FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tom Clancey

btheday
By far the best author in my opinion. I mean I don't like to read any more than the next guy but I get lost in his books. Any one else read his books?

Vrythramax
Love his books, he really takes his time to research anything he writes and, for me anyway, it makes his books much more believable, and enjoyable.
Garg
Yep ! love reading his books... I really liked the Bear and the Dragon, rainbow six and especialy the sum of all fears.

A little more farfetched are the Clive Cussler novels, but only the Dirk Pitt ones.

I also love the Robert Ludlum novels, and some Michael Crichton are worthwhile (but i like them a little less).

Anyway, my 2 cents
PoweredDeath
His books are pretty catchy and adventerous, but I enjoy the game more.
Ace123
Tom Clancy is fantastic author. By flipping through a few pages of any of his books, one can tell that he takes alot of time in research. Tom Clancy has written a wide range of stories each one as good or better than the last, all with immersive storylines, detailed characters, authentic descriptions, heart pumping action and more. Tom Clancys is a fantastic author. Very Happy
nopaniers
I'm sorry, I don't agree. I have read a lot of his books, especially the early ones, but I don't enjoy them anymore. He only has one, particularly shallow, character. He may research, but only technology. When it comes to plots, just take someone the US doesn't like, and have the Americans (who are utterly invincible) win. It's similar to action movies (where you know the story before you start), but I find it pretty boring in a book.
mceejaydee
I have his books, Rainbow Six, Divide and Conquer and Mirror Image. Never read any of them though cuz they're not at my grade level Very Happy
Garg
nopaniers wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't agree. I have read a lot of his books, especially the early ones, but I don't enjoy them anymore. He only has one, particularly shallow, character. He may research, but only technology. When it comes to plots, just take someone the US doesn't like, and have the Americans (who are utterly invincible) win. It's similar to action movies (where you know the story before you start), but I find it pretty boring in a book.

I agree with you on the fact that it's always the US that are the good guys. I'm however not totaly convinced that he writes his books in order to make action movies. I think there are certain key questions he poses through his books. The sum of all fears was written before the (god we've heard enough of it) 9/11 about mass terrorism and escalation of violence and the threat of weapons of mass destruction.

Anyway, my 2 cents
The Philosopher Princess
I'm reading The Bear and the Dragon right now (among other non-Clancy books). Yes, I think he's a very good (thorough, entertaining, sometimes thrilling) writer.

There is 1 main thing that keeps distracting me: He makes me feel like he, himself, supports right-wing pro-big-government programs. I really don’t know his personal political philosophy, but I would enjoy the book’s stories more if they were more balanced on the politics. With more balance, I still might disagree with many of the characters’ political stances (because I’d also not agree with any left-wing pro-big-government stances), but at least then I wouldn’t be getting the feeling that these stances are the author’s.

In other words, I’d like to get lost in the stories, but sometimes it’s difficult with his writing.
Greeny
btheday wrote:
By far the best author in my opinion. I mean I don't like to read any more than the next guy but I get lost in his books. Any one else read his books?

Yeah i just the same as you, i don't like reading any more then the next guy, but he books are just so good.

I have read some of his powerplays books and they are good, and i just about to start his Ravenshield book which is like 400+ pages Rolling Eyes

Very good author, but what happens when he dies, no more tom clancys books Crying or Very sad
jwunderlich
Just like Robert Ludlum- someone will step in and write under his name.
Though Ludlum isn't with us anymore - mysteriously his name is still appearing on Best Seller lists with others writing under his legacy. Same character types, newere technology- thoguh not the same flair.
MaxStirner
Garg wrote:
nopaniers wrote:

I agree with you on the fact that it's always the US that are the good guys. I'm however not totaly convinced that he writes his books in order to make action movies. I think there are certain key questions he poses through his books. The sum of all fears was written before the (god we've heard enough of it) 9/11 about mass terrorism and escalation of violence and the threat of weapons of mass destruction.

Anyway, my 2 cents

Couldn't agree more with the above statements. I've tried reading him out of desperation (and because you can't swing a dead cat at an airport book store without hitting a Clancy novel) but I find them unusually boring, with hardly any developed characters and plot-lines that are at best predictable. He paints a world of black & white which is as simple and comfortable to agree with as it is wrong. I recall that in one of his books (I can't remember the title and I refuse to research it) he has some swiss guards pacify a Jerusalem under international control, with all parties living happily ever after. Hurry Mr. Clancy, the good ship lollipop is leaving.
ddukki
Basically, if you read him for the first time, his books are amazing reads. In-depth and twisting plots galore. But then, when you read another, you realize he's had practice. Good writer. I especially loved Hunt for Red October. Rainbow Six was okay, but then I tried to read the Bear and the Dragon and just lost interest.
Nutteloos
While I agree that most of his books are quite good, I often find them to be just too long to really draw me into them. While the stories are overall very interesting, I find it hard to stay focused through five more pages of other characters before returning to the part I was actually 'into'.