FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many people leave their computer on 24/7?

Do you leave your computer on 24/7?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 56 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 90

OnlyOneLife
I leave my laptop on 24/7 for downloading or uploading... I'm generous...
take the poll... leave a message on whether you leave your comptuer on all the time or not, and if you do leave it on, why?
Just leave the message so the thread can circulate to the top again. you know keep it a float. Smile

Yes, so far, more people leave it on 24/7, but more than I expected don't leave it on all the time.
Solugon
I leave mine on 24/7. I just find it a bit of a pain to have to boot it back up again. I like just moving the mouse to pop it out of "inactivity sleep" and going straight to the World of Warcraft shortcut on the desktop. Very Happy
Jack_Hammer
No point if you use your computer 24/7 especially if you share files, you want to upload and download.
Nameless
I put my computer into 'standby' most of the time when I'm not using it, but I shut it down every night.
NuniPio
it only turns off when im asleep...i cant stand the noise
moejoe
My computer has the worst Power Supply (came with the box thats why) and it sounds like a fan that has a megaphone next to it.

its that unbelievably loud i can't stand it.

But i leave my computer on to download large files (because i get off-peak extra downloads from 12am to 12pm Razz ) and i leave it through the day to upload.

I've gotten used to the noise and i never notice it as long as i turn my head to the other side of the bed. lol.

The longest i've left it one was 3 days straight.
It could of made toast!
lol
Bye.
mstreet
Well I don't leave my computer on anymore. I find that it's not that neccesary as it use to be. I don't really do a lot of file sharing anymore and it saves energy
boringest
same here, always switch them off b4 i go to sleep, although just a laptop, the sound it makes recently is quite loud. could be dust or something.
Liu
Yes, I leave it on 24/7, mainly because i'm running a web server.
jaysen
i usually shut mine down once a month or so to clean out the fans, but otherwise its up all the time... most of my friends get ahold of me off of yahoo or msn...and my computer is wired to 3 tvs and 4 stereos thoughtout the house... so its my entertainment center in a twisted way lol..... i sleep odd hours and its inconvienient to be shutting it down all the time
[FuN]goku
the only point of leaving your comp on 24/7 is if youre a server.
seanooi
i leave both my computers on all the time Laughing
my destop's a server and my laptop.... i just leave it one for people to send me messages on msn Razz
desertwind
It has been almost a month since my last shutdown/reboot. And if my memory is correct, that was due to a full day power failure.

I wont reboot my pc if it wasn't extremely necessary. And my gnu/linux pc seldom ask me to reboot for a reason.

Only occassion I shut down my pc (Other than power failures) is when I'm out for atleast a week. For a period shorter than that, I leave my PC on.
Loghete
I always leave my computer on, so I don't have to start it up again all the time.
When I'm off for 2 days or more I shut it down though.
Reaper
I leave it on 24/7 because I run bots on starcraft and all that, Also I dont really have a choice, unless I actually physically pull the power plug my computer automaticly reboots in 1 to 2 hours but thats a custom computer glitch for you.
root
I leave it on for torrents
turbopowerdmaxsteel
Well......If I deduct the time of powercuts, my PC runs for around 15-24 hrs daily. MY PC's maximum uptime till date has been around 9 hrs. I gotta leave it turned on for nocturnal downloads. Wink
turbopowerdmaxsteel
Well......If I deduct the time of powercuts, my PC runs for around 15-24 hrs daily. MY PC's maximum uptime till date has been around 9 hrs. I gotta leave it turned on for nocturnal downloads. Wink
lockwolf
my computer at the most recent times have been running for 2-3+ days. I rarely turn it off for I find it to be an inconvience to have to boot my computer up every day about 4-5 times.
broken2144
I leave mine on to run Stanford's Folding@Home client.
Blaster
I always have my computer on unless I go on vaction. But my computer goes on stand-by after like 20 mins of not using it.
superwrestler06
I leave my computer on all the. I dont ever use the stanby either. The max uptime i can remember is 9 days, 18 hours. It would of stayed on longer but it's hard to stay up that long without getting some error that forces it to restart.
{name here}
I shut down my computer when I'm not using it, even though its achieved energy star, and has a very quiet fan. I don't own a server and I'm pretty stingy, if you're wondering why...
eday2010
I am almost always constantly downloading something, so I leave mine on all the time. Even when I am not, I tend to be sharing my files, so I like leaving it on all the time. The only time I shut it down is when I am away for a few days. Or to do work on it on the inside. Then it kind of needs to be off Razz
Saber
I leave it on for only one reason... When I finnaly get around to tur it off, and then Turn it back on, I have to try a few times. It starts to boot up then it "BEEEEE"s three times, and turns off. after more tries it finally starts up..(no idea why it does that)
wumingsden
[FuN]goku wrote:
the only point of leaving your comp on 24/7 is if youre a server.

