FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need help to setup a small network

Diebels
Hi, a friend ask me to setup a small network for a little callcenter.
How do i set it up? The idea is to use a fast 16MB ADSL line for VoiP. I like to install about 6-8 pc to this line. Where to start? How to set it up? Router etc

please respond, all help is precheated

Diebels
Animal
The easiest thing to do is to buy an ADSL 2+ Modem Router and connect it to your telephone line. There are several models available - I personally use Netgear hardware which is easy to use and set up.

(Have a look here for an example - obviously, the equipment may be different in your country, and your choice will depend on the number of ethernet ports on the router - you need one port per PC)

You then connect all your PCs to the router using straight Ethernet Cables (Crossover cables will not work). You then open a web browser and type http://192.168.0.1 and enter the administrator username and password (details given in your manual). You can then set up all your ADSL settings to create the connection.

The router automatically assigns an IP address to each connected computer, but you can configure Windows to use a specific IP address by disabling DHCP. If you do this, you'll need to know your DNS server addresses.

The setup is fairly easy, the main issue will be the use of a lot of cable, making sure you don't trip over it! Since you want to use the connection with VoIP Calling, I strongly recommend that you use a wired network as opposed to a wireless network since the network "congestion" caused by 8 PCs on a wireless network could lead to dropped connections and poor quality.

I hope this is some help to you - feel free to PM me or post here again if you need some more specific advice.

Very Happy
Diebels
Thanks a lot for the explanation...
I´m going to do it this way. If i run in to some problems i´ll pm you for further assitance

thanks again
diebels Smile
AffroThund3r
I've got a network at home to share my broadband connection.

The two PCs can access the internet, but they cannot see each other and share files, anyone any ideas why this may be?

Both running XP and both on the same workgroup

Thanks
Animal
AffroThund3r wrote:

The two PCs can access the internet, but they cannot see each other and share files, anyone any ideas why this may be?

You need to enable "File and Printer Sharing" - to do this, open "Network Connections" via your control panel, right-click on your network connection and hi properties. You should then put a checkmark next to "File and Printer Sharing."

After that, you could either enter the computer's name or IP address to access it. To do this, open any folder in windows and in the Address Bar (you may have to enable this) type either of the following:

\\COMPUTER_NAME (obviously, substitute the computer's name, but the two "\" are very important)
\\192.168.0.4 (again, the actual computer's IP address is required - this is the LAN IP rather than your internet IP address)

Let me know if you need more help.
chockybiky
AffroThund3r wrote:

Thanks

the above advice is sound. Also make sure any personal firewalls, including the built in one on XP, are allowing file and print sharing. This is often overlooked. Refer to the providers support sites or here for help with a specific firewall.
jimmy5450
chockybiky wrote:
AffroThund3r wrote:

Thanks

the above advice is sound. Also make sure any personal firewalls, including the built in one on XP, are allowing file and print sharing. This is often overlooked. Refer to the providers support sites or here for help with a specific firewall.

Yes very good point, if you dont enable it and set up your firewall it will be a pain to connect.
AffroThund3r
Thank you very much for the help, I didn't have the file and printer sharing set up in the Windows Firewall on my machine!!

Thanks again

Aff