FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

can my paypal account be hacked?

medoneman
Is they any possibility 4 hackers to attack my paypal account and take my money? i'm a new paypal user, do u notice any problems with it? is it real secure?
Kaisonic
Dude, PayPal is THE single most trusted money-transfer site on the net. The only way someone could hack your account would be if they got your password. Even then, I'm sure they would need more information to actually get any money. PayPal is absolutely safe. My family has been using the same PayPal account for over 5 years and NEVER has our information been compromised (except that time we accidentally clicked on one of those fake eBay emails, which reminds me, keep an eye out for those) But rest assured your information is safe with PayPal.
root
Yah, it's very possible that someone can crack your account, but that's not saying that PayPal isn't secure, because PayPal is very secure. They have been a primary threat for crackers for awhile which is part of why they are so secure. As long as your not ignorant you'll be fine. The only threat your up against is "phishing" (I think that's how it's spelled). Phishing is when an email is spoofed to make it look like it's from PayPal and it requests acount information like password etc... In all, unless you are extremely careless and become victim to phishing, you should have nothing to worry about.
izcool
Yes, be sure that you TYPE-IN the address to PayPal into the address bar to get to the website, do not trust links included in eMails. If you receive an eMail from PayPal, it should be addressing you personally, but not as a large audience, as how most fake eMails are sent like. I've clicked on a link in a fake eMail and had my account password given away when trying to login, but I immediately called their support desk and had them prevent transactions from coming in or going out or from any information to be edited unless I verify some personal information. Then I changed the password and I'm fine as to this day. If you realize your mistake right away, you can save your account as how I did.

- Mike.
manumiglani
medoneman wrote:
Is they any possibility 4 hackers to attack my paypal account and take my money? i'm a new paypal user, do u notice any problems with it? is it real secure?

man paypal is very secure,,

but there are exploits in everything

you must be safe from social engineeing also.
narc
First off, you guys are nuts.

Second off, I use it anyways. Let me explain...

To say that ANYTHING on the web is secure is ludicrous. Your online banking is NOT secure, even if it is done in 128 bit encryption and the little yellow lock is on.

Your online shopping is NOT secure for sure, because anyone can pick up that stream (again, even if it is HTTPS, 128bit).

And trust me on this, your paypal account is NOT secure. It is quite possible to hack in.

With all of that said, I still use paypal when I have to because it is easy. But I would never trust large sums of money to it. Sure, you can spend $100 here and there.

So to answer your question: Is paypal safe? Mostly.
To answer a better question: Is paypal 100% safe? Not a chance in hell.
boringest
yeah, just make sure you don't click those links in the email that phishers might send you. always login at their website and never give out your password to anyone!
gonzo
yes, and if you give me your username and password I'll tell you all about the bigger threat to your account
Frag
Paypal is secure ,but like everyone else has said dont trust emails, make sure there from paypal. I have had quite a few saying a loada crap trying to get my password, but aslong as your smart and know hwat your doing there aint a chance of you having your account hacked.
Bondings
If something goes wrong, then you should normally always be able to charge back the money after contacting your credit card company. As long as you do it quickly and the payment was obviously not made by you, then this should always be working.
[FuN]goku
i dont use paypal but its actually probaby possible for someone to hack your account, but the odds are low cuz its secure Very Happy
James007
The most dangerous part of your PayPal Account is you. Smile
bencang_muahoa2002
I thing it can hack.
I have gone to some forum and they say about some way to hach cc or paypal
And i know some one in it can buy host and domain for them
thiamshui
guard your computer against spyware and keyloggers.. they can obtain your password quite easily..
hahame
if some can hacker attack paypal just u make the infomation about the paypal out. the more question is u,
Vrythramax
I have been using Paypal for a number of years without any problems, BUT...I have also learned that nothing on the Internet is truely secure. If some wizkid wants in, they will find a way. The fact of gaurding against spoofed emails has already been made so I won't go into detail there. I think the 2 single most important things YOU can do to insure your accounts security is:

1. Make a secure password using alphanumerics (A-Z (both upper and lower case) + 0-9).

2. Don't give that password out to anybody and do not store it on your PC.

Paypal may or may not be completely safe, I would also make sure of the site you are actually buying goods or services from....there's no telling if they are the ones that are going to try and steal from you.
windval
wow

so terrible~~

i am also a beginner of paypal~~~

i hope i will not be hacked~~~

i have to change my passward then~~ Confused
misomichael
Basically, the best thing you can do to protect your Paypal account is not to click on links in e-mails claiming to come from eBay or Paypal, unless you were expecting that specific mail (for instance, the first time you create your Paypal account, you need to click a link in your e-mail to prove that address really belongs to you). Instead, type in www.paypal.com on the address bar everytime you want to go there.

Also, be sure you're running good antispyware/antivirus/antitrojan/firewall software to make sure no keyloggers get installed on your system. If you aren't going to questionable websites in the first place, or downloading software via P2P, or clicking attachments in your e-mails, and if you're keeping up with security updates, you are not that likely to be exposed to a keylogger in the first place, but if you do engage in any risky activities you need to make double-sure your system defenses are as secure as possible.
Code of Ruin
Paypall is reasonably secure for an online bank account. However I would never use it. Computers tend to be flooded with spyware, phishing mails and all sorts other ugly crap. Those can obtain all the information needed to hack your account. Against phishing mails is a good defense called acting rational. Against spyware defense is a little harder since everyday a new piece rolls out of the malicious factories that produce this junk. Then we still haven't even talked about things like brute-forcing accounts, catching streams from the pay-pal server and decoding them and all that kind of stuff. So paypal isn't bad for small sums of money but never ever use large sums, those are the kind that disappear.
hamza1122
yeah ive been using it for over a year now and my money hasn't been taken or anything so i guess its pretty safe Very Happy
Xanify
James007 wrote:

QFT.

