FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

canon 20d anybody?

bjwok
hi folks,

i am seriously thinking about getting a 'prosumer' digital slr and have been recommended the canon 20d. my question to the fri masses is:

does anybody have one?

are there any 'issues' i should know about first

are you happy with the canon 20d

and

should i spend my hard earned on one?

cheers in advance!
Tumbleweed
I have a 20d....and a sigma 18-200 DC lens......Its quick in respects of powering up and being ready to shoot , and pretty much does what it says on the tin......Personally I have no complaints with the camera apart from Canons default settings are a little "soft" and you need an external memory card reader to update the firmware
What I would consider is Lenses, my sigma lens is great when the light is good but does struggle when the light is poor this can be compensated if I want to lug the tripod around with me but thats not allways possible
As to spending your hard earned cash on one I say buy what fits your needs..........happy snapping

With this pic I am trying to show what I mean as soft....the insert is actuall size and has only lost a little detail being "saved for the web"

p.s i love/hate imageshack
bjwok
hey thanks tumbleweed,

just out of curiosity, how big (pixels) was the original image that you cropped yourself from?

and also does the canon 20d save in the raw format?
Tumbleweed
Hey bjwok
The size of the origional pic is 3504X2336 pixels (@72pix/inch) or 48X32 inches..... Its not me in the pic but the Canon 20D does have a self timer Razz
The 20D does capture in RAW format (.CR2) or in a combination or RAW & .jpg simultaniously, I myself tend to shoot mostly in HQ .jpg to save space on my memorycard but if I see a shot that I know I am going to want to edit I will switch to RAW because its much easier and you get better results adjusting colour temperature, hue, contrast, saturation, exposure,sharpness ect without losing any of the information contained in the file
Liu
I have a 20d... you can check out my photos taken with them here (sadly, i'm using the kit lens right now... ;_; , but i'm saving up for one of Canon's L series lens) -- earlier photos taken with the powershot a95:

http://pixeliuted.sytes.net

However, Canon just recently announced the 20d's replacement: 30d -- it's a little extra money with some new features, but in terms of image quality, it's still the same. Thus, you may want to wait a little longer for the new build and buy that one. Or wait until the price of the 20d goes down a little.

Many complain about the "softness" of the images, but personally I don't mind. Canon assumes that the user is experienced, and going to post process the image themselves, thus they leave out any in camera sharpening, and leave it shot how it is.

I personally always shoot in RAW because I love the control over my images.

Am I happy with my camera? Definitely. I just wish that I could see the changed ISO settings in the view finder (this is changed with the 30d).

However, if you're looking for superior image quality, you can spend less on the camera body (i.e. get a rebel xt), and use the extra money towards buying a good lens. Canon's L-series come to mind -- they're just unreal.
bjwok
hi guys and thanks for the info,

i have done a lot of research into it and i think i am about ready to buy!! (and liu, your photoblog sealed the deal - those pics are great! (nice looking site too, is that a template or something you created?)

i hear you about the lens, I still need to do a lot more research into that part, basically i am looking to shoot long distance with a little macro here and there, probably need something in the line of 20-70mm? however i may have this wrong? your thoughts would be appreciated...

i have read about the 30d and am thinking it doens't appear to be much more on the 20d so i think i will snap up (nice pun) a cheap 20d on ebay and get a decent lens with the money i would have put into the 30d

RAW seems the way to go...
Animal
No doubt about it, the Canon 20D is a nice camera. I've read a few reviews about the output being slightly soft however. I don't have one, so I can't positively confirm this though.

Have you also considered a Nikon D70s? I use one of these and it is excellent - the photo output is truly superb, even though it has a slightly lower output (6.2Megapixels as opposed to 8Megapixels I think). I think this is due to the lenses, as Nikon are widely regarded to have the best quality lenses available with DSLRs.

The prices are comparable, so before you buy, I'd recommend that you try out the Nikon alongside the Canon. I had the same dillema when I got my camera and when I tried the two out side-by-side, I decided on the Nikon. That said, no matter which model you go for, you'll get a great piece of kit!
Vrythramax
bjwok wrote:
i hear you about the lens, I still need to do a lot more research into that part, basically i am looking to shoot long distance with a little macro here and there, probably need something in the line of 20-70mm? however i may have this wrong? your thoughts would be appreciated...

I don't have much experience with digital cameras, but I do alot of standard SLR photography. I don't think you'll want any lense smaller than a 28mm, anything smaller is what's called a "fish eye" lense, it tends to curve the image at the sides... if that's the effect your looking for cool, but if not just keep it above 28mm and you'll be fine. The lense you might be best off with for all-around photography is a 35-70mm, it's great for headshots and some macro, and also for some distance photography as well.

Just my 2 cents worth....hope it helps.
Liu
bjwok wrote:

20-70mm is a good standard zoom lens -- also, the 20d has a 1.6x crop factor which tends to help with preventing the fisheye effect.
charredii
don't go canon, nikon can be much better if you're gonna be serious. definitely look at nikon though!
IceCameron
Hahahaha "nikon iff you want to be serious" - wtf?
You can NOT say that. They are two companys going in completely differnt directions: Nikon are not going digi FullFrame but Canon are. So i would actually say go Canon iff you're going serious.

Back to the point.
Canon 20D is a GREAT camera.
The softness issue is an issue for people who dont do research. It is caused by a special filter placed on the image sensor to reduce noise. They advise people to use unsharp mask at about 300% and 3radius.

Nikon D70s is a hard contender.

And that about the lenses being better at nikon than canon.. People also say canons are better than nikons. Either way you wont see the difference until examining every pixel at 200% zoom in photoshop (top of the range lenses)