FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Small Windows Utility ideas

bgillingham
Does anybody have any ideas of utility programs that would be handy in the Windows environment?

I am currently developing other utilities for publication in my upcoming website (more details on that later).

I can develop nearly anything - with the right motivation. Making it easier for people to get something done on their computer is satisfaction enough..

I am always looking for good ideas. I figure that these forums must be a good place to ask.
virtualsom
here are a few application ideas you can start thinking of

Clip board ( clipboard managers )

keyboard macros

Time based tools ( to-do lists , alarms , time based app launchers .. )

one click system utility for shutdown , sleep ....

desktp stickup notes

hope this helps Wink

- Virtualsom
bgillingham
Great ideas. Do you have a need for any specific task? Anyone?

I have a partially completed desktop sticky notes program, but then I found a great freeware one that did nearly everything I wanted. Did you have any idea that would set this sticky note program apart? I am sure that I could accomplish it - whatever it might be.

I don't know what a keyboard macro program would be good for.

I have my Zoom Tool up and it is sweet! Go to http://www.FreewareUtils.frih.net/ZoomTool.html to check it out...

I have made timer based apps to do a few useful things such as monitor a log file that is constantly changing. I could modify that so that the log filename is configurable and post that there. I am not sure about this one.

One of my upcoming releases will be my new and improved Desktop Pogo Screensaver.
Deji
bgillingham wrote:
I don't know what a keyboard macro program would be good for.

well i have a lot of software on my PC would be nice if i could press "Ctrl-Shift-S" and open Steam, or press a combination of buttons to open photoshop.

maybe key combinations could open a series of programs.

so Ctrl-Shift-C (chat) opens MSN messenger and AIM.

if you could let users customise what programs / functions key presses did it would be great.

maybe a quick shut down key combo so when its 3am and im half asleep i can just press a couple of buttons at once and go to bed knowing thay my PC will turn itself off.

bgillingham wrote:
Time based tools ( to-do lists , alarms , time based app launchers

how about something that lets you set up something on your to do list, so for example if at 6pm i want to make sure i work on my site, so when its 6pm i get a box telling me its time to work on my site
"Time 6pm - Time to work on your site
Do you want to open {program name}
[YES] [NO]"

ill try and think of more tomorrow
bgillingham
Good ideas Deji. I think that I will put that on my list. I could potentially let you know if this Hotkeys program is ready for you to test.... do you want to be the test subject? PM me with any details.

I will probably have a new utility up there in the next two weeks. I have been pretty busy lately painting. I will create a post sometime next week to display the fruit of my labor.
Deji
bgillingham wrote:
Good ideas Deji. I think that I will put that on my list. I could potentially let you know if this Hotkeys program is ready for you to test.... do you want to be the test subject? PM me with any details.

I will probably have a new utility up there in the next two weeks. I have been pretty busy lately painting. I will create a post sometime next week to display the fruit of my labor.

sure Smile
bigzero
Deji wrote:

well i have a lot of software on my PC would be nice if i could press "Ctrl-Shift-S" and open Steam, or press a combination of buttons to open photoshop.

if you could let users customise what programs / functions key presses did it would be great.

maybe a quick shut down key combo so when its 3am and im half asleep i can just press a couple of buttons at once and go to bed knowing thay my PC will turn itself off.

This feature is already present in windows, although not many people are aware of it. If you want to set a key combo, make a shortcut of the executable. Then right-click it and click on the Shortcut Key box. Press any key combo you want and then click ok. There you go, now you can launch Steam with Ctrl + Alt + S.

Possibly a manager to keep track of which key combos have been used would be nice. Other than that, don't waste your time developing an app for this.
Deji
bigzero wrote:
Deji wrote:

This feature is already present in windows, although not many people are aware of it. If you want to set a key combo, make a shortcut of the executable. Then right-click it and click on the Shortcut Key box. Press any key combo you want and then click ok. There you go, now you can launch Steam with Ctrl + Alt + S.

Possibly a manager to keep track of which key combos have been used would be nice. Other than that, don't waste your time developing an app for this.

yeah that would work, dont know if it would be easyer to have a small ap instead of having to make something that interacts with windows.

either way manager or seperate ap i dont want to have to sit and do it for everything seperately.. then have to try to remember if i have already used a key.
bgillingham
I have started to research this a bit already. It seems that I can get the list of hot keys that are currently in use, but I am not sure if I can detect what they are associated with.

I think that I am going to finish the utility... I can see it being a nice utility. I especially like the idea of assigning a group of utilities / shortcuts to be launched with a single key. Sometimes, I open the same 3 programs in the first minute of working on something.

So, perhaps I can display which keys are assigned to do what as well as being able to configure a new hot key to launch a single or group of programs - or special shutdown action. Hmm... I guess that this display of hot keys should allow for filtering out of system assigned or HotKeysTool assigned keys. That sounds pretty good... ETA about a week or less. Now, Windows doesn't do that out of the box.

---

Well, I have been swamped by my other work. Sorry to say that my planned freeware utilities haven't been worked on lately. I know that there has been some anticipation about a mosaic image creator program... I have it almost done, but it needs polished and unit-tested. Beautiful output however - there's just something about a picture made up of a bunch of little pictures. I am wrestling with the idea of building in some kind of RSS image feed reader to use as an option to create the "pixel" images (the tiny little pictures that essentially represent only one pixel of a larger image).