FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gmail?

Solugon
I went to the Gmail website and read a lot of stuff about it, but I wanted to get some opinions from people who actually use it. Is it useful? Do you like it [more than Hotmail]?

And of course, would someone be generous enough to send me a Gmail invite? Razz

(Please tell me if this is spam or just not allowed, thanks. Neutral)
Jack_Hammer
Very useful for me, and you can also get a MSN net pass with it, so it's all good.
raver
Since i found out about google's crappy privacy policy i never went back. I`m sticking to my email from my job Cool
Jayfarer
It's not extraordinary, but I like it better than my old Yahoo. The greatest strength, for me, is that it's not cluttered. But that's such a minor advantage, all the other things they add are almost inconsequential.
Solugon
Well, from the screenshots, I like it a ton better just because it's lighter than Hotmail's darkish blue.

Could anyone send me a Gmail invite so I could try this out? Very Happy I'll go add my email to my profile...
boringest
Solugon wrote:
Could anyone send me a Gmail invite so I could try this out? Very Happy I'll go add my email to my profile...

ok sent =)

after using Gmail it really feels different from the rest of the free online webmail. try it and you'll see.
Solugon
Does Google reveal or use my last name in any way that I wouldnt want it to? That's my main concern...
iridios
Solugon wrote:
Does Google reveal or use my last name in any way that I wouldnt want it to? That's my main concern...

So, don't tell them your last name.
Reaper
Gmail is ok if you dont mind a pretty boring template design on their part. And as far as I know there is no email provider on the internet that can tell if you are giving a bull s h i t name or not Smile So just make one up like Totalmoron or Evil smily somthing along those lines Wink
coolclay
GMAIL= best email provide ever. You don't need an invite anymore.
turbopowerdmaxsteel
Courtesy of POP3 Support, Faster Speed, Better Spam filtering, banner less navigation and the best of them all- ITS FREE, there's no match for GMail.
Saber
Also If anyone else needs a Invite, the rest of us tht allready have it should have a good few hundred to give away.. so just ask..
Loghete
I think GMail is great.
1. 2,5 gb of storage (steadily growing)
2. Fast
3. No ads (except from some google text ads)
4. It's free Very Happy
TeK
I love Gmail. The amount of space is awesome, its fast, the search mail tool is great. and it's free!
bluedragon
And they just added Google Talk into the Gmail interface! Genius! It's very simple, very practical, and COMPLETELY free unlike Yahoo! and Hotmail where you have to pay up if you want the extra features such as POP3, which is freely-available with Gmail.

I personally think that efficient internet based e-mail such as Gmail will eventually remove e-mail from the user PC interface altogether. It means I can get rid of any e-mail program I have on my computer and just use Firefox. So wonderful!
James007
For those Google Ads and everything about Google:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=743&application=firefox

Only for FireFox Users!

James Smile
**Timbuk2**
I love gmail

There are good notifiers you can get for Firefox that will notify you as soon as an email comes. And there is a really good extension for Firefox as well called "Gmail Space", it allows you to upload files through an FTP look screen (the one with the two panes, and you drag and drop, or press the arrow) and it allows you to put files on your gmail space (2.6GB), which is great, as it saves room on your hard drive Smile
James007
**Timbuk2** wrote:
And there is a really good extension for Firefox as well called "Gmail Space", it allows you to upload files through an FTP look screen (the one with the two panes, and you drag and drop, or press the arrow) and it allows you to put files on your gmail space (2.6GB), which is great, as it saves room on your hard drive Smile

They don't like it, but... who cares? Very Happy
Size limit 10MB though...
**Timbuk2**
James007 wrote:
**Timbuk2** wrote:
And there is a really good extension for Firefox as well called "Gmail Space", it allows you to upload files through an FTP look screen (the one with the two panes, and you drag and drop, or press the arrow) and it allows you to put files on your gmail space (2.6GB), which is great, as it saves room on your hard drive Smile

They don't like it, but... who cares? Very Happy
Size limit 10MB though...

