FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

pls suggest software to generate thumbnails etc...

riv_
I'm getting tired of spending SO MUCH TIME resizing images and converting formats, etc.
Can anyone recommend a free or cheap application that will do the following:

resize images
    convert images to different formats
    add watermark
    process a batch of images
    must be compatibale with AT LEAST pngs, jpgs (preferably gifs and other formats as well)
    must do these quickly and reliably, with good image quality, WITHOUT needing to open every file.
    It would be nice if it could also rename files, and save them to different folders.

Has anyone worked with a program that does all or most of these things and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? What would you recommend?
root
your best bet is to find something opensource..you could also simply search downloads.com and you might find something
KHO
l believe infranview can do all that Neutral.
And infranview can associate with any image l believe, has a multi rename/re-location/file converter tool. l haven't tried to resize yet, but l think it can Neutral.
ignition
I know it's not free or cheap, but if you can obtain a copy of Photoshop the batch-automate utility can do everything you listed up there. You basically just record a set of actions (resize, add a border, do whatever, save as this type) and then apply those recorded actions to an entire folder or group of images; works quickly and efficiently.
Vrythramax
A program called ThumbsPlus comes to mind, but I'm not sure it will do all that you want it to....I do know it makes great thumbnails and contact sheets tho.
Jayfarer
This software doesn't do watermarks, but it creates decent enough website galleries. Takes images, makes thumbnails, and generates as many pages as needed for each image. It's a little inefficient in the way it takes up webspace, though, since each image gets it's own page.

http://www.ornj.net/

"Web Album Generator"
gonzo
Its no contest. HANDS DOWN the best application I've ever used is EyeBatch 2. And it's really affordable

http://clusty.com/search?input-form=simple-clusty&query=eyebatch

http://www.atalasoft.com/eyebatch/

camelo_do_alaska
you can use photoshop CS that one can generate thumbnails and a web pages with the photos
CrimsonStrange
Idea Well, one really cheap way is to set your Folder View to "Thumbnails", take a screen capture of the folder using the Print Screen button, then paste the image from the clipboard into whatever your favorite graphics program is and edit it to suit your taste.
Then, just create an imagemap from the capture of your folder, having each thumbnail linked to the full-sized version of the picture.

It might not give you a lot of options that other programs specifically designed to create thumbnails do, but it's a simple way to make simple thumbnails.
Jack_Hammer
I think PSP 7 was really good, if you can get it, it's the the newest version, but I also think Animation shop or PSP (They both come together) it had a 'Batch Process' you could edit all photos in a folder simply, it's not very expensive but not all that cheap, though I'm not sure whether the newer version will still have the same functions.
opulentdesign
My favorite way to make thumbnails, is using photoshop. Do a batch process on your group of photos and make your images 100px x 100px (normally used for thumbs) and then they will all be done, resized, and made for you. You can easily make your own script to add a watermark to all of your photos. If you have any problems, let me know! Laughing
Shake
Batch processing would be the easiest way to do this if you're already using Photoshop. If you already know how to do it, great. If not, I would suggest this tutorial: http://www.creativemac.com/2002/04_apr/tutorials/psbatch.htm
Code of Ruin
KHO wrote:
And infranview can associate with any image l believe, has a multi rename/re-location/file converter tool. l haven't tried to resize yet, but l think it can Neutral.

Irfanview works quite well and it can indeed resize images. It has a batch conversions for converting images and it works swift.
Nisk
The best taht is posible to get is Adobe Photoshop CS2. Its great i have it and, well its great! Exclamation Smile
ccarter24
Photoshop of course. It's the only way to go. I know earlier versions of photoshop would actually build a thumbnail web page for you. Pretty handy.
I hear Microsoft paint is really quite handy too. Wink
justjoey
Hahaha, Good old photoshop, i would go with that. Good old Paint can work, but I'm not believing that it has a batch process installed to it, I think it's more of a simple touch and go program.
Amsilva
Not sure, but i think Fireworks of Macromedia also do that. You can create a "Macro" and all the things you on a image the program do to the others.

Now If i can ask, Any one Knows a software (basic, and Open Source) that do a "file rename" for a list of files' Like this:

001.jpg
002.jpg

to this:

myhouse001.jpg
myhouse002.jpg
Jesica
yes/no Embarassed
Jesica
ooops.. oh.. sorry I suppose another thread than this one Rolling Eyes .
sorry for misunderstanding..

byeeeeeeee byeeeeeee Very Happy
yours
narc
Amsilva wrote:

Now If i can ask, Any one Knows a software (basic, and Open Source) that do a "file rename" for a list of files' Like this:

001.jpg
002.jpg

to this:

myhouse001.jpg
myhouse002.jpg

CKRename rocks my casbah. It has lots of rename options.

