FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why PSP sucks...





root
The PSP is really overrated. The whole idea of it being a media player thing is completely ruined by the fact that you need memory sticks to put the media on. (correct me if im wrong but I think you still need memory sticks for music, movies, pictures..etc) After you've compressed a movie you might be able to fit 2-3 movies on a 1 gig stick, which is expensive btw. There is no way that the PSP can replace an iPod as a media player in any way what so ever. The amount of money you would need to spend on memory sticks to use your PSP with even a small media collection (~5 gig) is going to be more expensive than an iPod. To remedy this, Sony should release blank UMDs to which we can burn our media. And I have no idea, but I'm guessing you could fit a couple gigs on an UMD.

The only reason you should buy a PSP is for the games, which suck anyways. GTA got old...

In all, PSP is crap.

>let me know what you think.
Yjaxygames
I haven't got a PSP, but if it's true what you're saying, it indeed sucks (not totally).
Chon
I agree with you, its pretty much an overly priced fashion item, but it has its goods.
testoo
I dislike the PSP
I've got a lot of friends who have bought it and it's already broken (after 9 months!)
I prefer the computers...
We can make a lot of things with...
root
Yah, I just started the topic because I'm looking to buy a handheld console. So far, I think the Gameboy SP is the best. I think Microsoft is working on a handheld too, I wonder how that's going to turn out.
SilverDogg
well, while i do agree with you, i still think that the psp do have potential.
and the only thing i would buy it for is the games, if there will ever be any interesting, and if they lower the price drastically. i might pick it up in about 5-6 years or so.
ocalhoun
root wrote:
with even a small media collection (~5 gig)

You call that small?
My perscription: use no technology less than five years old for one month.
root
ocalhoun wrote:
root wrote:
with even a small media collection (~5 gig)

You call that small?
My perscription: use no technology less than five years old for one month.


most of the people I know have collections ranging from 50 gig to 1 TB..

5 gig is little over the size of a DVD movie..i think 5 gig is incredibly small, but thats an opinion
driftingfe3s
I don't think its complete crap. There are a few decent games. I'm all for the DS but I don't think you can call the PSP crap unless you actually onwned one and used it for awhile to properly evaluate it. Just my two cents.
Monkeydog
Quote:
buy it for is the games, if there will ever be any interesting

There is Lumines and Me and My Katamari. Razz

Nah, I hate the PSP too, really no games for it...and the DS can do all of that plus has MANY games to back it up.
jeffleo
Games like pokemon. AH JUST KIDDING! XD Indeed, there are some RPGs on DS that really turns me on. And I just can't forget some GBA games either. Smile
Reaper
testoo wrote:
I dislike the PSP
I've got a lot of friends who have bought it and it's already broken (after 9 months!)
I prefer the computers...
We can make a lot of things with...

Ok so what i can figure out from this is that your friends don't take proper care of their stuff, is that what you were trying to get at?
Also don't get the DS system please, about 3/4ths of the time game makers will put somthing on the second screen for no reason at all..... just take a look at some of their successes with golden eye rouge agent, I mean common when you have a better chance of killing your enamys with a grenade vs any hand gun in the game thats just sad. Also there seems to be no use of the second screen besides to look pretty, which it fails miserably at...
benwhite
The second screen is relegated to menu status in a lot of games that aren't built with dual-screen gameplay in mind. It just reduces clutter.

That said, there are a lot of games where the second screen is crucial and well utilized. Playing an FPS on the DS is possibly the worst genre for a handheld game.
psycosquirrel
I'm not going to say anything about the DS here, don't want to start a fanboy flame war Razz

Though the PSP is very good looking, it is cheaply made. Everyone I know who has purchased one has already returned it and gotten another at least once. GTA is amazing though. Very Happy

I'm always sticking to my GBA with a custom flash card so I can play NES games on it Twisted Evil
Monkeydog
Quote:
Also there seems to be no use of the second screen besides to look pretty, which it fails miserably at...

Of course, Warioware, Feel the Magic, Animal Crossing, Metros etc...just totally failed at useing the bottom screen.

