, but if u can, buy or make liquid cooling system - no sound, no heat Smile
webmastering
Scythe makes great products for cooling. The fan capabilites that they put on them can sometimes be overkill if you do not plan to overclock your processor. The one i have works great, but i had to turn the fan speed down really low because at the highest speed it made my computer sound like a windtunnel Smile Zalman also makes great heatsinks and accessories if you were looking for an other option.
Helios
What are your opinions about Thermaletake's Big Typhoon?
Boles Roor
It's decent, but the 16dB they advertise at their site is only when in silent mode. When blowing at full capacity it'll be somewhere near 25dB. It's also annoying to mount and extremely heavy. There are one or two reports of bend motherboards.