Also, in Windows Explorer (the yellow icon, not the blue e) select a range of files and press F2 (shortcut for rename). The rename process will automatically add (1) and (2) to the end of files. It is not as pretty or flexible as CKRename, but it is free and you probably alread have it.
RRRR
Well for thumb nails there are various programs. You can use microsoft front page for creating and viewing thumbnails if youre making a website. Recently google has introduced Picassa, which is also a good and easy to use thumbnail program. I also like ACD See. Finally, you can always use adobe photo shop for Photos
gonzo
gonzo wrote:

http://www.atalasoft.com/eyebatch/

I'm not the only one here to have used EyeBatch 2 am I?
user1024
riv_ wrote:
I'm getting tired of spending SO MUCH TIME resizing images and converting formats, etc.
Can anyone recommend a free or cheap application that will do the following:

resize images
    convert images to different formats
    add watermark
    process a batch of images
    must be compatibale with AT LEAST pngs, jpgs (preferably gifs and other formats as well)
    must do these quickly and reliably, with good image quality, WITHOUT needing to open every file.
    It would be nice if it could also rename files, and save them to different folders.

Has anyone worked with a program that does all or most of these things and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? What would you recommend?

I prefer ImageMagick. But in Windows Irfanview is a good choice with many settings..
j.c.vleugel
I use photoshop
igmail
you may use image editing software from zdnetindia.com
immoralist
Gotta add my voice to the chorus of PhotoShop fans. Batch processing is a doddle if you want it to be, especially as you can add in little tweaks like a bit if sharpening for each image. Unfortunately, I'm so anal that I normally want to colour adjust and otherwise alter each image that I produce, so I tend to do each one by hand. This can be quite boring, but if you put some nice music on after a while the repitition becomes strangely soothing.

If you haven't got the budget for PhotoShop, then Irfanview does things pretty well. It is a great image handling programme which should be on every windows machine (I use the slideshow function on a daily basis to assess large batches of photos).
ChrisCh
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 has a special photo gallery feature, where it will generate thumbnail files from your imported images, as well as automatically generating the HTML pages for a photo gallery, which is a real time saver if you're intending to use those images on the internet Smile
surfparadise
.....the best program in absolute is Aperture drom apple....

try it!

bye Marco
dragonflame
KHO wrote:

ive used this product since it's infancy. awesome freeware, and I do think it can do all that you want to do here. Otherwise Id use PS.
technotrix
Very Happy Hey! folks this is TechnoTrix and this is my first post , i hope this will help you ..Some more Posts will be posted in near future....till then keep Smiling......PEACE !!

HomePage :
Code:
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php

Download Arrow EXE package :
Code:
http://www.fookes.com/ftp/free/EzThmb_Setup.exe

Download Arrow ZIP package :
Code:
http://www.fookes.com/ftp/free/ezthmb.zip

Easy Thumbnails is a popular free utility for creating accurate thumbnail images and scaled-down/up copies from a wide range of popular picture formats. An elegant interface makes it a snap to find your images and select them for processing individually, in groups, or in whole folders, using a simple file selector and built-in image viewer. You can use slider controls to rotate images and adjust their contrast, brightness, sharpness and quality, and check out the results with the built-in viewer.

Key Features

* Scale images up or down in batches
* Eleven resampling filters, including Lanczos3
* Sharpen soft images from digital cameras
* Real-time preview of target image
* Supports the new JPEG 2000 image format
* Preserves EXIF data in JPEG images
* Supports lossless JPEG rotation
* Free software producing quality results

Thumbnails can be created in any existing folder or a new folder, and you can identify them clearly by adding a prefix or suffix to their filename. If you're an image-processing enthusiast, you'll enjoy having a choice of eleven resampling filters for the best possible results. You can convert small batches of images inside Windows Explorer from the File menu or with a right-click of the mouse, display thumbnails in your browser, and even take advantage of command-line switches to generate thumbnails seamlessly from other programs. You can also save your thumbnails to a Web page using a HTML template that you can easily customize to create your own layouts, and there's helpful documentation that includes full instructions and some useful tips.