Just because the second screen doesn't NEED to be used, doesn't make the game any worse. It just couldn't find a way to utilize the bottom screen, while others can. I find it perfectly fine being a menu if I still have fun playing the game.
SilverDogg
benwhite wrote:
The second screen is relegated to menu status in a lot of games that aren't built with dual-screen gameplay in mind. It just reduces clutter.

That said, there are a lot of games where the second screen is crucial and well utilized. Playing an FPS on the DS is possibly the worst genre for a handheld game.


i disagree. fps on the ds is a very great genre, and i would love to see many many more =). cant wait 'til i get my hands on metroid prime hunters ^_^
jeffleo
FPS on GBA / DS is a nightmare for me. The pixels can kill. O.o It's seriously hard to play and the screen is just so small. I prefer FPS on computer or PS2. FPS on PSP ain't any better. Wink
SilverDogg
gba = nightmare
ds = nearly as good as mouse+keyboard

it works really well on the ds =). and i hope it will work just as well on the rev aswell Wink. no wait, a lot better than on the ds actually!
root
psycosquirrel wrote:
I'm not going to say anything about the DS here, don't want to start a fanboy flame war Razz

Though the PSP is very good looking, it is cheaply made. Everyone I know who has purchased one has already returned it and gotten another at least once. GTA is amazing though. Very Happy

I'm always sticking to my GBA with a custom flash card so I can play NES games on it Twisted Evil


where'd you get a flash card to play NES games on it?
Mason11987
I have a psp right now, but I didnt' get it really for a media tool. I don't download music, and I won't buy umd movies (I think that's stupid). BUT I think there are a few fun games. Namely tony hawk underground 2, wipeout pure, and I think GTA is fun personally. I also have twisted metal black, dead to rights, and x-men...armegeddon I think. The last 3 aren't BAD really, but I wouldn't have bought them myself. I want to get Lumines myself.

The problem with most of these games is they aren't REALLY "handheld" games, they don't fit the purpose of a handheld, that's why most people don't like it. But there is a game called "Exit" (look it up) that is coming out soon and I think that will be very exciting and will be more like what a handheld game should be. Also, the internet service isn't working very well for them and the DS is destroying it in that department. But it's supposed to have a HUGE amount of connectivity with the PS3 (which I will eventually get), which will improve on that I'm sure. It has a browser which has been useful to me for checking my email (it's not like i carry a laptop around).

Overall the problem is that the DS has gotten HUGE support from Japan, and the PSP hasn't. The DS has outsold the PSP 2:1 in Japan, and still outsold hte PSP in america (although the gap is relatively small, maybe 20:19). It's because all the games are ports of games that didn't sell well in japan. Once sony (and other PSP game devs) realize that handheld games CANT be just slightly worse console ports, it'll improve, that is, if they realize. We'll have to see though. I don't think the PSP "sucks" the console itself has GREAT potential, developers have failed to utilize that yet though, so I PROBABLY would suggst a DS over the PSP for now at least.
Bist Master
If the PSP is such a load of crap, what about those that can't afford an iPod? I think PSP was built more for games anyways... If you want to listen to music, then just buy an MP3 player or a walkman or something.
PoweredDeath
PSP is intended more of a game player and not a music player. But its a very cool addition, not to mention movies and online browsing. I love my psp and can't wait for Final Fantasy to come out for it.
Sir Vossy
Well i have gotten a psp for xmas from my mother i have a 2gb stick and can fit 2 games and like 100 songs which is not that bad and the games are full so i find the psp quite good but if u havnt got the money to buy a mem stick and only the money to buy a psp i would recommend u not to buy 1 because then there is no point because you wont be ablke to put your own games on either which sucks, also i downgraded my psp to V 1,5 so it can play any psp game from any country which is really cool and i ave got like 40 psp games aswell:D on 4 dvd discs:D
a.Bird
root wrote:
The PSP is really overrated. The whole idea of it being a media player thing is completely ruined by the fact that you need memory sticks to put the media on. (correct me if im wrong but I think you still need memory sticks for music, movies, pictures..etc)

The only alternative would be to make the system have internal memory, and for it to be anything significant they would have to use an HDD. That would not only jack up the price exceptionally, but the games would have to be purchased on the internet in a digital format that you can transfer to the PSP which would be very inconvenient for the majority of people who use the system.

