FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

boot.ini modifications

x-stream
Hi guys! I use the Windows OS Selector (I know it´s stupid, but I do!), you know, this terrible white-on-black programm which comes up when you use more than one OS. Maybe you know, that there is a line in the boot.ini for each OS the OS Selector will show. The Problem is, that I want the OS Selector to show a OS not, but I don't want to delete the whole line! Is there a Comment Symbol for .ini files? Maybe a ' or a #? I think when I write this Comment-Symbol in front of the line, the computer thinks, It´s a comment and doesn´t show the line´s OS!

Can u help me? Confused
Xeniczone
couldn't you just cut it out of there and put it in another txt document then if you want to put it back just copy and past it back into there.

A better way would make a back up of your boot.ini and then cut out the part you want. Then you will have a back up if you want to put it back in.
Exclamation Warning Exclamation You do understand if you mess something up in the boot.ini you could cause your computer not to boot!
SunburnedCactus
The comment symbol for INI files is ; btw, e.g:

; This is a comment
; and so is this.
x-stream
@mess when modificating: No Problem. Just put in the MS Windows XP CD and reinstall...
I´ll try your ideas... thank you
Bones
Reinstalling Windows to rebuild your boot.ini file is a little excessive. I prefer to boot to recovery console from the XP disk and run bootcfg /rebuild

This will rebuild your boot.ini in case you mess it up, although it's usually easier to just make a backup copy of it.

x-stream wrote:
@mess when modificating: No Problem. Just put in the MS Windows XP CD and reinstall...
I´ll try your ideas... thank you
x-stream
that´s ok, too
But I won´t mess it up anyway Wink
matrix07
TO SOLVE URE PROBLEM CREATE A TEXT FILE IN NOTEPAD OR ANY OTHER N TYPE FOLLOWING FIVE LINES:
[boot loader]
time out=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
AFTER TYPING NAME THE FILE AS boot.ini AND SAVE IT
DATS IT URE BOOT INI IS CREATED!!
Clash
matrix07 wrote:
TO SOLVE URE PROBLEM CREATE A TEXT FILE IN NOTEPAD OR ANY OTHER N TYPE FOLLOWING FIVE LINES:
[boot loader]
time out=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
AFTER TYPING NAME THE FILE AS boot.ini AND SAVE IT
DATS IT URE BOOT INI IS CREATED!!
Actually the easiest way is to open your boot.ini in notepad and save it as boot.txt

Now you have a backup, with half a dozen mouse clicks and typing three letters Laughing
tamilchild
Boot with WinXP recovery console and run the command

run bootcfg /rebuild

this command may be solve your problem. Laughing