FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD Burn Question

zarky
I bought 100 Blank DVD-R which are 12X. My DVD Burner is 16X. I keep on failed to burn these DVDs.

Any Idea?

Thanks!
Animal
set your DVD drive to burn at a lower speed - dropping it down to 8x will probably give you the absolute best reliability, but it should support up to 12x.
slawek
Maybe you should change your Burning software - because nero has many problems with many writers and DVD disks .You should also check your DVD writer compatibilty with these DVD . For example if you are trying to burn DVD+R with incompatible writer you can be sure that you won't do it . If you bought these disks and they were very cheap and produced by not well-known manufacturer.Try to use better media (TDK, Platinum, Sony, Verbatim) , but if your problem still appear you should check your hardware.
chockybiky
zarky wrote:
I bought 100 Blank DVD-R which are 12X. My DVD Burner is 16X. I keep on failed to burn these DVDs.

Any Idea?

Thanks!

The above advice is good, you should also consider taking them back if you get continued bad burns. DVD's are like anything else, they come in varying qualities, but all should be of merchantable quality.
chockybiky
zarky wrote:

Any Idea?

Thanks!

What are you using the discs for? I ask as if it's for movies then consider using DVD+R You can can, providing your software allows, set the book type. This will give you better compatibility with older dvd players. Check out cdfreaks for some more in depth information.
bluefossil
I had the same problem on my burner before. After I upgraded the firmware, all DVDs burnt flawlessly. You may want to check the manufacture website to see if there is any firmware updates. The other suggestion is what slawek said - use a different burning software.
luckybird
What does the firmware mean? The DVD Burner's driver?
My DVD burner is 8X and DVD-R is also 8X, but I can only use 2X speed to burn otherwise the disc can not be read. I use nero 6.0. It only allows me to burn DVD-R with 4X highest speed.

Quote:
I had the same problem on my burner before. After I upgraded the firmware, all DVDs burnt flawlessly. You may want to check the manufacture website to see if there is any firmware updates. The other suggestion is what slawek said - use a different burning software.
xray757
quite some time ago I had a similar problem with my CD-Burner. It can burn 16x (this was fast in these days in the past), but it always failed to burn with more than 8x, because the datastream coming from the HDD wasn't fast enough (maybe the HDD had some errors too?).
ezekiel_rage
zarky wrote:

Any Idea?

Thanks!

May I ask how much RAM you have on your system?

As i understand it, the files being burned are first cached to the HDD then TO RAM then finaly to the media.

So you need fairly sizable amount of RAM in your system. I suppose 512MB is sizable enough.

And by the way, does your burner support Buffer-Under run Protection? if it does is it activated?
Urahara
What software are you using? (I suggest Nero)

Yeah you are most likely running out of memory, make sure you are not running anything else when you are burning your DVD. Also make sure you don't just go away and let your computer go into screensaver as that sometimes can cause errors.

If you're still having problems make your Windows XP (Assumg you're using it) use classical display to save some memory, it might just help.

Run de-frag/clean up your hard drives, if there aren't enough space for temporary cache it would naturally fail to burn.

If all else fails, get more memory/better harddrive.
MonkeyWrench
looks like you got a bad DVD rom speed. I havent had any problems with burning from DVD before Cool
aleksandarp
Some DVD or CD burners can't burn CDs from all marks. For example one type of Samsung CD burner can't burn cheaper CDs.
lieutenant_Allaire
DVD Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers)

lot of informations about DVDs that can help:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.11
headlong
I had similar problems. It seems some blank medias and burners are not compatible. I suggest that you can try to reduce the speed when you try to burn something.

My burner is 16X. It keeps on failing with a 8X media. When I turn to 4X, everything works just fine.
Bones
ould be crap media too...recently had a spndle of Vakoss dvd's all labled as 8x although the burn would fail 50% of the time if I burned with Nero faster than 4x. Then I tried burning some data at 8x using alcohol 120% (which determines the best burn speed itself) well when I tried using 8x to burn it said 'illegal speed for this media' turns out the fastest they would burn is 6x, not 8x like was advertised on the dvd itself.

I highly recommend Verbatum dvd's as I have burned with tem many times at 16x with no problems at all.
RaMo
you guys are noob just buy PROPER DVD-R'S omg.. if ur speed just does 16x and more.. why buy 12x ?? just sutpid
Chris24
bluefossil wrote:

This is the best advice I can see so far. If your burner is a little old some of the newer dvd's will not be able to be read by the burner. After you update the firmware and flash the writer you should have no problems.

If you can't figure out how to do post your burner make and model here and we can try to set you up with a link.

If you feel like reading check out this link http://forum.digital-digest.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43