I agree with you, whats the need on keeping it on otherwise. I turn my PC's off everynight unless I have a really big (and overally important file downloading/uploading), which has only happened once. Also there really is no need wasting electricity when it only takes about 25 seconds to load up
Dark_Jedi06
I'm far too lazy to be turning it on and off whenever I want to use it...

Thus it remains on 24/7. Razz
Jeslyn
I leave my laptop on all the time. It's a pain to have to reboot, it takes awhile for it to load, and I'm rather impatient. It's usually just in sleep mode though.
smokey4life
Yeah i leave mine on 24/7 unless it simply needs a reboot Wink i run various computer side scripts and programs tat require me to run my computer 24/7 for accuracy purposes, such as mIRC, bots, stat and traffic analyzers etc....
enervate
I leave my PC on 24/7 because it's in a different room to my bed. Smile I had my laptop on 24/7 too until my power cable shorted... time to order a new one!

I tend to reboot once a week, just for fun.
myrevolt
i would leave it on but its too loud. plus my low amount of RAM causes problems so after long term use I gotta restart or else risk freezing. and it takes about 10 minutes to restart Confused i'd just like to be able to leave my instant-messaging client on, cause it doesn't have anyway to communicate while offline (and everyone i know is too lazy to use email)
psycosquirrel
My computer is off when I am not using it. Computers use enormous amounts of power, and also, mine is extremely loud... My startup takes less than 20 seconds, and my shutdown is lightning fast as well. I am running windows 2000, but it is lean and only runs things that are required.
TeK
The only time I cut my laptop off is when I clean it. Otherwise it's always on.
EVILSKAAP
Well my pc is on 24/7. I see no need to power it down. The only time it is ever off, is when the weather is bad, and when i add new hardware. OKAY so maybe i RESTART it every now and then but, it keeps me and my pc happy. NJOY
DecayClan
I have an old laptop(1000MHZ, 256ram,40GB HDD+300GB external HDD) which is on 24/7, to do only a few tasks:
Download continiusly
Be a firewall for my main Pc
have many firewalls and antivirus programs, which scan the computer every 60' minutes, and they chack every file that is being downloaded
Its always hardwired of course(the battery would maximly hold for a few hours...
I think that a compter for these tasks is very usefull, in order to "save" the resaurces of your main computer...
Reaper
psycosquirrel wrote:
My computer is off when I am not using it. Computers use enormous amounts of power, and also, mine is extremely loud... My startup takes less than 20 seconds, and my shutdown is lightning fast as well. I am running windows 2000, but it is lean and only runs things that are required.

Really?? windows 2000 usually likes to add a lot of other shit to the boot process.
Vrythramax
I leave mine on all the time...and like so many people here I run my own local server(s).

