FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless Network Question

photographerguy
Hello,

At home I had a desktop pc/winxp with a cable modem. I bought a laptop/winxp and a wireless router. I plugged the wireless router into the cable modem and the laptop connects fine. Later I bought a MacOSX laptop. This connected to the wireless network with no problem. Everything is good.

My questions:

Can I make these 3 computers into a network for home?
Do I need ethernet cables or will the wireless 'just work'?
Is it as simple as enabling file sharing?
My Dell printer doesn't have Mac printer drivers availiable (I'm angry)
Can I use a remote desktop on my Mac to print something on my Mac harddrive through one of the PCs to the Dell Printer?
The Dell printer is plugged into the laptop PC and I have an old school, crappy printer plugged into the desktop. Can I do the same for the desktop?
chockybiky
photographerguy wrote:
Hello,

At home I had a desktop pc/winxp with a cable modem. I bought a laptop/winxp and a wireless router. I plugged the wireless router into the cable modem and the laptop connects fine. Later I bought a MacOSX laptop. This connected to the wireless network with no problem. Everything is good.

My questions:

Can I use a remote desktop on my Mac to print something on my Mac harddrive through one of the PCs to the Dell Printer?
The Dell printer is plugged into the laptop PC and I have an old school, crappy printer plugged into the desktop. Can I do the same for the desktop?

Never done any work with a mac before. I know that threw run different file systems and such. Try http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/mxpfs.html for some info. Sorry if it's not much help, it was the first page google threw up. Your windows box's should have no problem seeing each other once you run through the network wizards.
SirDuncan
photographerguy wrote:

you can

photographerguy wrote:

you need a ethernet switch/hub for connect via cable the wireless router with the desktop pc. For the laptops use the wireless connection.

photographerguy wrote:

the windows machines can "see" each other trough the net, for the mac laptop you can try this:
http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/index.html
my knowledge of mac is very little... Sad

photographerguy wrote:

this may help:
http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/06/0201.html

photographerguy wrote:

all the computers will be part of the same network so you can share files and printers between them (windows machines) for the mac laptop try the urls, but again I say, don't have experience on mac.

hope this helps

DKN
eason2012
my first question is what poeesed u to buy a mac b/c they suck. and second if u have 2 winxp compter/laptop why would u buy a mac. it makes no sense. and SirDuncan is right on all those questions he answered expect for this one
Quote:
photographerguy wrote:

you need a ethernet switch/hub for connect via cable the wireless router with the desktop pc. For the laptops use the wireless connection.

u shouldnt need a switch/hub for the desktop b/c the wirless router u bought should have at least 2 to 4 ports for desktop computes unless it is some brand i have never heard of before and doesnt have any ports or it is just an acess point.
dsauxier
Congrats on the purchase of a high-quality mac that will outperform your XP while being much more stable and secure at the same time.

Be sure to set up wireless security, don't go with an open system.
It's ok to do that for a short time while getting it set up, but most people tend to leave it open forever.
photographerguy
eason2012 wrote:
my first question is what poeesed u to buy a mac b/c they suck. and second if u have 2 winxp compter/laptop why would u buy a mac. it makes no sense. and SirDuncan is right on all those questions he answered expect for this one
Quote:
photographerguy wrote:

u shouldnt need a switch/hub for the desktop b/c the wirless router u bought should have at least 2 to 4 ports for desktop computes unless it is some brand i have never heard of before and doesnt have any ports or it is just an acess point.

I didn't ask for your opinion about the quality of macs. If you are really that upset and want to know: I am going to school for photography/graphic design. Mac is the indusrty standard for those two fields. Do a job search if you don't believe me. Also the desktop pc is my parent's which is outdated and slow (5 years old).

Thank you for your enlightening post.