FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Constitution Rewrite

mschnell
If you were to rewrite your nation's constitution, what changes would you make? Would you make any changes at all?

I'm in the US and my biggest change would be to go to a proportional representation system. This leads to a multiparty system. In my opinion, it would lead to better representation.

I found this to be an interesting book on the topic. I had to read it last year in American Politics.

Robert Dahl--How Democratic is the American Constitution?
Vrythramax
I don't know if I would actually change anything, meaning to drop it altogether, but I feel that many of the items in the Constitution need to brought up to date. This is not the 18th century anymore and alot of the wording is horribly out of date.

What was good for the framers of the Constitution is still good for us today, the spirit of the document remains, but in todays society it seems that more and more people & groups are using the Constitution not as the gaurentee of rights that is was meant to be, but more of a weapon to force another group to bend to a "common will", in some cases using it as a tool of extortion against certain groups.

Keep the framework of the Constituion intact, but bring it up to speed so it can do what it's supposed to do, not what we want it to do.
Jack_Hammer
It woudld be great if everyone had a say on everything, but nothing will ever be perfect (by deffinition perfection is imperfect as we ourselves (Human kind) are imperfect), there are a lot of things wrong with this world, maily people not knowing much about nothing and other people sticking with the culutral settings of the past, but then people will always be the same.
nopaniers
I'm Australian, and our constitution isn't the world's most thrilling document. I would have an elected head of state much like Ireland (who holds a largely ceremonial role), and include a bill of rights along the lines of the Universal Declaration of Human rights which could not be violated by any government.

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/general/constitution/
baldheadedgames
I would change the way the president is elected and make the final vote be couted by popularity not number of electoral votes, as in Bush would be out of the government once and for all, and Bill Clinton should be brought back, under Clinton, the government was very economically well, it was the first time the National Budget had been balanced in about 50 years. That or surrender to Canada, that be good too. Cool
mschnell
If I weren't afraid of being cold I'd definitely concider moving to Canada someday. Are there warm areas in Canada?
Scaramanga
mschnell wrote:
Are there warm areas in Canada?

Places that have central heating. Very Happy

Also, I don't think changing the Constitution seems to have much effect these days, so no I wouldn't change anything. Apparently the executive branch thinks it can enact whatever they want, seperation of powers/Constitution be damned.
baldheadedgames
Scaramanga wrote:
mschnell wrote:

Also, I don't think changing the Constitution seems to have much effect these days, so no I wouldn't change anything. Apparently the executive branch thinks it can enact whatever they want, seperation of powers/Constitution be damned.

I agree, some of the things they'd done lately have really ticked me off. I'd could have made a difference in this world and gotten away with it too if it wasn't for this meddling executive branch. Laughing . But seriously, the people should have more power and the government less, but the only way that's gonna happen is to educate the people, it's no good giving people powers if they can't make intelectual decisions for themselves instead of voting just because of what the people say not what they do.
Vrythramax
baldheadedgames wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:
mschnell wrote:

I agree, some of the things they'd done lately have really ticked me off. I'd could have made a difference in this world and gotten away with it too if it wasn't for this meddling executive branch. Laughing . But seriously, the people should have more power and the government less, but the only way that's gonna happen is to educate the people, it's no good giving people powers if they can't make intelectual decisions for themselves instead of voting just because of what the people say not what they do.

I have to agree with all of you. I believe in educating people about what thier rights truly are, and when/how certain rights apply or should be used, but I don't think it's actually going to empower the masses to any real degree as I don't believe the government will ever give up any kind of real power they currently have, or may come thier way in the future. As was pointed out, they (the government) feel they can enact just about anything they want as it stands now, keep information about what they are doing from the public (usually calling it "a matter of National Security"), and pass things into law right under our noses. If we try to have any law repealed it would take years...cost God knows much money...and in the meantime the government will keep right on doing whatever it was they wanted to do in the first place, continue rolling right over us, and making us pay for it all with our tax dollars!

It used to be when we voted we would vote for the best man (or woman) for the job...now we have to vote for who will screw us the least.

Don't misunderstand me, I love America and I am proud to be an American, I'm just not terribly fond of the current strain (kinda like a virus) of politicians that are pulling the strings right now.
baldheadedgames
Vrythramax wrote:
baldheadedgames wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:
mschnell wrote:

I have to agree with all of you. I believe in educating people about what thier rights truly are, and when/how certain rights apply or should be used, but I don't think it's actually going to empower the masses to any real degree as I don't believe the government will ever give up any kind of real power they currently have, or may come thier way in the future. As was pointed out, they (the government) feel they can enact just about anything they want as it stands now, keep information about what they are doing from the public (usually calling it "a matter of National Security"), and pass things into law right under our noses. If we try to have any law repealed it would take years...cost God knows much money...and in the meantime the government will keep right on doing whatever it was they wanted to do in the first place, continue rolling right over us, and making us pay for it all with our tax dollars!

It used to be when we voted we would vote for the best man (or woman) for the job...now we have to vote for who will screw us the least.

Don't misunderstand me, I love America and I am proud to be an American, I'm just not terribly fond of the current strain (kinda like a virus) of politicians that are pulling the strings right now.

The reason people voted for what the best man (or at least who they thought was the best man) was because they had no television to base their desisions on appearances, the only way most people knew about the people running for presidents was because of radio, most people knew nothing about what their president looked like. With the invention of television, people started basing their decisions on appearances, which is why we had some pretty bad president's in the past, and some president's started taking advantage of this new technology.

The truth is that there is no way of knowing if the candidate will actually do what he promised, it's a matter of fate, but we can start making decisions by using more intellectual methoods and see what the people actually promise and now how they dress or what they look like.
simpleHalakhah
There's another reason that people don't think: They haven't been taught how easy it is.

In our contemporary culture, people generally see two options. Either one thinks that arguments and positions can be proven (is a modernist, anti-deconstructionist, etc.) or thinks that all proven arguments are simply conclusions based on both stacked premises and word associations that are presented as logical arguemts (a la Wittgenstein) and simply goes with relativism.

If all people realised that all positions are valuable for their insights and true that degree, and that in spite of our varied personalities (risk taker, conservative, etc.) we can all acknoweldge and incorporate all the human insights into our positions - differently than each other because of our personalities - we would have a society of wiser people.
myrevolt
also I'd like to add the labels used. republican, democratic, etc. not only do stereotypes occur but furthermore people restrict themselves to the "viewpoint" of a pariticular group. also they may agree with some points but not others but still are "forced" to vote for one party. Political parties are bad news for individual rights...
thiamshui
rewrite all the rules.. there are so many rulings here and there, restricting ppl's creativity.. how to get people to be creative and value-add our products and services?