FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Marvel Vs Dc

Marvel or DC
Marvel
70%
 70%  [ 17 ]
DC
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 24

Yantaal
Someone was going to do it, im just glad it was me.

Im going for marvel. Why? Daredevil.
Tasa
You need a 3rd option. I personal like some from both of them. But since you only have the two choices. DC cause they are publishing MegaTokyo now.
Yantaal
just ou t of curiosity, your avatar is a Guild Wars character? am i correct.
bassgs_17
I voted Marvel, because of Magneto. I think it's suspicios that there is a huge steel forge named magnitogorsk in Russia...
-Aquastrike
gh0stface
Currently, I think DC is reigning supreme over Marvel. The current storylines for DC, Infinite Crisis, has been a lot better then Marvel's House of M.

Although the Other storyline for Spider-Man has been pretty good.
Dean_The_Great
I tend to look at the characters as a whole of both, and say that Marvel is superior. For example:

The Fantastic Four - Cool because: Four people, four powers, powerful and yet still shunned from ever living a normal life.

The X-Men - Cool because: Mutations have begun in the human race! Some are bad people, some are good.... good comic.

Spider-Man - Cool because: He's got the abilities of a spider! Web swinging, spider sense, strength, agility... but a gun shot to the head and he's still dead. Also has the really cool "still trying to be normal" situation.

Daredevil - Cool because: Daredevil plays off of the the myth that when one sense is lost, the others are heightened... but in everyday life he's still blind.

Those are only a few examples, now DC has a couple good ones, but even they have downsides that are hard to pass sometimes.

Batman - Cool because: He's got the insane revenge thing going for him... and as long as he's made really dark he's damn cool. Lame because: He's just a rich dude who's really mad.

Superman - Cool because: He can do EVERYTHING. Lame because: He can do EVERYTHING. C'mon! Spare some powers for the rest of 'em!

Green Lantern - Lame because: He's a dude with a ring.

That's my opinion anyway.... Marvel's got some better characters and I think it allows them to tell more compelling stories. Albeit some of the characters still stink (Jubilee?! Fun at Labour day, useless in a fight).
Tasa
Yantaal wrote:
just ou t of curiosity, your avatar is a Guild Wars character? am i correct.

Yes it is. Female Necromancer, named Raeya Tasa
driftingfe3s
I grew up with reading Marvel books. I found characters like spider-man and the x-men more appealing that those of DC for some reason.
gh0stface
I pretty much grew up on Spider-Man. Then I found Batman who I really liked. He's a hero who doesn't have any powers and is only human who relies pretty much on his brains to take down super criminals to survive. I think the best quote comes from an issue which I don't recall, which is something like, "I have to be at least five moves ahead of his enemies, with five contingency plans, and five backup plans for those contingencies at all times."
Yantaal
You can argue that alot of characters are very similar though i mean:

The Flash:Pedro
Daredevi:Bat Man

well thats all i can think of right now, but i know that there is more.

Anyone think of any?
ainieas
I grew up with Batman but later found the world of X-Men, Spider-Man, Spider-Girl, Dare-Devil, Electra.

My favourite comic book of al time? Wolverine: Origin. Highly recommended if you aint read it.

Fav comic? Conan the Barbarian
Jayfarer
DC.

Marvel pioneered human, appealing characters. They deserve credit for that.

But today, DC has refined and perfected their characters over the years so that they're these interesting archetypes. The whole Batman mythology alone, from the death of the 2nd robin, to the parallels with the Joker, to the strained relationship with Nightwing, to his alienating of other super heroes through his paranoid fail safes, are all just interesting layers that make it a great read.

Whenever I read DC books, there's always this strong sense of legacy behind it. I like that. It's like I'm reading modern day mythology, and that's pretty much what DC is. It's just intensely interesting, the legacy and history so many of their characters have, while taking things in a new direction.

That, and DC has Vertigo, one of the best imprints around for darker, adult comics.
dragonflame
I feel better continuity with DC than with marvel, plus I emphatize with the characters more...and DC has vertigo! sandman, hellblazer, last man on earth, etc...

The whole mutant thing is a bit overdone for me. It's like, you can fly, or shoot fireballs, and yet youre ashamed to be a freak? not to mention that you look like a supermodel. Come on. Can anyone even tell me what the main story is for xmen nowadays?