You need some memory unit of some kind for any other system, whether it be smart media, compact disc, whatever Nintendo is using for their DS, etc. Actually, I don't really understand your attack at the idea of using a memory stick, it only seems that you are mindlessly bigoted against the PSP.

root wrote:
After you've compressed a movie you might be able to fit 2-3 movies on a 1 gig stick, which is expensive btw. There is no way that the PSP can replace an iPod as a media player in any way what so ever.

I don't think their goal is to replace the iPod.. are you forgetting that the PSP can play near-ps2-quality games? I don't think the iPod can do this to any degree. What's more, the iPod isn't anything to compare anything else to, it's simply a terribly HDD mp3 player. Check out the iAudio for a quality player.

root wrote:
The only reason you should buy a PSP is for the games, which suck anyways. GTA got old...

In all, PSP is crap.

>let me know what you think.

I think it's crap that you are calling the PSP crap because it's YOUR OPINION that their games aren't that good. That doesn't mean that the PSP is actually "crap". Come out with something better, or stop buying into all of this commercialism and save yourself the energy.
Josso
One of my friends has a PSP... I agree they are slightly over-rated but I like the big screen and the movie thing (with the discs). Admittedly they won't blow Apple out of the market with it like they were probably planning to do.
benwhite
SilverDogg wrote:
benwhite wrote:
The second screen is relegated to menu status in a lot of games that aren't built with dual-screen gameplay in mind. It just reduces clutter.

That said, there are a lot of games where the second screen is crucial and well utilized. Playing an FPS on the DS is possibly the worst genre for a handheld game.


i disagree. fps on the ds is a very great genre, and i would love to see many many more =). cant wait 'til i get my hands on metroid prime hunters ^_^


I didn't say there weren't good FPS games on the DS, just that games in 3d that require heavy depth perception and enemy recognition are probably the least suited for a handheld game. Not to say that they can't be done well, just that, as opposed to a puzzle or platform or a top-down zelda-style adventure game, FPS is both more taxing on the system and slightly harder to work out. Metroid, of course, is a top-notch game.
bloody_grunt
PSP sucks the lack of a second analog stick makes it almost useless for FPS games which are my favorite type of games. I bought one not for the games but more for other stuff such as music and wireless internet.
Frag
root wrote:
The PSP is really overrated.


First I reckon you dont have one, you have a DS i reckon, you played a psp an got annoyed at how much better it was to your measly ds.


root wrote:
The whole idea of it being a media player thing is completely ruined by the fact that you need memory sticks to put the media on. (correct me if im wrong but I think you still need memory sticks for music, movies, pictures..etc) After you've compressed a movie you might be able to fit 2-3 movies on a 1 gig stick, which is expensive btw. There is no way that the PSP can replace an iPod as a media player in any way what so ever.


The thing is it is not trying to replace an iPod in any way, its a hand held games console, which like everything in this world is trying to be somthing extra on top, like any mobile phone, its a games console that can also play music and video. Oh an if you had not noticed mp4 files are a heck of a lot smaller than dvd movies.

root wrote:
In all, PSP is crap.

>let me know what you think.


You dont have a clue, its not really surprising, your putting down a console you cant either afford or have broke at your own hands. Your opinions matter in this world but not when you put them so blunt an so lame like you just did there. The psp is the best hand held games console out there. I have many games all of which are great to play, I have many movies on my memory stick too and as its so easy to change stuff on your stick you can keep changing an watch loadsa different things.

Stop loving the ds so much you have to post stupid comments like that, and go out an buy yourself a psp Rolling Eyes


imo
Monkeydog
Quote:
The psp is the best hand held games console out there.

Prove it.

I'm pretty sure you can't.
The DS is the king of handheld games, by sales and reviews, not the PSP.
SilverDogg
Frag wrote:
root wrote:
The PSP is really overrated.


