You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DreamWeaver or Visual Studio

Which tool is better?

Thanks Ahead!
I have never used virtual studio, but I do use dreamweaver and program works really good for me. I don't think I would try another program if one is working fine for me. I think they are probably both good programs so just get use to using one. It really depends on what your going to use the programs for.
I would go with Dreamweaver. I personally think it's a lot user friendly-er. I don't like Microsoft web design products, especially Frontpage, because it add a lot a lot of unnecessary code in your page. And often those custom code only runs on Microsoft IE and not on Firefox.
Havent tried Visual Stuido, but like the rest of the posters, I use Dreamweaver and I love it! I can't imagine switching to another web design program.
dreamweaver is definitely the best tool for what u want. very graphic and even more powerful with its server side tools.
well i have not tried visual studio, but have used macromedia dreamweaver and works good for me. so far, so good.
Dreamweaver all the way!

*Crimson editor* for editing! (it's free too)
i prefer Dreamweaver, the company has tons of experience Very Happy
I have to use Visual Studio for C++ and C coding. As soon as I code something else I leave that environment and use Netbeans (for Java) and of course DW8.
Use Dreamweaver, the interface is better and more user friendsly plus the integration with other design products is pretty useful.
I don't think that it's possible to compare Dreamweaver with VisualStudio, I know that many ASP and ASP.NET developer use Visualstudio, but for me who have sold my soul to php, do I suggest Dreamweaver. I have 2005, and I found it extremly useless as it too much too big application, to use for designing webpages. It takes 3 DVD-Rom's, and complete installation waste more than 10 Gb of your harddisk, and works best on Windows Server 2003 platform with office 2003.

So if you're a Microsof-lover, yes visualstudio wins, but if you are don't care or Microsoft-hater, is this the right reason to hate...Smile

As an IDE for development of desktop applications (and to some extent .NET web applications), Visual Studio is second in my mind only to (pre-.NET versions of) Delphi (and Eclipse might get there sometime). As a web design tool, not so much.

But most often, I'll be using a good text editor for that anyway. I never got used to DreamWeaver, and I wouldn't be using any of the WYSIWYG functionality anyway, so... No choice from me, because, to summarize, Visual Studio's primary function isn't web design, and I don't have much use for DreamWeaver.
I'm asking this because I don't know anything about it. What exactly does VS do that Dreamweaver can't. My buddy is the head of an IT department (he sets up networks/hardware/servers) but doesn't know jack about designing websites and programming. He suggested I learn .net. Is that a separate programming language for company sites/programs to run on microsoft servers? I personally love Studio 8. Even though I hate Microsoft, I would consider learning this beacuse he could get me jobs designing stuff for companies that use this. I'm more of a photo/graphics guy, but I'm learning Dreamweaver/Flash/html/CSS. Is VS something I should add to the list?
photographerguy wrote:
I'm asking this because I don't know anything about it. What exactly does VS do that Dreamweaver can't. My buddy is the head of an IT department (he sets up networks/hardware/servers) but doesn't know jack about designing websites and programming. He suggested I learn .net. Is that a separate programming language for company sites/programs to run on microsoft servers?

This post will get a bit long, so I split it up with headers Wink

About Visual Studio

Visual Studio, as mentioned, is a development environment for several languages - C#, C++, Visual Basic and J# (Microsoft's bastard edition of Java) - pretty much made to develop anything from Windows applications to web solutions in any of those languages. But again, geared towards development for MS platforms. If you only intend to design webpages, and you're using PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, whatever for dynamic content, there's nothing VS can provide for you. DreamWeaver = better choice.

About .NET

.NET is a development environment made by Microsoft. Basically, it's a set of development tools + a library of functions developed to be cross-language and (to some extent) cross-platform. You can develop desktop applications in .NET - as well as websites (ASP.NET). In this way, it's similar to Java. Where it departs from Java is:

1. It's Microsoft Wink

2. It's cross-language. I.e., .NET isn't a language. Theoretically, any language can be used to develop .NET applications (or websites), given a compiler that turns the code into CIL (Common Intermediate Language - more on that later).