Regarding same powers for characters, I think both companies are guilty of copying each other at one point, but I think marvel is more guilty about this.

Some examples: (correct me if I am wrong)

plastic man came before mr. fantastic
flash came before pietro
hulk came before blockbuster or solomon grundy (dc villains)
darkseid came before thanos
superman, batman, wonder woman came before nearly everyone else...
etc etc

both companies need to let their characters stay dead more when they die though. (the whole superman dying thing is a mistake, imo). And the whole coming from the future thing is getting a bit old.
sonicj
I stopped buying comics back in the 80's...but back then it was definately Marvel hands down. I really should make it a point to get some new issues of both. Any suggestions as to a must get?
rightclickscott
If it came down between the two (which it does ever so often), I would say Marvel. I'm not saying that DC is bad, they have had some really good storylines and they do have my favorite hero, Batman, but Marvel just has so much more. Marvel has made very believable characters as well as some very cool superheroes, and it has only really been marvel all the way because they've always been on the more badass side of the spectrum. Whenever I'm reading a DC comic, I'm always annoyed by some pussy superhero with a lame power or a flamboyent costume, while Marvel, after going through the same things, changes enough so that spandex isn't standard issue. I have always enjoyed Marvel because of some really great things they've done, but they always come out better, even while average, to DC.
Scaramanga
Well you said to correct you...
dragonflame wrote:
plastic man came before mr. fantastic

Yeah, wrong.

dragonflame wrote:
darkseid came before thanos

They both came out about the same time (early 70s.) Although Jim Starlin, who created Thanos HAS admitted that he was inspired by Kirby's Darkseid.

dragonflame wrote:
superman, batman, wonder woman came before nearly everyone else...

Well you've got the "nearly" qualifier there, so how can I respond to this?

Just to give you an idea, here are some heros, and the year in which they first appeared:
Superman (DC) - 1938
Batman (DC) - 1939
Namor, Sub-Mariner (Marvel) - 1939
Human Torch (Marvel) - 1939
The Flash (DC) - 1940
Captain America (Marvel) - 1941
Wonder Woman (DC) - 1941
Aquaman (DC) - 1941
Fantastic Four (Marvel) - 1961
Incredible Hulk (Marvel) - 1962
Spider-Man (Marvel) - 1962
Iron Man (Marvel) - 1963
X-Men (Marvel) - 1963

NOTE: During the 50s the whole industry suffered a setback from the fallout of Dr. Wertham's book 'Seduction of the Innocent', which is why you don't see things really taking off again until the 60s.
TeK
I'd have to say Marvel. I've never really liked any (not an exaggeration...) of the DC comic series, I don't really know why.
My favorite marvel comics are Spiderman, X-men, Fantastic Four, and Incredible Hulk.
alkady
I like both Marvel and DC because they both have great comics, Marvel with Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Xmen, Daredevil & Hulk.

DC for Batman, Superman and so on. But I guess I'll go with Marvel because I like more of their comics.
Scaramanga
Oh, and to answer the original question. I've liked both at different times in my life. When I was younger I loved Marvel comics. Especially Spider-Man and the (Uncanny) X-Men. But when I started hitting my 20s, I started reading a lot more Vertigo titles.
urbanbuddha
I like spidey (marvel), but good 'ol batman (DC) is a close second.
Revvion
comics: Marvel, because of spiderman
TV: DC, because of justice legeau, batman etc..
reddishblue
Quote:

Batman - Cool because: He's got the insane revenge thing going for him... and as long as he's made really dark he's damn cool. Lame because: He's just a rich dude who's really mad.

Superman - Cool because: He can do EVERYTHING. Lame because: He can do EVERYTHING. C'mon! Spare some powers for the rest of 'em!

I don't think you have ever read a comic before and are being influenced by movies

Edit: Also Superman was created during the depression and America wanted some really powerful hero, please don't say superman is too overpowered, he was the first hero that inspired others, including precias MARVEL.
Just search for superman on http://www.monitersduty.com
Scaramanga
reddishblue wrote:
Quote:

I don't think you have ever read a comic before and are being influenced by movies

There's never been a Green Latern movie. And despite his flippant tone, most of those observations are fairly accurate. Also, I would posit that the poster is probably just trolling.
2nProductions
Marvel is actually more creative than DC, think about it they don't have a super man, each hero has his/her own specialty thus writers can write cool storylines for them (Marvel). Such as the House of M, when you lose your own child wouldn't you go crazy? The personality of each hero/heroine is realistic, as Marvel has show. And look with the Civil War. Comon the Marvel 616 world evenutally had to find out, and thus started War as Captain America didn't like that idea yet Iron Man did. They fought and so on and so on which was good.

