FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What do you think about Mac OS X?






What do you think about Mac OS X?
Wonderful (5/5)
57%
 57%  [ 35 ]
Nice (4/5)
24%
 24%  [ 15 ]
Quite good (3/5)
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Quite bad
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Bad
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Horrible
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 61

testoo
What do you think about Mac OS X?
Hah first to post in here!
I use it so i find it wonderful.
I love the graphics, the design... It's really safe because it is UNIX based
and the apps are really nice and easy to use!
But what about you?
and WHY?
dips0502
never used mac - so wudnt know, heard mac comes with its own hardware. why does it do dat ? if mac were only a software - people wud find migration from windows to mac easy and cheap..i hope i made sense
riv
Apple make their own hardware because (1) It looks much better and (2) They can make it intergrate better with their operating system.

And I think macs are awesome compared to Windows and Linux. (Although Linux is better than Windows)
{name here}
I like the looks, but there are better hardware and OS choices out there:
http://mac-sucks.com/
I suggest getting Linux/BSD if you want a UI very similar to that(in fact it'll act in very much the same way - both have UNIX origins and standards), but hundreds of times more customizeable(but sucks because everything has to be built, including GCC, I dispse that). Another better OS would be eComStation, the successor to OS/2. Its custimzation level is fairly good; there is a Mac OS X Aqua theme. Win32(with ODIN)/16, X(with VM), Java, OS/2, and REXX support are also an advantage.
Zuwiki
Shocked

Mac is disgusting to say the least. Their operating system is horrible. They took a perfectly good operating system (Unix) and made it in to the faultiest piece of software I have ever used. Then they say it does all this new stuff that even Windows could do in their most obsolete 9x version, and is standard in even minimal Linux distros. It's as if they are comparing their "new" features to their Apple II! They probably have never even used Windows or LInux! And this stupid dock on the bottom? Why? WHY???

Ok, sorry. Mac and Windows both generally piss me off.

Well, in conclusion, what I think of Mac OS X (or for that matter, Mac anything) is that it should never have existed.
photon
i gave it a 4. the only reason it didnt get a perfect 5 is that its too costly and the popular win apps dont run on it.

ive use both an imac and emac in my college lab, and trust me, its damn good. the h/w and s/w are rock solid and i havent seen a single crash.

but ofcourse, stealing hell a lot of code from unix and making it a propreitory s/w is just dumb on apple's part. ppl dissing abt windows can have more fun venting their anger on apple for this move. but on a whole, mac is definitely a very good platform/
Xeniczone
I gave it a 4/5.

Because I like it it is mac and mac has never failed me it has never crashed or been a surrender pansey like windows.

The reason i droped 1 point is because unlike "classic" witch on a slow processer can boot up in a min. X takes it's time booting up.
And I don't like the new window box around I liked classic looks better. More mac-ish
superwrestler06
I gave it 5/5 I have had it for 3 years and have never had viruses, trojans, spyware, or anything else that causes problems. It has never crashed and it always works. I cannot say that about windows.
dmhq
well i like macs because they are easy to use, they never get viruses because (at least i think) on macs they only let programs acces themselves, so a virus couldnt interfere with anyting other than itself, unlike windows, which is very compatible so it lets different files acces eachother (problematic). anyway the two most irksome things abbout macs is 1: all the games you buy or software you download is mostly for windows(so you cant play stuff like WoW or GW) and 2: the idiots that think just because macs dont get viruses they go yelling "viva la mac!!!" (lol)
d722002
I personally hate macs.

No personalization possible, no real hardware upgrades without voiding a warranty, limited number of products for mac.

Kinda like using a computer for dummies...
Xeniczone
Quote:
I personally hate macs.

No personalization possible, no real hardware upgrades without voiding a warranty, limited number of products for mac.

Kinda like using a computer for dummies...


Apple does this to stop crashing.

People say that macs crash so what is the point in buying them instead of windows.

Yes macs crash but not as often as windows. Common reasons for mac to crash would be software errors and this rarly happens.

Main reason for windows to crash is first and third party software and hardware.

apple supports apple. Microsoft has to support everything sony toshiba e-machines dell(evil little...) NEC Intel AMD PNY foxconn etc... which is all third party hardware because there is almost no first party hardware for windows. Kinda makes it hard to find any errors in windows.

Like ex. when I used to use windows (im replacing with macs.) I keep getting this error with my xbox 360 controllor it would make the system give the bsod when I try to plug in the headset. What is the problem the controllor or the head set. can't tell the bsod is a bunch of numbers that I can't even read because it is there for a sec then gone because the system restarts.
mano1979
Mac is much more stable than windows or linux. ( i used both) And now i'm trying to switch to OSX86 (mac OS for intel)
Xeniczone
??? mac is already on intel ???
cheeta
Every thing is good about MAC OS X

except 2 point

  • A hardware oriented os, u need to have a apple system... Sad
  • softwares r hard fo find


apple needs to counter this to point... at leat the 1st one... mac os x needs to get install in x86 based PC ...
cheeta
mano1979 wrote:
And now i'm trying to switch to OSX86 (mac OS for intel)


This is not official at all... u can run it with pear pc... but still MAC is hardware based u need a alle system to run a full power OS X...
photographerguy
I am so happy I bought a mac recently. It is my first. The 'switch' was painless, coming from windows. I wish I would have done it sooner.
Xeniczone
Quote:
... mac os x needs to get install in x86 based PC ...


Why would apple do this they will lose there hard ware industry. And the only reason windows crashes so much is because it is all 3rd party. apple makes every thing to work to gether in there machines if they went third party they would have to make a hell of a lot of drivers and a hell of a lot of a support because of the constant crashing.

It would be nice if they made a unsupported version though like Unreal tornment they make the game for linux but they dont' support the linux version.

Quote:
I am so happy I bought a mac recently. It is my first. The 'switch' was painless, coming from windows. I wish I would have done it sooner.


The same thing happened to me. But my switch was a little more painful because I got my mac used so it didn't have any cds software or a good keyboard or mouse.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
I personally hate macs.

No personalization possible, no real hardware upgrades without voiding a warranty, limited number of products for mac.

Kinda like using a computer for dummies...


Apple does this to stop crashing.

People say that macs crash so what is the point in buying them instead of windows.

Yes macs crash but not as often as windows. Common reasons for mac to crash would be software errors and this rarly happens.

Main reason for windows to crash is first and third party software and hardware.

apple supports apple. Microsoft has to support everything sony toshiba e-machines dell(evil little...) NEC Intel AMD PNY foxconn etc... which is all third party hardware because there is almost no first party hardware for windows. Kinda makes it hard to find any errors in windows.

Like ex. when I used to use windows (im replacing with macs.) I keep getting this error with my xbox 360 controllor it would make the system give the bsod when I try to plug in the headset. What is the problem the controllor or the head set. can't tell the bsod is a bunch of numbers that I can't even read because it is there for a sec then gone because the system restarts.

Stop crashing? Upgrading your hardware can help you achive a faster computer with better stability. Windows crashes because of your error, the new NT kernel windows OSes provide great stability. Microsoft has the advantage of being compatible with hundreds of computers, not just one, allowing them to have more audience than just a MS computer. Last time I checked, apple uses IBM PowerPC processors - weak processors compared to the powerful Dual core AMD and 3 Ghz Intel Pentium. You clearly don't know a computers inner workings like a C/ASM programmer. I suggest you actually know about computers before talking about them in such a way. Why would you even plug an Xbox 360 controller on your computer? Do you even have the proper drivers?

