FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blue screen before windows login.

Talk2Tom11
Hey... I am getting this blue screen on my computer before it ever gets to the login screen for windows. I am running XP. IUt doesn;t give me and specific information like, Bad boot file or something like that. The Error code at the bottom is: 0x0000007B.

I it tells me to try running the CHKDSK. I ran that throught the windows recovery console. I ran CHKDSK /p and CHKDSK /r. One of them... i believe it was the /r, told me it found errors and fixed them. But I am still having the same problem. if anyone can help me out with this situation that would be great thanx.

P.S.
I am a yearbook editor for a college and alot of the layout is on there... So if at all possible i would prefer not to format. Thanx.
gh0stface
You might want to check to see if all your cables are firmly connected. Other then that, I'm not sure what else. :/
Talk2Tom11
OK soo this is a problem that can be caused by not having everything connected tightly? Because the computer was working fine and then it was shut down one day... it just started up with this problem.

Will check the cables though. Thanks
johanfh
Maybe if there is important info on your system it's safer to first boot your pc with a floppy disk to DOS and look with an NTFS reader for dos (for example the one from www.ntfs.com) if your important files are still there. Copy them on a floppy disk or if they are to big put another hard-drive in your pc and copy them on that one, just to make sure you don't loose your data.

About the problem itself: I don't think it's a connectionproblem. Connectionproblems generally won't hurt your windowsboot but you will have problems in your bootup-test screen (or how is it called in english). The one where your pc counts your memory etc. There it checks whether your monitor is connected, your keyboard is connected, etc. Mouse and soundcard aren't that important.
I guess your computer didn't shutdown properly or your hard disk is damaged or your memory has some minor problem (a big problem will show in the bootup-screen I mentioned).
The errorcode you provided is described by microsoft. You can find some ideas on fixing the problem on http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324103

Good luck!
JohanFH
SunburnedCactus
Use the Windows CD to boot up and then repair the system files.
Talk2Tom11
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Use the Windows CD to boot up and then repair the system files.

Which System files?... is there a way to repair all of them?

Thanks
Bones
A STOP 0x7b error means inaccessable boot device. There is a chance that the hard drive has failed here. First I would check to make sure the drive is being recognized in BIOS. If the BIOS sees the drive, then my next step would be to slave the drive into another pc for data recovery, because if the drive is failing, everything you do to it has a chance of causing major data loss.

At exactly what point does the pc bluescreen?My guess is just after or durng POST.

Talk2Tom11 wrote:
Hey... I am getting this blue screen on my computer before it ever gets to the login screen for windows. I am running XP. IUt doesn;t give me and specific information like, Bad boot file or something like that. The Error code at the bottom is: 0x0000007B.

I it tells me to try running the CHKDSK. I ran that throught the windows recovery console. I ran CHKDSK /p and CHKDSK /r. One of them... i believe it was the /r, told me it found errors and fixed them. But I am still having the same problem. if anyone can help me out with this situation that would be great thanx.

P.S.
I am a yearbook editor for a college and alot of the layout is on there... So if at all possible i would prefer not to format. Thanx.
Xeniczone
try unpluging or removing unnessisary hard ware such as a tv card or a thumbdrive. If there is hardware not required to run windows it may be interfereing with windows. Windows will crash if you have mixed hardware it doesn't want mixed.
grantmaster
If it's not too late...

you might try these steps

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6031733.html#

also,

did you try to install any new hardware prior to the BSOD
AffroThund3r
It may also be an idea to re-install the boot sector of the hard drive.

This can be done through the recovery console. Put your XP CD into your hard drive and boot from it. When it says about re-installing XP or Recovering a damaged copy choose the recovery option.

You'll then be taken to a screen that looks like a command prompt.

Try these commands:

Fixboot

Writes a new partition boot sector onto the specified partition.

Fixmbr

Repairs the master boot record of the specified disk.

This may help.

It has helped me in the past when XP has not wanted to boot.

Don't forget that running these commands may not help and try and save your data b4 running them.

You could take your hard drive out and put it in another PC and then copy the files from it onto a CD and then re-install windows?

Good Luck
AFF
ocalhoun
Can you make use of safe mode?