First I reckon you dont have one, you have a DS i reckon, you played a psp an got annoyed at how much better it was to your measly ds.


root wrote:
The whole idea of it being a media player thing is completely ruined by the fact that you need memory sticks to put the media on. (correct me if im wrong but I think you still need memory sticks for music, movies, pictures..etc) After you've compressed a movie you might be able to fit 2-3 movies on a 1 gig stick, which is expensive btw. There is no way that the PSP can replace an iPod as a media player in any way what so ever.


The thing is it is not trying to replace an iPod in any way, its a hand held games console, which like everything in this world is trying to be somthing extra on top, like any mobile phone, its a games console that can also play music and video. Oh an if you had not noticed mp4 files are a heck of a lot smaller than dvd movies.

root wrote:
In all, PSP is crap.

>let me know what you think.


You dont have a clue, its not really surprising, your putting down a console you cant either afford or have broke at your own hands. Your opinions matter in this world but not when you put them so blunt an so lame like you just did there. The psp is the best hand held games console out there. I have many games all of which are great to play, I have many movies on my memory stick too and as its so easy to change stuff on your stick you can keep changing an watch loadsa different things.

Stop loving the ds so much you have to post stupid comments like that, and go out an buy yourself a psp Rolling Eyes


imo


stop loving the psp so much and go out and try a ds Wink
root
I don't love the DS and, yes, the PSP does suck, and appartently all of the previous posters agreed with me.
root
And yes, I realize mp4 files are smaller than DVD's.....that doesn't mean you could still upload a decent amount of movies.
root
And: for any game console, no matter the features that come with it, the games are what set it apart from every thing else. A lot of the games on PSP are ports from the PS2 which arn't even designed to play as a handheld game. The games on PSP are bad, have you not had enough GTA?
Reaper
Monkeydog wrote:
Quote:
The psp is the best hand held games console out there.

Prove it.

I'm pretty sure you can't.
The DS is the king of handheld games, by sales and reviews, not the PSP.

The only problem with the DS is that the system its self lacks any games that are actually good. And as someone earlier said pretty much all the AI on the DS are about as smart as a huge pile of crap. Seriously in pretty much all first person shooters the AI screws up majorly.
Also as far as I can tell the psp was built for games that require quality graphics while the DS was built for games that require little or no graphics. Whats the problem with that?? its quite simple, people keep on trying to put high graphic games on the low graphic DS system.

also root people might take you more seriously if I dunno..... you used the goddam edit tool instead of posting 3 diffrent things within a few pissing minutes of each other!
root
Reaper wrote:
Monkeydog wrote:
Quote:
The psp is the best hand held games console out there.

Prove it.

I'm pretty sure you can't.
The DS is the king of handheld games, by sales and reviews, not the PSP.

The only problem with the DS is that the system its self lacks any games that are actually good. And as someone earlier said pretty much all the AI on the DS are about as smart as a huge pile of crap. Seriously in pretty much all first person shooters the AI screws up majorly.
Also as far as I can tell the psp was built for games that require quality graphics while the DS was built for games that require little or no graphics. Whats the problem with that?? its quite simple, people keep on trying to put high graphic games on the low graphic DS system.

also root people might take you more seriously if I dunno..... you used the goddam edit tool instead of posting 3 diffrent things within a few pissing minutes of each other!


lol, i like triple posting
Monkeydog
"DS is that the system its self lacks any games that are actually good"
I consider Animal Crossing, Wario Ware, Mario Kart, Phoneix Wright, Castlevania, Advanced Wars, Metros and a few other games all better than anything found on the PSP.

Ohhh and Tetris DS comes out soon...me wants.
SilverDogg
saying that the ds lacks good games is lika saying the ps2 was a failure. its stupid and you must be blind and totally friggin ignorant to see that its all wrong.

the psp sells because of its features, the ds sells because of the games. just face the facts!

how many games have you seen in the top-10 sales lists? how many ds-games have you seen? if we take japan for example, out of 10 games, 7-8 are nintendo ds games. psp are nowhere to be seen.
root
SilverDogg wrote:
saying that the ds lacks good games is lika saying the ps2 was a failure. its stupid and you must be blind and totally friggin ignorant to see that its all wrong.

the psp sells because of its features, the ds sells because of the games. just face the facts!

how many games have you seen in the top-10 sales lists? how many ds-games have you seen? if we take japan for example, out of 10 games, 7-8 are nintendo ds games. psp are nowhere to be seen.