Quote:
Mac is much more stable than windows or linux. ( i used both) And now i'm trying to switch to OSX86 (mac OS for intel)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
1. Mac OS X is based on the unix Mach Microkernel, used by several UNIX distros. Mach is known to take deep performance hits(in fact it is 50% slower than the FreeBSD and Linux kernels). Mac is now part of the Linux family.
2. You're never going to be able to install OS X for i386! Your computer doesn't have support for Mac hardware!!! What do you think it is? Linux? Where it has drivers for nearly every PC and can boot on everything from PCs and Macs to several Game Consoles?
Sharkbite86
wtf... seems like there is a bit of confusion about mac os on an intel processor. Apple did indeed switch to intel chips in their computer line. However, Apple is not selling Mac OS X to run on any ol' PC box, still just their machines. Wink

Just go to the apple/intel site at http://www.apple.com/intel
Xeniczone
thank you sharkbite86 because i was about to yell at him.

Quote:
Stop crashing? Upgrading your hardware can help you achive a faster computer with better stability. Windows crashes because of your error, the new NT kernel windows OSes provide great stability. Microsoft has the advantage of being compatible with hundreds of computers, not just one, allowing them to have more audience than just a MS computer. Last time I checked, apple uses IBM PowerPC processors - weak processors compared to the powerful Dual core AMD and 3 Ghz Intel Pentium. You clearly don't know a computers inner workings like a C/ASM programmer. I suggest you actually know about computers before talking about them in such a way. Why would you even plug an Xbox 360 controller on your computer? Do you even have the proper drivers?


You must understand there is more to a processor then just just. Seems like you don't under stand how a computer work I suggest you learn more about them before trying to help others.

why would I put a xbox 360 controllor on my computer To play computer games with it stupid god wth else would I do with it use it as my keyboard and mouse... what a dumb ass

Proper drivers to connect a xbox360 controllor lets see. Umm... for the fact microsoft makes the controllor and the drivers for it and the drivers for windows I would say I do have the proper drivers.


Windows is not stable at all. You say that limited upgrades to mac by using only apple hardware is bad. Well wake up .... face. If i put everything inside a windows computer I could that was the top of the line I would have like 16 different companys 1 motherboard 1harddriver 1cd 1floppy(really obsolete now) 1 cpu 1memory etc...

Just about all of these will require drivers to be roconize. Lets see 16 devices 16 3rd party drivers. YOU REALLY THINK WINDOWS WILL NEVER CRASH BECAUSE IT HAS 16 DIFFERENT 3RD PARTY DRIVERS WOW YOU NEED TO BE HIT !HARD!

Apple on the other hand has about 3 - 4 different companys. Intel or ibm for the cpu. cd rom. hard drive. if you have intel you have a intel motherboard too. just about everything else has apples manufacture on it. But you wouldn't know that because your too busy using your windows computer. bill gates has blinded you with his gay os.

"free your mind and your os will fallow"
win66
I think MAC OS is The best opering system . Cool A Wonderful opering system
{name here}
Quote:
You must understand there is more to a processor then just just. Seems like you don't under stand how a computer work I suggest you learn more about them before trying to help others.



Quote:
why would I put a xbox 360 controllor on my computer To play computer games with it stupid god wth else would I do with it use it as my keyboard and mouse... what a dumb ***
Proper drivers to connect a xbox360 controllor lets see. Umm... for the fact microsoft makes the controllor and the drivers for it and the drivers for windows I would say I do have the proper drivers.

Why don't you use a computer for something that is actually productive and resonable? Microsoft ports many popular computer games onto the Xbox, and the consoles have a better, wider library than any computer. Lets see, are you actually installing the drivers? XP was made before the 360, so do you think they'll actually be on there?

Quote:
Windows is not stable at all. You say that limited upgrades to mac by using only apple hardware is bad. Well wake up .... face. If i put everything inside a windows computer I could that was the top of the line I would have like 16 different companys 1 motherboard 1harddriver 1cd 1floppy(really obsolete now) 1 cpu 1memory etc...

So? At least my computer won't be obsolete in two years.

Quote:
Just about all of these will require drivers to be roconize. Lets see 16 devices 16 3rd party drivers. YOU REALLY THINK WINDOWS WILL NEVER CRASH BECAUSE IT HAS 16 DIFFERENT 3RD PARTY DRIVERS WOW YOU NEED TO BE HIT !HARD!

Think, the manufacturers make those drivers. They know their hardware. The windows team, like the apple team and the linux community don't make the drivers. They write the software to go with their drivers.

Quote:
pple on the other hand has about 3 - 4 different companys. Intel or ibm for the cpu. cd rom. hard drive. if you have intel you have a intel motherboard too. just about everything else has apples manufacture on it. But you wouldn't know that because your too busy using your windows computer. bill gates has blinded you with his gay os.

Everything in that computer was made by another company. Apple just assembles it into a case like every other software company.I don't just use Windows, Oh no. that only makes a small part of my computer. I have OS/2 Warp, FreeBSD, BeOS, Plan 9, and Red Hat.

Quote:
"free your mind and your os will fallow"

lol, I know some people from Microsuck. One problem Microsoft has is its little focus on security. They offer the tools on NT based OSes to secure your computer from nearly every virus attack. Most windows users are total morons and just get an antivirus when a LU account can get them more protection without needing to scan since while running under an LU account, you are restricted to modifying and deleting files on your Home folder only.

I have also looked at the specs of various PCs with the Mac Price range:
Code:

IBM PCs and Lenovo Thinkpads have been displayed with standard hardware, though highly expandable.
Monitor shows if a monitor is included
+-----------------------------------+
| Lenovo ThinkPad vs. Mac Mini  |
+----------------+Processor Speed+----RAM----+Monitor+----Price----+
|     Lenovo      |   2.0Ghz            |   4 GB        | Yes      |    $799      |
+----------------+-------------------+-------------+---------+-------------+
|  Mac Mini Duo |  1.5Ghz             |   512 MB    |  No      |     $799     |
+----------------+-------------------+-------------+---------+-------------+
The Thinkpad also has more disk space than a Mac Mini.

+---------------------------------------------+
| IBM intellistatiom M Pro  vs. Intel iMac  |
+----------------+Processor Speed+----RAM----+Monitor+----Price----+
|     IBM           |   3.0Ghz            |   1    GB    | Yes      |  $1199       |
+----------------+-------------------+-------------+---------+-------------+
|      iMac         |   2.0Ghz            |   512 MB    | Yes      |   $1699     |
+----------------+-------------------+-------------+---------+-------------+
Though the intellistation M pro standardly ships with and 80GB hard drive, for around $200, you can replace that before ordering to a 150 - 200 GB hard drive.

Well, you get the idea...


Other intresting tidbits:
*Real stories of dissatispied Mac customers
*10 reasons Macs suck, all verified true with some tests by my Mac loving freinds
*Adobe Products on PCs pwned the Mac ones
*Benchmarks demolsish apple speed boasts
*I see mac is very user freindly
*I'll bet you're macs can do this
*If OS X is sooooo stable, why does their india website and several others use Linux?
*Mhz matters
Xeniczone
Quote:
Why don't you use a computer for something that is actually productive and resonable? Microsoft ports many popular computer games onto the Xbox, and the consoles have a better, wider library than any computer. Lets see, are you actually installing the drivers? XP was made before the 360, so do you think they'll actually be on there?


windows already released the drivers do a quick search on microsoft.com.



