FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What has your cat done for you lately?

S3nd K3ys
Since we moved out to the country, my 3 cats have been loving it. (I'm nervous about coyotes, though). They've brought me no less than 2 dozen mice. (I've helped them catch several, and had to catch a few myself cuz they couldn't).

Last month we found a (rather large) gopher in a puddle of blood just outside the cat door. (They couldn't get it in the door, probably a good thing).

The other night, my wife woke me to remove a mouse they had trapped under the bathroom sink. Peeking around the corner to get a glimps, I saw part of it's back. It was huge and I couldn't even see the whole thing. Shocked

I grabbed a towel and when I finally got it out, lo-and-behold, it was a RABBIT, easily half the size of the smallest cat. Usually I take the cats out with the mouse so they can keep playing. This time my wife asked me not to. Cat's were bummed, but I was proud of them.
Saber
wow, I have had a few rabbits as pets, and I found out the hard way... a rabbit like anyother anime when stuck will fight... and rabbits can take a good bites out of you, and/or claw you. But they still make fun pets.
ocalhoun
My cat catches lizards for me.
Other than that, though, it only functions as a solar power collection unit.
(It just sits in the window.)
Loghete
My cat did its needs on a plant, and the plant died. Great. Razz
Rhubarb
You guys need to start treating you cat like a person and maybe on occasion get them high on catnip. I for one have intense play sessions with my cat, not only to stimulate his natural instincs but also to teach him the diffirence between right and wrong to a certain degree.
As for doing things for me, he wakes me up every morning to go to work and feed him.
gr3gg3r
Because my cat is an indoor cat, he doesn't have many chances to hunt... but he is a natural hunter. Whenever we let him out on the porch and a lizard accidently gets in, he mutilates it. Blood usually goes everywhere. Also, he attacks me by hiding around corners then jumping out like a bear with his paws spread out. He doesn't make me bleed (much) and its actually pretty fun to tease him into a fighting stance. Smile
Blaster
My cat annoys me, claws me, drinks out of my fish tank. Yea that is my cat for you.
matt87
Ya, cats are actually pretty smart. I use to have a cat a long time ago that woke me up every mourning whenever it needed to get out. But it was a long time ago and I use to have a bunk bed. The cat would find a way to get up on top of my bad to wake me up. How? I have no idea.
riv_
My cat too is a mighty hunter. I'm kind of proud of his conquests.
He's brought home squirrels and garter snakes and more than his share of mice. Lately, he has to hunt outdoors for mice, because he's managed to rid our ancient house of all signs of rodent! My neighbours are pleased that he comes to visit, and keeps the critters at bay for them, too.
Coyotes are a concern here, too. Our last cat (also a terrific hunter) was carried off by foxes.
Cats are the best. Very Happy
earthchild
You must have some pretty descent sized cats. She has never brought anything as big as agopher or a rabbit, but she has brought lizards, mice, birds and c0ckroaches, yum. Well atleast we never had to use any c0ckroach poison when we lived in the tropics - we'd just call the kitty and she'd have a ball.
jaysen
i'm not sure size has much to do with it... my old cat sandy wasn't huge, but every dog in the area was scared of him. He lived to fight, and he would come home torn up and brusied... the worse he was, the happier he was. i guess thats what you get when you raise a cat who looks up to a rottewieler as a role model.

lived to be 8 yrs old... hunting on my old farmyard until he finally met his match... not totally sure but i think it was one of the coyotes... he made it home after one run in with it, although beat up pretty good and happy as a clam, but then the next time, he dissapeared.....

may he rest in pieces....
Pikokola
It's pregnant and born 3 little cats, all of them are black as their mother Smile

I love them all Very Happy
Mrs Lycos
Well I have SEVEN cats... four of them of about a year, and three babies from one of the big ones (she had six, we gave away three already).
What my cats do for us is make all my family laugh.
They keep playing, climbing my courtains, and sometimes eating our food (well that sometimes annoys my husband Rolling Eyes ).
I love to play fights with them. My husband taught them to drink from the tap, and eat catfood from the bag, and now they almost feed for themselves....
I really love my cats, I have a big orange one, two black ones, and a lince-like one. Then two babies are lince-like too and a blacky one.
Trying to teach them to go and fetch things like dogs, still not successful...
Blaster
Mrs Lycos wrote:
Well I have SEVEN cats... four of them of about a year, and three babies from one of the big ones (she had six, we gave away three already).