I agree with you, but the features on the PSP are utterly useless.
SMCentral
all of you just cant get one thats why (your broke) you got money and envy all da people who have one

i have 3 and i know its the best every gaming console


haha(please i hope no is hurt or upset lol)
Frag
Quote:

Stop loving the ds so much you have to post stupid comments like that, and go out an buy yourself a psp Rolling Eyes


imo



I got one Rolling Eyes

An its not bad for some games but its in nothing compared to a psp.
Frag
SilverDogg wrote:
saying that the ds lacks good games is lika saying the ps2 was a failure. its stupid and you must be blind and totally friggin ignorant to see that its all wrong.

the psp sells because of its features, the ds sells because of the games. just face the facts!

how many games have you seen in the top-10 sales lists? how many ds-games have you seen? if we take japan for example, out of 10 games, 7-8 are nintendo ds games. psp are nowhere to be seen.


Why does everything have to be taken from Japan, so big deal one country likes a console, they also like Sushi and Final Fantasy It still does not make the psp a crap console.

All of you should actually try out the games on the PSP rather than just whining, an think about it the DS has been out so long now ofc its gonna have established games, the PSP is at that point like the ps2 got to where it dropped its price everyone got one and all the games companies made great games for it. There will be some great games to come on the PSP an I for one cant wait.
cueno
The PSP is really just fun to watch in my opinion, however I don't think that I would drop the bucks to get one myself, no no, im saving up for the PS3 my friends. I cannot wait until summer, or whenever its supposed to come out.
SilverDogg
Frag wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:
saying that the ds lacks good games is lika saying the ps2 was a failure. its stupid and you must be blind and totally friggin ignorant to see that its all wrong.

the psp sells because of its features, the ds sells because of the games. just face the facts!

how many games have you seen in the top-10 sales lists? how many ds-games have you seen? if we take japan for example, out of 10 games, 7-8 are nintendo ds games. psp are nowhere to be seen.


Why does everything have to be taken from Japan, so big deal one country likes a console, they also like Sushi and Final Fantasy It still does not make the psp a crap console.

All of you should actually try out the games on the PSP rather than just whining, an think about it the DS has been out so long now ofc its gonna have established games, the PSP is at that point like the ps2 got to where it dropped its price everyone got one and all the games companies made great games for it. There will be some great games to come on the PSP an I for one cant wait.


well, i can take any other country as an example aswell, but the only country that provides numbers is in fact japan. ds is in the lead all over the world. still gonna whine?

and if you read all my post i never said the psp is a crap console. in fact, i said it got potential. so how about you start reading the posts, and then you can start whining. otherwise, stop posting troll!
bladesage
Since I first got word of it's...idealistic production (about 2 1/2 weeks before it was announced publicly), I did not think hard before I concluded that they were just trying to make an answer to Nintendo's long line of Game Boys. A diehard Nintendo fan, I decided to investigate.

They having announced that they would use a special form of compact disc, well, made me laugh until my sides nearly collapsed! Seriously, does anybody else know how much power it takes to run a motor for any disc reader? Have you felt the difference in weight between a laptop of that time with, and without a battery? Running a motor -even that tiny- would take a ridiculous amount of DC battery power! That "tiny" difference can make all the difference in battery life.

And yes, they also decided to use a special compression format, which not only makes them take more energy just to proccess 12 seconds of datum, but makes it little but impossible to maintain a reasonable manufacturing cost! Yes, 97% of the games are absolute crap, and the ones that aren't are the ones for other systems, too.

-Yes, the PSP reeks out loud.
-No, it will never replace mp3/portable media players such as my iriver U10
-No, I have absolutely no clue why my nephew is totally obssessed with driving my sister and brother-in-law nuts until they get him one
-Yes, I did know before the PSP was coming out, like the other systems since 1994
-Yes, I have friends in 'high' places in Sony
-Yes, that is how I confirmed much of this info

The PSP does suck out loud.
bladesage
root wrote:
psycosquirrel wrote:
I'm not going to say anything about the DS here, don't want to start a fanboy flame war Razz

Though the PSP is very good looking, it is cheaply made. Everyone I know who has purchased one has already returned it and gotten another at least once. GTA is amazing though. Very Happy

I'm always sticking to my GBA with a custom flash card so I can play NES games on it Twisted Evil


where'd you get a flash card to play NES games on it?



