FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Power supplies and cases

mathiaus
Wel I've been told my 350W PSU isn't poweful for my PC and it's peformance is lower than if I had a bigger one. I therfore decided I wanted to upgrade but have run inot a few ... not difficulties but Some things have lost me and utterly confused the hell out of me.

The PSU I'm looking at
cheap and powerful but it has the fan at the top of the unit. Will I need a case with a hole in that place or is a normal case fine? Also it mentions that it has PFC. What is that? Google gives me a few deinitions but none actually explain well enough what it is.

Hope someone can advise me here.
Thanks
Matt
root
I would not get that power supply, considering very little info about it is provided. I reccomend a well known and trusted brand like Antec. If you want a PSU that is relatively cheap then I would reccomend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931. You shouldn't need a new case, but in case you're interested, Lian Li makes the best PC cases.
ocalhoun
When that happened to me, I just added a second power supply. (I have a full-tower case.) Works great and it didn't cost me a thing because I stole the second power supply from an old computer I had.
mathiaus
Good idea though I only have rrom for the one PSU as it's only a midi tower.

@ root. Thanks for that, I've seen Antec before but I didn't want to pay out out for more, though I suppose quality is important as well so I may change my mind.
Saber
Quote:
Will I need a case with a hole in that place or is a normal case fine?
I think the image that they have, is it upside down. Mine sorta looks like that and the fan is on the bottom. Hope your able to find a goood one.
mathiaus
Saber wrote:
Quote:
Will I need a case with a hole in that place or is a normal case fine?
I think the image that they have, is it upside down. Mine sorta looks like that and the fan is on the bottom. Hope your able to find a goood one.

Bit stupid showing it upside down but makes more sense I think. Was starting to wonder why I couldn't find any cases with a hole there!
Saber
Yah, I agree with you. But then again, how are you going to show that it has a fan when its on the bottom? I guess you could label it saying from the bottom, or something. When I got my powersupply I dindt know that, So I figured that if it was on the top then I would just take the top off my case.(the case has pannels for each side)
gh0stface
One of the most common problems for computer failure is the consumers ability to purchase a cheap "powerful" power supply. When you see like a 500watt PSU for like 30 bucks, be extremely wary if it isn't a known brand. These cheaper brands tend to use inferior components and the voltage rails aren't what they state on the label.

It's definetly better to shell out more money for a more known PSU brand such as Antec, Enermax and a few others that are out on the market.
webmastering
I have never heard of using more than one PSU. When you say that the fan is on the top, are sure that that isn't just the picture? Sometimes they take the pictures that way. What kind of Graphics card are you running that needs that much power? But, yeah you should get your PSU from a reliable company. Newegg is a great place to buy PSUs.
altec
ocalhoun wrote:
When that happened to me, I just added a second power supply. (I have a full-tower case.) Works great and it didn't cost me a thing because I stole the second power supply from an old computer I had.

I did that, but it simply does not work for me. One power supply for the motherboard only and another power supply for the HD, FDD, CD, etc.

It is not as simple as plugging another power supply to your rig. The power supply only works if it is connected to a motherboard. Perhaps your second PSU, is really that old.

And so I bought a new power supply unit at 500Watts. More than enough.
Clash
ocalhoun wrote:

The problem with that setup, is that if the mobo needs 400w, and you have a 300w plugged in, then you're in trouble. P4's and AMD's need at least 350W. Doubling up PSU's will not give you the extra wattage unless you start in with your soldering iron Razz

You must have had to do a bit of cutting on your case to get the outlets to work Sad