I'm not saying DC isnt creative, (I think Infinity Crisis was better due to the fact that Hal Jordan went mad.) But Super Man, the man of steel wasn't shining after his re-birth, infact I think I liked it better when he died and before he died.
tyrant
Hmm, have you guys heard of wildstorm comics? , i think the concept the folks over there had were pretty good. Wouldn't say it was fantastic but certainly some of em were unique and it's a change from the usual Marvel/Dc
enviroment.

I like reading comics, but what pisses me off , is that for each series there are so many veriosn. Its like FF4, then there is ulitmate ff4 , and each 1 has their own variation and difference. It's quite hard to understand or fully comprehend the comic world, coz its ever-changing.

I've given up trying to follow everything, i usually stick to comics like spawn, spiderman and witchblade that dont have or hardly have variations. Read the ff4 and green lantern (old version) and i'm stopping at that.

Btw, batman rocks, he's what i call a realistic superhero, it is possible to have someone like him in our time frame.

FF4 is pretty good, coz the heros have powers which are actually quite limited. I like the fact that they use more of their brains then brute power to fend against villians.

spawn rocks!!! one of the coolest comic chars. witchblade is sexy!, spiderman was good, the cartoon series a major dissapointment, only 5 seasons and not enough of a storyline. Movie is good though.
Scaramanga
tyrant wrote:
Hmm, have you guys heard of wildstorm comics? , i think the concept the folks over there had were pretty good. Wouldn't say it was fantastic but certainly some of em were unique and it's a change from the usual Marvel/Dc enviroment.

Uhhh Wildstorm IS a DC imprint. Now they haven't always been (they started out under the big migration of creators who started Image Comics in the early 90s,) but they have for almost the past decade or so.

tyrant wrote:
Btw, batman rocks, he's what i call a realistic superhero, it is possible to have someone like him in our time frame.

I guess that depends on what you mean by 'possible'. I guess, sure, it's POSSIBLE that a billionaire would also be a brilliant detective and inventor, and that he would face-off against a whole slew of masked micreants with 'powers'. Not very probable though.
deftech
with xmen and spider man. dc has no chance i think to win this competition. marvel has been putting there comic book stories to life wich actually markets better. This marketing leading to being known by those who are fans to those who would have no clue. I think dc should get on the ball.
GProject
I'm a bit of a marvel boy, not that I don't enjoy some of the DC characters, it's just that I grew up reading Spider-man comics. Love that guy!
reddishblue
Also i mean the movie thing because there are so many marvel movies of every single character and dc only does supes and batty
Jayfarer
sonicj wrote:
I stopped buying comics back in the 80's...but back then it was definately Marvel hands down. I really should make it a point to get some new issues of both. Any suggestions as to a must get?

For DC, get some recent and well known trade paperbacks.

Batman: Year One (From the 80s, but you might have missed it)
Batman: Hush (Comes in two volumes)
Superman: Birthright
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Kingdom Come
JLA: Tower of Babel
DC: The New Frontier (Volume 1 and 2)
rayx
I really like marvel creation because of X-Men and Spiderman.
medievalman26
I personally like both DC and Marvel, but I have more Dark Horse Comics because they have Star Wars comics. But I still like both DC and Marvel equally. I had to vote for DC because it got the least amount on your poll. I agree with some of the others that you should have a both option instead. For me I like DC because they have Batman(before anyone says anything I do think it is kind of lame that he is a rich boy as his "secret identity") and Green Arrow. I like Marvel mostly for Wolverine and Daredevil (go DD). Of course I folow the story lines of the three of them, but recently it has become expensive and I had to cut it down to just Batman. Could someone please let me know what is going on now with Daredevil and Wolverine? I have lost track of things with the low funds and all. I would really appricate any and all pm's on that subject, thanks in advance.