Kinda hard to compare a laptop to a desktop. Because almost alway the desktop will be better but then again the mini is so small it has mostly laptop sized parts in it if not smaller.

Once again there is more behind the processor then the speed. and the duos are dual core. "m" are single core but w/e i get the point. Companys that are making windows based computers need to start watching themselfs. I dont' mean this in a bad way, but vista is reallly killing the cpu. Companys like dell are going to have to build there computers as efficent as possible to over come this. more effecient less speed needed to make the process.

i dont beleave anything from mac-sucks.com I'm sorry but everything they say is exaclly oppost to what is happening to me and my mac. I haven't had issues or crashing yet. I'm sure one day it will but I have never had it crash or reboot like windows has on me. And what is this about texted based ever seens they moved to unix core. Mac os 9 has a text based part to it too.
Rocky3478
Perfect. I have no complaints at all. Cool

And.....

Quote:
Why don't you use a computer for something that is actually productive and resonable?


And may I inquire as to how games are all that productive? They just inspire you to spend more time on the computer away from others and become lazy and idle. A computer should be productive, not crashing all the time. Wink You know, benchmarks aren't the end of the world. Macs are plenty fast for what pretty much any person needs in a computer. Sure, they aren't the fastest, but would you rather have the world's fastest computer that crashes at least once a week or a computer that never dies on you and needs zero maintenance on your part?
{name here}
Rocky3478 wrote:
Perfect. I have no complaints at all. Cool

And.....

Quote:
Why don't you use a computer for something that is actually productive and resonable?


And may I inquire as to how games are all that productive? They just inspire you to spend more time on the computer away from others and become lazy and idle. A computer should be productive, not crashing all the time. Wink You know, benchmarks aren't the end of the world. Macs are plenty fast for what pretty much any person needs in a computer. Sure, they aren't the fastest, but would you rather have the world's fastest computer that crashes at least once a week or a computer that never dies on you and needs zero maintenance on your part?

You can get a PS2 or Xbox and get a much better and higher quality game expiriance than any of your computer games can ever get you. There are many many more games in the consoles than any petty Mac or PC Workstation. And you know what? You don't need a Mac with sub-optimal speed, graphics, and OS when you can get a PC thats faster, cheaper, upgradeable, customizeable, and can have any very stable OS in the world except Mac OS X, which you can get a theme for for every good X desktop system. I mean with an old Mac you could never get another OS because Mac OS is tightly integrated with the ROM, and even now that is partly true.

Now on a PC you can have:

    BeOS
    AROS
    One of the many Linux Distros
    eComStation
    OS/2
    Zeta
    Windows
    FreeBSD
    OpenBSD
    NetBSD
    DR-DOS(featuring multitasking)
    MS-DOS
    Plan 9
    OSfree
    ReactOS
    AmigaOS
    QNX
    RISC OS
    LynxOS
    AIX
    FreeDOS 32(bit)
    GenStep
    Solaris
    Sun Desktop OS

And many many more, but you can probably get any one of their UIs on a X system...
Rocky3478
{name here} wrote:
Rocky3478 wrote:
Perfect. I have no complaints at all. Cool

And.....

Quote:
Why don't you use a computer for something that is actually productive and resonable?


And may I inquire as to how games are all that productive? They just inspire you to spend more time on the computer away from others and become lazy and idle. A computer should be productive, not crashing all the time. Wink You know, benchmarks aren't the end of the world. Macs are plenty fast for what pretty much any person needs in a computer. Sure, they aren't the fastest, but would you rather have the world's fastest computer that crashes at least once a week or a computer that never dies on you and needs zero maintenance on your part?

You can get a PS2 or Xbox and get a much better and higher quality game expiriance than any of your computer games can ever get you. There are many many more games in the consoles than any petty Mac or PC Workstation. And you know what? You don't need a Mac with sub-optimal speed, graphics, and OS when you can get a PC thats faster, cheaper, upgradeable, customizeable, and can have any very stable OS in the world except Mac OS X, which you can get a theme for for every good X desktop system. I mean with an old Mac you could never get another OS because Mac OS is tightly integrated with the ROM, and even now that is partly true.

Now on a PC you can have:

    BeOS
    AROS
    One of the many Linux Distros
    eComStation
    OS/2
    Zeta
    Windows
    FreeBSD
    OpenBSD
    NetBSD
    DR-DOS(featuring multitasking)
    MS-DOS
    Plan 9
    OSfree
    ReactOS
    AmigaOS
    QNX
    RISC OS
    LynxOS
    AIX
    FreeDOS 32(bit)
    GenStep
    Solaris
    Sun Desktop OS

And many many more, but you can probably get any one of their UIs on a X system...


You know, the one funny thing that strikes me about that list is that other then Linux distros, all of those OS's are very specialized. Face it, there just aren't that many users of those OS's out there. As for Linux, the new MacIntels can run at least one Linux distro as we speak at native speeds.... Cool
deedee
This is for all those guys who think windows is much better than mac...

When you buy a apple mac it is complete. There is a display (++), mouse etc.
When you buy a "cheap" windows, you have to buy a display also etc.

Mac crashes less.

The reason there isn't much (windows) software on mac, is because the programmers don't take the time. But the good software is here too!

Mac is safer because there (hardly) aren't any virusses for it... You won't hear me complaining Wink

But, everyone has an own opinion and I will respect yours Smile
{name here}
Quote:
You know, the one funny thing that strikes me about that list is that other then Linux distros, all of those OS's are very specialized. Face it, there just aren't that many users of those OS's out there. As for Linux, the new MacIntels can run at least one Linux distro as we speak at native speeds....

BeOS/Zeta, BSD, and OS/2 are basically good for Desktop use. The OS/2 and BeOS communities are in basis 90% used for Home Desktop use, just becuase they tried it and liked it. I have no specific favorite OS. I am no Zealot of any of them, each has its advatages and disadvatages that I take to advantage. Something I haven't seen from many Mac users that users of PCs have been doing. A mac has little choice. A PC can be modified to your liking - even capable of being shaped into a Mac itself. A PC can be outrigged to have the power of the Next Generation. A Mac cannot. A mac means nothing to the computer enthusiast - inferior to the PC in power, memory, drive space, customization, upgradability, performance, applications, etc. . Nearly every way. The only angle that Mac can pwn the PC in is the All in One case design of the iMac.
Xeniczone
yeh I agree with the deedee post about.

When people complain about how much macs cost well I tell them to get over it why. Because they are usally looking at the imacs but with a imac your getting the whole deal your not just getting a box your getting a nice widescreen 17in monitor, a work of art in my opition, you getting the pro keyboard and mighty mouse, your getting a fast intel core duo.

If you want something cheaper that cost the same as a pc get a mac mini you will get the same stuff you get with a pc a box nothing else just the box. but with the mac mini you get a small box that is a peice of art unlike the dells black and dark gray Confused come on. or sony is ok similar but still just a gray box. compaq are crapy computers just to warn anyone. the best looking thing you get is if you build your own.

but for the people out there saying macintosh suck and haven't even tried it screw you. I have tried linux mac and windows. I like mac the best then linux then windows.
charredii
everything's about to change with apple moving to Intel chips. I heard rumours of licensing out software like windows did, but i wouldn't suggest it. What makes macs so good is the incredible compatability and seemless cooperation between software and hardware. With intel compatable OS X, this whole philosophy is destroyed. despite new innovations in the macbook and the new imac, and faster duo cores (seriously, unless you're doing heavy computing, like cluster or major editing apps that truly require serious power, you won't notice much difference), mac will be playing catch-up to microsoft in spreading their product. mac was great when it was specialized, now i'm not so sure.