You must be a cat lover. Yea my cat runs at the site of a door open. And I don't mean run out the door i mean away from the door. He hates it out there. I will be sitting at my computer and it jumps up and hits my arm and I go to pull my arm back and I hit my arm on the post of my chair.
gonzo
Cats are only fun as kittens. I'm waiting for genetically engineered perpetual kittens
Vrythramax
Besides coughing up furrballs and eating my paycheck I can't think of a thing it's done for me.

My wife loves it cuz it falls asleep on her lap....must be a chick thing.

If it really wanted to do something for it would get off it's lazy behind (which always seems to be in MY chair) and go out and find a paying job!!!!

Personally I think it would make a tasty sandwich Twisted Evil
greenjm90
mine's just there for a cuddle 24/7
izcool
I have 2 cats and they've both brought me several mice over the past few years. My bedroom is on the upstairs part of the house (with the 2 other bedrooms) and I found out that mice were climbing up the drain pipe for the bathtub (which is also upstairs) and got into the house that way. I believe overnight I seen probably 3 mice around my room and both of my cats were at them all night. It's quite of an amazing feeling to see that something so cuddly could hunt them down and fix the problem for me. The cats were after one of them (one time) and weren't able to kill it, so I grabbed it somehow (with a paper towl, mind you) and drowned it. Another time I seen one in the bathtub that just crawled out of the drain and drowned it by turning on the water, then flushing it's dead corpse to get rid of it. Since then, the mice problem hasn't come back. Both of my cats are afraid of the 2 bigger dogs downstairs (as they're probably 20 times the size they are) but they're still alive. My dad was joking to me about the cats saying "How many slices do you want your nose cut into ?" in reference to the dogs lol.

It's not necessarily a chick kind of thing for cats to sleep with you, as many times throughout my life, my cats have slept with me. My one older cat Tiggy would used to walk all over my back when I'm asleep "massaging" me by walking back and forth, which I think is a term called "kneading" if I'm not mistaken. She doesn't do that any more, but that's OK. My other cat plops down next to me when I'm heading to bed, it's quite cool. Razz Both of my cats purr only after a few seconds of touching their heads or bodies.

- Mike.
paradox
My cat like to eat my fish. Before i moved i had a very nice reef tank and every few days when i got home i found a very expensive dead fish on the floor. At first i thought they were jumping out, cuz they do do that, so i put a top on it. Then on day when i was chilling at home i say my cat open the top and take a fish out. That was when i knew it was time for a lock.
yule
My domestic cat extremely can seize the mouse, the neighbor all praises it.
lyndonray
mine is a psychotic psychopath who hunts me. However, he did kill a mouse the other day. We were all extremely proud.
DoctorBeaver
I had a cat when I lived in Africa a few years ago. It took great delight in bringing eviscerated geckos to me. There was 1 particular occasion when it brought me a live gecko. It had the head hanging out 1 side of its mouth and the tail hanging out of the other. It sat in front of me looking really pleased with itself, then suddenly snapped its jaw shut. The gecko's head and tail fell to the floor and the tail started wriggling off across the lino.
Petee
My cat is cool. He is old and fat too (Like 17 years I think?). Yeah, he spends most of his day sleeping on our couch or armchair. When he isn't sleeping he is meowing almost constantly at us for something. If you don't pay attention he will begin to claw the back of your legs. The coolest thing I think he's ever done (Although I'm sure my mom wouldn't agree) was he caught a chipmunk and brought it in through his cat door to show us his prize. When he dropped it on the floor it got up and ran around the house until it found the open patio door.
bloody_grunt
2 of my cats have been eaten by coyotes. One of them was supposed to be an indoor cat but she liked going out side to much, and now see what happened to her.

