FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


PHP/Mysql - beginner!





py2006
Hi all,

I am dying to start learing some decent web design skills! I can do the whole HTML, Dreamweaver, Photoshop stuff but I really need to get my hands dirty in some programming and database stuff!

The reason I am considering going for PHP.Mysql is becuase its all free!

Is it a good idea to go down this route or should I be looking elsewhere?

I would appreciate all your comments and suggestions, thanks!
simplyw00x
This is definitely a good route; check out the Tutorials section for a plethora of good PHP tutorials. You don't really need to learn mySQL per se; you'll probably pick it up as you go along.

PHP can really make your life easier; you can make your own automation systems ground-up, or fix niggles in big ones like PHPBB yourself. Also, PHP is a versatile shell scripting language that lets you do things on your own computer more quickly.
shalmoli
php/mysql is indeed a very good choice.
Try the following url:
http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql
The best way to learn is to try to do a dummy project. May be you could start by creating a small website for yourself and your family . You may store the details of your family in the mysql db . Use php code to extract the data and display it in the website!
I am sure you would have better ideas for a dummy project!
comp615
Also look at getting mysql server installed on your computer....I also use indigoperl for a webhost on my computer. It's very convinent to be able to test your own php scripts and to have a local mysql db on your computer for debugging.
frozenhead
py2006 wrote:

I am dying to start learing some decent web design skills! I can do the whole HTML, Dreamweaver, Photoshop stuff


That's really good to hear.

py2006 wrote:

but I really need to get my hands dirty in some programming and database stuff!


I bet you should!

py2006 wrote:

The reason I am considering going for PHP.Mysql is becuase its all free!


It's really a good choice and combination.

py2006 wrote:

I would appreciate all your comments and suggestions, thanks!


Well, just try googling on sites regarding the platforms, good luck! Smile
shaggly
I would definitely recommend going down this route.

Also, if you are going to set up a testing server, I would like to offer a few words from my own personal experience.

I tried to set up each of the components separately: Apache, MySQL, PHP. I also downloaded several versions of each to try out different versions of the s/w.

However, I found that while Apache and PHP were fairly easy to set up manually (although some technical reading and knowledge is required, depending on your requirements) that MySQL was an absolute pig.

It was easy to set up the Windows service, but to actually customize it to my own particular flavour turned out to be a royal pain in the butt.

In the end, I lost patience after several different services, none of which were quite what I was trying to achieve.

Instead, after a few beers and calming down a little, I decided to give one of the AMPP packages a whirl.

I opted for XAMPP, although there are quite a few installers available. Since installing XAMPP I haven't had any problems, and I simulate several websites on my virtual server including graphical and commercial ones.

Obviously, this is just fr the installation side. To learn the programming aspects, as others have already mentioned, there are loads of good tutorials around.

Cheers,
hobbes
If you do want to install a apache/php/mysql server on your computer to test your scripts I recromend http://www.easyphp.org/. It was made for that single purpose and it is very easy!
zhangleisk
I also have just started in PHP/MySQL. I want to share a bit of my experience as a beginner. When I installed apache, php and MySql I didn't install the lastest version, but instead i installed apache2.0.48 php4 and mysql4. The installation was easily finished. However, when I tried to install the lastest versions on a server, i.e, apache2.0.55 for windows, php5, and mysql5, I met lots of problems and it took me two whole days to solve all the problems and also the codes conflicts between php4 and php5.
Actually php4 can fulfill most users' requirements. So do consider which version to use when you install. Good Luck.
sangharsha
Lets go from the first,
Installation: for the easiest way to start, download and install phpdev [you cna look it in the google] This has all the necessary stuffs packed in one.

To run, just start the phpdev.

Best way for starting the php development is referring the php manual, alongwith the user contributed notes.
This gives you a lot of support for all language, functions and other reference.

Regarding mysql, i user Sqlyog. the free version is also available. Its user friendly and easier to use.