But, i'd still get a mac laptop over a windows laptop.
Kd527
Zuwiki wrote:
Shocked

Mac is disgusting to say the least. Their operating system is horrible. They took a perfectly good operating system (Unix) and made it in to the faultiest piece of software I have ever used. Then they say it does all this new stuff that even Windows could do in their most obsolete 9x version, and is standard in even minimal Linux distros. It's as if they are comparing their "new" features to their Apple II! They probably have never even used Windows or LInux! And this stupid dock on the bottom? Why? WHY???

Ok, sorry. Mac and Windows both generally piss me off.

Well, in conclusion, what I think of Mac OS X (or for that matter, Mac anything) is that it should never have existed.


I have absolutely no idea where you got those ideas! I rated it 5/5. I find it simply super-wonderful. It's much easier to use than any other OS I've tried (windoze, Linux) And it's much better than Mac Classic too. It's extremely stable and secure. (Even more secure than Linux generally speaking because of the settings that Apple chose.)

Mac actually was the first to implement most "new" feature, then M$ followed suit. And then Mac integrates so nicely with the Mac hardware.

Zuwiki, have you ever used a Mac before? You sound like you haven't.
~ MC ~
Mac OS X is a LOT better than windows.

Yeah, that's my opinion. In video editing anyway.

Just hate it when i use my windows computer to capture film, then halfway hang. Mac rarely crashes..haha. and iMovie is a lot easier to use than windows movie maker.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
yeh I agree with the deedee post about.

When people complain about how much macs cost well I tell them to get over it why. Because they are usally looking at the imacs but with a imac your getting the whole deal your not just getting a box your getting a nice widescreen 17in monitor, a work of art in my opition, you getting the pro keyboard and mighty mouse, your getting a fast intel core duo.

If you want something cheaper that cost the same as a pc get a mac mini you will get the same stuff you get with a pc a box nothing else just the box. but with the mac mini you get a small box that is a peice of art unlike the dells black and dark gray Confused come on. or sony is ok similar but still just a gray box. compaq are crapy computers just to warn anyone. the best looking thing you get is if you build your own.

but for the people out there saying macintosh suck and haven't even tried it screw you. I have tried linux mac and windows. I like mac the best then linux then windows.

I have, in fact tried the Mac, but ended up pawning it and getting an IBM Workstation. I like sleek, black designs(but not those crappy dell designs, more like the new sony VAIO) rather than white designs from apple. Another person in this thread said something about macs being more secure than linux. I'd believe that, but I doubt OS X has gotten a reputation for being a hyper secure OS with hackers like OpenBSD(not freeBSD). I doubt Macs have as little viruses like eComStation, yet retaining compatibility with several APIs. I doubt a Mac can have a Fast loading OS like BeOS(yes, it was ported, but the new Zeta fixing many bugs from R5 isn't) and run 4 MPEG movies on screen at once. I doubt a Mac can have the large gaming library of windows with up to date graphics(I've heard current Macs have games that windows had 2 years ago). I doubt Macs can be upgraded so you don't have to buy another computer and save a ton of money(and installing anything a'int brain surgery or rocket science unless you "don't get technology" like some stereotypical old geezer. Usually you can just exchange or add the parts with little trouble). Show me a mac that can do all those things, yet stay under $1000, and is brand new, or maybe, you can't, can you?
MDDesign
Mac is the Best of all the os's!!!
{name here}
MDDesign wrote:
Mac is the Best of all the os's!!!

...to you.
Sharkbite86
I think the Mac and Mac OS X is the best thing since sliced bread! Mr. Green Macs are great and i will always use em...even if i get a PC i will always have a Mac Very Happy
Rocky3478
{name here} wrote:
I doubt a Mac can run ........ 4 MPEG movies on screen at once.


OS X can do this easily. There is a reason why graphics pros use Macs, you know. Wink

You know, sometimes money isn't the issue. It's the best and easiest computing experience that is the issue, and for that, I'll take OS X any day of the century, but I'll let you be your own judge for yourself. No-one is trying to pick a fight here...

M\y last word on this whole arguement is, that Mac, Linux, and Windows users will never agree completely. I'll leave it at that.
DarkAkira
DELETED
eday2010
Mac WAS safer from viruses, but that will change this year. Last year, more flaws were found in Mac OS X than in Windows, though a smaller percentage were "critical" in Mac. Now that Macs run on x86 architecture, more hackers will be creating viruses for it. x86 is a platform better understood by hackers than the PowerPC platform. Plus more people will apparently be using Macs now, so that is reason for hackers to target that OS. If Apple had 90% of the market share, There would almost no viruses for Windows. So just run an antivirus program no matter what OS you are using, and you'll be that much safer.
{name here}
I don't know about you, but I'm getting an acually secure OS - eComStation
(430053
5/5 baby!!!! its the best yet! 10.3 was good but i love widgets! and cant wait for 10.5!
Rocky3478
{name here} wrote:
I don't know about you, but I'm getting an acually secure OS - eComStation


Have fun with that! Good luck finding standardized apps like Word, Photoshop, Acrobat Reader, and Firefox for that. Wink
Kd527
Just to answer a few objections to Mac. I don't have a problem at all with multitasking (I currently own 4 Macs now). Customization is possible. It's true there aren't as many "themes" as windows has, but all those are is basically changing the color. And just like windoze, there are programs you can get for a Mac that can change the appearance completely.

about that mac-sucks site: it's quite outdated. The Indian Apple site does in fact use OS X. There were other things that were on that site from like 6 years ago. Of course PCs have those features now.
DarkAkira
DELETED
{name here}
Rocky3478 wrote:
{name here} wrote:
I don't know about you, but I'm getting an acually secure OS - eComStation


Have fun with that! Good luck finding standardized apps like Word, Photoshop, Acrobat Reader, and Firefox for that. Wink

It's based on OS/2 Warp. It has IBM Works to couter MS Works, it has a port of firefox, and Acrobat, flash, etc. I don't give a sheite for photoshop, and even if I did I could probably run it with ODIN. But I still have Windows with a copy of the GIMP and all those applications. I use it for browsing the web since no spyware, adware, nor virus can touch it since it's not compatible. There are no viruses for OS/2. The chances that a virus wil be able to work with the internal support for DOS and Windows 3.1 apps is slim to none.
Kd527
multitaskting: Safari, Keynote, Shake, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, iChat, while playing music in iTunes plus 11 widgets open in Dashboard and some smaller programs like MenuStrip and Ejector. Not bad, especially on an iBook! Razz Smile

I'll admit, though that that started to make things a little slow, but nothing locked up or crashed or anything like that and it wasn't too bad. Any other system would also have started to get slow (except that half those apps only run on a Mac!).
{name here}
BeOS wouldn't. Let's see you try running 2 mpgs, and a couple openGL demos at the same time on a Mac with without slowing majorly down or freezing.
opsdaddy
I've had both Windows and Mac machines over the years, and I can admit, there were times I loved them both, depending on what software I was running, or what tasks I wanted to accomplish.

