FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPod Linux

Marston
OMFGZ amazing. I installed iPodLinux on my Nano on Friday - haven't done anything productive since. It's so crazy that they got uClinux onto the iPod. Honest to god - I haven't listened to music on my ipod in three days Smile. Has anyone else tried putting Linux on their iPods?
wumingsden
Marston wrote:
OMFGZ amazing. I installed iPodLinux on my Nano on Friday - haven't done anything productive since. It's so crazy that they got uClinux onto the iPod. Honest to god - I haven't listened to music on my ipod in three days Smile. Has anyone else tried putting Linux on their iPods?

i didn't even know it was possible, then again anything is possible these days
Animal
I used to run iPod linux on my old 4G iPod... it was fun to mess about with for a while, but ultimately it was just a toy. I might put it on my new 5th Gen, but I'll probably wait until it's been "released" as stable for that model. If it can't decode music in realtime or playback video / pictures, there's not much point.

I didn't think they had extended support to the Nano yet... can you still get realtime audio decoding with it, or has it not been completed yet? What about pictures? Have they utilised the colour screen?
Marston
Animal wrote:
I used to run iPod linux on my old 4G iPod... it was fun to mess about with for a while, but ultimately it was just a toy. I might put it on my new 5th Gen, but I'll probably wait until it's been "released" as stable for that model. If it can't decode music in realtime or playback video / pictures, there's not much point.

I didn't think they had extended support to the Nano yet... can you still get realtime audio decoding with it, or has it not been completed yet? What about pictures? Have they utilised the colour screen?
Well, they haven't "officially" supported the Nano, but there are a plethora of tutorials on how to install it on the nano. You can view pictures, videos, and themes all in full color. I have to agree with you about iPodLinux just being a toy. There's not very much useful stuff in it yet, but I read on their Wiki that they're thinking about adding support for connecting SD cards, and stuff like that. It would be pretty cool, but... I dunno how they'd do it.
bassgs_17
Oh, man... I just got done perfecting the linux that's installed on my Nano (black 2gig), and I raced back to frihost, only to find that someone beat me to the point. My last Linux post, about the modding of my XBOX, was deleted... Grr.

Anyway, IPL is amazing. Even though the files are HUGE after you convert them with MoPiD, the video playback function is truly amazing. That, and the half-life mod of iDoom... I reccomend this mod, just take your time while doing it, as it can get messed up easily, but any damage can be easily fixed by formatting.

-Aquastrike
Marston
Yeah, it's too bad that we can't compress the videos - if only pre-iPod video iPod's could decompress videos without exploding... Sad
bassgs_17
Well, in any case, hats off to those "Linux geeks" who fuel this project. I bet we can expect completion of Podzilla 2 this summer, I guess we'll see. I still think that MPEG video should be possible on an iPod, (pre-video), as my old 33 mhz sony clie could do it, and iPL overclocks the processor of all iPod models to 75 mhz. Well, maybe the geeks can figure it out...

I'm currently experimenting with a triple boot, of PZ0, PZ2, and Floydzilla. iDoom is so amazing!
Marston
I have pz2 and all of it's modules working Wink, using JonRelay's triple boot loader.

pz2 = amazing.
bassgs_17
Hmm... I'm using the JonRelay triple boot as well, but am having difficulty running PZ2. I updated the modules and appearance, but it still loads and gives me black squares instead of text. I tried the "blind navigation" instructions from the ipl forum, but they didn't work... Any suggestions?
-Aquastrike
phinguyen
yeah. i've got linux on my 3rd gen ipod and i've recently been mess'n wit my frenz photo ipod and i managed to load linux on it too. i cant get the video to work though, i've converted with MOPID but i cant even get a 25 second clip to run. any ideaz?
sibbahz
Ive looked into doing this on my ipod mini but it looks far too confusing for me and i would probaly end up wrecking the whole thing.
Also doom looks awful on an ipod mini
bassgs_17
The installation of IPL and Podzilla can be...touchy. What flavor of iPod are you trying to install IPL on? Are you sure Mopid converted it correctly, and did not spit out an error... Let me think about this, and I'll get back to you.
-Aquastrike
Marston
bassgs_17 wrote:
Hmm... I'm using the JonRelay triple boot as well, but am having difficulty running PZ2. I updated the modules and appearance, but it still loads and gives me black squares instead of text. I tried the "blind navigation" instructions from the ipl forum, but they didn't work... Any suggestions?
-Aquastrike
The wiki page is here. I dunno if you read it, but it could help you...
bassgs_17
I've read teh wiki page. I'm going to try a clean install tonight, it should help. I've got a ton of Game Maker work to do, so I might not have time. Does anyone have any idea on how close PZ2 is to completion?!
-Aquastrike
Marston
Probably pretty far off.
bassgs_17
I officially have PZ2 working now, and I just downloaded teh Doom64 wad. Man, that thing is HARD!
-Aquastrike
oh0092
That sounds really cool! Very Happy
vnieto
Marston wrote:

Cat this be possibel??
How??
bassgs_17
All hail Protoman. But seriously, if you have any Questions please visit the Ipod Linux Home Page. They explain the entire process in detail, and it is fairly simple to do provided you are semi computer literate. PM me if you have any questions during install.
-Aquastrike