Go ahead.
PublicKiosk
a great website to use is the following:

http://www.tizag.com/

It has tutorials for PHP, mySQL, and other languages that you need to start your venture on the web. I'm happy for your interest in PHP and mySQL, don't forget to post a link when you're done!
Slammer
hey there, yes the php/mysql route is the way you want to go! It makes things so much easier, and you can add great extra functionality to your future websites. A good site i can recommend is http://phpfreaks.com i used that a lot when i was first learning.

Good luck!
Slammer
Kefka
A good site I always use for reference is www.w3schools.com. It has the most used things on each web programming language, explained very clearly.
peanutz
shalmoli wrote:
php/mysql is indeed a very good choice.
Try the following url:
http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql
The best way to learn is to try to do a dummy project. May be you could start by creating a small website for yourself and your family . You may store the details of your family in the mysql db . Use php code to extract the data and display it in the website!
I am sure you would have better ideas for a dummy project!


thanx for this link !
sinaryuda
MySQL Help, MySQL Tutorials, MySQL Programming, MySQL Tricks


http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Loading-JavaScript-Arrays-with-MySQL-Data/
asiddle423
i like to use www.tutorialized.com this has a range of tutorials eg. html php java photoshop
bsnyder
Definitely go with php - mySQL they make a great combo and they are both free. As PublicKIosk said www.tizag.com has great tutorials for php - mySQL along with HTML,CSS,XML. Good Luck !!!
asiddle423
one quick question
may sound daft but ....

what is xml?
cafefort
No there's no stupid question Smile

XML to be concise is a way to organize information
it's a structured markup to represent hierarchical data.
It's generally not entend for human direct use but for computers.

XML is nearest to databases than to html.

Hope this helps Smile
asiddle423
yes i understand slightly

what can i benefit from it though
would it make it easier for me to create sites
and is it an easy code to learn
cafefort
Hi asiddle423,

Quote:
what can i benefit from it though
would it make it easier for me to create sites


In a beginner level, I must confess: No, it wouldn't be that benifical. I mean you can develop a whole lotta sites and web apps without using XML at all.

You'll need it in cases you want to transmit data between your server and the
client. Data that is not really intended to be displayed --at least in this format.
This data has to be processed by a program and eventually be shown...
Actually XML is very powerful and has a lot of uses but, yes, it's not that required.

For example, I use it in my ajax webapps, to transfer data from the server
to the browser and then with some javascript code, show information in a nice human-browser-server way of interaction .

Quote:
and is it an easy code to learn

Yes! sure! Although it's not really a "code" to learn, but some "rules", really easy rules on how to write/produce good well formed XML docs.

I can advise to you to take a look at this simple article:
A LIST APART: What the hell is XML
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/hellxml

And of course to this well known course:
W3SCHOOLS XMLL TUTORIAL:
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp

You can go forward, that will be a nice pretty journey Smile

Hope this helps Smile
Sukozu
thank you all for the nice urls to resource sites im also new to all this and this seems to be a knowing community and a friendly one to start learning with!

im mostly interested in hosting a pHpBB for my wow clan and i didnt like any of the free option hosts, im not totally in teh dark when it comes to these kind of stuff so id figure why not take the opportunity to learn if its free of charge to start one and there seems to be a nice community with all the tools at hand!

ill have to ask more later as i get started Smile i know how to make websites and graphics but i need to brush up on te server parts of all of this.

take care and till laters!
asiddle423
ok that helps Smile thanks for the help
cafefort
You're both welcome Smile

Actually, I've been working with and on XML for a long time
now and I've written a php library for xml.
Alas my website isn't online anymore but you can download it
elswehere on the web.

look for "cafemel" on google you'll find it Smile

cafemel stands for "cafe fort XML" a kind of contraction Smile
landxxx
cafefort wrote:
Hi asiddle423,

Quote:
what can i benefit from it though
would it make it easier for me to create sites


In a beginner level, I must confess: No, it wouldn't be that benifical. I mean you can develop a whole lotta sites and web apps without using XML at all.