But now that Apple has announced BootCamp, the debate may be largely over, for in one machine, you get 2 great OSes... I think it's a breakthrough, and it's only in beta and getting RAVE reviews.

Just wait till Apple finalizes, and watch Apple stock soar!!!

What do you guys think?
Rocky3478
opsdaddy wrote:
I've had both Windows and Mac machines over the years, and I can admit, there were times I loved them both, depending on what software I was running, or what tasks I wanted to accomplish.

But now that Apple has announced BootCamp, the debate may be largely over, for in one machine, you get 2 great OSes... I think it's a breakthrough, and it's only in beta and getting RAVE reviews.

Just wait till Apple finalizes, and watch Apple stock soar!!!

What do you guys think?


Boot Camp and programs like it are going to completely change the way that the average user does their computing. I know that my next computer will be dual-booting Windows and OS X, and maybe even Linux. Cool
Xeniczone
GEEZ, {name here} why do you hate mac so much.

They use art to design there cases.
They have dumped the IBM chip to add more power.
They use the most up to date technology.
They are some of the most stable oses out there.

No matter what windows will always be out of date using the bios tech. Bios is really out of date and mac has already over come this.

Most computer companys get a cheap design for there cheap computers and a nice design for there good computer (dell) thier crudy computer has the worst design ever. Thier XPS are ok but huge.

Mac does a nice design for all there systems even there ipods look ok... except the shuffle most likly the stupidest thing on the market.

Mac is some of the most stable out thier and if they do get lisensed and all that stuff they willl end up like windows a lot of 3rd party co.s and some unstable crap, but as long as apple still makes thier tech then thier is always a first party company to turn to. Unlike windows no matter where you go it is 3rd party so no matter what your risking a crash(always better to build your windows computers)
ryanh2006
I don't want to sound like an Apple accolyate or somehting but APPLE ROCKS!!! My 1st PC was the original bondi iMac and my present system is the original eMac (circa 2002 I believe) and OS X Tiger 10.4.6 And its still aamazing! The eae of use, the beautiful GUI, the security...I could go on day in and day out but I guess that I will leave that to another day and another thread Very Happy 10.4.6 dissamates XP IMHO but Vista sure as hell looks yummy (eventhough they have ripped off tons from OS X!!!)
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:

They use art to design there cases.

I don't care if Michealangelo designed their cases. I like cases that are black. I like computers that look like this:

Quote:
They have dumped the IBM chip to add more power.

The only product I don't like that IBM has made is PowerPC. Apple made a good call to switch from that architecture, but with AMD's powerful microprocessors, Intel is being left in the dust.
Quote:
They use the most up to date technology.

...and that technology ends up out of date in a few years, and you can't upgrade the parts. You can build your own computer, and use the most up to date technology, and then you can upgrade it, and it ends up looking how you want it to and saves you a whole lot more money than a mac in the end.
Quote:
They are some of the most stable oses out there.

They took FreeBSD's source and mashed it up with a dated microkernel that has the reputation of being 50% slower than other UNIX kernels. They took a performance hit, and they sacrificed the stability of a decent kernel they could have purchased the rights to use from berkely.

Quote:
No matter what windows will always be out of date using the bios tech. Bios is really out of date and mac has already over come this.

With 90% of the market using windows, I don't think anyone gives a damn, but I do, and I can just use Linux or FreeBSD which are stable, free, and can do just about everything a mac can do for cheaper.

Quote:
Most computer companys get a cheap design for there cheap computers and a nice design for there good computer (dell) thier crudy computer has the worst design ever. Thier XPS are ok but huge.

Dell sucks. Their case designs are so overly decorated that it looks horrible and almost burns my corneas out. If they have a simple looking design with a rectangular black case and a detached LCD or TFT monitor it's fine by me.

Quote:
Mac does a nice design for all there systems even there ipods look ok... except the shuffle most likly the stupidest thing on the market.

I never liked any of their designs. There are too many rounded corners.
Quote:
Mac is some of the most stable out thier and if they do get lisensed and all that stuff they willl end up like windows a lot of 3rd party co.s and some unstable crap, but as long as apple still makes thier tech then thier is always a first party company to turn to. Unlike windows no matter where you go it is 3rd party so no matter what your risking a crash(always better to build your windows computers)

That's why there are alternatives to Windows you may purchase or download that have quality drivers and a decent kernel that can perform on a higher class machine than a mac.
cws-online
I absolutly love Apple Computers with the Macintosh Operating System. I have always wanted an Apple. The operating system is so stable, and they are barely infecting with viruses and other things. If only Apple Macintosh were in everything and there were no Stinky Microsoft pieces of junk!
Xeniczone
Quote:



Dell sucks. Their case designs are so overly decorated that it looks horrible and almost burns my corneas out.


Well Dell is to overly decorative then I don't know wth That IBM case is.



You don't get much simpilar then that! Very Happy

Then of corse my favorite Apple Case.

The G3 Apple Macintosh.



EDIT: Trust me it looks better in person.
Bones
dmhq wrote:
well i like macs because they are easy to use, they never get viruses because (at least i think) on macs they only let programs acces themselves, so a virus couldnt interfere with anyting other than itself, unlike windows, which is very compatible so it lets different files acces eachother (problematic). anyway the two most irksome things abbout macs is 1: all the games you buy or software you download is mostly for windows(so you cant play stuff like WoW or GW) and 2: the idiots that think just because macs dont get viruses they go yelling "viva la mac!!!" (lol)


Macs dont generally get viruses because there are wayyyy more Windows boxes than mac...if you were coding a virus, why would you waste your time coding one for an os that has less than 2% of the market? You'd have to be a complete and total idiot to want to code viruses for mac os
If mac was anywhere near as popular as windows, you can bet your rent money that it would have just as much malware. But currently, it's a waste of time to try to infect mac.

I don't like the look of macs either..they look like chick computers
{name here}
Quote:
Well Dell is to overly decorative then I don't know wth That IBM case is.

Well if you compare it to an almost equal quality PC, the XPS it doesn't look overly decorative.
Quote:
You don't get much simpilar then that!

Yet at the same time you can't go crappier than that.
Simpler looking PC - but much more powerful:

Quote:
The G3 Apple Macintosh.<image>

I'm not seeing the black, as square as possible, and upgradability. I don't see value for power. I just don't see the number of Operating Systems that are availble on there regaurdless of Boot Camp. I don't see the ablilty to customize parts on purchase. I don't see anything in any mac that has any power over a PC, case designs or otherwise.
Animal
Guys, this is an Operating Systems forum, not a PC Cases forum. Please keep replies on-topic (ie. WWhat do you think of MacOS X", not "What do you think of the way Dell / IBM / Mac cases look?")

If this continues, I'll have to lock this topic - you have been warned! Twisted Evil
Xeniczone
[removed by James007]


Anyway about that upgrade issue with mac. It is very possible to upgrade.

My origanal g3 mac settings (when it was bought):
g3 350mhz
64mbs ram standard
6gig hard drive.
cd rom.
ati range 128

After I got done with it:
g3 350mhz
512mbs ram
20gig hard drive
cd rom
ati range 128
tv card

I was going to put a dvd burner I had go into it but the mac version I was using didn't support the software for the dvd burner.
The cpu I was going to upgrade to a g4 ---mhz w/e speed I could afford.
Then that hard drive is small So I'm thinking it needs another upgrade.
I'm not putting more money into it because I perfer to buy a new mac now.
I don't have a mac verions of a graphic card to put into it.

