FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with linux fedora core 4

superwrestler06
Hi, I just downloaded linux FC_4 i386 DVD. I just bought a 120gig hard drive to install it on. I burnt FC_4 i386 onto a DVD. Then I restarted my machine configured the bios to load up the dvd drive before the hard drive. Then I restarted but It would not boot up the linux DVD it just skips right past and continues booting windows xp. So I tried to find the setup on the dvd while windows was booted. But there is no setup there, so how do I install linux Fedora Core 4?
SamiTheBerber
superwrestler06 wrote:
Hi, I just downloaded linux FC_4 i386 DVD. I just bought a 120gig hard drive to install it on. I burnt FC_4 i386 onto a DVD. Then I restarted my machine configured the bios to load up the dvd drive before the hard drive. Then I restarted but It would not boot up the linux DVD it just skips right past and continues booting windows xp. So I tried to find the setup on the dvd while windows was booted. But there is no setup there, so how do I install linux Fedora Core 4?

Try again to boot from CD. You can change boot order in bios or if your bios has eternal booting menu ( from me it comes by pressing F8 ). Have you check the md5sum for correct downloading?

I have a feeling that this is your first time of useing linux, ubuntu is better for beginners, I think. It is easy to use and good guides, also debian-based.
{name here}
Reading the FreeBSD or Debian installation guide will help you change the boot order. I think Fedora will be good for you. RPMs are the closest thing to an actual setup program Linux has got. Don't choose Debian, though. You'll tear your hair out before you know how to use the Packaging system(which is difficult with the UNIX directory structure. With windows it would be a simple unzip operation to the dir of your choice, but with linux you have to put everything in special directories.)
Helios
Go into your BIOS and add your DVD drive to the media drive list(just search for this kind of function within the BIOS).
Then, place it as #1 in the boot priority section.

Then save and reboot the machine with the DVD inserted.
superwrestler06
I did set it to boot up before everything else. And this is my first time.
SamiTheBerber
superwrestler06 wrote:
I did set it to boot up before everything else. And this is my first time.

Have you check the md5sum, because maybe you have burn incorrect file or burning failed. They can be reason, when you can't boot from disk. Also try other bootable disk, for example WinXP which you have. If it boots then problem is on Fedora-DVD.
superwrestler06
I checked the sums with md5summer.exe and there were no errors. And windows xp boots fine.

I have 3 drives. 1 cd burner drive, 1 dvd drive, and a dvd burner. My computer will boot from the cd burner drive but not from any of the dvd drives. And I have the fedora core 4 dvd version. Would getting a bios update or something fix this?
Helios
use the edit button next time(you double posted).

Try getting a BIOS update.
Maybe it really doesn't recognize your DVD drives.

Or maybe Fedora doesn't support your DVD drive.. I had the same issue with Sun Solaris 10.