FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Girls and stick

charredii
I know in america most cars are auto trans, but in europe, i hear it's mostly stick. So if the cars in europe are stick, do many girls/women/females drive stick there too??
SkullPizza
I'm from USA and i drive stick
but i'm a dud so i guess it doesn't matter.
ocalhoun
Driving a "stick" is only difficult in very large trucks. (Where the clutch spring offers considerable resistance.)
Nonetheless, I use an automatic as I would rather not be bothered with it.
SunburnedCactus
"Drive stick"? Sounds a bit strange. I'd have never figured out its meaning if I hadn't read this thread! Laughing
Sizzle
I went to Germany, Italy and Switzerland when I was 21. I can attest that there were plenty of women there that drove stick.

Thanks and good night...
Rhubarb
Well here in South Africa most of the cars have a manual transmission, and yes majority of women drive stick. THis however has its downsides, like the B.W.C.D. experience. ( black woman can't drive.)
Jeslyn
Well I suppose this is a diffificult problem, because women aren't capable of driving with a manual. It just uses too much intelligence. This is why they stand on street corners, and look for rides. Of course car rides don't come free.
Jeslyn
Rhubarb wrote:
THis however has its downsides, like the B.W.C.D. experience. ( black woman can't drive.)

Foolishness. Hesitate before spouting it.
Vrythramax
I drive an automatic, and yes I am a man. I think it comes down to a matter of preference.

People the world over drive a stick and some even drive an automatic, I don't think it comes down to a woman, or a man for that matter, driving a stick or an automatic.

I will however conceed that some countries tend to lean towards a stick....they are easier to stop in an emergency, which is not to say that is the reason they drive them.

Preference rules.
evilryu530
lots of american women know how to drive a stick.....they sure can drive that stick hard! Laughing

They definitely know how to put their hands around the stick and pound it into gear.

i've never experienced a european woman driving a stick but i'd sure like to experience that! Wink
charredii
evilryu, that's a little over the top wtih sexual inuendoes, possibly, i should've used standard transmission to assure my message is more clear.

Just for the European, are the majority of cars standard or automatic transmission??
silliman
Jeslyn wrote:
Well I suppose this is a diffificult problem, because women aren't capable of driving with a manual. It just uses too much intelligence. This is why they stand on street corners, and look for rides. Of course car rides don't come free.

Brava Jeslyn,

Great come back. Love your sarcasm and dry wit.
Nyizsa
In Europe the majority of the cars are with manual shift. I think it gives you more flexibility in driving, as you don't depend on predefined settings choosing your ratio. Plus it is much cheaper to repair...
ocalhoun:
Trucks have the servo things. (I think you may call it "power clutch" or something.)
Jeslyn:
Very nice, I liked that one... Very Happy
Anyway, my wife drives very well. But I (and she also!) think that most of the women just can't drive in reverse. Some of them even states that they never use reverse gear.
gentine
Yeah alot of wemon can drive stick, its not really hard at all.
photon
believe me, driving stick is not that tough. and personally i will always prefer manual over auto transmission. whether its because there isnt auto trans in our country, or that i dont prefer it, i dont know. but somehow, i get the "feeling" of driving a car only when i get to shift gears manually..

i feel ancient Wink
Bengt
driving stick is basic here lol Wink
tidruG
I learnt driving a few months back, and have been driving since then (driving licenses are given when you reach 18 in India, irrespective of sex). I've never driven automatic transmission yet, but I like having manual transmission.... I must be a looney.

PS: BTW, I'm a guy.
sibbahz
Most young drivers in the UK, males and females drive cars with manual gearboxes, or with stick as it is usually cheaper to get cars with manual transmission here.
Im currently learning to drive with a manual car and it isnt really that hard.
jaysen
driving a large truck isn't that bad.... if you know when to shift you don't even use the clutch except to start out... a manual transmission gives you better fuel mileage, better performance, and just plain sounds cool when you rifle through the gears lol...

