FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To submit or not to engines

vignesh_natraj
I have been reading a lot of SEO articles in the past week.
Some articles suggest that it is better to let search engines find you site rather than submitting to SE
while some other articles suggest that it is important to submit to search engines once you update your content.i am confused Exclamation Question
SoftStag
I don't think it matters too much. With Google, it takes time for them to to put your site in their index after spidering your site. If they can't find it except from a submission, then I don't think it will ever appear in the search results. Submitting may give the process a kick start though, and I definately think that Google Sitemaps help.
Dragonfly
I have not submitted to any search engines but I came to know that they all indexed my pages and visitors are reaching those pages through search engines. So, submitting hardly matters.

But if you have to do it, instead of submitting to google I suggest you to submit to dmoz, it covers google as well as others.

If you are completely ready with your contents, it doesn't matter even if you submit also. What matters more is your site. Even though you submit to the engines if the site is not worth indexing, they will only leave you, not indexing your site contents.

Its upto you.
Bondings
Dragonfly wrote:
But if you have to do it, instead of submitting to google I suggest you to submit to dmoz, it covers google as well as others.

Dmoz is a directory and not a search engine. It is actually the most popular free directory and getting listed in it will mean a lot for your website.
manumiglani
well,

you should submit your website to search engines.

well, according to me you only need to submit your website to three search engines i.e. google, msn and yahoo. your website rankings are independent of this thing that weather they found your website or you submit your website to them.

and also do submit your website to dmoz and yahoo directory. it will really help your website's rankings at search engines.
manumiglani
Bondings wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:

Dmoz is a directory and not a search engine. It is actually the most popular free directory and getting listed in it will mean a lot for your website.

is Frihost listed at dmoz ?
n0obie4life
manumiglani wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:

is Frihost listed at dmoz ?

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=frihost

Smile
manumiglani
well http://fiscal.frihost.net/ is listed there i think.
kcarring
Submitting to search engines is not that important. What is, however, very important is getting quality - one-way backlinks. Once you have a fair number of those - the search engines will find you ANYWAY. In fact in most cases - you can get a new domain registered at the major search engines FASTER this way! Want to turbocharge your site in YAHOO? Heres how: Create a Blog (Blogger.com works well). In your Blog make a link to your new domain. Set your Blog to provide RSS feeds. Get that feed address (usually is an .xml document). Create a MyYahoo page. Add the feed to your new MyYahoo list of feeds. Once you have created a post (and for other peoples sake, do create more than a "link", create an actually "press release" type article announcing your site...), then visit a Blog "pinging" site like http://www.pingomatic.com and "ping your blog" (especially making sure Yahoo is pinged). Your new Blog will be listed in various "recently updated blogs" lists around the net. The chain reaction works like this - your MyYahoo page is scoured by the Yahoo webspider - it finds your new RSS feed to your new blog - it then finds your blog - and then finds your new domain, through your blog. Create a hyperlink right in the title of your blog, if possible! Works great - I have had new domains ranking at Yahoo in under 48 hours this way.

Cheers!
kcarring
A little more on DMOZ.ORG

This link is CRITICAL. Many people do not realize just how important it really is! Aside from Yahoo directory, DMOZ.ORG links are likely the most important links you'll have to your site. An exception would be a mission critical industry related link from one of your suppliers or vendors - however - beyond that - DMOZ.ORG links are HUGELY important! Google and Yahoo both hold these like the Holy Grail!

You'll notice most Top Ten sites have a Dmoz.org link! It is a means for Google and Yahoo to do "human quality control" without actually having to do it themselves! They know, if your website has been accepted into one of the Dmoz.org pages (or Yahoo Directory) - that a human has visited your site and considered it to be relevant for your topic. That is important to Google and Yahoo! It in turn, offers quality control to their results!

Remember always to have your website completely up to snuff, both mechanically and visually, before requesting a Dmoz.org link. Be very patient and do not "pester" the editors by "re-requesting". It could take up to 2 years to happen! BE PATIENT. Make sure there are no issues with your site and ALWAYS make sure your address, and contact information is VERY READILY available on your site. Many agree it should be at the bottom of your homepage even, because REMEMBER THIS: You only have one shot, a human is going to visit your page, and they won't waste much time looking for your physical street address, etc. The easier it is to find, the quicker they may deem you "for real". You could always re-locate your contact information, later, after you get your DMOZ link in place!

Good Luck!
manumiglani
kcarring wrote:
Submitting to search engines is not that important. What is, however, very important is getting quality - one-way backlinks. Once you have a fair number of those - the search engines will find you ANYWAY. In fact in most cases - you can get a new domain registered at the major search engines FASTER this way! Want to turbocharge your site in YAHOO? Heres how: Create a Blog (Blogger.com works well). In your Blog make a link to your new domain. Set your Blog to provide RSS feeds. Get that feed address (usually is an .xml document). Create a MyYahoo page. Add the feed to your new MyYahoo list of feeds. Once you have created a post (and for other peoples sake, do create more than a "link", create an actually "press release" type article announcing your site...), then visit a Blog "pinging" site like http://www.pingomatic.com and "ping your blog" (especially making sure Yahoo is pinged). Your new Blog will be listed in various "recently updated blogs" lists around the net. The chain reaction works like this - your MyYahoo page is scoured by the Yahoo webspider - it finds your new RSS feed to your new blog - it then finds your blog - and then finds your new domain, through your blog. Create a hyperlink right in the title of your blog, if possible! Works great - I have had new domains ranking at Yahoo in under 48 hours this way.

Cheers!

good technique. it works ?
Quote:

That is important to Google and Yahoo! It in turn, offers quality control to their results!

even msn is now using dmoz descriptions.
DoctorBeaver
kcarring - street address on a website? Isn't that just asking for trouble?

I've always followed the advice to keep personal details off the web wherever possible (obviously for a shop, restauarant, bar, etc. it has to be there).
kcarring
Well, you have good point. I think what I'm trying to say is, when A dmoz.org or Yahoo Editor looks at your homepage, and is deciding whether you were successful with your $299 fee (because this is not "guaranteed") or your 1 yr. wait at DMOZ.org - the last thing you want to do is appear to be "fly by night". Having said that, a full postal address would likely be suffice.
kcarring
manum:

Yes it does work... however I think, not as well as it used to. All things said, I've never waited longer than 12 days for MSN, 14 days for Yahoo or 1 month for Google. A new method (soon to be released) will be putting a link on your new "Googlepage". I'm sure this will work well too, because Google has already announced they'll be spidering Googlepages daily.