If you're reasonably internet savvy and know not to click on strange links, you'll be fine.
Nameless
Xanify wrote:
James007 wrote:

QFT.

Thirded.

Also, in response to a couple of earlier posts, I'm pretty sure that letting somebody else learn your password is not what hacking is. Even falling for phishing scams or letting spyware be installed on your computer aren't hacking the actual PayPal website. PayPal itself is probably as secure as you're going to get on the internet ... (ie. not impenetrably, but close enough for everyday use).
standready
PayPal is as secure as any internet can be. Lot of good tips listed by others on protecting your end. I have PayPal process all my online customer's transactions, whether they use money already in their PayPal account, their credit cards, or other funding source. What I like is the added security/privacy PayPal gives my customers. I only receive from PayPal the necessary shipping information - no account numbers.
I also like using PayPal personally for that very reason.
Ghost900
PayPal is very secure and would be very hard to hack into an account. You probably already have gotten fake emails from (look like Paypal) telling you to update your info and click a link to your site. Generally anything that wants you to update your info and it has a link, it is generally a phishing email.

If you think its real just visit paypal.com, never click the link inside the email that looks like it is from Paypal. This is the case for any online banking websites.

I have been using Paypal for 5 years and have not had an issue with it as far as being hacked or whatnot.
desonium
It has all been said, but I still want to share my opinion.

I think paypal is safe when you don't put too much money on your paypal-account,
because there is always a possibility that a few hackers can crack your code through your internet connection.
soljarag
could it get hacked? Sure .... Could you get mugged when you walk out your door? Sure ... but that doesnt mean you shouldnt use paypal, or be afraid to walk out your door
pll
Kaisonic wrote:
Dude, PayPal is THE single most trusted money-transfer site on the net. The only way someone could hack your account would be if they got your password. Even then, I'm sure they would need more information to actually get any money. PayPal is absolutely safe.

Everything is hackable, believe me.
Paypal can be safe but ; Nothing is absolutely safe.

Yes Paypal is pretty good and it's the most trusted.
But know what? IT'S THE MOST TRUSTED!

What do you think hackers will try to hack first ? The most popular / trusted or a little one with not so much money.
Nameless
pll wrote:
What do you think hackers will try to hack first ? The most popular / trusted or a little one with not so much money.

Well, if I were a hacker I'd be smart enough to try hacking a less secure site first; there'd be less chance of being caught if/when you screwed up. Just like if you were going to mug someone, you wouldn't mug the millionaire with bodyguards and a public image.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
pll wrote:

Well, if I were a hacker I'd be smart enough to try hacking a less secure site first; there'd be less chance of being caught if/when you screwed up. Just like if you were going to mug someone, you wouldn't mug the millionaire with bodyguards and a public image.
What about your more serious hackers though? The ones who do it for sport and see "secure" sites as a challenge, not necessarily to use what is in there? But to disable it, or put a virus in it?
calculus
Any system can be cracked as every system has flaws.

So yes, Paypal can be cracked by many ways, however the chances of you eventually getting violated are very small as most crackers would rather attempt to crack a known account like for example, you posted some personal information somewhere on the internet that could lead to obtaining paypal account information, than cracking into the paypal.com database/servers (once it's much more risky on getting caught), you see, most crackers are rather opportunists.
Ankhanu
Honestly, anything connected to a network can be hacked... of course, some things are more likely to be hacked than others.

As others have said, PayPal is pretty damn secure, it's really unlikely that your account can be hacked, if you practice safe computing and don't leave access to your passwords anywhere. I hacker isn't going to be able to crack into PayPal to get into your account, but they certainly could access unsecure info you didn't protect well enough. Don't be careless with your information and you have nothing to worry about.
ankitdatashn
As some people have said this and I also reiterate it that no system is foolproof, every system is bound to failure sometimes or the other. And as time has suggested Paypal is an elite amongst trading money online at present. So go for it if you need it but yes, be cautious all the time, you never know when fate has evil work in store for you....
jabce85
anything can be hacked... and good luck getting help with paypal's customer service.
Nameless
AND YOU'D BETTER NOT STOP OUTSIDE GUYS YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN AN AIRPLANE MIGHT FALL ON YOUR HEAD.

Let's put this risk into perspective people.
ForceRun
The most likely way your Paypal could be hacked is a simple phishing attack, where someone sends an email, or changes a link so that when you think you are going to Paypal.com you are really going to a different site that looks just like the Paypal site. Unknowing when you enter your name and pass into the site you are giving the hackers your info. There are a lot of different variations on that set up. So make sure you type into the url bar, www.paypal.com every-time you want to access the site.
guissmo
It can be hacked.
The question is how far is the hacker willing to go to hack your account?

If ever you don't have like billions of dollars or you're not giving hackers motives on doing so, I guess PayPal's security takes care or this. Its security makes it much less worth of their time.

(I hope I'm making sense. Haha.)
Aredon
James007 wrote:
Quoted for truth. Still though it's important to note the one law of data transfer as a whole. Nothing can be absolutely secure. That said, it's not something you should worry about. It's one of those things that you can't really control. If it happens you just have to deal with it.
Radar
I'm hoping PayPal is secure, considering that I'm helping an organisation integrate it into a website Razz