They manufacture them in Japan. Unfortunately, only market them in Japan. The idea just didn't catch on with the surveyed Americans.
jeffleo
Final Fantasy is not on PSP, what's it gotta do with anything? =x
Anyways, this topic is getting heated up, don't start flaming each other okaes? And erm... about DS good games, indeed, Phoenix Wright is good. Smile Also, PSP does not, I repeat, does not has games that are as good as DS games. ( Only some minority ) PSP's features is good, but you might as well buy a Creative Video thingy? ( I forgot the name for it, but it's 30 GB and can store videos, photos, etc. ) And the Creative thingy serves it's purpose. And if you are in for the games, buy DS. PSP IS crap. Even GTA can't make up for it.
samielx3x
The PSP's suck ass, the have limited funtionality, can't downgrade all firmwares and the well just suck. Thats why I went out and bought a Linux based GP2X portable gaming system, works like the PSP just more functions and all games are free....
Hanpusu-kun
I think we should except the PSP as a game console.
I think it would be named more like a multimeda player with gaming functions.

Or am I wrong?
daniel_l_135
root wrote:
There is no way that the PSP can replace an iPod as a media player in any way what so ever.


It doesn't need to. There are far better media players out there that are also much less expensive. I hate the look of ipods as well. And pretty much the look of any apple products.
Motoracer380
you know.... if psp and all of its accesories where about half their price i would probably have one... but i just dont want to be using games when im out... i eman.. video games are for he house.. when im out its for a reason and i dont need games to distract me while im out.. if your going out long enough to want video games... you wither have no life... or it's so long that you might as well bring your xbox or ps2 and a tv.
Hanpusu-kun
Richous05 wrote:
Just a few words. You call yourself a gamer?

Yeah, I'm an fully fledged gamer, but I'm just saying the facts.
The PSP has more audience as a multimedia thingy, then a game console.
Really.
AzTeK
root wrote:
have you not had enough GTA?

I don't know about anyone else but it's ironic how root keeps referring to GTA and how it's getting old, hmm hasn't Nintendo been doing the same thing for years and years? Hell the reason so many people enjoy Nintendo is because they whant to keep playing their old games.
waiteck
root wrote:
To remedy this, Sony should release blank UMDs to which we can burn our media. And I have no idea, but I'm guessing you could fit a couple gigs on an UMD.


Haha.. Sony would not release a UMD burner.. Or else people will be ripping their umds and sell to others as a copy. Also, there isn't a rewritable UMD yet..
eLto
Having basically just read the first post here, I felt like I had to retort.

The PSP in it's own is genuality in a box. a black box with a widescreen.

The thing you mock here about videos not fitting on a memory stick is pure BS. You can easily compress your own videos with pspvideo9 (a program) and memory sticks are REALLY cheap these days. the music player isn't the best around, but it produces good enough sound for basically anyone not in the music production business. The video quality surpasses DVD in all aspects except sound, according to it's size, that is.

The games are not all great yet, but assuming to Sony, you won't even need to play games on this little baby. Video-chat functions and likeness are expected later this year. in addition to GPS, that would make the little baby even more attractive.

As for "GTA got old" I suppose you're just sick of GTA. If you can honestly say that Liberty City stories isn't a good game, look at the hardware specs for the PSP. according to them, there's no way that GTA should even run on it, but it does. and not only smooth, it runs like a jew through berlin in 1942.

did that clear your mind at least a little bit? I hope so, cause you're obviously missing out.
bladesage
eLto wrote:
Having basically just read the first post here, I felt like I had to retort.

The PSP in it's own is genuality in a box. a black box with a widescreen.

The thing you mock here about videos not fitting on a memory stick is pure BS. You can easily compress your own videos with pspvideo9 (a program) and memory sticks are REALLY cheap these days. the music player isn't the best around, but it produces good enough sound for basically anyone not in the music production business. The video quality surpasses DVD in all aspects except sound, according to it's size, that is.