LOL!! I use it alot (not for big files, maybe just MP3's and pictures). What I woud do is upload something that I want on my home computer, and then when I need that thing at work I would just use Gmail Space to download it again

And the speeds are as fast as your upload/download speeds, and I have broadband, so its all good Very Happy
psycosquirrel
Google's privacy policy is terrible (I think someone already said that though). They can actually trace emails through the ads displayed when they are viewed. I use Yahoo... I don't know about their policy, but they seem good. Anyways, I have nothing to hide, so if they want to read my mail, they can go ahead.
placebogirl
I might be opening up a can of worms here, but isn't privacy on the net a delusion anyway? I mean, I have (I think) three email accounts. One of them is hosted by my workplace/university, and if tech support really wanted to they could sit down and read all that email. Then I have my 2mb hotmail account that I use for spam, which is run by Microsoft, who aren't exactly a model of a responsible company either. Then I have my gmail account, with the dodgy privacy policy.... a policy which probably doesn't give them any more powers than tech support or Microsoft.

It's fast, it's loads of space, and it is free. And the user interace isn't too bad. I reckon you can't really go wrong.
barkman
i agree, net-privacy ends up being a user issue. do what you can, and beyond that, be willing to learn the hard way, i suppose. kind of sad. anyway, isn't there a firefox extension that helps with some of the google/gmail privacy issues? customize-google, or something along those lines?
rocky
i really like google over hotmail or yahoo (last 2 i use only for the messenger)

ooh and about privacy over the internet ... there is not such thing ! Shocked
Nathan d
Gmail is a very good email service. And it's getting better all the time! One of the more recent features is google chat. Which means you can chat inside your email with any of your contacts. And it also has over 2695.692915 megabytes (and counting) of storage space.

If anyone needs an invite drop me an email at: [NOSPAM] nathantheprogrammer AT gmail.com[/NOSPAM]
our-trip-to-cotlands
I love G-Mail if anybody wants an invite I will offer now.
DawningLight
I have to say I love my gmail accounts.
I agree with all the positive points I have read, but, I would also add it has one of the best spam filters I have come across.
Picks up on 99.9% of all the junk and I think I have only once, found genuine mail filtered into it. That was right at the start of gmail too...so I have to rate it way above all the other free popular email
Mason11987
Quote:
Google's privacy policy is terrible (I think someone already said that though). They can actually trace emails through the ads displayed when they are viewed. I use Yahoo... I don't know about their policy, but they seem good. Anyways, I have nothing to hide, so if they want to read my mail, they can go ahead.

It says they can trace them? That's in the policy? I know a bot scans them for keywords to make ads POSSIBLY more useful to you. But they don't store contents in anyway. What is in their policy that isn't in yahoo's?

I LOVE gmail, there is no comparison with it.
aciminsk
What about goole talk? Does anybody use it? What are the pros and cons comparing with other instant messangers like ICQ?
PoweredDeath
Gmail is THE best email service with over 2 gigs, the talk feature is really cool which allows you to talk to otehr gmail users. Also you can use gmail drive, a program that lets you use those +2 gigs to store files.
guissmo
I dropped Yahoo and stuck with my Gmail Account!

I have about three or four active ones but I just use one account because all mail goes there and I can reply using a different account using the main. It's like the multi-account whatever feature.

And it's constantly gaining features! Cool, huh?

Hotmail and Yahoo is TOO slow for me because I'm on a dial-up.
GMail reacts in less than a minute when you click a message.
TheFaction
i use gmail for the accts and then use thunderbird to retrieve my e-mails. got a nice interface i d/l'd and its much easier than having to go to the page all the time
Stupid_Cow
I use it for a year or so, and I really like it...
Nice and easy user-interface, well over enough space, VERY good spam filter...
And now you also have a nifty little Google-Talk built in to your account...
Not very useful, but very nice... :}
Apart from that... It's light... It doesn't bomb you with ads or with "heavy" graphic - so it's also very fast...
And - well - it google, and we like google :}
tdb18
I use it for a year and I just LOVE gmail!

But in The General Chat Forum someone started a thread with this interesting question: Do you believe that there is a possibility that al the accounts will be deleted for any reason?
I was wondering this too because some days ago I tried to enter it for almost half an hour and it sended error messages (different errors)! I was really upset and afraid, I have some important information on my gmail account (as many others have too).... Is gmail still a beta? Should we be worried?

kisses
time_ar
It has clean interface. But email is like your address, you don't wanna change much once your connection is established. Unless you have a very good reason for that. It's for me though.
Scorpio
It is really good.
Believe me , I dont talk about the space only but also the security and features. And it is not filled with dozens of glamorous ads like yahoo.
cfackler
I love gmail. A friend sent me an invite back in the days when everyone only got a very few. Now I have three gmail accounts, one of which is used completely for spam. Although the gmail.com interface is basic, it gets the job done. However, I usually don't use it because I read my mail with the POP3 access and Mozilla Thunderbird.