Anyways my cats are just really lazy. They don't do anything. except sit around. I still love them any way
DoctorBeaver
bloody_grunt wrote:
Anyways my cats are just really lazy. They don't do anything. except sit around. I still love them any way

Cats aren't lazy - they just practice energy conservation.
CrimsonStrange
Queenie (female Manx, 4 years old) brought in a rabbit for breakfast and proceeded to eat it under my computer desk one morning.
Nothing like listening to the crunch of rabbit bones while scrambling some eggs... Laughing

Queenie's strictly an indoor cat now, but during her outdoor glory days, she was known to hunt down squirrels, large bugs, lizards, mice, small snakes, chipmunks, and birds of all kinds.

One of the reasons I started keeping her indoors was because of the detrimental effect she was having on the stray dog population around the neighborhood.
She had a bad habit of enticing the dogs to chase her, then luring them into oncoming traffic, timing it just right so she made it across the road safely, while they... well, you get the idea.
Boo hoo!
She managed to get rid of a Dalmation and 2 mutts that way...
riv_
paradox wrote:
My cat like to eat my fish. Before i moved i had a very nice reef tank and every few days when i got home i found a very expensive dead fish on the floor. At first i thought they were jumping out, cuz they do do that, so i put a top on it. Then on day when i was chilling at home i say my cat open the top and take a fish out. That was when i knew it was time for a lock.

That's funny. My last cat (who unfortunately died of old age last summer) was such a whimp. We had a fish that kept jumping out of the tank (again, the very expensive one, why is that?) and the cat wast terrified! One day, the fish jumped out at just the right moment to land on the poor cat. Kitty was so scared he ran and hid and didn't come out until the next morning!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Quite a contrast to the mighty hunter we have now!
meaniegeanies
The last thing my cat done for was to pee on my books! I f**king hated it!

Anybody knows what to do with a male cat in heat wanting to mark his territory? Question Question Question
timpoff
Our tomcat Woodie ran off with one of the kids hamsters. We found the cat on the stairs staring at the little guy, who was otherwise unharmed. Woodie just doesnt have the killer instinct, which may explain all of the mice that we have. Very Happy
thiamshui
in my country, we are not allowed to keep cats in flats.. the excuse by the government was cats are nomadic in nature and can be a nuisance, makes noise, etc.. i keep a dog.. what is it doing for me? well, nothing much.. a cuddle or two, barking and making a whole load of noise..
manhattan<3
The best my cat did for me was probably killing this huge cocoroach when I was preoccupied in the bathroom... Razz
Jaiye
What has my cat done to me recently?

DawningLight
Well mine just threw up in the hallway Evil or Very Mad
Any volunteers for clean up duty?
withaar
They are just good company. The smallest is a manx and will go out for the first time this summer. I am looking forward to sparrows probably - it is too cold here in the winter for many mice to be around - certainly no roaches. The small one is good at doing backflips during playtime.
biggyb
wow lol... when it comes to crazyness my cat is number 1... like 5 mins ago my cat was sitting in the chair next to me staring at me for likwe 10 mins then sudnley pounced on my head knocking over my drink... then when it got wet he started to lick himself dry instead of shaking off lol... then we was clearing it up (the mess on the floor the drink) and my cat stod on the broom and as i was clearing it up he was riding the broom... lol. and once i was sleeping and then when i woke up my cat was lookin at me standing on my chest... lol out of instinct i jumped outof bed and almostt killed the ******.
ladyrobina
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Since we moved out to the country, my 3 cats have been loving it. (I'm nervous about coyotes, though). They've brought me no less than 2 dozen mice. (I've helped them catch several, and had to catch a few myself cuz they couldn't).

Last month we found a (rather large) gopher in a puddle of blood just outside the cat door. (They couldn't get it in the door, probably a good thing).

The other night, my wife woke me to remove a mouse they had trapped under the bathroom sink. Peeking around the corner to get a glimps, I saw part of it's back. It was huge and I couldn't even see the whole thing. :shock:

I grabbed a towel and when I finally got it out, lo-and-behold, it was a RABBIT, easily half the size of the smallest cat. Usually I take the cats out with the mouse so they can keep playing. This time my wife asked me not to. Cat's were bummed, but I was proud of them.

