FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Knoppix STD

x-stream
Mabe you know the OS Knoppix STD (=Security Tools Distribution). It´s an OS which uses just a CD to boot. but when you want to access a Hard Drive, then you have to mount it. what´s the command for this?
mount <something> <somewhere>? And what is something, where is somewhere?
Question, Questions...
can someone help me?
manumiglani
use ahead nero for this.
{name here}
x-stream wrote:
Mabe you know the OS Knoppix STD (=Security Tools Distribution). It´s an OS which uses just a CD to boot. but when you want to access a Hard Drive, then you have to mount it. what´s the command for this?
mount <something> <somewhere>? And what is something, where is somewhere?
Question, Questions...
can someone help me?

Everything you need to know about mount. Type this in your terminal.
Code:
man mount

Look in the /dev dir and see what HD partitions you have (they have hd followed by a number), and mount depending on the filesystem.
bboy_nycb
Sometimes if you have a look ar the /etc/fstab file, you will find all the options for your command mount to one filesystem.
ocalhoun
In knoppix, make sure you mount it as read/write. By default it mounts the HD as read-only.
NoRemorseMusic
i like this for messing with wireless networks
NoRemorseMusic
i like this for messing with wireless networks
ezekiel_rage
manumiglani wrote:
use ahead nero for this.

Are you for real?

Anyway, to answer the original question:

open a console/terminal.

you have to be root to be able to mount or unmount drives.

to do this type su and hit enter

to make sure that you are already a Super User look at your prompt.

A normal user's promot is a dolar sign ($)

A root/ Super User's prompt is a # sign.

Once you have root priviledges, issue the command:

mount - FSTYPE -o 'umask=0, isocharset=iso8859-1' /dev/hdX /mnt/point/

You should get read/write access to the drives.

For example, you want to mount the first partition of the PRIMARY MASTER hard drive/device which is formatted in FAT32 filsystem, and you want to mount it in a folder named files in your home directory. you use this:

mount -t vfat -o 'umask=0, isocharset=iso8859-1' /dev/hda1 /home/files

but if the partition is formatted in ntfs you use this instead:

mount -t ntfs -o 'umask=0, isocharset=iso8859-1' /dev/hda1 /home/files

you must first understand how linux assign names to devices to be able to use the mount command successfully.

hope this helps
ezekiel_rage
bboy_nycb wrote:
Sometimes if you have a look ar the /etc/fstab file, you will find all the options for your command mount to one filesystem.

Yes the best way to PERMANENTLY mount devices is by editing the fstab file. That is to ensurethat devices will mount everytime you boot.

But with live-CDs like Knoppix and its derivatives, once you turn off the system, all your settings are gone. so its easier or more convinient to just issue the mount command.

of course with knoppix you have the option to save your configuration to the hard drive, but if i may assume, the original post is about Knoppix STD whisch is a specialized distro, and i doubt that you would want to leave traces of your activity in the hard drive

I surely would not.

But then thats just me
simp
is knoppix std ever going to be updated? it tried 0.1 and it was great. but that was two years ago! last i saw there has been no active development since then. it would be a shame for the project to just die. if there's not going to be any more development on it i wish they would just say so.