FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard disk having problems

seanooi
My friend has this 120GB external hard disk. He first got it it worked perfectly fine at first, that was when he was back in china. He made 4 equal partitions (30GB each) and had files stored in every one of the partition.

When he came here (USA) he brought his hard disk along. And when he tried to plug it into the computers here, the hard disk was empty.

Disk management showed that there was a 120GB hard disk but in My Computer it only showed 30GB.

I'm suspecting that it may be because of static during his flight here.

Anyone else here can help explain why this is happening?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Animal
It could have been static, or possibly because of the X-Ray equipment that will have been used at the airport. It could also be something simple like a non-recognised file system - if he formatted it on Linux, for example, Windows wouldn't necessarily be able to read it. Likewise, if he used FAT12 and his computer uses NTFS it may not be readable.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it keeps "reformatting" itself - it's very possible that the cause of the problem has been during air transit.
Sizzle
I would hook that drive up to a machine that has NTFS. Then it may (and most likely) will be that it's just that he volumes are not mounted. Mount all the volumes (and thus assigning them a drive letter). After they are all mounted, if nothing is there, then yes there is a slight chance that something happened because of the trip.

You have to remember that this is external, so quite possibly it is only reading the first partition. I'll keep my fingers crossed that when you mount the other 3 volumes that there is some data there.

Good luck and God speed!
superwrestler06
It may be becouse of your computers age and what operating system you have. Like windows 95 or 98 may not beable to detect it or it could be that your motherboard is old.
4ndY
I think that partitions tables were damaged on HDD (maybe due to transport):
- you dont see all partition
- wrong size of disk
- no data on it
Try to restore them somehow (google it, but i think that winXP has tool for that).
SoftStag
It is unlikely that the disk will have been damaged. I have taken laptops on many flights and they have not been affected by x-ray or anything. I think it is one of two issues; either:
1) The machine you are trying to read the disk on in the US does not have an operating system that can read the partition types that are on there (ie. Win98 trying to read NTFS), or
2) The BIOS's of the two machines have interpreted the hardware config of the drives slightly differently. This can happen when different BIOS's autoconfigure the drives. You can get round this by configuring the drive in the BIOS on the system in the US manually to exactly how it is reported in the BIOS in China (not that you are likely to know whithout going back to China).
seanooi
I can be quite sure that this one here doesn't

He doesn't even know how to install windows. Laughing
sterngate
if you never heard of, there a good program know as partition magic 7.0 or 8.0, you can download it at www.filemirrors.com. What happen is it only show 30g because the other 90g is still in un-creat format, which need to be creat. This can also be done in ms-dos. but the program above will done it all.
SoftStag
sterngate wrote:
if you never heard of, there a good program know as partition magic 7.0 or 8.0, you can download it at www.filemirrors.com. What happen is it only show 30g because the other 90g is still in un-creat format, which need to be creat. This can also be done in ms-dos. but the program above will done it all.

Partition Magic is not a free application. Downloading in this way is piracy. Whilst Partition Magic is a good application, you should get it from here and PAY FOR IT:
Partition Magic 8.0
Boles Roor
http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html
Free Partition Magic 8.0 Trail.
ezekiel_rage
A free alternative to partition magic is ranish ( http://www.ranish.com/part/ ) very powerful. it runs on DOS though, because its intended to be used with a boot disk and partition preparation prior to OS installation.

About the problem of missing partitions, one should keep ion mind the differences of the capabalities of various OSes.

if you are using windows 9x you should format your drives/partition in the FAT32 filesystem.

If you are using Windows NT (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003) you should use the NTFS format for better performance.

Now if you are using linux, its really up to you you could use ext2, ext3, or reiserFS.

if you really intend to use you drive in different OSes. its more logical to use FAT32 since the majority of modern OSes could read and write to it.

the only OSes that will have problems reading a FAT32 partition would be Windows 3.1 and below. but then FAT16 and below does not support partitions larger than 2GB

Just my 2 cents Wink
seanooi
I suggested to him that recovering the missing partitions might help, but he's scared that something might go wrong and is not willing to risk it because he has pictures of his son in his hard disk since his son was born.

So yeah, i guess it's really up to him to decide what to do next. He's planning to bring it to a recovery company.
webmastering
the problem might be that you are only looking at one of the partitions

also, the computer that you are hooking it up to might be old or someting.
check the bios to see if it recognizes it. also use a partition software like partition magic to see what is going on with the partitions.
Clash
He's obviously hooking it into a system that reads NTFS, as he referred to Disk Management which is not present on Fat32 systems.

It's possible that the partitions that are missing have been set with drive letters that correspond to the system he is plugging into. When you format an NTFS partition, the system will ask you for a drive letter. If you plug into another system with the same drive letter the partition wil not be visible.

e.g. you format your partitions C, D, E, F.

You connect to a system with drives C, D and E present

You can only view partition F

You can choose not to assign a drive letter when formatting partitions. This is usually the best for removable drives, so that drive letters can be assigned on the fly.

His best bet is to connect to an NTFS system with only one active drive. That way he can access three of his partitions and get the data off them. The hard part will be the first partition. Take one step at a time.

Finally, why do people persist in creating separate partitions?, it is absolutely a waste of time and energy. If you are using a drive to store data, thenseperate folders are just as good and a lot less messy.
ChargerBear
Clash wrote:
Quote:
Finally, why do people persist in creating separate partitions?, it is absolutely a waste of time and energy. If you are using a drive to store data, thenseperate folders are just as good and a lot less messy.

In my desktop I installed a 10 gig drive I had laying around my house in addition to the 40 gig drive that was in it. I had to redo Windows XP on the existing drive. I installed winxp on the 10 gig drive, copied all the files that I wanted to save to the 10 gig drive, reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP on the 40 gig drive, copied all the saved files to the 40 gig drive. I formatted the 40 gig in NTFS. Then I reformatted the 10 gig drive in Fat 32. This is my Linux partition. Linux does not recognize NTFS. This is one reason you might want to partition your hard drive.
Clash
Quote:
Linux does not recognize NTFS. This is one reason you might want to partition your hard drive.

Agreed, but as I said earlier "if you are using a drive to store data"