FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is free web hosting sustainable?

Do you think free webhosting is sustainable?
Yes
82%
 82%  [ 19 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Wynand

I have a query to make. Do you think free web hosting without ads on your site like the service that Frihost if offering is sustainable?

I am having problems trusting this kind of service. How dependable is it? This in the recent crash of server 2.

Please vote!
wumingsden
Wynand wrote:

I have a query to make. Do you think free web hosting without ads on your site like the service that Frihost if offering is sustainable?

I am having problems trusting this kind of service. How dependable is it? This in the recent crash of server 2.

Please vote!

I think it is. The complete Server 2 crash was just misfortunate, it could happen to any host, paid or not. Sure Server 2 does go down more than Server 1 (which is a little weird as Server 1 is full enough) but its just that way.
About trusting this kind of service. Is it because its free that you don't trust it? Just think at least your actually not going to lose any money even if it is a fake Very Happy No, but honestly, I have been in the FriHost community about five months and I've had my hosting account here about 3 months. I only joined up to the forum because I could see that it was a great community, not because of free hosting which came an added bonus.
If anybody has any doubts I would recommend joining the forum and then a couple of months later request hosting which is not always the case as lots of people are after free hosting.
I would rate the FriHost Service 9.5 out of 10, if Server 2's uptime was as much as Server 1 then I would have to rate it 10 out of 10.
Scorpio
Obviously it must be sustainable for the guys running this or else they might have pulled out of this venture long ago and started some other site.

The server crash was obviously unfortunate but certainly not a often happening phenomenon.

Lets jus pray they continue to have sites like this
Blaster
The way i see it is that if you were paying for a host you still have the likely hood that it can crash. It is just somthing servers do. Frihost is very reliable in there service. One of our mods or admins. (I forget who) Pointed out that frihost is more reliable and has a better service then most paid services. The answer by far is yes. Frihost is very dependent. From what I have herd from others is that when we got server 1 it had a big crash but after everything was situated we were fine. Just look at n0obies sig. Server 1 has been up for 40 some days with no problem. I hope you stay with frihost and don't leave this wonderful community. What other free hosting allows you to put your own ads on your site? So you can make money off of a free host. How much better can it get?

Image curtisy of n0obie4life

Edit: Hit refresh if you don't see server one. It may take more then one time.
shadedflame
Blaster wrote:
The way i see it is that if you were paying for a host you still have the likely hood that it can crash. It is just somthing servers do. Frihost is very reliable in there service. One of our mods or admins. (I forget who) Pointed out that frihost is more reliable and has a better service then most paid services. The answer by far is yes. Frihost is very dependent. From what I have herd from others is that when we got server 1 it had a big crash but after everything was situated we were fine. Just look at n0obies sig. Server 1 has been up for 40 some days with no problem. I hope you stay with frihost and don't leave this wonderful community. What other free hosting allows you to put your own ads on your site? So you can make money off of a free host. How much better can it get?

Holy Crap I never knew that...and how can you request a company to put ads on your site?
Blaster
shadedflame wrote:

Holy Crap I never knew that...and how can you request a company to put ads on your site?

Go to a site and you can ask if they are interested in having there ads put on your site. Also you can go to a site like http://services.google.com/marketing/links/US-HA-CMBNINE2/?sourceid=ASO&subid=US-HA-Froogle google ads and have them put ads on your site. It is quite simple actually. If you need more help you can also serch google. You may also try sites like yahoo who have ads too. You just have to send emails to people and ask if they are interested in haveing ads on your site.
gonzo
You rarely get more than you pay for.
ternoah
Wynand wrote:

Please vote!

Well if you put hit like that no i dont think is sustainable for a great lot of people. There has to be a money flow.
mephisto73
But what do they make money from? Advertizing in the forum?
Mgccl
yes, ads in the forum are just good enough to support all of our needs
vignesh_natraj
the recent server crash was due to some miscreants don't bother.and cool down don't talk about this matter any longer.it is not going to help antone.
Vrythramax
gonzo wrote:
You rarely get more than you pay for.

Very true....but I think free webhosting is not only sustainable but can be a viable source of income as well. Some of largest server farms on the internet are dedicated to free hosting, and make alot of money off of ad revenue. The trick is to get it large enough to be self-sustaining before you get sucked under by the overhead costs.

Servers and bandwidth ain't cheap, but theoretically it can be done.
nilsmo
As we now FriHost stands for Free Reliable Internet Hosting. Free Hosting is sustainable maybe for a months or a couple of years in this case, so it's good for people expirementing with web sign. But it does not suffice for companies with web sites that have large amounts of hits. So, in conclusion, Free Hosting is not sustainable foer a long time, but rather a medium sized time at most, which is good for some.
Dentist-t
"Wynand"]Is free web hosting sustainable?

Please vote!
No , i don't think so...
mhenrique
I believe it's an interesting marketing techinique, but I don't believe you can live with donations only, even if you're doing a philanthropic work.
thiamshui
it should be sustainable.. building up a big community to post at the forums do generate a lot of hits for ads.. and it does build up a good reputation, which can be beneficial..
bassgs_17
Frihost is amazing and is completely self-sustained, from what I've seen. Not only is their hosting reliable, but it's been around for quite a while. Long live frihost!

-Aquastrike