FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Brett Tabke's website tutorial

Bondings
If you really want to know how to make a website. Here is the ultimate guide written by the founder of the most popular webmaster's forum.
It's old, but ever so up to date ... Very Happy
Every serious webmaster should read this.
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum10003/2010.htm
http://www.searchengineworld.com/misc/guide.htm

Edit: this is getting old, although some things are still interesting.
Gerardus™
Rolling Eyes Hi, i'm kinda noobie on this front, but eager to learn.
A site with 100 pages to start with.. Is that including pages in forums?
Or does it have to be like 100 pages with written content about my product? So many sites are giving advise, but most of them are not really helpful, i even submitted my site to wrong searchengines with that..
What the article said about the forums is also true, the more you read the more you learn, so that's why i put my question here, maybe i should have posted it in another forum, but i thought it's related to this article, so why not here?
And how about frames on a site, cuz i usually use frames on my sites, but maybe it's better to make serperate pages with lots of the same links?
My last question for now is about the page size.
As low as possible but between 5 and 10k, i assume this means the html or php files, but how about the pictures? I understand the less the better? and do i have to count them in with the page? eg.The indexfile is 4kb and the pics on that page are 20kb all together, so does it means my page is 24kb or still 4?
Can you please answer these questions? Question
Bondings
Gerardus™ wrote:
maybe i should have posted it in another forum, but i thought it's related to this article, so why not here?

It's certainly the right place to ask your questions. I'll try to answer them as good as possible. Wink

Quote:
A site with 100 pages to start with.. Is that including pages in forums?

First of all, this guide is made for people who want to build a real, popular and thus big website in order to get a lot of visitors from google. If your website is just personal or for your friends, then you do not need to optimize it at all, make it as good-looking as possible for them.
The 100 pages are good, pure and unique content, not forum pages like the ones on Frihost. With only a few exceptions for rare searches(like computer error codes, ...), forum pages won't get a lot of traffic from google and other search engines.
The idea behind a lot of pages is that it will get a lot of links to all of them after a while. If you get 4 visitors a day per page, that makes 400 visitors to your website. And with a good site, they will stay. If you only have 10 pages, it will only be 40.

Quote:
submitted my site to wrong searchengines

Leave that. Get a lot of links from other high-ranked pages and all search engines will find you. Their rankings are mostly based on links, so with a submit only, you won't get listed anyway except for unique words like typos. Wink
Put a link to your website in your signature on this and on other forums and they will find it for sure. Frihost was spidered just a few hours after I added it to all my signatures. If you submit it, you'll have to wait a few weeks.

Quote:
And how about frames on a site, cuz i usually use frames on my sites, but maybe it's better to make serperate pages with lots of the same links?

Avoid frames as much as possible. Of course, only on public pages with content, not the pages with login, ...
Instead of frames, use a php-include.
Code:
<? include("includes/header.php"); ?>

Quote:
My last question for now is about the page size.

Keep it as low as possible. 5-10KB is not really realistic for most websites, but it is possible. 24KB doesn't seem a lot to me, that's only 5-6 seconds loading time for an average dial-up user. (50% of the people)
Jack_Hammer
Thanks Bondings, now my eyes hurt...
Rolling Eyes

I just have probably a few questions about the guide,
Quote:
K) Logging and Tracking:

Get a quality logger/tracker that can do justice to inbound referrals based on log files (don't use a lame graphic counter - you need the real deal). If your host doesn't support referrers, then back up and get a new host. You can't run a modern site without full referrals available 24x7x365 in real time.

I was wondering whether Frihost does similar monitoring itself, or if it allows third party monitering, and Also a little question about PHP, using frames you can have a banner at the top all the time even when half way down a page, but how could you do that with PHP, also I know you can insert part of a page using PHP, like
Code:
<?PHP include("page.html"); ?>

but could you do something similar for a side panel (with main direction buttons and links etc.) thank you for your patiance bondings, please get back to me.
Smile [/quote]
Bondings
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Thanks Bondings, now my eyes hurt...
Rolling Eyes

I just have probably a few questions about the guide,
Quote:
K) Logging and Tracking:

Get a quality logger/tracker that can do justice to inbound referrals based on log files (don't use a lame graphic counter - you need the real deal). If your host doesn't support referrers, then back up and get a new host. You can't run a modern site without full referrals available 24x7x365 in real time.

