FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

American History X

American History X is?
The greatest movie
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
A failry good movie
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
A fairly poor movie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The worst movie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Jack_Hammer
Is the one (If not the) greatest movies you have ever seen?, the way it was done it is just so powerful and moving, I thought. Please post your views on this film.
mschnell
It was really powerful and moving, but I can't call it the best movie ever for that. In fact, there are some movies like that, that I just can't really opreciate. For instance, Requiem for a Dream. The movie just left me with a really bad feeling and I didn't like it.
kung_fu_stu
Just to start with, for the record, I would put American Histroy X in the fairly good movie section.

My main point, however, pertains to the comment about how Requiem for a Dream "just left me with a really bad feeling." A good movie should be considered art and the fact that it left you with a bad FEELING, is the point of the movie. A movie SHOULD effect you in some way. That is what makes it art.

Also, for the record, I would put Requiem for a Dream in the "F**K*D" category. Which I would actually put American History X in as well; so it is not necessarily a bad thing.[/u]
mschnell
You can say that. A lot of people I know rate movies for their "artistic" values and how much they move you. Yet, I find this somewhat silly. If a movie's going to leave you feeling bad, I don't think the fact that it makes you feel strongly is a good reason to watch it. I think we watch movies for entertainment and what sort of entertainment is something that leaves me feeling terrible?
ml
i liked the film mostly because of edward norton.
hes simply a very talented actor. i also liked his movie fight club
Kaneda
Voted "fairly good". It has some problems, and at points it seems to put its point across a bit too forcefully, but it keeps you entertained, and the craftsmanship is good Smile

mschnell wrote:
If a movie's going to leave you feeling bad, I don't think the fact that it makes you feel strongly is a good reason to watch it. I think we watch movies for entertainment and what sort of entertainment is something that leaves me feeling terrible?

I'll have to disagree with "we watch movies for entertainment". A lot of people do, but that doesn't mean movies can't be used for something other than that. There's nothing wrong with a film that merely exists to entertain, but there's nothing wrong with a movie that exists for other reasons either, such as provoking thought or providing insight into some issue - be it political, social or psychological.

Also, there are more ways to entertain (for me) than just leaving you with a good feeling. The visual or aural ideas of a film can be entertaining in and of themselves. The ups and downs of the characters can be entertaining in the same way as a rollercoaster ride can be (to use the common image). The development of the plot can be entertaining, no matter what direction it takes for better or worse.

Of course, I'm not saying your opinion of the film is wrong (as if I could), and you have every right to dislike it (like a lot of other people), but there's nothing silly about also taking into account other aspects of a film than whether it's a feel-good flick or not Smile
Jayfarer
mschnell wrote:
You can say that. A lot of people I know rate movies for their "artistic" values and how much they move you. Yet, I find this somewhat silly. If a movie's going to leave you feeling bad, I don't think the fact that it makes you feel strongly is a good reason to watch it. I think we watch movies for entertainment and what sort of entertainment is something that leaves me feeling terrible?

Because movies aren't always about entertainment. It's about evoking some emotion from you, and the ones that move you out of your comfort zone are often the ones that provoke you to think about the world and the state of things, rather than ignoring it.

It's like why people watch Horror movies even if it scares them to death, or sad love stories even if it makes them cry.

Movies like American History X are uncomfortable and depressing, but because they should be that way. Racism, hate crimes, they are horrible aspects of humanity, and if you're going to make a movie about it, you have to convey the kind of dark spot on the soul that it really is. It's just not something people should ignore and blissfully go about their business as if these things don't happen.

Although AHX is a little more pushy and slightly hamfisted (All it took was one comic relief black guy to change his mind? That's kind of a shallow twist) So I only put it at "fairly good"