It is rather hard on the equipment tho, which is a small price to pay to make things (stuff) available to your friends/family.
storken
i have my computer on 24 hours a day in the weekends but not in the normal days. it really is too noisy (my computer i mean)
2000 Man
I'll kill it every 4 or 5 days but that's about it. Otherwise the only time it gets to rest is when it locks up....but that's life. Myth or not (becuase honestly even as a computer buff I've never looked into it) I still buy into that, "the initial jolt at power up is harder on the compnents than just leaving it to idle".... plus I absolutely hate waiting on the thing to boot....it doesn't take long but I'm extrordinarily short on patience....
thiamshui
i don't leave my PC on or my laptop on 24/7.. my mum will kill me.. LOL.. Very Happy anyway, i don't really leave my comp on when i'm not attending to it except when i'm downloading big stuff.. i don't have a server setup on my computer also..
izcool
I am both ways. I leave some of my PC's off yet others are on almost 24/7.

I used to shut down my PC's at night, but I leave about 5 of them on 24/7. I had 4 out of the 5 reboot themselves at 1:00AM to help the computer perform better. I have all 5 of those working for Seti@Home. The last of the 5 is my main PC, I have that on all the time because it does Seti@Home work and plus it's pain to boot up.

I heard that it takes less electricity when you leave your PC on 24/7 rather than turning it off and rebooting. Plus your PC might last longer, as you're sending huge power surges through all of your PC's components when you turn them on.

I only turn my monitor and speakers off on my main PC when I'm not using it, the tower stays on all the time.

I pulled an excerpt from a book I read (a PC book) regarding this topic awhile back, when I was discussing this with someone else. I hope other people find it interesting.

I wish I had a laptop that would not overheat. I used to have a Dell Inspiron 1150 but I no longer own it because the thing overheated and smoked the video card. I'm still in search of a new laptop that won't turn out like how that one did.

- Mike.
aerialdreams
I leave my computer on ALL the time; I don't even bother to put it in stand by mode. I think it's because I have it in my room, and for convenience I just leave it on. I mean, i can use it, turn off the monitor go to sleep, wake up and use it immediately... I really hope I don't burn anything though...
Alienz
I used to leave my computer 24/7. Not that I want to, it is just that my computer seem to have problems in starting Sad But not anymore now Smile
amusic
I leave my computer on since I wake up in the morning. When i wanna go to bed, i will turn off my computer. Next morning turn on again...........

I'm doing so because i afraid turning it on the whole day for many many days may burn the motherboard. I burn it b4 with AMD K6 processor. Maybe it release a lot of heat.....
Tumbleweed
Unless my comp has to be rebooted or crashes its online.......I just turn off the monitor and speakers when I leave pc
pharma
i love computer and internet

i cant leave it expect when

eating

drinking

sleeping Laughing

i love it

thank u Mr. Computer Laughing
Jaiye
i have music playing on it whenever I'm not actively using it, so 24/7
4ndY
i leave my comp 24/7.
- its web server on our wireless network
- DC++ is always on (DL&UL)
- im logging everything Smile (irc, dc, phone calls, ...)
- if i need to google sth, or something else, i just turn monitor on Smile
- i can leave many programs (works in progress), so next time i can easily continue my work Smile

I remove almost all fans from it (only passive cooling, except CPU and PSU) - so its very, very silent.
assex
Even though I would like to, I don't leave my computer on 24/7 as it wastes a bit too much power and I am energy-consious.

I would have really loved to leave it on though!
meet in rio
I turn my laptop off to conserve power and all that lark, but Izcool has now thrown me into doubt about that! I'm in lessons for much of the day, so it's not like I'm on it constantly, but I'm in front of it for an obscenely long time outside of that.

Also:

- I'm slightly worried about it overheating or something nasty like that.
- I keep it in my room, and the nouse and glow from the screen might keep me awake.
- Occasionally, something will get in the way of the fan and scare me to death. The less it's turned on, the less time it has to go wrong! Rolling Eyes
Reaper
meet in rio wrote:
I turn my laptop off to conserve power and all that lark, but Izcool has now thrown me into doubt about that! I'm in lessons for much of the day, so it's not like I'm on it constantly, but I'm in front of it for an obscenely long time outside of that.