The only limit I see that I have is the graphic card. Everything else I upgraded or could upgrade.

Like I said the only reason I couldn't use the dvd burner was because I'm not using mac os x.
{name here}
The old powermacs look semi good and are fairly upgradeable(though theres still the problem of the tightly integrated ROM), but the new ones look better off as a cheese grater. I could probably buy one, and pop in Plan 9 or Inferno and run a server off one of them...
Xeniczone
you ask me Mac Os makes HORRIBLE SERVERS.

So do windows. I find mac os to do better then windows becauese of less crashes.

The best os I have used to run a server is linux. END OF STORY.

I think all macs are upgradeable. The only macs that aren't upgrade able or are made to be upgradable are The older ones. Before G3.

Then the other ones that aren't upgrade able is the iMacs. These are extremely hard to upgrade because of thier small cases.

I don't know about iMac but mac mini if you get a new case for it you can upgrade 1 pci card bus if my memory serves me right. If you take a mac mini apart and put it in a new bigger case that you can find on new egg. You can add a pci card to it.

but any powermac g3-g5 are very upgradable. I don't know what the deal is with the g5 powermac prices, but They are upgradable.
novisdesign
Im like Mac OS X. Tiger was a great update I think, and I like that its updated every few years. But X is nothing like OS 8. Smile.
Also, Apple makes great Mac OS Servers. Even using the standard version of OS X as a server (built in apache) is good enough for some.

-
{name here}
Mac OS X Server and Windows 2003 Server are really wastes of money. Both are secure for desktop use, but they still lack real security for server use. The more obscure the OS you use is for your server, the better. I personally like plan 9 for servers(basically what it was made for. Everything in its design makes it easier for creating a server).
Xeniczone
Quote:
Mac OS X Server and Windows 2003 Server are really wastes of money. Both are secure for desktop use, but they still lack real security for server use. The more obscure the OS you use is for your server, the better. I personally like plan 9 for servers(basically what it was made for. Everything in its design makes it easier for creating a server).


For once I agree with him.
AACrT
OS X is by far the best home style operating system. It is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows with functionality, apeal, ease of use, security, stability. People can make a case for Linux, Os/2's replacement etc but if you want the whole package--OS X is the only option.

And as far as the hardware? Well, Macs are great to look at, great to use, again the security and stability are unmatched (that really has alot more to do with the software though). Contrary to what I've seen here in these posts they are very upgradable. AND without voiding the warranty.

Granted if you want to get inside and change processors, harddrives and such you will void your warranty but that's NO different from any other hardware supplier. Let's face it, you want to open the box, unplug things, plug other things back in, make your own changes, and still hold the original manufacturer responsible for anything that you may have just caused? That's rediculous, crazy, and incredibly naive. As a matter of fact, most won't even cover your warranty if YOU put in more memory. Most won't cover you unless YOU paid someone to put in only specific memory (and the reason why they'll cover you is because they can blame that guy).

Let's be real folks, most of you have run into the most frustrating of issues with a windows box. You swear at them, hit 'em, scream and yell, and some of you have even thrown the monitor. Remember how that felt? Do you remember what the issue was that day? Chances are pretty good that what ever brought that out of you on a windows machine will not happen on OS X. I say "chances are" because I realize that sometimes that type of frustration is self induced for some reason or another and the same reason or another may still arize on a Mac. I've been guilty of doing dumb things causing lot's of frustration later also.

Unlike any of the other operating systems out there, you can get in and mess with them before you buy too. Go to your local Apple Store and play with anything you'd like, the people that work there will help you play if you need guidance. Or you can go to your local Comp USA, they all have an entire wing dedicated to macs, and they have Apple employees on hand to assist you.

Oh, and did I mention that Windows has been trying to copy the latest run of Mac OS's for 6 years now and have only advanced to SP2 (security upgrades only)?

Last year, this year, later this year, and now not until next year your windows maker is supposed to come out with the newest version. The one that closely emmulates Mac's OS X. Yet later this year your OS X will be upgraded for the 5th time in 6 years, AND it will come with ALL the basic software you want in a system? (other than pro apps ofcourse).

Wow, it amazes me that this stuff is out there, I read articles from journalists whose job it is to follow windows world and even they say that OS X is far better. How is it that there are still people out there that just don't get it?

And why would anyone want to put OS X on a Windows box? Mac's hardware is better and cheaper now than just about anything you can find. same or better bang for the buck. my iMac G5 has a 17" HD flat screen. It came free with my computer. Oh, it IS the computer. there are 2 other components, the keyboard and mouse. I can add Tons of memory to it, I can add as much harddrive as I'd like, it came with an incredible array of software including movie making and dvd authoring software. it burns DVD's, CD's, and plays DVD's etc. When it's on you can't hear it. It looks great in the living room, almost as if the living room was meant for it. It plays my songs, movies, shows my pitcures, can shut off my lights for me if I wish. And it cost me less than $1300.00, where else can you beat that. You can't. Yeah you can buy a machine that isn't great to look at, isn't quite, isn't compact for cheaper money, but once you buy it and you need to add this to it, add that to it, add up all the $$'s and you'll see... you got taken, "Dude... you shoulda bought a Mac..."

Hope this helps.

Rob
Xeniczone
I support everything he post.

He said something about how advanced the mac hardware is. In some ways he is correct.

Something he forgot to mention I think.

Peaple complain about How expencive iMacs are. All I can say is wow your stupid. iMac, have everything in one package. a monitor all nessiary components a keyboard a mouse. Your not just getting the box. You also get a lot of software. I'm suprised it doesn't cost more because most of the parts are laptop parts that cost more.
{name here}
Shocked Wow, I gotta say that is the biggest zealotry-skewed post I've ever seen. Steve Jobs had skewed your mind beyond any repair. I swear that you'll lick the bottom of his boots if you ever got the oppertuinity. Xeniczone at least has some more open-mindedness in his posts...
If I want eye candy, stability, and security, I'll get OpenBSD and install KDE on it. I'll build my own machine if I want a bang for my buck, to hell with looks! If I got a machine with a superiour AMD processor, a rediculously large amount of memory, and a large hard disk for all less than a Mac when in comes to part:price ratio.
Xeniczone
{name here} wrote:
Xeniczone at least has some more open-mindedness in his posts...


Thanks I guess.

For ppl that are just posting {name here} beleaves macintosh is a good operating system, but he doesn't beleave in a operating system that only is made for one type of hardware. So he supports Linux and os/2 and stuff like that that allow people to use every day computers.

If he doesn't mean that then wow he set the wrong impression.[/quote]
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
{name here} wrote:
Xeniczone at least has some more open-mindedness in his posts...


Thanks I guess.

For ppl that are just posting {name here} beleaves macintosh is a good operating system, but he doesn't beleave in a operating system that only is made for one type of hardware. So he supports Linux and os/2 and stuff like that that allow people to use every day computers.

If he doesn't mean that then wow he set the wrong impression.