I was wondering whether Frihost does similar monitoring itself, or if it allows third party monitering, and Also a little question about PHP, using frames you can have a banner at the top all the time even when half way down a page, but how could you do that with PHP, also I know you can insert part of a page using PHP, like
Code:
<?PHP include("page.html"); ?>

but could you do something similar for a side panel (with main direction buttons and links etc.) thank you for your patiance bondings, please get back to me.
Smile
[/quote]
Yes, we do provide stats. If you want to use them, go to your cpanel --> web/ftp stats --> awstats --> click on the update --> wait a long time --> you'll see your stats

About php, you can include everything you want by using that code.
<? include ("side-panel.php"); ?> with side-panel.php the code of your side-panel.
Jack_Hammer
Thanks bondings, I have learnt a lot from that tutorial, and I wouldn't of found it on my own.
Rolling Eyes
Jammydodger
Tip top info, thanks. Laughing
asiddle423
another tool to use instead of frames is tables

tables are good way to set your site layout

thx asiddle423
shabda
Wow Bondings. Amazing tutorial. However I had a concern, isnt posting it here copyright infringement? Just curious. I am aware that you too are very concerned bout copyright, so probably you took care of it.
srijit
that is a very nice and informative tutorial. i had read it earlier but it was good to read it again.
technotrix
Very Happy Nice Post !!! Keep the good work Very Happy
Very helpfull indeed !
Thnx
DoctorBeaver
What have SOs got against Js? I've got things like date/time in the header, tip of the day, various fun features like a love calculator & horoscope, and lots of other Js bits & pieces. Even my menu system is Js so I don't have to update the menu on every page when I add/delete pages.
Also, I've also got a right panel frame for some links. I want to be able to regularly update those so a frame seemed the obvious solution for the same reason I use a Js menu system. Does this mean I have to ditch that & learn PHP? I've only just got the hang of HTML & CSS! Confused
kieranleighton
nice tut
Scorpio
kieranleighton wrote:
nice tut

even better spam Mad
rajhank
so, i have a very different question, how can we make our thread Sticky or Official, is the permission with u bondings or anyone can do this.
Scorpio
You, on your own CANNOT make a sticky or something

But if the mods or admins find that your thread is useful for the members and is important, then they may change it into a sticky

But otherwise, you cant just ask them to change it
budazz
this is very helpfull..nice work i will read it to get more tips
Roald
Very interesting. Now I will reread it 5 times and then I'll now it by heart Very Happy
urangkayo
thanks for sharing this info

it's very interesting and will helpfull

thanks...
point4design
I have referred to this article several times. Although it is somewhat dated, it is still as applicable today as when it was written. Thanks for sharing.
Teragonto
A good logger would be the Power Logger 2 by powerwd.com. The logger is editable and only needs 3 file. You just need to keep the copyright intact.
superk
thanks for the tut.. I'm a total noob. Have created a website using flash (swish) http://www.karmastudios.frih.net/ and submitted to Google about 3 months ago. Still not listed. I think I need to follow the advice on this tut and start linking to other websites and get other websites to link back.
hilander
Quote:
I) Put it Online:

Don't go with virtual hosting - go with a stand alone IP.
Make sure the site is "crawlable" by a spider. All pages should be linked to more than one other page on your site, and not more than 2 levels deep from root. Link the topic vertically as much as possible back to root. A menu that is present on every page should link to your sites main "topic index" pages (the doorways and logical navigation system down into real content).
Don't put it online before you have a quality site to put online. It's worse to put a "nothing" site online, than no site at all. You want it flushed out from the start.

Go for a listing in the ODP. If you have the budget, then submit to Looksmart and Yahoo. If you don't have the budget, then try for a freebie on Yahoo (don't hold your breath).

thank you,,Mr Bondigns,,nice tutorial. I am concerned about publishing my site...My problem is that I am planning to use oscommerce to build my site,,and it needs to be uploaded first,,Which means it is published being "nothing"...The page will be published being nothing...and that concerns me,,because one of your points advices to not publish a site that is not optimized..Now,,my question is: Is there a way to upload oscommerce, then build the page,,then optimized it,,and then publish it ?? I hope I am being understood...I would be glad for any advice on this...
TribalArt
Pretty nice tipd there.

Do you recommend the use of scripts on web pages including polls, surveys, mini forum, 'shout box', guestbook?

