FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FPS down on Games

Xeniczone
Yeh, I like to play halo pc and doom 3 and nfs most wanted on my computer. all of my games run fine except halo it runs at 18fps. I use a Nvidia Geforce fx5200 and a pentium 4 2.2ghz I was looking at building a new computer but I wanted to see if I could make this one work first.
Pikokola
strange... 18FPS, that's damn slow.. and I never heard such a problem like this one, maybe the Halo (the game) didn't installed properly, or maybe your PC eat too much Ram at the same time.

Try to stop another running program first...
chiragcoolboy
Halo. I think it is time for u to upgrade to a new gfx card. Jst add a gfx card and ur games will run smoothly. Tell us ur budget so we can help u in choosing a gfx card. No need to buy a new pc.
Xeniczone
Yeh, but a pentium 4 2.2ghz is rather slow. I was looking at a AMD Athlon FX-55. With a Nvidia 6800gtx I think it was called. Because this comptuer is old and limited with it's 8x AGP bus. I will get a screen of the game and me playing using fraps and you will see the fps in the corner. what I don't under stand is the game seems to run smooth even running at 18fps or sometimes lower.
gh0stface
Pretty much your video card is your bottle neck at the moment. The GeForce FX5200 series was pretty much a failre from the nVidia line of video cards.

However if you have the money, more power to you in building that powerful system! Smile
root
Do you have Vertical Sync enabled????
Xeniczone
dont really know what that Is but I do have another gpx card laying around it is a ati radion 9200SE. Would it help.

I'm looking at building that beast of a system but right now I need to get a working computer till I decide to buy it. I'm not sure if I want to take all that money out on that computer because the money it takes just to buy the processor I could buy a 32" LCD TV, and I perfer the 32" instead of a better computer expecally if there is really nothing wrong with this one.

So, would a ATI radion 9200SE be better then the Nvidia FX5200 or not I don't want to spend time takeing this computer apart it takes to long.
gh0stface
The Radeon 9200SE might be marginally better. I'm not sure how much of an FPS increase you'll see though.
Bones
Are you talking about Halo 1 or 2? Because if it is Halo 1, and you can play Doom3 fine, then it is something about Halo that is the problem. Doom 3 is much more system intense than Halo 1. I don't know about Halo 2 because I thought Halo 1 sucked so bad that I never tried 2.
Your pc should be more than enough to run Halo 1 though.
IMHO - stick to D3, it's much better

Xeniczone wrote:
Yeh, I like to play halo pc and doom 3 and nfs most wanted on my computer. all of my games run fine except halo it runs at 18fps. I use a Nvidia Geforce fx5200 and a pentium 4 2.2ghz I was looking at building a new computer but I wanted to see if I could make this one work first.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Are you talking about Halo 1 or 2?

no to be mean but seen halo 2 isn't on pc I would beleave it is halo 1. I HATE the xbox. Twisted Evil

Idea PS2 Exclamation
Bones
Sorry, not a Halo fan, Halo 1 was bad enough for me. Your problem must be with Halo then I assume because Doom 3 is MUCH more system and graphic intense, if it runs fine then your system should be able to handle Halo no problem.

Although it isnt much help, you arent missing much IMO.

My system runs Halo 1 fine with
AMD Athlon 2500+ (1.85Ghz)
512M RAM PC2700
and an Nvidia FX5500 (128M vid card) although I have run it on the same system with an old Nvidia GeForce MX 440 64M vid card (pretty low end card)

So your pc 'should' run it fine.

Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
Are you talking about Halo 1 or 2?

no to be mean but seen halo 2 isn't on pc I would beleave it is halo 1. I HATE the xbox. Twisted Evil

Idea PS2 Exclamation
Vanquish
Dude, you said the game runs fine but your fps is low. Why should that bother you if your game runs fine?
Xeniczone
It boothers me because the game "SEEMS" to run fine.

I'm annoyed because I get a ping of 67 (average) and I lag sometimes during the game. And I know it isn't the server because I have a ping of 67. The only other option is it's my computer.

Sometimes when I play the game my computers pauses all together witch is weird because when windows has an issue it usally gives you the blue screen of death so im guessing the game has droped completely to 1fps.