FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HELP! My PC shuts down unexpectedly!

meaniegeanies
My PC shuts down unexpectedly!

Well, not so unexpectedly. It does that when I try to encode large music files, DVD, deep registry scanning and so on. I have an Intel P4 PC @3000Hz, 768MB RAM pc2700. Another strange thing I mentioned is that the floppy led is always on. Anybody??? Question Question Question
mj_loc_nl
meaniegeanies wrote:

Well, not so unexpectedly. It does that when I try to encode large music files, DVD, deep registry scanning and so on. I have an Intel P4 PC @3000Hz, 768MB RAM pc2700. Another strange thing I mentioned is that the floppy led is always on. Anybody??? Question Question Question

Reboot and no error message? What kind of OS do you use? Have you tried to change your memory with the memory of a other workstation? IT could be a memory alocation problem.... If this is not the case try to install the OS again.
nuikku
I would start check IDE cables and memory chips, relase them and press back.Check also your fans (when pc is turned on =p) Then you can test it and cross your fingers.
When Pc rebooted, did it peep different ? like peep peep peep ? Have you installed new components lately?
pcguruservices.com
meaniegeanies wrote:

if you are using windows xp: right-click on my computer, go to properties, Advanced tab, startup and recovery settings, under system failure UNCHECK automatically restart.

Next time it crashes, it might show a blue screen with white writing that might have some info as to what happened.
SoftStag
pcguruservices.com wrote:
meaniegeanies wrote:

if you are using windows xp: right-click on my computer, go to properties, Advanced tab, startup and recovery settings, under system failure UNCHECK automatically restart.

Next time it crashes, it might show a blue screen with white writing that might have some info as to what happened.

This is good advice. I would suspect that it may be an overheating problem if it shuts down rather than reboots. The PC is operating under load when the problem occurs. I would check the CPU temp when you are doing something like this, it could be your fans are not working properly or there is poor ventelation to the CPU heatsink.
AffroThund3r
Check that the IDE cable is the right way around on the floppy drive. If its not it will lead to the light always being on.

This is something that I have done on a number of occasions!! Smile
pcguruservices.com
SoftStag wrote:
pcguruservices.com wrote:
meaniegeanies wrote:

This is good advice. I would suspect that it may be an overheating problem if it shuts down rather than reboots. The PC is operating under load when the problem occurs. I would check the CPU temp when you are doing something like this, it could be your fans are not working properly or there is poor ventelation to the CPU heatsink.

i definitely agree with this. I would say that if you dont find any error messages, then it is probably overheating. It could also be a power related issue.

You might also try checking the system logs. Depending on your OS... control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. Check there for errors.
Xeniczone
it does sound like a OS error and something goes wrong in the os.

Are you using windows XP have you tried a virus scan or different software. Windows tends to crash on just about everything so it is hard to find a source of the problem.
Blaster
It may also be that your system stand bys when you are doing this. Does it also do this when you are not at the computer for a certain time.

Right click
    go to properties
    screen saver
    Power

And find it in there. I don't think this is it. But you don't wont to look over the ovious.
haris3
When i first built my computer my self, i bought all the components and put em together. I had p4 3.4 512mb. The case i was using was not sufficient for p4 3.4ghz. The processor fan was extremely loud under high load. It also sometimes restarted. I had to buy a new case which was p4 3.4 compatible. It was still loud. IT was loud because of the processor fan i was using, which came with the Intel processor. Then i bought a dell case along with a dell processor fan. Now it is always quiet. I love it. Never had a problem. Hope this helps.
slawek
maybe you should check your power supply - besause your CPU could use more power than Your power supply can give to it.Try to re-install windows - or install another operationg system to check if the problems reason isn't your software. You can try to use some linux Live-Cd Distrbutions like Knoppix. Cool