FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Norman Mailer

mephisto73
For anyone who has not yet read this contemporary giant I would strongly recommend picking up one of his book, like for example "The naked and the dead" about the second world war in the pacific, or "the Patriot" about the life of a CIA operative. Another gem is the much overlooked "Gospel according to Jesus" which is a small masterpiece in my opinion.

Mailers clear crisp prose is very engrossing and one of few present day writers that can even approach the mastery of Dostojevski.
beetlejuice
I just got my hands on "An American Dream". Have you got anything to say about that? Maybe not the one to start with?
mephisto73
All his books I've read are very worthwhile, but as you said, maybe not the one to start with. I would maybe recommend "the Naked and the dead" to start with because it is such a very strong novel, and the subject topic is captivating (to me at least). Otherwise "Tough guys don't dance" is a safe bet.

I hope you enjoy!
Vrythramax
I lost all interest in him after he got Jack Henry Abbot out of jail (Abbot wrote "In the belly of the beast"), and he [Abbot] promptly killed another man, this time a waiter in a resturant who's only crime was to tell him [Abbot] the restrooms were out of order.