I'm fine with Mac OS X, however, I do not like the idea of only one line of computers supporting the OS. I think that's a wasted business oppertuinity. I voted horrible because it has a horrible waste of oppertuinities that could have to company grow to a proportion rivaling that of microsoft. They really shouldn't have let windows onto macs with boot camp, they should've let macs into PCs. With how many users of PCs there are, they could've had a much greater audience.
To get Mac OS X, you'd have to pay $1000 for a decent new mac, while they could've have Mac OS X without buying a computer at all(unless it is old). Though this is less revenue than buying a mac, it has the potential to be equivelant or greater than to just sell them on a Mac.
Xeniczone
Quote:
They really shouldn't have let windows onto macs with boot camp, they should've let macs into PCs.


But yeh should they do this. Macintosh came first. and if they lisenced out mac they would loose thier hardware corperation. Apple would be like Microsoft just a software developer. and the single line of hardware does help keep out dangers 3rd party hardware that can make thier os unstable.

I know it limits hardware compadiblity, but it also works better then the way windows handles it's unstable problem. Windows handles it with excessive amounts of drivers to waste harddrive space, and then they also use the bsod the handle anything else.

Sure the BSOD is probably a better choice instead of kernal panic. But it also has it's issue.

Have a kernal panic and have a small chance of a recover.
Or have the BSOD and have windows distory any unsaved data and sometime data that is saved where the problem accured. (eg. You have a file open then your computer just turns of the file wasn't closed properly and become curropted.)
iammarty
i have used it for 6 months. i feel it a good os because it never hank.(Maybe i don't use it too hard) and i used to unix before, so OSX is very easy to understand. For Application in thailand hard to find it. there are less shop that sell applications for mac. this point is weak.
a1computerrepairs
Xeniczone wrote:
I gave it a 4/5.

Because I like it it is mac and mac has never failed me it has never crashed or been a surrender pansey like windows.

The reason i droped 1 point is because unlike "classic" witch on a slow processer can boot up in a min. X takes it's time booting up.
And I don't like the new window box around I liked classic looks better. More mac-ish


Dont forget mac is owned my microsoft. bit like them owning the world. I reckon Bill gates has a big red shut down button on his desk when he thinks every single person relys on him. lol
photographerguy
Mac is owned by Microsoft? Do you know something everybody else doesn't?
Sharkbite86
a1computerrepairs wrote:

Dont forget mac is owned my microsoft. bit like them owning the world. I reckon Bill gates has a big red shut down button on his desk when he thinks every single person relys on him. lol


Thats not true at all! Microsoft bought stock from Apple a while ago to save the company, but they no longer have that stock. No one owns apple but Steve Jobs and share-holders... You better double check where your getting your information bub.
Bones
So a few years back, Apple was about to go belly up, and MS kicks in the cash to buy enough stock and save the company? And Mac users still bash MS, pffft buncha ingrates
Sharkbite86
Bones wrote:
So a few years back, Apple was about to go belly up, and MS kicks in the cash to buy enough stock and save the company? And Mac users still bash MS, pffft buncha ingrates


As if i dont hear enough bashing from PC users against the Mac... so i guess we are even.
lukeropro
mac is fast but I don't like the interface. It's not as user-friendly compared to windows and a lot of software is not compatible with it.
Transponder
nice pc indeed i dont like white so much! Confused Confused Razz
computeraki
I've been using a mac for two years now. I also have an SuSE installation and a Windows one. Nevertheless, I constantly find myself wanting to work on the mac. After those two years, I only use windows for excel(vba) programming and linux for some goodies you cannot have in macs.
Apart from the look-good factor, macs also have some very interesting aspects not quite often mentioned. Firstly, Automator, which is probably the most intuitive automation tool. It can save you a lot of time, especially if you are not a CLI guru.
Secondly, getting used to the keyboard shortcuts can lead to a very fast-paced work environment. This is true for other OSes too, but I found Mac Os X's keyboard shortcuts more intuitive from day one.
By the way, this is my first post.
Sharkbite86
DarkAkira wrote:

Also, there aren't alot of good programs for it. There are alot of expensive ones, but there is next to nothing for games. And there are no real 3rd party programs. Sure, the programs it has run well with the system, but what if there is something that you want to do that mac doesnt have a program for? You cant find 3rd party programs that might do it, so your basically screwed.

I disagree. While i will accept the fact that there are FAR fewer apps for mac than windows, I have gotten along just fine with open source apps on the internet and other third party apps. There may not be as MANY apps for mac, but there sure are enough to do what needs to be done.

As for Games, yes there are very few and regretably game companies donot care fot eh mac platform much at all. Worse, games that are converted for the mac are late, far more expencive, and do not lower in price over time. Gaming on a mac is probably the mac's worst aspect of all, and i will admit that. With boot camp now though you can still play all your favortite games on a mac by simply booting into windows, but it's a poor fix indeed.

Quote:

And about them not crashing, Ive crashed them many times. Multi-tasking.
Macs cant handle multi-tasking. I try to do 4 things or more at once and it seizes or loads like crap. On my windows machine, I do like 12 things at once with no problem. It retarded how many problems mac gives me. I test every OS i use under extreme conditions because I need the stability. I do alot of work everyday, more than the average person.

This is really a quite ridiculous statement... This is all assuming you are using a hacked version of Mac OS X running on an unsupported PC? lol give me a break...

When I first installed Mac OS 10.4 on my 12" powerbook G4 it crashed non stop... but it was not the fault of the OS, I had corrupted memory (my own fault and a very long story). Long story short, I got new memory for my comp and I have never ever, ever, ever had it crash since. All this when i have installed many an application from all over internet; freeware, shareware, unsupported apps, shady programs that i probably should not have installed... nothing. About the only crash i ever get is from the application crashing due to it being bad, but the OS itself is quite stable.

Quote:

People say there are no viruses, but that is only because no one writes viruses for them. There is no point. There are more viruses for windows because it is more mainstream so more people are likely to get it. The goal of a virus writer is just to spread their creation as far as they can. Mac isn't that big compared to windows, there would be less spread of a virus if it is written for mac.

It's is true that the mac has a smaller market, and i will buy that they is why there are so few viruses. However, the fact of the matter is that there are no mac viruses. lol people can speculate about WHY there are none, but there still are none. There have been a few of late, yes, but they were weak, and you would have to bee pretty dumb to get it to work on your mac.

Quote:

As for hardware. You cant really upgrade a mac. I've done the research. They may run "good" cause they're compatible, but if you need something better, you have to buy a whole new mac to get more power. With a windows or linux machine, you can just buy the parts you need, install, and go. It is alot cheaper in the long run. You can keep upgrading a PC rather than always having to buy a new Mac. Mac gives you the keyboard, mouse, etc... ad you may have to buy each part for windows, but at least you are getting the things YOU want instead of the things mac says you HAVE to use.

All true. Yes I dont particually like the fact that you cannot upgrade the mac... but you can to an extent. I have an old iMac G3 that originally ran at 333mhz. I was able to get a card to upgrade it to 600mhz. But yes most of the time if you need more power you have to get a new comp... But they last forever Confused lol

Quote:

Mac also doesnt take full advantage of Video capabilities like windows. They're graphics are ok, but when it comes to 3d your pretty screwed. And there are no official drivers for nVidia graphics cards, which are the best in the industry. How can you take full advantage of a card made by nVidia if there are no nVidia drivers for it. You can't. Apple can write their own, but they wont do nearly as much as the ones from the company would. I do alot of 3d animation and I need the video capabilities in full. Mac doesnt give that to me.