learning is a bit tough, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very natural... i had to teach my ex wife how to drive a standard the hard way. She refused to learn, claiming it was too difficult. one day we were driving home so she could watch a tv program she really wanted to see. We were still about 8 miles from the house, when i simply pulled over and got out. i told her if she wanted to watch her show, she had to drive home.
After some bitching and griping, she finally tried, and by the time she got home, she was doing pretty good already. since then, she prefers standard over automatic, and says it feels stupid to drive anyting other than a a stick shift.
Mrs Lycos
Well in my country there isn't such a thing as an automatic. So everybody has to learn manual. Besides, only at 18 you get the license, but many even thirteen or fourteen-year-olds know how to drive already.
Jack_Hammer
IMHO it doesn't really matter how you drive as long as your fine with both if it comes down to it, but otherwise just your preferance and how easy you find it to drive with one or the other, personally I want a device (I can't remember the name now) but it uses two clutches (So it's always in the right position to move up or down a gear) so it quickly and smoothely changes and it just uses a couple of buttons and up and a down on the sterring wheel. Which I feel is so much easier, though the problem with auto gears is that in emergancy situations it is not quick enough to respond.
ainieas
Where I come from we have mostly what you call the shift stick drive and I don't know any girl who has problem with them.
DecayClan
Yes, they do drive with a "stick".Its not as difficult as you thing.I am not one, but i can see that they manage to do it pretty well...I believe that driving with a stick can be a lot better in many occasions...For example, when you want to get infront of an other car:with a stick, you can lower the "i don't know how its translated", so the car runs faster for a sort time, enough time to pass the other car.Without one, this is not very possible.It also has many other uses, and much more advandages, that the auto-ones don't...
rafix
And i thought this was a thread about girls and 8ball.

In Australia it's about half/half for the girls.
But guys can't really get away with driving an auto, much to girly.
Also all the old grannies drive manuals (stick).
ZaiLH
automatic isnt driving a car, its riding. to drive a car you need manual
mjohnson
Where I come from we have mostly what you call the shift stick drive and I don't know any girl who has problem with them.
justjoey
We have plenty of sexist and racist comments in this one. But I like to drive a manual as it gives me more sense of control. Am I reading this wrong or are some of you guys getting hot and bothered because women drive "sticks". The preference for manual may change as i get older, but for now, I'm going for manual.

My father drives an automatic. And i can honestly say there is not amuch difference. Theres less movemnt of the driver. and possibly.. the 1st gear change from 1st to 2nd is bags smoother. That depends very much on the driver of the manual though. I'm not a very smooth driver.. bu ive improved lots Razz
David_Pardy
I hate driving an Auto, it feels so unnatural and like I have no control of the vehicle.

I drive manual almost exclusively. The hardest part is learning how to do it in the first place, after that you have 100 times as much control over what the car does.

You also wear the brakes out much less often, and if you use your brain (which most manual drivers do fortunately) you don't wear out manual gearboxes or clutches nearly as often as parts in auto gearboxes wear out.

Add to that, manual cars are almost always cheaper to run and buy than autos, and they weigh less.

So manual cars > auto cars for soooooooo many reasons.
unexplained
manual cars are much more powerful as compraed to auto one ...
Soulfire
Stick isn't bad, but it's one more thing to worry about...
Nyizsa
Soulfire wrote:
Stick isn't bad, but it's one more thing to worry about...

Actually auto transmission is one more thing to worry about! The maintenance and repair is much more expensive than that of the manual one.
cfackler
I much prefer to drive a stick shift car. My father forced me to learn on stick shift and I'm thankful he did....while learning was tough, the rewards are well worth it. I also think stick shift is more fun to drive.
silliman
When I first learned to drive a car, it was on a standard shift vehicle. It only took a few tries to finally get used to where the friction point was on the clutch.

Driving standard shift vehicle is fun, especially if it's a big, bad-a** truck.

That being said, driving a stick shift vehicle where I live is absolutely crazy. For example, it takes me nearly 1 1/2 hours to drive to work every day. The average speed is between stopped-to-20 mph. Driving is stop and go traffic at slow speeds is really tiring on the leg that operates the clutch.

At that point, it ceases to be "Mario Andretti" fun.
Kaneda
Yeah, as many others have said, manual transmission is the standard in Europe, and hence, yes, girls use it too (and why wouldn't they?). I've only ever met two people who drive an automatic, both handicapped - seems to be mainly for disabled people - and non-handicapped Americans (j/k). Wink

I have license for both motorcycle and car, and whenever I sink as low as getting in a car Wink (I really can't stand cars - bulky and clumsy vehicles - but must admit they're more practical in one or two cases), I wouldn't want an automatic shift. No, it's not one more thing to worry about - you barely think about it unless you have to. It's one more thing to give you a feel for your driving. Tried an automatic a couple of times, and I really don't feel like I'm driving. Razz
ilang
welcome everyone
goutha
Manual transmission is the standard in Europe. In north america, automatic transmission in the most present. I don't think that there's a difference in driver's sex. Then gils and boys use both... it depends on price. automatic is a little bit expensive then manual. I think that it's more a question of $$$.
Brakdűr
ocalhoun wrote:
Driving a "stick" is only difficult in very large trucks. (Where the clutch spring offers considerable resistance.)