You'll need it in cases you want to transmit data between your server and the
client. Data that is not really intended to be displayed --at least in this format.
This data has to be processed by a program and eventually be shown...
Actually XML is very powerful and has a lot of uses but, yes, it's not that required.

For example, I use it in my ajax webapps, to transfer data from the server
to the browser and then with some javascript code, show information in a nice human-browser-server way of interaction .

Quote:
and is it an easy code to learn

Yes! sure! Although it's not really a "code" to learn, but some "rules", really easy rules on how to write/produce good well formed XML docs.

I can advise to you to take a look at this simple article:
A LIST APART: What the hell is XML
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/hellxml

And of course to this well known course:
W3SCHOOLS XMLL TUTORIAL:
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp

You can go forward, that will be a nice pretty journey Smile

Hope this helps Smile


I one forums on internet I was see MySql tutorial but this tutorial is on German language. I know very well german language and I say this tutorial is very good, you find this tutorial with google = "PHP und MySQL praktish helfe"

Tutorial is exellent
Jamatu
http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/

A DAMN nice begginers tutorial if you know nothing about php and mysql.
afracsass
it was fun to read this thread and helpful. I'll try XAMPP. thanks.



shaggly wrote:
I would definitely recommend going down this route.

Also, if you are going to set up a testing server, I would like to offer a few words from my own personal experience.

I tried to set up each of the components separately: Apache, MySQL, PHP. I also downloaded several versions of each to try out different versions of the s/w.

However, I found that while Apache and PHP were fairly easy to set up manually (although some technical reading and knowledge is required, depending on your requirements) that MySQL was an absolute pig.

It was easy to set up the Windows service, but to actually customize it to my own particular flavour turned out to be a royal pain in the butt.

In the end, I lost patience after several different services, none of which were quite what I was trying to achieve.

Instead, after a few beers and calming down a little, I decided to give one of the AMPP packages a whirl.

I opted for XAMPP, although there are quite a few installers available. Since installing XAMPP I haven't had any problems, and I simulate several websites on my virtual server including graphical and commercial ones.

Obviously, this is just fr the installation side. To learn the programming aspects, as others have already mentioned, there are loads of good tutorials around.

Cheers,
alzem
i have info domain name how can i get this in my accont at frihost?
alzem
do you think that its good idea to upload pc nuke it hah 36.mo how do i cofigue my config.php?
cyberngef
thanks i was searching for thread like this
badin
im very new in this forum. what i must do for php and mysql hosting.?
Ducksteina
badin wrote:
im very new in this forum. what i must do for php and mysql hosting.?

You should start using the search function. It helps a lot. Smile
LethcanAernis
Ducksteina wrote:
badin wrote:
im very new in this forum. what i must do for php and mysql hosting.?

You should start using the search function. It helps a lot. Smile


I think you just have to upload your PHP files to the directory and be sure to have a username and password to the MySQL dqtqbes. I'm wiating for my account but when it is up I will configure it Smile I let you know when it has been done Smile
asiddle423
are you wanting to learn some php and mysql?

if so looking through the posts would be handy.

but the basics are similar to below
Code:

<?php
$string = "Hello World";
echo $string;
?>


Breakdown of the code
<?php and ?> - this is the opening and closing of the tags, these should be used when using php code so that the server knows to execute the commands.

$string - this is a variable that can hold data just type the $ sign and then give it a name to declare the variable. To asign a value to the variable use the = sign and use " " for text or strings as they are called and numeric you don't need the " ".

echo - this will display something to the user. if you want to display a piece of text use the " " else if its a variable just type out the variable

If you would require any more help just send me a message
badin
is possible php nuke on frihost.com? thanx for your interests...
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Scripting -> Php and MySQL

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.