Also:

- I keep it in my room, and the nouse and glow from the screen might keep me awake.
- Occasionally, something will get in the way of the fan and scare me to death. The less it's turned on, the less time it has to go wrong! Rolling Eyes

Easy ways to fix these problems, have a fan that does not suck on your computer, turn off the screen, put the goddam tower where you dont put your dirty laundry, either that or actually wash your laundry, they both work quite well Laughing Also mouse light?? you do realize that all laser mice lights either turn off or go dim so you cant see them unless your actually using it right?
meet in rio
Reaper wrote:
meet in rio wrote:

Also:

Easy ways to fix these problems, have a fan that does not suck on your computer, turn off the screen, put the goddam tower where you dont put your dirty laundry, either that or actually wash your laundry, they both work quite well Laughing Also mouse light?? you do realize that all laser mice lights either turn off or go dim so you cant see them unless your actually using it right?

1. I made a typo: 'nouse' is meant to be 'noise', and not 'mouse' as I assume you read. I don't actually use a mouse, but a touch pad.
2. It's a laptop, so there's no tower.
3. I'm stupid, and don't know any way of turning off the screen other than to just stick the thing on standby.
sibbahz
I dont leave my laptop on 24/7 as there isnt really much point. The system takes a while to boot but i just put it into hibernate, which saves the contents of ram to hard disc, therefore taking no power. Booting from hibernate takes around 20 seconds to be complete and saves listening to the sound of a laptop fan all night.
hack_man_
I switch off my destop every night and when I am working durin the day apart from Wednesdays because it is during the day on wednesdays that I have set it up to do the maintenance and restart at the end of it so that it is all ready to to go for the weekend.

Our other computer stays on 24/7 but does it's maintenance on Wednesdays for reasons metioned above. It is kept on because I use it to share files on our network and so that people can send messages via msn!
Most
moejoe wrote:
My computer has the worst Power Supply (came with the box thats why) and it sounds like a fan that has a megaphone next to it.

Lol nice Rolling Eyes
Mine don't make noise but I shut it down every night when I'm sleeping. A friend let it on in order to listen music when he is sleeping lol Smile Another sort of noise, a better one ^_^
izcool
meet in rio wrote:

Also:

I apparantly bought the wrong model laptop. I should have done some more research on that model before I bought it. Mine (again) was a Dell Inspiron 1150, one of the few models that continiously overheated due to either the processor in it (mine was an Intel Pentium 4 M @ 2.8 GHz, but many go below that) or the fact that the fan was on the bottom of the unit, instead of on the side or back, plus there was no real air flow in it elsewhere. I think the Dell Inspiron 1100, 1150, 5100, and 5150 are prone to this overheating problem. I did some research on Google when mine wouldn't turn on any more to see what the problem might be, and one of the results brought me to this page - http://www.officinado.com/new-reviews/Dell-Inspiron-1150.html . Many people state overheating problems, along with problems with the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, the USB ports, etc. Many people on that page comment that the model was a "lemon", like in car talk.

- Mike.
quartz
Loghete wrote:
I always leave my computer on, so I don't have to start it up again all the time.

I'm doing also like that.
Most
quartz wrote:
Loghete wrote:

I'm doing also like that.

This is a waste of energy Rolling Eyes
Save our planet !
DeadX
I have a notebook that I use for school, so I can't have it on 24/7 Sad
but in the vacation the notebook is always on, unless we go on holiday.
Nutorious
I would but as i have a desktop PC it can start loading up and make a noise, and as it is in my bedroom andything wakes me up so i tend not too, if it wasnt in my room i most probably would, but other than that its always on. And i also get scared that it will overheat or something >_>
Reaper
meet in rio wrote:
Reaper wrote:
meet in rio wrote:

Also:

1. I made a typo: 'nouse' is meant to be 'noise', and not 'mouse' as I assume you read. I don't actually use a mouse, but a touch pad.
2. It's a laptop, so there's no tower.
3. I'm stupid, and don't know any way of turning off the screen other than to just stick the thing on standby.

