FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[GUIDE]Testing Out Your Site Without Uploading It

simplyw00x
Basically, I get very frustrated having to re-upload PHP scripts every time I want to check a small modification. I investigated several solutions, including the pretty damn good PHP designer, which includes a plethora of handy features, not least the built-in PHP-executor for previewing. If your site is using a flat file (or no?) database, this could really work well.

I, however, wanted a database, but couldn't get the stupid Apache to install, let alone PHP and MySQL. Turns out there's a handy utility called Yellowtip Webserver that installs Apache, PHP and MySQL for you, and is amazingly simple to use. It also includes Zend optimising engine and several PHP scripts - check out the website.

In order to use this, just bung the pages in the www directory (/Yellowtip/htdocs/) and go to http://localhost/nameofyourfile.php and it'll be presented there in glorious processed-o-vision.

Just a few quick tips to save you headaches in designing and testing your scripts. Hope this helps,
Carl.
Texas Al
Good post. Thanks for telling us.

There's actually a couple of local apache distros floating around out there. For instance, I use Wamp5. I'm thinking of migrating to XAMPP because it includes Perl support, and there is at least one IDE environment where plugins exist for it.

Does anybody have any other standalone Apache/PHP/MySQL distros that they tried and would recommend? How should someone go about deciding which one to use?
frozenhead
Hey! Thanks for the tip!.. well.. i do install each one of them, i mean Apache, PHP, MySQL.. but nwei.. i'll try the stuffs some time.. thanks again.. Wink
n0obie4life
using www.easyphp.org is better.

the webbies in french, but the program is in english expect for the updater.
puccavn
but you must config
if can please install linux and use on it !!!
cronic5
Wow thanks for the useful post. But does this also work on Linux? I am not a Windows fan and use Linux and since I am on dial-up I would prefer if someone told me before I downloaded the file. Thanks.
kv
cronic5 wrote:
Wow thanks for the useful post. But does this also work on Linux? I am not a Windows fan and use Linux and since I am on dial-up I would prefer if someone told me before I downloaded the file. Thanks.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a linux version of this software.
davmcmul
apache is unix based, you shouldn't have too many problems installing it on your linux pc.