I'd recommend gmail to anyone looking for a nice provider. There's tons of storage, and Google keeps introducing many new cool features.

I've also started using Google Talk, and I love it. My girlfriend goes to college an hour and a half away from me, and we chat everyday using Google Talk.

Google's innovations are stunning...check them out!
DCLXVI
i used to use gmail all the time... but lately i cant get it to load on any computer with any conection, so i use my shell account now as sdf.lonestar.org (which pwns in my opinion) or i use the old yahoo... yahoo sux, but it works...
4ndY
I use gmail. And i redirected all old email accounts on gmail, couse it has nice spam filter and it saves all mails - so if my comp lose somehow all data on it, mails will remain on safe google Smile

What about emial client? I use gmail via web interface (nicely done with AJAX) - only program that is always on is my web browser (FF), so in one tab there is always Gmail.
dips0502
Gmail has changed the way free email works. remember the day when yahoo gave only 6 mb free space. constantly worrying about which mail to keep and which ones to delete. gmail just keeps increasing everyday. wonder when they will stop increasing. features like pop account with no extra cost at all. i am slowly not using my yahoo account.
Arno v. Lumig
Personally I love GMail. It is banner-free, reliable and fast.

The spam filter is actually working too good. You just need the word "free" somewhere in the mail and it will be trown in the junk mail folder.

About the privacy: The is no such thing on the internet, and never fill in any information you want to keep private anywhere on the internet and you'll be safe. And, why would you want to keep your info private? As you can see my name is Arno van Lumig, look it op in the phonebook and you'll get more info like postal code, housenumber, phone number etc. What is wrong with that? Why would you try to stop people from knowing your name? I can understand that you don't want to tell everyone your mail address and some other info but things like I told before simple are public information.

Also google is the only mailserver I know that doesn't send the sender's IP in the headers, so it's actually harder to trace the sender of the mail.

Greetz, Arno
**Timbuk2**
I used to use hotmail, now I have completely converted to gmail Very Happy

Hotmail's spam filter is terrible. It is alright for getting the ones that are actually spam, but I had lots of friendly e-mails thrown in there, which is annoying. On one occasion, I got 9 e-mails from the same person (don't ask), and 4 of them went to my inbox, while the other 5 were in my junk Confused

Never had this problem with gmail, it puts thing in the right places Smile
Arno v. Lumig
@up

I don't really agree on that, GMail's spam filter filters lots of friendly mail, but it also leaves out the "real" spam. I don't really care, I always check my "junk" inbox aswell as my "no-spamm" inbox.

Greetz, Arno
bgbg
Solugon wrote:
I went to the Gmail website and read a lot of stuff about it, but I wanted to get some opinions from people who actually use it. Is it useful? Do you like it [more than Hotmail]?

And of course, would someone be generous enough to send me a Gmail invite? :P

(Please tell me if this is spam or just not allowed, thanks. :|)

Very useful and convenient service, but I can't get rid of a feeling that Google is getting too much power over people's data. There are lots of services that give you free large mail boxex (yahoo.com, walla.co.il (in Hebrew) , frihost etc) so I would suggest use an alternative (but please don't use Hotmail - it belongs to Mico$oft - another "evil empire" ;-) ).

Back to Gmail: there is a great site: http://www.google-watch.org which concentrates on the numerous problems with google in general and every google's service (including Gmail: http://www.google-watch.org/gmail.html ) - The most important problem with GMail is that if you delete a message, you cannot be sure that it's in fact deleted.

PS. post me a private message if you still want a Gmail invitaiton
eku53ru
I guess Gmail itself is okay; I've been using it ever since I happened to come by a free invitation to sign up from Google's main page. The organization concept is pretty interesting, but I don't like how it automatically "sorts" emails from the same address into a "conversation."

