FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do mac's need special hardware.

Xeniczone
Ok, I'm kinda a new user to macs. I have used them in the past but I just got one. The first thing I tried to do was installed a dvd burner. When I tried to boot it up it just froze So I took it out and it works fine.

Specs:
-PowerPC 350mhz
-512mbs ram
-Mac OS 9.2.1
-It is a PowerMac So I can interchange parts. And it is a Blue and White so it isn't the older baige ones.
TheGeek
in general, Macs require proprietary hardware to work with their OS. Recently though it looks like they are porting the OSX operating system to the X86(intel/AMD) platform so this hardware dependancy may not be an issue in the near future. As for right now though like a mac computer requires mac specific video and sound cards. As for keyboards, mice, and monitors you can still just use generic stuff for that.
Xeniczone
Ok, thx but the x86 verion of mac os only works on apple plateforms. because of apples use of firewire instead of bios. I perfer firewire it boots quicker then bios.

EXAMPLE:
MAC:
-powerpc g3 350mhz
-512mbs ram
-mac os 9.2.1
-boot time: ~1 min 20 seconds
-shutdown time: 3 secs
PC:
-Intel Pentium 4 2.2ghz (2200mhz)
-512mbs ram
-windows xp
-boot time: ~1 min 20 seconds
-shutdown tim: 1min (too long)

But what about my dvd burner will it work? Does it just need software is it becuase it isn't apple based it is new out of box.