FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows problems (here we go again -.-)

gerrit111
Well i have like a very annoying problem if i try to turn off my computer.
I go to start, shut off (bla bla bla) and then all goes normal, you are being logged out or something? (i'm dutch so...)
after hat you'll get the message on the schreen that windows is shutting down.
Well, that's it, no more to add, my computer don't turn off by himself what he's supposed to do! so i have to wait all the time so that my computer is ready for the power to be cut off (what i don't think is good for my PC).
Does any1 have a suggestion of what to do, or how the problem exists...?
It would really help me.

I use Windows XP ant a ATx power sourse

thx for reading Smile
schizolo
Then you dont write what system you use (example: XP , 98 , or RedHat)
And what power source you use (Atx or AT)
And at last check a bios settings on power down...
gerrit111
schizolo wrote:
Then you dont write what system you use (example: XP , 98 , or RedHat)
And what power source you use (Atx or AT)
And at last check a bios settings on power down...

*Edited*

Thanx, i will check it now

But... what does it have to say?
Animal
This is actually quite a common problem. Check any programs that run in your system tray automatically - try to only use as few as possible (such as your anti-virus and firewall) and this might help.

Unfortunately, it might not. I've had this problem a few times before and I generally take it as an indication that you need to reinstall Windows. It's a real pain, it takes ages and it seems like a major step, but its the only garanteed solution to your problem.
Xeniczone
This isn't really going to help but....

The only reason windows is more popular then apple or linux is because it has more software.

The reason it has more software is becuase more ppl use it.

It is called a evil little circle. (not really i just couldn't think of the scientific name for it).

Most windows users dont want to be windows users becuase windows crashes. A LOT
If we all just go out and buy apples then with no windows users then software companys will switch from windows to apple. see...

I'm doing that now I'm swiching over from windows to apple because im tired of the crashing I recommend you do the same. Wink
Animal
Xeniczone wrote:
This isn't really going to help but....

Hmm... you're right - it didn't help at all. Wild, general rant about how Windows sucks and MacOS is all-powerful wasn't even remotely topic-related.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Hmm... you're right - it didn't help at all. Wild, general rant about how Windows sucks and MacOS is all-powerful wasn't even remotely topic-related.

first it is true windows sucks... It was part in a way to recommend a better choose of os... and what you just posted is of topic so don't speech. ok cool leave it at that.

Anyway.
ok time for something that might help:

Look up shut down on the web about the regestry. Something in your regestry my be off that is pausing it before it shutsdown.

Like mentioned earlier a virus or spyware my be involed.

finally, try to make sure that there aren't any cd roms or disks in teh dirve that my interfere with the shut down.
DJHicks
i seem to remember a problem liek this on my old win 98se machine...

i cant remeber fully the problem or how it was fixed (i apologise)

but i do remeber it being something to do with my power mangement in the bios i think!

hope this help if at all!

as im not sure of ur operating system etc here are a few sites i found that may help!

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread4563-1.html

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1018965549

http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=9822

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread12586-1.html

hope these do help - they do seem to point to power mangement options etc!

ps.. i take not responsibility if u do follow a sites advice and something bad happens.. sorry but u cant be too careful nowdays lol!
Bones
Try restarting thc pc in safe mode and see if it shuts down properly from there. If it does, then it means that Windows is ok, and there is something 3rd party on the pc that is causing the shutdown problem.

If it shuts down normally from safe mode then the next step is to do clean-boot troubleshooting using msconfig.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/

I usually start by disabling non-MS services and startup items because thats where 90% of 3rd party software problems will be.

Basically it's a mater of disabling everything and then re-enabling items in small blocks and restarting the pc until the problems comes back. Once it does come back, then you know that the problem is in one of the last few items that you just enabled before the last restart.

Also, do you have any USB devices installed? Especially storage devices like flash drives or mp3 players? If so, try removing them and see if the problem goes away.