It also bugs me that it doesn't provide much of an option (if I'm wrong, please correct me) to what interface you can use, regardless of which one your computer/browser is capable of supporting. I love the HTML interface, but waiting for its normal one to load before switching it manually is quite a pain.
thiamshui
Gmail is big, fast and cool.. it's absolutely the best mail service out there!
budazz
i like it than any other email program Very Happy
Da Rossa
Gmail is perfect. No provider could be better. Throw your Outlook in the bin. It won't be necessary anymore. Very fast, no ads (except the text ones), shortcuts, search criteria, very large storage space, good looking, very customizable... I challenge you to find something better.
adidasx
Hi all,
in my opinion Gmail is great, huge space (2,7gb and rising), u can use it in outlook express, what's not to like Smile
anticitizen1
Surely i think gmail tell you the true directly about privacy...
anyweb service coulc make fell peacefull about privacy.
The best email service,
filters, speed, storage, smtp access,

if aneyone needs and invitations just PM Me
FunkyGirl
I thnk that GMAIL is GREAT!
it's work very fast and u can have 3 GIGA and the server is good and now doing prbolam Smile
megamass
don't have any problem with gmail. its really fast and have no problems with login like other mail systems. just use it, its FREE Wink
hcjgh
Gmail its the best for now.... Yahoo:) i can only laught at the times when yahoo had 25mb space and a lot of ads and i mean A LOT!!!!!!!!
kartal
The web interface is quite nice and the account is quite well-featured.

You get 2000MB space, but there are seious privacy and confidentiality concerns.
AhmedSalmanJamal
I believe that it is a very nicely designed and a lot of thought has been put into it. It is in fact very user friendly and highly efficient in terms of performance and quality.
selim06
i really like gmail and i think this is great...The posting service is excellent and Google Talk is increasing soon they rise like sun...i promis you won't regrit to use Gmail...
TurkishGamer
I am using gmail right now but I regret having signed up to them. The only reason that I am staying is because I got registered a lot of places with that email and I am too lazy to change it everywhere

Stuff I don't like about it:

-->Not cofidential
-->Other email programs have enough space already
-->One time I couldn't log into my account for a week and It was just me so I could do nothing about it.
-->Also I don't like the ad type article headers on the top of the page.
IAMED_2
GMail is amazing. If you're not using it you should be. Fast access with the toolbar and the notifier that comes with GTalk (not "notifier" itself) is very very good. It's very fast and uncluttered, and is chock full of everything you need and tons you dont, but the stuff you dont stays far away in the background. I'm sure there's pay services that are better, but this is the best you get for free.

Over 2712.285432 megabytes (and counting)!
erlendhg
I like Gmail very much. I think its much better than hotmail.

Your accont will not be automatically deactivated if you haven't used it for a while.
Gmails labeling system is wonderful.
And best of all, it's free and the mail storage space is getting bigger and bigger Very Happy

I love it!
cavey
I opened an account 3-4 months ago. I have just used it for testing. Of course - it's just a beta.

I have only sent mail to my self. Never posted the address anywhere.

I logged in some weeks ago, to test it again, and it was filled with spam. The To-header contained my mailaddress, and my mailaddress only. Nothing in Cc (Bcc I obviously don't know). And my mailadress is not an easy guess.

It is just one type of spam: lots of words that makes no sense.

I wonder how they got my mailaddress if google did not give it to them? I dont care if they have a great spamfilter. Spamfilter should filter spam I receive because of my own stupidity - not because my mailprovider spread my mailaddress.

1 gig? Who needs it? I have 200 gigs on my own computer I can fill with mail if I really need that much space.
Wd64
Gmail is pretty nice. It feels very different to other webmail sites in the way the whole thing feels more involved and heavy.

Don't go for Gmail based solely on the fact it has over 2 GB of storage because you will never be able to use it all.