I quite like cats even though I do not presently own one. One aspect nobody seems to be concerned about is the adverse effect cats have on the wildlife. How about putting a bell on it's collar when it goes outside? You can always set traps for mice if they are a problem.
Wild cats have become a huge problem in Australia. They are just domestic cats which have been abandoned, but some grow to twice their normal size when they go feral. Because they breed to fast they are totally out of control.
SusieSmacktard
My cats are lazy and spoiled. One is laying atop the computer monitor, and the other is sulking in my bedroom(she's still annoyed about Sage, our new dog). However, they know that at 6am every morning, one of us will wake up and feed them. So right at 6am, they hop up on the bed, and usually sit on my chest until I sit up or shove them off.
Catastrophic Fairy
My kitties are acturally very handy. :3 Particularly Mr. Skittles. o.o Skittles is a great modle for pictures, and also, if I start to fall asleep with my glasses on, he will pull them off my face with his teeth, and take them over to the nightstand, and wait for me to open the drawer so he can drop them in there. :3 He also loves to play with milk ties, which is a smile bringing cuteness, since his daddy (whom died last year) used to play with milk ties and make-up brushes. He also knows how to pull the caps off most milk cartons. :3

Too bad he won't get that darned mouse. Rolling Eyes
AdamantMonk
I have 4 cats right now but I used to have 5 (she got a little freaked out after a bear dropped by for a visit, then ran off like a week later) they all tend to catch alot of field mice, gophers, birds and rabbits.

The largest (the Mike Tyson of cats) is like 15 Lbs, all muscle (he makes up almost two of the smallest, who isn't that small) and his meow sounds like a kitten (he also likes to roll around in the dirt because he's pure white and can't stand it.). Then there's the fat one. (about the same weight but she's older and just tends to lay around) Then the dysfunctional one (he had under-developed legs when we got him) who is an exceptional hunter and has brought in rabbits larger than him. Then the small pissy one (she's pretty fast when hunting though.)

Oddly enough, they have learned to take all their game into the bathtub (easy cleanup when all that's left is blood smear) as a means of keeping smaller rodents entraped.
Crinoid
Peeing male cat in heat can be neutered, and if the smell of the human male in the home is not strong (like sweating), it shouldn't contribute own smell to overpower the smell of another male. Had this in our home, it worked with some effort from our side.

What my cat done:
- Brought the live mice at home and lost it. It lived there, ignoring humans completely, for a few days - until found way out.
- Works as alarm: open door in the winter, water leak from the aquarium. Fish, jumped off aquarium, was saved in time thanks to the cat. When he wants to be heard, he can do that.
- Likes human company and being in touch. Talks too much, loudly, and insists on participation in conversations, tried to introduce obedience training for humans, but it passed with time.
- Guards home as a dog, incredible sense of duty. Protects domesticated humans from being taken over by other cats Laughing .

Sometimes I think that the highest achievement of the feline civilization was domestication of primates, who can scratch the back, dry coat after returning from drizzle rain, open cans with food, react on demands, pet them and love it Wink
Crazy_Canuck
My cat, who I just recently had to have put down, taught me how to love a cat. I'd never had cats before, and Leo was a feral cat who needed a home and he chose me. Thanks to him, I learned all about the special, subtle love of a cat and I miss him very much. Smile

Maybe I will get another cat sometime, but Leo was very special.

Marcuzzo
I live in an appartement so my cat can only go out on the balcony.
as both my girlfriend and me work all day he has the empire to himself and as you can imagine. he is as spoiled as can be.
now, every time I leave the balcony doors open so he can go out for some fresh air I need to watch out, because he will digg the sand out of the flower barge.
next time I catch him doing it I'll take a picture and post it here.

also... this is funny: he doesn't like to drink water from his bowl, instead he prefers to drink it from the tap. here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmlaUXLn3c

here is another video where he jumps to catch a ball
deanhills
I don't own my own cat, however the compound I am living in has adopted some communal cats. They get the occasional pat on the head from everyone, and relative to how cats are generally treated outside the compound are in very safe territory inside the compound. Cats in general in the Middle East are regarded as unclean, so aren't as revered as they are in Canada. Quite a number of expats have however set up some shelters for them and try and feed the wild ones as well.
Ashtray
My cat's a really good company. That's all I need.
PatTheGreat42
I, uh, petted my cat. Does that count?