Easy Thumbnails is a genuine freeware product that will not annoy you with advertising, intrusive spyware components or nag screens. It comes from the developers of the award-winning NoteTab text editors. Very Happy
RoNiN
I use Corel Paintshop Pro, and it's really good at that stuff.
bybull
You might want to try Adobe Photoshop, I've been using it for years and it works for me.
The_Gamer294
Photoshop is prolly the best but it costs money. One that works for me for eeverything i want to do is The Gimp. www.gimp.org Its just like Photoshop but its open source so its got alot of features. I personally think its better than photoshop since its open source. You should definately try it.
photon
ive used irfanview and it works quite well for my.

and thanks technotrix for the post abt ezthumbs. ill give it a shot..
psycosquirrel
I use Photoshop; my friends dad hooked me up with an extra copy for free. To do multiple thumbnails over and over like you want to, I would just use a macro...
neosree
From my experiance, ACD see is the best bet. Get the latest vertion from its website. I think it is ACDSee8 the latest. I am currently using that. It has the ability to do all the things the author of this thread have mensioned:

Arrow It resize images either in batch or single, and give you option to control quality.
Arrow Convert images to different formats : Too much, I will say Exclamation
Arrow Process a batch of images : A lot of batch processiongs
Arrow Compatable and supprot tons of fromats.
Quote:

Yes indeed, Exactly what you asked.

The pro version set you back by $129.99, but the normal vertion will be affordable at $49.99. Visit http://www.acdsystems.com
caroline
Photoshop works best, but it's not exactly free Smile
Paint works too, but very badly.
Has anyone tried Google Picasa? It's pretty fun to play with!
Bengt
Advanced Batch Converter Exclamation
Does it all and is free Exclamation
tebeka
ImageMagic (http://www.imagemagick.org/) has many command line utilities that can do almost anything.

Python has PIL (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/) lets you do all this magic from within a Python program
hsadmin
caroline wrote:

I used picasa. I hated it. I use ArcSoft PhotoImpression. Works for what ever I need, and, the first post, what do you mean "watercolor". You mean like, make the pic look like it was painted with watercolor paints? ArcSoft PhotoImpression can do that.
syedraino
I use this frequently.

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/
djfreakske
i yesterday find the perfect program for this. it is called advanced jpeg compressor and it lets you do all the things you specified. you can resize, compress and make thumbnails with a batch file. it is a very good program for making thumbnails. just try this one you will love it Cool
Bookface
I also have to vote for the ImageMagick suite of tools.

Yeah, I'm a Linux guy, but I think they're fairly useable under cygwin, too. Nothing beats a command line for batch file operations and manipulations with the right set of tools, for images, text, word processing documents, whatever. Command line tools are what makes Linux great.
thiamshui
u can try ACDSee..
riv_
Well, thanks for the suggestions. I'd be thrilled if you'd keep them coming!
I've tried 5 or 6 in the last 2 weeks and haven't found anything just right yet.
I'm not thrilled with Photoshop: it's SLOW and EXPENSIVE.
And I don't need the image editing applications... I have other software for that.
SO far I've found a whole bunch of programs that do most of what I need them to, but nothing that does it all quickly and easily Sad but I'm narrowing it down, and have a few more to try from your suggestions...
Thanks everyone! Cool
MuroX
This is not a cheap software but you can use Microsoft Picture It!. Picture It! has all those options with the easy convineience of converting on the sides with the major file types, which are: JPEG, PNG, Bitmap. You can do all storts of things with this software including Watermarks. Like I said before you have to buy this software, its not cheap or too expensive, you can get Standard Edition for like $49.95 and Professional Edition at $69.95 (both Version Cool. You can get either edition at Future Shop or Best Buy or any Major Electronic store (I recomend Future Shop, Staples and Circuit City By: The Source).
dragonflame
caroline wrote:

Ive used picasa, and it's definitely the best photo album organizer ive tried...and it's free!
sumangurung
I have irfan view but i havent used it. I would really like to explore and see if photoshop has this and does it on the fly. If anyone has a kind of a online manual, it would be of great help.!!
benreid
Use Adobe's Light Room BETA
http://www.adobe.com and set the export to output thumbs - and it is free.

The team on http://www.stickyups.com used graphic converter pro to do all their wall graphics - not sure where you download it from though?

Can anyone help?
riv_
You can get it from download.com. Click here
Haven't tried it yet, though. I'm still searching for just the right app. Found a few... but nothing that's knocked my socks off yet.
For now, I'm using the batch function in Fireworks.
balaum
why not photoshop?
its for advanced users, and does much more than thumbs, convert between formats, but u'll get a great software to support you whenever you need