Another really cool thing about Gmail is on the homepage you can literally watch the amount of space they give you go up!
kiterober
I have a gmail account, but don't really use it due the how many other accounts I have. However when it does get used I find it to have a nice and clean interface with some decent features, definately worth a look at
mialynavahy
i really love it, gmail is the best email service, it's simpler and now it integrates instant messaging right into the email, you know who is logged and you dont have to enter in another window (like msn), you chat directly in your mail
itarlo
Gmail is realy big, functional, pop3.... what else do you need from your e-mail
mrbreaker
I find it brillant and reccommend it to everyone. ciao
4ndY
There is one problem with Gmail: it forbids sending exe files (even if they are in zip/rar archive) - so extension exe must be renamed before sending :-/ (i think too strict rule).
And one other thing: sending big attachments (>500kb) are really stupid and useless via web interface (cause HTML connection very often breaks, so if u upload 95% of file and it breaks, you must upload again, again, ...).
shinyaishi
I started using gmail but its not so bad. Im a hotmail user but getting used to use gmail. Gmail notifier is also useful.
Varun
of all the things i have used till now i find gmail is the best, it dosent have many features and all but it has all the features i need and most people need...and its very fast and it updates by itself and lot more, and morever you dont need an invitation any more...its really kewl way better than hotmail or yahoo
redice
Gmail doen't add ads too your mail, this is very nice.

It use label instead of mailbox(or mail folder). I'm not satisfied with it first, hum, but now, I think it more useful. Can you put your mail both in IMPORT and WORK_MAIL folder? or even more folder? Gmail label did. Send mail to yourmail+work@gmail.com, the mail will auto labeld with work; mail send to yourmail+home@gmail.com will auto labeld with home ...

It support pop

even more...

I like it.
djpupeikis
I think best mail is gmail!!! fast, secure, no ads, spys and other stuff very good it is but can have there account if you are invited
Ghost Face
Most definately. You gotta love the simple design and easy access features of Gmail. Smile [/url]
Shake
Gmail is much better, much cleaner, and much faster than any other email provider. I also use the Gmail Manager extension for Firefox to save even more time logging in. There are numerous extensions that can do this for you. What I like about Gmail is in the fact that I don't get spam. Ever. The only junk I get comes from people who I know (you can create filters to block them). Gmail is the best available. Don't use anything else.

If you like that, you'll love the free POP3 & SMTP access.
Tasa
I can't beleive all the people complaining about privacy and how gmail can trace your email. That is a bunch of garbage. It is no differance then the google ads so many websites are using now. The whole idea is they are small and because of advanced technology they may be usefull.

Also recently they got in trouble for refusing to give email sent/received or even delete when they are told to.

The one thing I do hate is the spam I get a lot, I haven't given the email out a lot, but I know how the spammers work so I know why I am getting them. I just wish the spam filters worked better.

Of all I love gmail it is my free email of choice.
aussiemars
I'll stick with my hotmail, ive had it for 7 years, but ever since gmail came out its had a little place with me. I liked how you had to get invited to gmail. Yes about the actual account, i have to agree with you about the spam, its a big problem
oskuro
Very useful for me too.

I use it as my current email, and for msn.

Works great, and with many space!!! Very Happy
paurna
i wud say gmail is the best available free mail service on the net.unlimited space,new features and easy accessability.what else do we need
AhmedSalmanJamal
It is definitely more useful than hotmail. They have actually out-performed hotmail in various categories... First and foremost is usability...second would be the amount of space they provide...etc. I would recommend it to you... Smile
shaggly
To add to the many fans of gmail, I would have to agree.

I've been using it for a while now, and for a free service, it's bloody great. I would have to say that it's light years ahead of hotmail, and I also prefer it to my Yahoo accounts.
Transponder
Gmail gives you space for free you get almost 2GB of space
and i stored more then 400 e-mails, it keeps getting better
but i have now a problem when i try to login it keeps refreshing
but it seems to be fixed now Very Happy
lol what
I like gmail's massive amounts of storage. However, the only problem I have with it is that its spam filter is very conservative, and intercepts almost no spam. At least there haven't been many false positives, but at least for me it really doesn't stop spam very well.
RiCtee
I'd like trying Gmail out. Want to see what really is causing this phenomena. Can someone send me an invitation?? I think the signing up process is really not convenient. There must be other way to combat spam. Send the code to you phone?? I don't think so....
calvinchin
Hi there,

Yes, I tried both ways: send an invitation and send code to phone. Working GREAT ! Very Happy

Size does matters ! Laughing

And you can invite yourself to create a number of accounts...

10 accounts = about 28 GB ! Shocked

How would you use that kind of email spaces?! Cool
Fred1967
I love Gmail, used it for a while now. Lot's of space, pop3 and a userfriendly search option.

Some sites however don't accept gmail accounts for subcription anymore?