Why? The gear in trucks is pneumatic, so you don´t have any problems. (Thinking before wiriting would be handy)
Brakdűr
goutha wrote:
Manual transmission is the standard in Europe. In north america, automatic transmission in the most present. I don't think that there's a difference in driver's sex. Then gils and boys use both... it depends on price. automatic is a little bit expensive then manual. I think that it's more a question of $$$.

Right, and automativ vars use more patrol (but even this isn´t important to americans Smile)

Greets
Crackster
Hi im from england and practically everyone drives "stick" as u call it we just call it manual
Gieter
Crackster wrote:
Hi im from england and practically everyone drives "stick" as u call it we just call it manual

I live in Belgium and also practically everyone "drives" stick too. Driving stick is a bit of a ambigious word however. Smile I don't think driving stick isn't that hard, you just have to get used to it. And women are known for being better able to do several things at the same time Wink
hahame
mjohnson wrote:

what is shift stick drive in ur civil language
tkcy
Girls driving automatic make the roads a safer place. Cos majority of my female friends can't really dirve on an auto, God knows what will happen if they drive a manual. Cheers! Smile
Gieter
It just takes a lot of practice, and then you get used to it. It's not because you're a girl you can't drive stick, not at all. Here in Belgium all girls drive stick (still hate that expression), and there may be some problems in the beginning but they get used to it, just like guys have to get used to it.

Automatic isn't that safe too, in Germany an old man crashed into a market because of an accident with the automatic gear. I don't know the precise facts, but I think the wanted to go backwards, but he went forwards (because he put the automatic in the wrong position), and he started panicking so much and wasn't used to automatic that it all went wrong. It's all about getting used to the gear I think. Wink
cazlun
I am learning to drive at the moment in France with a stick shift, and it really isn't hard, just a case of listening to your engine. Takes a little bit of getting used to, but thats the same for most people when they are learning to drive. I have never tried to drive an automatic, but here, if you pass you driving license with an automatic car then you are not allowed to drive a stick shift unless you pass the test again.
GARY6943
Wish my girl would just learn to drive for starters...
startsomething
should gender really make a difference? I mean, I know pleanty of women here in the us that use manuals. It's not like they can't or shouldn't use them. Unless of course your one of those conservative type jerks who can't change.
lit-diversion
I'm a man, and I can't drive a manual transmission vehicle.

There, I've admitted it. Embarassed
spook13
I drive a stick shift. I love it. You have more control over what the car is doing, saves you a bit of gas, and is fun to do. I'm a girl, and 17. I would chose manual over automatic any day.
kerryworkman
Why does it matter? A car, truck, or motorcycle is just a mode of transportation. A way to get from one place to another. Stick shift or automatic is just a matter of prefrence, in some cases it just depends on what you were using when you first learned to drive. Your sex deffinately shouldn't make any differance in which you choose. It's not like it is a prerequesite to be a man in order to drive using a standard transmission. I personally like both (automatic / stick) they have their on individual advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the control and handling of a stick shift car when performance is important, but when I am stuck in traffic for hours going to and from work I much prefer the freedom of an automatic no thinking just break and gas, plus it leaves the hands free for whatever. Smile

Find which one YOU like, and drive it until the wheels fall off, who cares what anyone else thinks.
Garner
I just had a discussion about this with a female friend of mine. She had to drive a automatic this weekend. She had trouble driving that. Kept slamming the brakes, being so used to using the clutch between gears. We are in EU.
standready
I learned how to drive using a manual transmission and my mother was my teacher. She even taught technics I used in drag racing and road race course driving. I enjoy the control I have driving a manual. Manual transmissions require more concentration on your driving than with an automatic.
chi0
Wow. Rampant racism and sexism in this thread.

I am a woman and I love driving manual cars. I'm forced to drive an automatic car in Japan because it's near-impossible to find a manual, and I absolutely hate it. You have no control over the car!

And considering I am a woman, and could drive the pants off of a lot of guys (have done both advanced and defensive driving courses, and done rally driving), I really think you should leave the sexism to your wanking sessions with the boys, please.
Psycho_X52
"The woman behind the wheel is a manace to the society, nomatter of sex!" - said a tv star (who is a woman, btw)

Where I live (E Europe) there's a lack of performant automatic transmission. Drivers are a bit old school lovers. So woman (those who don't use the reverse) must comply.

About driving a truck: local bus drivers use the clutch just for 1st gear. Then they shift without the clutch, because it's cheaper to repair the gear box than to replace the clutch.
I drove one Very Happy ... and the clutch wasn't very precise, but the heavy weight (10-11Tons) and the big engine made it start smoothly Smile