FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Next-Gen DVD Copy-Protection Debacle

saiko
February 24, 2006 - In perhaps the greatest disservice to the general consumer market yet perpetrated by players in the electronic entertainment industry, it has been revealed that next-generation DVD technologies (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) will only function with monitors and HDTVs with HDMI or DVI connections.

More info:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691408p1.html

I really wonder if hollywood exectuives know what the real world is like.

If you put protection on something like a dvd that restricts what TV or dvd player i can use to veiw it, then the simple fact of the matter is i'll just pass thanks.

The worst thing is the fact that you know within 10 days of launch there will be a way to bypass the copy protection, meaning the only people who actually suffer are the poeple who dont break the law and leave their machines unmodified and actually buy the dvds.

Hollywood needs to realise that its own money grabbing attittue isnt helping sell movie tickets or dvd's and stopping piracy. all its doing is making the pirates more sophisticated and alienating the hardworking consumers who actually make or break films.

What does that mean to you?
Confused
SunburnedCactus
It means it's going to be a long long time before I start using those formats. My TV doesn't even have a SCART socket!
maclui
Good, I do not care what are the requirements for their discs, If they want my money they have to giveme some good "old" DVDs because I am happy with it and if they do not, I wil find something else to entertain myself.
You Hypocrites
I'll copy whatever I damned well please... and give it to whomever I please.

Now.. see the futility of copy protection?
Vrythramax
I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy a dvd that would only enslave me to a higher priced piece of hardware (shades of Bill Gates' way of thinking there I think). I just broke down and bought an (overpriced) HDTV and I don't have any plans on upgrading it in the foreseeable future, so if Hollywood wants my money they can keep on making dvd's the way they are now.

Does anyone know if there is any truth t the rumor that all television signals will be in HDTV format within the next few years? Or was that just some hype I heard about it? Note: I was planning on buying the HDTV anyway....better picture quality.
misomichael
Vrythramax wrote:
Does anyone know if there is any truth t the rumor that all television signals will be in HDTV format within the next few years?

On February 17th, 2009, all TV stations in the US will be required to stop broadcasting analog signals and exclusively broadcast digital. A digital signal isn't the same thing as HDTV, so even people with non-HDTV televisions will still be able to view television broadcasts as long as they are a cable or satellite subscriber. Satellite is already digital anyway, and for those not on digital cable yet, the cable companies are supposed to provide digital boxes at no extra charge. Considering how much cable companies charge for digital service now, though, I imagine there's still a significant financial battle waiting to happen over this.

In addition, close to $1 billion has been earmarked by the government to buy digital converters for people who receive over-the-air broadcasts rather than cable or satellite.
chiragcoolboy
Quote:
It means it's going to be a long long time before I start using those formats. My TV doesn't even have a SCART socket!

Same here.
Shermanatortank
pirates will always be ahead of the game.... so their greedy a$$ tactics wont get me buying new format dvd's or w/e.....it's gonna be dvds or the other way Wink 4 me... argh a pirates life 4 me