Yes I assumed that was mouse not noise, and lab tops are completly different on how you should care for them, normal computers its just fine to leave on 24/7, but lab tops need to be shut off due to problems with overheating and horibly designed fans, that only seem to make noise and do nothing about relieving the heat inside of the lab top.
ocalhoun
I love seeing all of the replies mentioning restarting to keep windows happy. If you would just get linux, you would never have to restart. (at least not for several years)
xorcist
I would never leave me desktop computer on all the time. If I had a labtop I would proberly leave it on. But it will cost to much money to leave it on 24/7 If I was getting money for leaving it on 24/7 I would proberly leave it on.
Pyxel
I leave my laptop running 24/7, it only shuts off when I close it to take it someplace.

The one thing I do turn off is my external hard drive, just cuz it gets pretty hot and I want to give it some time to cool down.
zjosie729
I don't shut down my computer at all, but overnight it shuts down automatically. I actualy like that. My computer crashes more if it doesn't rest.
Scorpio
I probably leave it on for 12 hrs a day preferring to shut it down in the morning.

In the night i keep downloading or browsing.

Of course if i dont give it some rest who knows it might very well blow up!
Reaper
ocalhoun wrote:
I love seeing all of the replies mentioning restarting to keep windows happy. If you would just get linux, you would never have to restart. (at least not for several years)

err dont sterio type all windows systems like that, windows xp does not require you to restart to speed it up anymore, in fact it does just fine without re-starting up assuming you dont have 5000 programs installed for pretty much no reason like most people seem to do. I should know i never restart my computer and I use XP so it preforms just fine. Also I dont ever remember anyone directly mentioning restarting for windows, for all you know everyone here has linux and your making fun of your own sofrware.
gaijin01
I like to leave mine on as long as bill gates software allows me to do so:")
Catastrophic Fairy
The last time I turned my computer off was.... in December? We had a power outage so it wasn't my choice. :3 Other than that I reboot it once it gets too slow, or just before I open Paint Shop Pro (It really slows down the computer, even after a reboot. :/ Blasted horrid computer! >/)
Gieter
I don't leave my computer 24/7 on, about twelve hours a day. To save energy, and because it's in my bedroom, I shut it down at night. On the other hand, it's useful to heaten up my room Smile.
joemanspace
I keep my computer on 24/7. Due to, I can wake up and get on it with no hassles and it saves your computer life span. Restarting is an unnecessary hassle for me. So, why bother :).
AG007
I usually leave my computer on 24/7 for downloading and uploading.
The max that I left the comp on was for more than a week.
I put a radio in it, but nobody listen to it. hehe
ashok
Solugon wrote:
I leave mine on 24/7. I just find it a bit of a pain to have to boot it back up again. I like just moving the mouse to pop it out of "inactivity sleep" and going straight to the World of Warcraft shortcut on the desktop. Very Happy

same reason here ...

dont think im too lazyy but the windows has sucking load time..
godam64
not me.
it would take a lot of electricity to consume if i let my computer on for 24/7.
electric in my country is not cheap and going rise day by day Sad
Josso
Unless it's doing de-frag, lots of scans or just uploading/downloading some massive file no I tend not to. I like to leave my CPU and Graphic Card to cool down and of course it's always good to restart anyway. Also there's the massive energy consumption thing aswell.
CMA
I always leave my computer on during the night. I'm always downloading or uploading something while I'm sleeping. Even when I'm not, I just got this habit over the years. I do turn it off once in a while to cool down, usually after a defrag, after a major clean up or after installing something.

And you should know, also, that a computer turned on for 2 hours uses up less energy than a toaster for 10 minutes. So unless your computer is making you dinner, energy consumption shouldn't be much of a worry.
*parakiss
i never turn off my computer 0____0

its actully more energy consuming to shutdown the computer
input
Ya i leave it on, very annoying though when I come back after not being near it for a few hours i see a couple of those lovely mesages saying that they has been an attempted hack on my computer. Luckily firewalls etc keep the hackers away. So maybe its best to switch it off