FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Un-Favorite author --- post yours here

Disco_Dance_monkey
Okay, post you least favorite book/author here... cause im curious if anyone agrees with me.

My least favorite author has to be Charles Dickens, even though he is s'posed to be great.

I mean, I like his stories and all, or at least the idea of them, I just can't get past his syntax and his long-winded overbearing style (which I guess gets classified under syntax)

I've tried reading A Tale of Two Cities, Nicholas Nickleby and... yeah, didn't get past the third chapter (if I got their at all)
benwhite
Syntax has more to do with the grammatical functions of constituents and construction of sentences. Style is a separate issue. One can have perfect syntax but poor style. Less frequently but still possible is good style but poor syntax.

P.S. There's already a 'worst book' thread on this very page.
rip8fan1
I'd have to say Shakespeare - I just don't understand how to read him I guess.
PoweredDeath
Quote:

Haha, you took the words right out of my mouth, I can't stand having to read Shakespeare for English class and writing essays on it, it's so pointless and confusing.
IceCameron
rip8fan1 wrote:

Says the unreadable.
Disco_Dance_monkey
@ rip8fan1 - ooooh forgot about him... He is definatly second on my list.
@ IceCameron - ???
paradox
My favorate author if H.G. Wells. I loved the Time Machine and i loved the war of the worlds brodcast
bloody_grunt
My favorite author of all time would be eric nylund
his books are amazing I also like
william C. Dietz

and of course J.K. rowling
nopaniers
Has to be Tom Clancy. He only has one character. Propoganda at its worst.
Tasukii
It has to be Dan Brown, because Da Vinci Code is full of untrue facts and the others books just suck. I hate his style
SunburnedCactus
Tasukii wrote:
It has to be Dan Brown, because Da Vinci Code is full of untrue facts and the others books just suck. I hate his style

I agree. Too much BS for my liking.
nopaniers
Dan Brown... Yes, good point. It's so annoying reading things which are not true, even if it is fiction.
Blaster
Gary pulson. (how ever you spell it)
His books are just so bouring. They dont' interest me at all.
Vanwaer
I can't stand Hemingway. Not enough description for me in books such as The Old Man and the Sea and his plots just drive me insane. Sure, it's all a giant metaphor for life, or whatnot, but can't we get the point with something other than some crazy old man perservering to catch a stupid fish? Evil or Very Mad

Smile

-Vanwaer
Vrythramax
Would have to say Peter Straub (Ghost Story, Black House, others), he waits until a critical point in the story then goes to a 4 or 5 chapter flash-back into the charators history. He has done it in every book of his I have (tried) to read. It's so annoying, you get to a good point...bang - flashback....and it takes him so long to get back to the story that any significance that the previous climatic point may have had, is irretrievably lost.

Don't they call that "Bait and Switch"?
ylmun
Nicholson Baker.

I read the Fermata and I think I was scarred for life because it was so bad. The plot had holes and after a while it became so boring. It had a healthy dose of sex and I was bored! Now that's bad.
meet in rio
Cliff McNish.

*dies*

I resent having to read Jane Austen for school; I love her style, but hate her plots.
Dean_The_Great
I would have to say Dean Koontz. I don't really like his style, although I can see how it would be appealing to others.

And as for Shakespeare, you really have to see it. Having it read does not do it justice, as it was never meant to be read and analysed. It was performed when he wrote it and it should be seen, not read, now. (Although once you embrace it enough the reading is quite enjoyable. I would start with something light and funny such as "Comedy of Errors".l
Mumpay
I can't really stand stephen king. many of his books just are written way too crudely and vulgar, but also there's this pretentious "I'm the best author in the world" attitude in his style that really turns me off.
Garnet
Vanwaer wrote:
I can't stand Hemingway. Not enough description for me in books such as The Old Man and the Sea and his plots just drive me insane. Sure, it's all a giant metaphor for life, or whatnot, but can't we get the point with something other than some crazy old man perservering to catch a stupid fish? Evil or Very Mad

Smile

-Vanwaer

The first time I've ever been acutely aware that I'm gradually dying was reading that book. The Old Man and the Sea...terrible book in my opinion.

My least favourite author would be Sarah Dunant for writing "The Birth of Venus." I was seriously lied to about how bad that book was.
This is probably asking for it, but I didn't like SE Hinton's The Outsiders, even though it's considered a classic.
drkarthi
Robin Cook
Though his ideas are great i dont like his style.
HoboPelican
Lots of good choices here. But I'm gonna toss out Moby Dick for your consideration. Maybe I missed something there, but OMG what is the appeal? I kept reading it night after night, waiting to read something mildly interesting but it wasn't until the last few chapters that they even see the great whale. I learned way more than I wanted to know about how to catch, kill and render whales....

Anymore, if I come across someone who is having trouble sleeping, I give them my copy of the book. Hasn't worked everytime, but it has helped quite a few people get the more recuperative sleep they needed Smile