That is complete crap (no offense). The mac has great graphics capabilities. The whole OS now is optimized to use the graphics card. Apple has implemented Open GL down into the OS's core. There is nothing holding back the graphics of the OS but people implementing it into their apps. If you take a look at some of Apple's video apps they are LOADED with graphical hoodahhada that looks awesome. 3D is no problem on a mac, it is just the lack of games that take advantage of the mac's built in stuff that is the problem.

Anyway, wow went on a bit too much... Just trying to clear up some of the miss ideas that PC users have aboout the Mac OS.
Srs2388
well when i posted before i had used it for like 30 minutes
after using it alot more
it is by far the best OS i have ever used
it hasn't crashed or frozen once
i havn't even gotten one pop up
and i dont have to download a firewall
i dont have to download an antirus or a spyware or an adware protection program
its awesome
{name here}
Quote:
it is by far the best OS i have ever used
it hasn't crashed or frozen once
i havn't even gotten one pop up
and i dont have to download a firewall
i dont have to download an antirus or a spyware or an adware protection program

Every OS that isn't Microsoft's is just like that(except eComStation which is partially Microsoft's due to OS/2's history). This isn't at all unique to Mac OS X.
Bones
I havent had a single crash in XP that wasent hardware related in the 4 years I've been using it, and at least 95% of the XP crashes I see at work are either hardware failures or user stupidity/error. I guess I'm lucky
cchantrain
I switched to Mac OsX 2 years ago and it is very cool OS. It is simple, stable and I life apps are pretty cool. The only thing I regret is the price of the Mac hardware.
kiranaghor
Are there any Mac Os X Leoperd 10.5 scrennshots available on net?
Plz post the link for me.
Does anybody know what new features will be there in 10.5?
Sharkbite86
kiranaghor wrote:
Are there any Mac Os X Leoperd 10.5 scrennshots available on net?
Plz post the link for me.
Does anybody know what new features will be there in 10.5?

There were some floating around on the net a while back but I think they were fakes. They were not very intersting anyway (looked like 10.4 with slight modifications) and they didnt show anything. I am looking forward to the "mac pro" and an upgrade to the macbook pros much more than 10.5 to be honest.
dingdongduck08
4/5

Pros:
•Great Apperance
•Great Mobile system, connects effortlessly to wireless networks
•Compatible with almost every piece of hardware, from a ton of printers, down to my cell phone

Cons:
•Pricey
•Every upgrade puts a harder strain on my system
•Compatibility with Mac OS 9 applications could be worked out
orcaz
In my opinion, Macintosh are only good for professionals and those who love sleek UIs. However, other than that, I don't see any advantage of Macintosh. I would rather use a Linux distro if I dont want to use Windows.
Studio Madcrow
It's a very nice OS with a few flaws that keep it from a 5/5...

1. Very poor driver support. Yes, I know that Apple only supports a limited ammount of hardware, but when you have a standard bus, it would be nice to self-upgrade a little. Just imagine a Mac Pro with two GeForce 8800GTXs running in SLI. Pure computer bliss... Unfortunantely, there aren't (as far as I can tell) any drivers for fancy high-end video cards.

2. Poor customizability. The default Mac OS X look is very nice, but not for everybody. MacOS 8 and 9 had a themes engine that worked quite well. OS X dumped any official support for themeing, leaving the customization market to shareware developers who had to actually hack the OS to get stuff done as OS X has a very skin-hostile API (much more so than even System 7)

3. Only runs on expensive hardware. The markup from standard PC prices to Mac prices isn't as big as it used to be, but it's still there. You really are paying workstation prices (albeit low-end ones) for PC-quality hardware (albeit well-built PC hardware)
mogchr
I voted 3/5, even though I think the OS is advanced. First off, I don't like how Apple just took the FreeBSD kernel, striped it of many of its features, added old NeXTSTEP code, and put together their own GUI. I'd like for MacOSX to be fully opensource instead of just the kernel, and I hate how expensive the price is. To me, I would rather just customize FreeBSD to get a better experience. Overall, the OS is eyecandy and has some nice applications, but I would rather just go for plain old BSD.
Sergiy
The MAC OS is the best. Is free (whit Mac) and fast. Have emulators for Windows programs and all programms for easy and comfort use.
Is expensive but I buy iMac next year Laughing
Xeniczone
Quote:
I'd like for MacOSX to be fully opensource instead of just the kernel, and I hate how expensive the price is.


If MacOSX was opensource then many of there own added features would be stolen. Features like the dock menu, and the way you scroll through your open windows.

Mac OS X isn't expensive. It's only 130 dollars for the full install. For the full install of Windows XP it would cost you around 400 dollars, but of course that would be retarted when you can buy the upgrade for 200 and an old Windows 95 disk for 5 bucks.

Your getting off topic and saying that Apples Hardware is expensive.
DarkAkira
OSX 10.4.10 is amazing.

Mac Hardware isn't expensive.

OSX 10.5 (Leopard) is going o blow vista out of the water.

Gaming is no longer an issue on Mac. EA Games has signed with Apple, and will be porting they're best titles to Mac including Command & Conquer 3, Battlefield 2142, and a few others to start (i didnt really care about others).

People who hate macs either

A. Have never used one.
B. Have used for for 10 seconds - 2 minutes
C. Have not used Tiger and are basing they're comments on OS 9 or early OSX.
D. Are clueless about how PC's work and don't realize how flawed windows is.

There is more. but I am at work and to lazy to post more.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
I'd like for MacOSX to be fully opensource instead of just the kernel, and I hate how expensive the price is.


If MacOSX was opensource then many of there own added features would be stolen. Features like the dock menu, and the way you scroll through your open windows.

You can setup many Linux window managers to behave very similarily to Mac OS X. I know that the dock menu for one is a very easy thing to setup in GNOME and KDE I believe can do something similar.
sush
The MacBook Pro is especially nice, I'm waiting for an ultraportable to come out.

Mac OS is a really different world - software options are less and mostly non-free. By less I mean less than software options for windows - so that's like saying 10,000 is less than 1,000,000,000. The Mac's got everything you need. Plus it looks cooler and has a solid open-source BSD base.
infobankr
I originally use MS-DOS, then Macintosh on a iiCi, and continued on Macs for a long time until I started programming, when I switch to Windows. Then I switched to linux, and then back to Mac because they had a darwin core with a nice gui, so I would have to bother with cygwin.

Now that mac is focusing more on entertainment instead of business and programming, I might switch completely to linux, but I still use photoshop and illustator from time to time. Though gimp and inkwell are getting better and better everyday. I love open source software so I really should make the switch. Smile
Alaskacameradude
I run a video production company and I do EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING on my mac. It is absolutely a rock solid machine. I used to use a windows machine, but my mac is worlds better for what I do. I don't have to worry about figuring out what drivers to install when I add on to my 'edit bench' with new software or hardware, it just always works. I much prefer mac as a centerpiece of a video editing suite. PC's are fine for business applications and such, and if you want to spend time monkeying around with one, you can make them do almost anything, including video editing. I'd rather spend my time making money then troubleshooting computers.
Related topics
What is your operating system?
MAC os X run on a PC?
First Mac OS X Worm a Wake-Up Call
Bluetooth worm targets Mac OS X
MAC OS X
To share files on a Windows XP and a Mac OS X
A good place to learn Java
Windows XP vs Mac OS X
Windows Vista vs Mac OS X
What Operation System Do You Use And Why
most secure O.S
Mac OS X op PC?
Why do you use your current operating system?
How to make transparent images easily?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.