So, right now, it's possible to develop .NET in C# (a language similar to C++ and Java, developed specifically for .NET), Visual Basic, Object Pascal (using Borland's Delphi.NET), C++, J#, Ruby, Eiffel, Python, LISP, heck, even PHP... And about 20 other languages.

3. The CIL/CLR (Common Language Runtime). This is an "inbetween" binary language similar to Java's "bytecode". But unlike Java, this bytecode isn't interpreted line by line when you run the program. Rather, it's compiled into native platform code, meaning that, yes, potentially (and often in practice) .NET apps are faster than Java apps.

So far, most of the support has been for the Windows platform, but several initiatives (Mono and DotGNU) have made it possible to run .NET desktop applications on Linux, Mac etc. .NET isn't even limited to proprietary MS tools anymore.

In the end, .NET (in a technology MS call WinFX) will replace the Windows API for all development of applications for Windows.

The thing most companies focus on when it comes to .NET is ASP.NET, though - web development for Microsoft's IIS web server platform. This can be done in a similar way to PHP (or the old ASP) - very few people do this (I do) - or you can make use of MS's component-based approach (drag/drop) in Visual Studio to put together a dynamic website. The downside to the latter is that ASP.NET generates a lot of HTML/Javascript/CSS code that you have no control over.

The upside of this is, you're using the same language, and the same function libraries, for developing Windows applications (which can also be made to work on Mac, Linux etc.) as you use for creating dynamic web pages.

The downside is, there isn't as much of an open source community dedicated to making libraries for .NET, as there is for, say, PHP. This doesn't mean there isn't anything or that it's impossible for a part time programmer to get support, though. Wink
zarky wrote:
Which tool is better?

Thanks Ahead!

LIsten dude
First of all ,, Idea u need to know wat exactly ur gonna do with any of them Idea cause every purpose has a certain course
if u try just surfin online tutorials , u wont be that professional by the end
so there is some vedio learning cds that u can grab ,, with by cash or free
well i know some good company named total training
it makes these course on dvd cds
and its available online to download,, but using torrents way,, type in google search : search torrents total training dreamweaver
then it will come for u with a billion of sites, probably all workin,, its a 3 dvd course, so u better have a good connection to download it,,
hope that was good info for u
see ya Smile Arrow
It really depends on scripting language you are coding in. For anything .NET; Visual Studio, HTML & ASP; Dreamweaver, but for PHP; Zend Studio is the best by far.
I use Dreamweaver 8, i think dreamweaver's the best.... Cool
DREAMWEAVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its fast, simple, easy, best, efficient......................and anything else u want.....

but you can find another program almost the same.....its name is either "NUV" or "NVU" somthin like this.... try out the can download it..... FREE....

visual studio is hard to use. I like DREAMWEAVER. But they're both so expensive
Personally I would use both at the same time as a combined effort. However you should remember that you can only write ASP. NET pages with Visual Studio. If you are unsure about what they are then I would suggest you to look into the Microsoft's Website or MSDN. I have used both and both of them are highly friendly
Dreamweaver rocks! I use dreamweaver 8.0 and i can tell it's an amazing program.. you can make a very professional looking webpage with dynamic content and everything, in a few clicks, in a fast and easy way.. You can find it hard to work at first sight, but as soon as you start working with it, you find it quite easy.. and even if you have doubts there are lots of tutorials avaible everywhere in the web..
Dreamweaver rocks yes but if your a pure XMLer then Visual is for you, but we like dremweaver because in is more broad.
Panthrowzay wrote:
Dreamweaver rocks yes but if your a pure XMLer then Visual is for you, but we like dremweaver because in is more broad.

yeap, dreamweaver. Maybe because i'm not really good in codes so i cant design with notepad. But dreamweaver really saves me alot of time. Although, im not a pro in the full use of the tool.