FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Creating sub domains

Carupieara
I want to create a website for my family. Can i work it around some way that my brothers and sisters will have their own subdomain and their own password so that they can edit and work on their own pages? Don't mind please, I'm extremely new to this.

And how is creating a domain different from creating a subdomain?
Bondings
Carupieara wrote:
I want to create a website for my family. Can i work it around some way that my brothers and sisters will ahve their own subdomain and their own password so that they can edit and work on their own pages. I'm extremely new to this.

Whatever you do, they will have access to all your files with php. You are however able to make a new domain or subdomain with it's own directory and ftp account.
Carupieara
Bondings wrote:
Carupieara wrote:
I want to create a website for my family. Can i work it around some way that my brothers and sisters will ahve their own subdomain and their own password so that they can edit and work on their own pages. I'm extremely new to this.

Whatever you do, they will have access to all your files with php. You are however able to make a new domain or subdomain with it's own directory and ftp account.

In that case they can't mess with my files?
Bondings
Carupieara wrote:

They normally will be able to mess with your files, just not directly. A php script will most likely be able to get and change most of the content of all files including database passwords.
Daniel15
Bondings wrote:
Carupieara wrote:

They normally will be able to mess with your files, just not directly. A php script will most likely be able to get and change most of the content of all files including database passwords.

What Bondings means is that while they won't have access to your files through FTP, they could write a script to edit the files. If your brothers and sisters don't know a lot about programming, you shouldn't be worried. Otherwise, you know who to blame if something goes wrong Wink.

Quote:
And how is creating a domain different from creating a subdomain?

A subdomain is like [yourname].[yoursite], for example, subdomain.yourname.frihost.net or support.dansoftaustralia.net.

A domain is something like [yourname].com. These need to be purchased. If you want a domain, DomainSite.com sells them for US$6.99 a year.