FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

change the WHM skeleton

gonzo
Please consider changing the skeleton to set FrontPage off by default. It creates needless clutter to newbies by default who mayn't know they can delete the cryptic directories. FP people would still be able to enable it for themselves because they would immediately notice that FP extensions were not installed when they first FTP'd in
Bockman
this is a very good suggestion. since people use severall other opstions do FP (like me). I would like to know wich files may i DEL from my account since FP was not my choice.

Be Well Cool
mOrpheuS
I'm not sure of it, but I think that even if you can uninstall frontpage extensions from your account, it leaves behind a few files in your home/public_html directory which would not have been there had frontpage extensions not been enabled in the begining.
I have observed files with names .htacess.xxxxxxxx are present only when the frontpage extensions are disabled at a latter point of time.
(here "xxxxxxxx" would be a number)
ie., these files are not there in a totally frontpage free cPanel account.

so delete these files after disabling frontpage extensions in cPanel, & your account is clean again.
as though frontpage extensions were never there...
Wink
Bockman
thank you mOrpheuS, i will try that when i have access to cPanel (@ work with Microsoft ISA... ports blocked)

Be Well Cool
mOrpheuS
Bockman wrote:
@ work with Microsoft ISA... ports blocked

Why not use a cgi proxy to access cPanel.
I use it all the time @ work Cool
google for this string "inurl:nph-proxy.cgi" and find out a live proxy (which are rare, though)
this is a good one http://www.kniff.de/cgi-bin/cgiproxy/nph-proxy.cgi

By the way...these are the results of a quick diff on my account after installing & uninstalling frontpage extensions -
  • 1st environment - no frontpage
  • 2nd environment - frontpage extensions installed
    additional files - All files & folders named like _vti_xxxx, _private folder, postinfo.html.
  • 3rd environment - frontpage extensions uninstalled
    additional files - All files named .htaccess.xxxxxxxx (but NOT the .htaccess itself)

So I think deleting files listed in 2nd & 3rd environments is safe, if they are not removed even upon uninstalling frontpage extensions from the cPanel.
Wink
Helios
So you say that if i donīt want to use frontpage(and i donīt) i can disable it.
hmm.. but i didnīt understand the part with those files..

what should I do to clean my account?? i donīt want frontpage and useless files/dirs...
Bockman
mOrpheuS wrote:
Bockman wrote:
@ work with Microsoft ISA... ports blocked

Why not use a cgi proxy to access cPanel.
I use it all the time @ work Cool
google for this string "inurl:nph-proxy.cgi" and find out a live proxy (which are rare, though)
this is a good one http://www.kniff.de/cgi-bin/cgiproxy/nph-proxy.cgi

Because my good IT Team at work also installed websense and it blocks all proxyes... i've been trying to bypass it but no luck yet.. i will try a few others thouyh

Be Well Cool
gonzo
step1

Open Cpanel for your account. Usually append "/cpanel" or ":2082". If you don't understand this see the FAQ section of this board. From here

click the bottom right icon "Front Page"

you'll then have a page SIMILAR to the next screen. I'm not going to toggle front page back on and lose my settings to make a better screenshot. Perhaps one of you will volunteer one?

When it now says "install frontpage" yours will say something synonymous with "remove frontpage". Click it. Wait. Now the only remnant in your /public_html will be .htaccess* Cpanel automatically backs up .htaccess when IT makes changes to the file. You may safely delete it -- DO NOT if you have previously made MANUAL changes to .htaccess. You'll need to extract them because your new .htaccess has only been touched (created empty).
mOrpheuS
@ gonzo,
Please explain that bit about "extracting" the .htaccess files and I think this post is good enough to be moved to the "Scripting & tutorials" category.

I'm sure this will be helpful to many people (novice or lazy)
because I don't think frontpage is used by that many.

what say ?
Wink