Maybe because of the good spamfilter Gmail has?
oskuro
And dont forget about Gmail Notifier.

A very usefull app, that tells you with a pop up message and sound, when u have a new email Very Happy
nevillethenerd
Pop3, effectively unlimited storage, no backup worries and it's free. And it pisses Bill Gates and Steve Bald-mer off a huge amount . Who could ask for anything more?
pokethamage
Gmail kik butt...all i have to say

j/k...if that's it then this would be considered as spam would it not?

anyways, reasons:
1) friggin big storage
2) clean design
3) free POP3 service

#3 is prolly why i chose this service...hotmail sucks after they make you pay for POP3...and google is taking over the web anyways, so why not go with the wind...?
dynamics
Solugon wrote:
Do you like it [more than Hotmail]?

Don't even mention about Hotmail! For non-US residents the inbox size is only 2MB! That's pathetic! With spam and all those junk mail, my inbox can be filled up within days! Use Yahoo! or GMail instead.
openpowwow
Gmail is to me and thousands of user, the e-mail service out there. with over 3.5 gigs of space, which is grwoing every second, the ease-of-use and the simplistic layot which is fast, easy on the eys and usefull, plus the only ads on there are ones that are text based, small, and actually RELATED to the info in that e-mail. its packed with so much, and its free. nothing matches it.

for those about the ' HORRIBLE PRIVACY POLICY'.........this is all some crap somone said, that spread like wildfire. there are no problems with it. its just as protective, if not more than your hotmaila nd yahoo and other leading e-mail service providers. you are COMPLETELY safe.

I recomend you to have one. if you dont now, you wil most likey wil have one in the future.
RiCtee
RiCtee wrote:
I'd like trying Gmail out. Want to see what really is causing this phenomena. Can someone send me an invitation?? I think the signing up process is really not convenient. There must be other way to combat spam. Send the code to you phone?? I don't think so....

Can someone send me a Gmail invitation?? PLEASE.........I really can't wait to try it out. Drool My email's below \|/. Thankz....
nevillethenerd
attn: RiCtee - you can sign up using your cell/mobile phone number
https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1
golles
RiCtee pm me and you'll get one.
mrbofh
I don't like gmail, because very often is server overflow! They should buy a faster server....
sorry for my english.
golles
I have only see that 3-6 times and I almost use gmail for 2 years
4ndY
mrbofh wrote:
I don't like gmail, because very often is server overflow! They should buy a faster server....
sorry for my english.

i saw it few times, but its back online in few hours max.
And it happens very rarely, so i dont count that as a big minus Smile

remeber, Gmail is still in beta.
jabapyth
I use it, and its OK:
i mostly use it as a GMAIL Drive
golles
4ndY wrote:
mrbofh wrote:
sorry for my english.

i saw it few times, but its back online in few hours max.
And it happens very rarely, so i dont count that as a big minus Smile

remeber, Gmail is still in beta.

why are they keeping it in so long béta version? microsoft can provide from it with their live mail
bnbrown
Gmail is a great invention. I used most of web based email like hotmail, freemail, vipmail, yahoo but gmail wins of all! It has great features and still free!
Cityboi813
I've used Yahoo and Hotmail and they are no comparison to Gmail. The Chat feature is nice, where u can talk to someone on your contacts list and my personal favorite is being able to organize your email very easily.
bnbrown
There is one thing I don't like in gmail. It sometimes puts together into one conversation that was not. So then I have to find out why two different conversation is added together and which mail is what....
lukeropro
Gmail is good. It is way more organised than hotmail and yahoo. And the storage space is more than enough..
orcaz
I have been using GMail for 1 year long. The good thing is that I do not need to throw any message, xcept for spams and junk. coz sometimes i nid to refer back to those old messages. also, it doesn't contain as much advertisements on the page as compared to hotmail and yahoo, and there is no advertisements on ur outgoing msgs.
garionw
I loooove Gmail.

Ive been with them for over a year now and I love it.

I am also a member of Windows Live mail Beta... I hate that, Its slow and cluttered.

I like the Gmail Interface, Its not that bad.

I would also like to point out Google claendar (calendar.google.com) Once you have used that once it adds a link up the top of Gmail. CNET reviewed that along with Yahoo calendar and Google won!!!!

