FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hosting your own website

Would you host your own website?
I already do
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
I want to but I don't know how
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Yes I might (and I know how)
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
No I wouldn't
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Absolutely not!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

wormhole.v2
Would you (or do you) host your own website?

And do you feel it's working well?

The main issues to hosting your own website are the following:

1. Speed: Since most people's broadband internet connections have a maximum upload speed of 128kb/s or 256kb/s that will be the fastest anyone will be able to browse your site.

2. Security: Hosting your own website is kind of like opening a door to your computer. Although most server applications (Microsoft IIS or Apache) are quite secure, you never know what a determined hacker could try to put through that open door.

3. Reliability: This is usually what attracts people to hosting their own website. Since you're in control of everything, you have no limits, you can easily fix anything that might go wrong, and add or remove any features you need or don't.

Please tell me what you think on this matter.
Thanks
xorcist
I was thinking about that and getting awhole seperate computer and host my website but then again I was thinking about hosting opening a host and make money off of theat but I just wanted to know how much power it will be taking up if I have my computer on 24/7.
Vrythramax
I have Apache installed locally but not so much to put any website(s) online but for testing of websites. I have in the past used dynamic dns hosting for a personal ftp server, and still use it for my own mail server (which works out quite well), but not for web hosting.

As long as you have the bandwidth tho, it should work out just fine. Kepp security in mind tho, you run any number of risks opening up certain ports on your machine.
Blaster
I plane old don't feel like running it or learning it. If i get more advanced i might. I would probley just have a friend do it for me though. I'm lazy like that.
xray757
I thought about it, but the fact that the computer would have to run 24/7 scared me off.
But in the past I did this stuff with a dynamic dns and ftp-server as well.
Blaster
xray757 wrote:
I thought about it, but the fact that the computer would have to run 24/7 scared me off.

Why would this scare you. Is it the bill for electric or is it that you feel it would crash?
I leave my computer on 24/7 and have know problems.
Jeslyn
I'd purchase a reseller domain and host whatever sites I wanted to from there. I know that wasn't the hosting you were speaking of, but it seems simpler, without the security hassles.
statusfashions
i already host my site on frihost!!!!!
thats what most of the users are here for ????
mathiaus
If I could then this is something I would really ylike to do. Though currently I can't afford another PC to host it on and I think my mum and dad would kill me after getting the next electric bill Sad
psycosquirrel
I run a dedicated CS server. I stopped using it though, when my stupid ISP got pissed and suspended our service for violation of their Terms of Service. Apparently servers are against their TOS... I would not host a webserver though, because that 128 kb/s (or less for me) upload speed would have to be shared by everyone accessing the site. I'm just gonna use Frihost, because they rule Very Happy
DJHicks
i have loads of sites - its crazy!

have made plenty for other people too!
Liu
I host my own website via Apache on my own computer, and I used to run a 24/7 counter-strike server also -- but I shut it down after 1.5 became obsolete.

My Speed isn't an issue since i'm on a T3 line provided by my University.

statusfashions wrote:

i already host my site on frihost!!!!!
thats what most of the users are here for ????

Then you don't host your own website. Frihost does.
thiamshui
hosting by myself would mean my computer would have to be on 24/7.. which is juz impossible.. electricity bills and stuff..
xray757
Blaster wrote:
xray757 wrote:

Why would this scare you. Is it the bill for electric or is it that you feel it would crash?
I leave my computer on 24/7 and have know problems.

It's a bit of both.
And the fact that psycosquirrel mentioned as well, because I have as well only 16kb uploa.
Mithrandir
I love hosting my own website and particpating in my forums as the chief admin. It build character and gives a good sense of responsibility. I really enjoy the interactivity it brings. I've never had much trouble but I've had a site in one form or another for six years.
odiumxp
At least when you host your own website, you have no limits. And you can install what ever you want, you can work right off the server with, terminal services or someother client. It has really sped things up for me, I think you can run almost anything on my server, the only downfall is paying for the connection fee for a fiber backbone, you do not want to run low on bandwidth it really slows things down. I am probaly going to start hosting a upload site for files, but all the spammers. I will see how things go. I will keep everyone up to date with things.