FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A question about PNG and IE

engeland
i used photoshop to reduce opacity of a picture of mine down to 40%. i saved it as a PNG file and therefore has a transparent background. I uploaded it onto my site, and found that it looks perfect on FIREFOX...but on IE, it's not. The transparent areas on the picture, are pure white! It looks so boxed up when it opacity os full.

I was wondering, maybe i still do not know of something about PNG. Can someone explain to me, why does IE show PNG images like this? and what way can i mend this Confused
AftershockVibe
Internet Explorer, in it's current state of lacking development, does not support transparency for PNG images. Which I'll agree is crap!

So if you want to use any form of transparency in IE you're going to have to use GIFs I'm afraid.
Sad
engeland
really! but i noticed once saving transparent images as GIFs, they tend to pixelate and the quality really reduces.

By the way, here's another random question about photoshop,

i get two extensions of GIFs when saving a file on photoshop.

one is
GIF (RD) (*.GIF)

and the other
CompuServe (*.GIF)

what's the difference between these two? Confused
Bengt
If I have to use GIF, i use the Compuserve Smile
AftershockVibe
I think it's the implementation of how the image is compressed. Compuserve is creditted with their invention so the Compuserve is probably the original.

There might be one that allows for interlacing and the other doesn't. Interlacing allows the whole image to start being displayed before the entire file is downloaded (resolution gradually increases).
engeland
oh ok, thanx for the info. This interlacing does preserve the transparency right?
llsanderll
it's always like that, firefox 's just better Smile
engeland
i always recommend firefox but some people are just too closed minded to try something other than IE.

So um, does the compuserve format preserve tranparency? Confused
simplyw00x
If you google it, there are plenty of solutions to get .png transparency in IE, all using proprietary IE filters to do the alpha doohickery. Have a look.
ck88
I have to agree with the previous post. IE does transparency with PNG. And Firefox is not perfect either. Try coding with CSS and then have a look at the way Ff displays it Sad
boringest
you can fix that for ie by reading this:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/
engeland
wow this is what i need. Thanx for the tip boringest. Very Happy
riv
ck88 wrote:
I have to agree with the previous post. IE does transparency with PNG. And Firefox is not perfect either. Try coding with CSS and then have a look at the way Ff displays it Sad

Actually, png and CSS works fine in FF for me... The banner on my website (signature) uses CSS and is a png file, and the top rounded corners are transparant. I don't know about IE because I don't have a Windows machine here. (Thankfully)
pontopt
Yeah, Explorer sucks, Firefox is ok, but best is Opera. Use gif, a lot of people use Explorer
LukeakaDanish
There is a way to make IE display your .png files like FF does:

http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/

I use it all the time...it works nicely...if you have any problems dont hesitate in contacting me

Luke
bladesage
engeland wrote:
i always recommend firefox but some people are just too closed minded to try something other than IE.

So um, does the compuserve format preserve tranparency? Confused

Well, a true webmaster knows just how important it is to have their pages available for as large of an audience as possible. After the huge browser wars, we must be more careful than ever. This includes using gif images whenever animation or transparency is needed.

Macromedia Fireworks should become your best friend when making web images of any kind, as its ease-of-use interface makes it all so much easier. It makes it simple to animate images of many formats, and transparency is no impossible manner in it either. Just look at my avatar for example. I used (the trial version of) Fireworks 8, and after I figured it out, images are simpler than ever!

If you just need to change the format of non-animated images, then MS Paint (particularly the Windows XP version) proves itself quite capable. In Web Page Design Class, our book had all kinds of useful info regarding web images. If your looking for web animation, either .png or .gif can support it. If you need transparency, it is possible in .png, but it's much easier with .gif files.

Hence the name Graphics Interchange Format. It doesn't support very many colors, but it's more flexible in other ways. If you need to control compression levels, .jpg is the way to go. If, for whatever reason, you just need as many colors as possible, use bitmap files (.bmp).

As I said about the infamous browser wars, there are generally two different major types: Internet Explorer, and Netscape. While the World Wide Web Consortium demands that they both support required elements of web pages, they are still very different. We must try as hard as we can to produce web pages that are supported by both, as many users use either kind.

I'm not saying that IE and Netscape are the only kinds, because they obviously aren't. It's just that many browsers are actually based on IE (such as mine, SBC Yahoo! Browser), and thus depend on it for compatibility.
LukeakaDanish
You seem to be saying that netscape i the second most popular browser...it isnt...the text-book you got it from is probably outdated...

.gifs are illegal (unless you own the codec) so you shouldnt use them...the transparency support in the .gif format is also very limited...png will solve all your problems...

gifs are pretty much only for stupid little animations...which you should stay away from anyway...they are a cliche, and will in most cases make your page look amaturish and load slowly

Luke
Marston
LukeakaDanish wrote:
.gifs are illegal (unless you own the codec) so you shouldnt use them...the transparency support in the .gif format is also very limited...png will solve all your problems...

gifs are pretty much only for stupid little animations...which you should stay away from anyway...they are a cliche, and will in most cases make your page look amaturish and load slowly
You crack me up.
Kaneda
LukeakaDanish wrote:
You seem to be saying that netscape i the second most popular browser...it isnt...the text-book you got it from is probably outdated...

The most popular non-IE browser, Firefox, is based on Mozilla code, which in turn is based on Netscape's technologies, and Netscape / AOL were until recently still involved in what was then the Mozilla Organization. So yes, what evolved from Netscape Communicator is still the second most popular browser.

Quote:
.gifs are illegal (unless you own the codec) so you shouldnt use them...

The LZW compression algorithm patent expired in the US in 2003 and in the rest of the world in 2004. So, no, it's no longer illegal to make or use GIFs without a license.

However, like AVI, GIF is still a format that has lived way too long, mainly due to IE's lack of proper support for PNG (which will change with IE7). On that account, you're right.

PNG is a complete replacement for GIF, it's a web standard for 10 years now, and PNG-8 compresses to sizes equivalent to (or smaller than) a GIF of the same image with a proper compressor. There's absolutely no reason not to use it and dump GIF - except for IE's lack of builtin alpha handling.
engeland
what's an alpha handling?