Will they help a website or hinder it in Google?
sambhav
This seems very helpful. I will surely follow the steps for my upcoming website.
secondeye
weeee, its give a lot of intellectual things to me to add me site for link exchange and if i have a budget then i should place it on yahoo and other big search engines,

Well i want to know how SEo Works, i used to listen from many friens over net that SEO helps a lot in generating traffic. Well this article help me alot in my different ways, thanks.
SlowWalkere
Bondings wrote:
Put a link to your website in your signature on this and on other forums and they will find it for sure. Frihost was spidered just a few hours after I added it to all my signatures. If you submit it, you'll have to wait a few weeks.

Just a note for anyone who's reading this tutorial and thread a bit late...

Adding a link in your signature won't help you get indexed anymore (if I understand it correctly). The new standard is to use "rel=nofollow" in links in forum posts, blog comments, etc - anywhere that a user can go to easily self-promote his site. I just checked, and links in Frihost posts use this.

The standard was introduced to discourage people from spamming forums and blog comment sections just to include links and improve their page ranking.

It may still be a good idea to add a link to your sig, since other Frihost users may want to check out your site, but Google won't follow the link anymore.

- Walkere
Text-Bears
I know this post may sound irrelavent... but i have one question.
Is Fri host hosting good? I've been searching for free hosts for some time and by chance stumbled on here. From what I read it sounds pretty good, but I just want to ask you if the quality is good and what are the chances of downtime. Also, is there image uploading here?
thejam
great stuff! super usefull!!
deanhills
Thanks for the Sticky on Website Design. It is advice that can never age. I learned a few new tricks and this time round am going to use the stats tools in control panel to track traffic. I am planning on a personal Website, so my needs are pretty simple, but nonetheless the tutorial served to confirm my motto with the Website at work to keep the design and content as simple as possible.

Bottomline of course is also that you cannot just design and publish a Website and leave it on its own for long periods of time. Like plants and people, it needs to be fiddled and tinkered with, edited, upgraded, linked and connected to stay alive. Otherwise it becomes like weathered wood, shrivels and dies. Smile
speeDemon
Excuse me.... but i didnt really understand that where i should post this..

I made a website and uploaded it on 6th july... http://www.adizonetutorials.com
I applied for google, yahoo, msn search engines.. ( ya i know they automatically detect it, but still i applied..)

And till today my website's ouwn induvidual name doesnt appear.. i.e. I does show the name in Frihost's directory when u search for it on google.com, but it doesent show a different Banner saying "Adi Zone Tutorials.com"
Blah blah bla... -- afsdf etc."

Its already been like abt 2 months now.. wht should I do?? Can Frihost help me out??
PLease do reply..!
truespeed
speeDemon wrote:
Excuse me.... but i didnt really understand that where i should post this..

I made a website and uploaded it on 6th july... http://www.adizonetutorials.com
I applied for google, yahoo, msn search engines.. ( ya i know they automatically detect it, but still i applied..)

And till today my website's ouwn induvidual name doesnt appear.. i.e. I does show the name in Frihost's directory when u search for it on google.com, but it doesent show a different Banner saying "Adi Zone Tutorials.com"
Blah blah bla... -- afsdf etc."

Its already been like abt 2 months now.. wht should I do?? Can Frihost help me out??
PLease do reply..!

Your .com address re-directs to the frihost.net address?
speeDemon
Quote:
Your .com address re-directs to the frihost.net address?

Yes, i used C-pannel for redirecting it to adizone.frihost.net
Wht shud i do?
truespeed
If you own the dot com address why not just set your name servers to that.
speeDemon
Well, lets just say, tht i dont know how too>... Evil or Very Mad
smasha
Thanks for posting this, its very encouraging and realistic.
riccopt
the tutorial is a really nice read... but it is completely out dated... and waiting 1 year to make money with a site is way too long!!
Fitz5
Great tutorial - very informative. Although I already knew some of these points, I learned a few things which should come in handy. Smile
deanhills
Probably one of the most valuabe threads to dig up. How to work on getting traffic to your site. Like the Bible of SEO (pardon the pun Wink )

Successful Site in 12 Months with Google Alone
26 steps to 15k a day
by Brett Tabke

Dig a little deeper and Brett Tabke, the author is regarded by many as a Guru of SEO. Fast forward to 2014 and here's a very insightful interview with Brett Tabke on the future of Google Search and the decline of the Internet:

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/01/27/brett-tabke-interview