FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Polls;

Points for votes?
Yes, I think you should get some points for voting
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No, I don't think you should get any for voting
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Jack_Hammer
I was thinking that if you got say a point per poll you voted in or even half a point peopel would be more inclined to vote (as I have set up polls before and few people answer), though here might be some mad voters out there that do it just to get points. Well it's your descion right?
Animal
I think this is a valid suggestion actually - voting in a poll is taking part in the community. The only problem is that people would set up several polls and vote in them all in an attempt to cheat the system, and we would definately see an overall increase in the use of polls whether it adds to the discussions or not.

Like I said, it's a good idea, but the potential for abuse would probably make it unworkable.
Jack_Hammer
Animal wrote:
I think this is a valid suggestion actually - voting in a poll is taking part in the community. The only problem is that people would set up several polls and vote in them all in an attempt to cheat the system, and we would definately see an overall increase in the use of polls whether it adds to the discussions or not.

Like I said, it's a good idea, but the potential for abuse would probably make it unworkable.

What about not getting points for polling in yout own poll?
Animal
Jack_Hammer wrote:
What about not getting points for polling in yout own poll?

I suppose that would work... not entirely sure if it would be possible to implement though. In order to do that, you're setting coonditions on the distribution of points based on the username, but I have very little PHP experience so I wouldn't really know if it was possible.

Excellent suggestion though.
Jack_Hammer
It would certainly help with polls, lol. It's hard to judge peoples views if you only get a small percentage of what people think (those who vote because they want to) rather than lots of people that post their feelings rather than voting them.
n0obie4life
I don't really see the point for awarding points/FRIH$ for polls..
Jack_Hammer
n0obie4life wrote:

Whats the point for points/FriH$ for posting?
Wink

(Excluding the whole active thing)
SunburnedCactus
Jack_Hammer wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

Whats the point for points/FriH$ for posting?
Wink

(Excluding the whole active thing)

Excluding the whole point doesn't leave much of a point. "Depointing" the point you might say (if that was a real word)... Laughing
Nameless
I was actually going to suggest this myself today... (quite a co-incidence, no?)

I think people should get a small amount of frih/points for answering in a poll... say, .3 each. That way people have incentive for answering the poll, but it's still easier to get points for making a post. You should not get points for answering your own poll, but you should get some kind of a bonus for making one (eg, .2 points for each poll option).
Blaster
If you do it then you end up with posts like this one. http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-28024.html. Causes for more spam. And frihost isn't a place where you just spam as you feel like it.
broken2144
Many people will post to explain their vote. If you get a point for voting and posting, you have extra points (I guess I won't complain).

Then there's the people who will vote just for the points. They may not care about what they're voting for. With no incentive to vote, the poll will probably be more accurate, since only those who have an opinion will vote.

--RF
Jack_Hammer
broken2144 wrote:
Many people will post to explain their vote. If you get a point for voting and posting, you have extra points (I guess I won't complain).

Then there's the people who will vote just for the points. They may not care about what they're voting for. With no incentive to vote, the poll will probably be more accurate, since only those who have an opinion will vote.

--RF

I find people will explain via posting but often not vote. P.S The meanial points we are asking for voting is little so no-one would vote over spam as spamming you get a upto 3$.