This is the start of many great things for Google
coolclay
Quote:
I use it, and its OK:
i mostly use it as a GMAIL Drive

Is Gmail drive still working? The last time I checked google was able to stop it from working so that people wouldn't take advantage of it. Maybe someone was able to bypass the safe holds google made?
dac_nip
i like gmail..when it overfloods with messages, it's a lot faster than yahoo or any other mailing list because the messages are in a single thread and not by individual mails, even better than daily digest of yahoo..
4ndY
golles wrote:

why are they keeping it in so long béta version? microsoft can provide from it with their live mail

as u can see most of Google products are still in beta (Google Earth, Groups for usenet, Froogle, Gmail, ... visit their Lab: http://labs.google.com ) Smile
Why all in beta? Dont know real reason, but i think they are all perfectionists so they won't relese final product if it isnt absolutely stable, without bugs, ...
And every week they add some new function - i mean: thats great Razz
ENDY_JASMI
I think GMail great cause:
You can receive some 300mb++ file...
Easy to search
You can categorize your mail...
and many more thing..
Gmail mail is much better then hotmail many time...
wapkralj
I also use gmail.It is easy to get invitation.You get incredible much space.You got many more options, chat and so on and it is more reliable....What to say GOOGLE rocks MS
kuisong.tong
I feel Gmail is good, and now I only use gmail as my private mailbox Smile
oskuro
mrbofh wrote:
sorry for my english.

?????????

I never have problems Confused Confused
guissmo
Does YAHOO have a mail-checker that reacts whenever you go to the Net?
Never heard of any....

And if there is any...
...I bet it's some crappy program some third-party built...
magneto_ms
Of course gmail i guess is currently the best one out there. very limited advertising, fast, easy and huge space. Great service. The only hitch is it might have some problems with browsers like opera. Anyway it is way better than yahoo or hotmail.
Bones
4ndY wrote:
golles wrote:

as u can see most of Google products are still in beta (Google Earth, Groups for usenet, Froogle, Gmail, ... visit their Lab: http://labs.google.com ) Smile
Why all in beta? Dont know real reason, but i think they are all perfectionists so they won't relese final product if it isnt absolutely stable, without bugs, ...
And every week they add some new function - i mean: thats great Razz

I don't think being perfectionists has much to do with it. If it stays in beta then they dont have to support it if something goes wrong. Google arent perfectionists, they are cheap and don't want to help people if it breaks.

I don't mind gmail, but I hate how it strings emails into a conversation, totally annoying IMO so I only use it for a secondary email.

Oh and if you read the eula, they give you so much space because they don't want you to delete email, they want to monitor your email (Big Brother?) although I'm sure that yahoo and hotmail do the same
Mamsaac
I read many messages saying bad things about Gmail's privacy policy.

I don't care about it. fake name, fake last name, fake location, fake, fake, fake. See what I mean? There's only my IP, but IP's are so easy to get, I don't care anymore.
Qube
Heh, how simple we are.
Read around guys.
As was linked earlier, Google's Privacy policy is horrible.
Gmail Info

Basically they keep logs of your e-mails for an indefinite amount of time.
Then when the Govt. or anyone else subpoenas them, they are required to hand over those logs.

There's alot more involving Google, but I really don't care.
I don't ever post all my personal information in anything these days.
Privacy is a hoax online, there is no such thing.
Unless of course you run some kinda encrypted connection that your recipient has the script/software to unencrypt it.
But things like that are few unfortunately.

Even though, my homepage is Google.
For mail I use GMail, Hotmail (Live, so I get 2gb) and AIM Mail (my spam mail, also 2gb).
I have always appreciated Google's minimalistic appearance.
They do something and they do it good.
Let's hope they abide by their "Do No Evil" slogan.
lSaKenl
Right, gmail privacy might be horrible, but anyway, as said, there isnt such thing as privacy into the www, i think that if you want to send something confidential you should just send it encrypted, anyway, i cant remember the site right now but there's a site with a huge data base with all records of sites, once, i found my first website, and all the posts of the old forum of a game clan, nothing is private in the www ^^

anyway, i like gmail because it is usefull registering in sites, when they ask for not a webmail, also it lates nothing to load the confirmation message, hotmail and yahoo does, sometimes the 24 hrs confirmation link expires before you can get it from hotmail, and i hate that because that way you just lose your favorite nickname in a website.