The games are not all great yet, but assuming to Sony, you won't even need to play games on this little baby. Video-chat functions and likeness are expected later this year. in addition to GPS, that would make the little baby even more attractive.

As for "GTA got old" I suppose you're just sick of GTA. If you can honestly say that Liberty City stories isn't a good game, look at the hardware specs for the PSP. according to them, there's no way that GTA should even run on it, but it does. and not only smooth, it runs like a jew through berlin in 1942.

did that clear your mind at least a little bit? I hope so, cause you're obviously missing out.


Memory sticks? Cheap? I paid $60 for a 256MB memory stick, and it was on sale! On the other hand, it is fair that you support the Sony company. Just because this forum is here to discuss its flaws doesn't mean it isn't right that somebody should speak for their side. Just prepare for opposition, if anyone else still watches this forum.
MPHunters
I total agree with the first post (the only one i bothered to read) the PSP is highly over rated who needs a media device.. especially movies. Who wants to watch movies on that small screen. It has like 2 good real games the rest are sports games. If you want to really have fun and play fun games get the Nintendo DS. It is by far superoir in game inovation and game funness (if thats a word) to the PSP
indeedwrestling
A frustrating part of owning as PSP is the fact they continually release "security" and "firmware" updates which basically are designed to just cripple people from running emulators and other programs on their system. I understand why they do it but I think it's only generating negativity and anger in the sectors that would care about these things. In terms of graphics and whatnot, it's a stunning device.
Dustie
i don΄t really get the point here Confused the psp is a great console, i have one and like it beter than my friends ds. plus if you put homebrew on it you can play nintendo games you download over the internet.
Sinars
I myself am quite a big fan of the PSP. I use mine all the time. I do however; only use it for games. So your original argument on the whole media player side of it is still valid. I thought most of the games were quite good for a portable device. Prince of Persia Revelations is the ultimate game to be able to play while on the move. I thought DS had HUGE potential in the way it offered a touch screen to play games with, but the lack of good games, graphics and the long wait for any good titles for it was a big let down.
oneightwo
ok, i have a PSP and i am completely satisfied with it. Plus i also have a 60GB iPod (with video) and i much prefer watching movies on the PSP for many reasons; 1. Bigger screen, 2. More controls, 3. speakers (although not as loud as the should/could be).

Also, the psp has an awesome homebrew community (eg. http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk )

I love how i can play old SNES, NES, etc. roms on my PSP. Plus i can go online from any hotspot (at home - at school!) and soon SONY is releasing a PSone emulator (official) and i'll be able to download old PSone games, PSP game demos, and 'official homebrew'.

I do love my iPod aswell, especially the 60Gb of space. Infact it's probably better than my psp, but my psp is still great because of the awesome games, etc.

edit:
reading some previous posts, i had to add to this.

1. I bought my 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo last year for $120 AU (About $80US). This February my brother bought an Official SONY 2GB Memory Stick High-Speed PRO Duo for the same price. So if you paid $60US for a 256mb card, you got ripped off.

As for movies, i can fit 3 movies (compressed with PSP Video 9) and about 50 songs on my Memory Stick (1GB) along with homebrew with room to spare for Save Games.

Now do i need more than that? no! If movies are (on average) about 1 hour 30 minutes, then that makes 4:30 of just movies. Then i have my 50 songs (about 200 minutes - 3h20m) So that's 7:50 already, not including playing games, homebrew and using the internet. Now why the hell would i want to be using any device for that long?

Sorry but i just had to rant. Hope this clears up your misconceptions Wink
Boles Roor
oneightwo wrote:
Now do i need more than that? no! If movies are (on average) about 1 hour 30 minutes, then that makes 4:30 of just movies. Then i have my 50 songs (about 200 minutes - 3h20m) So that's 7:50 already, not including playing games, homebrew and using the internet. Now why the hell would i want to be using any device for that long?
You can't, the battery won't last. Laughing
oneightwo
O_o

i can. i have the standard battery and it lasts 6-8 hours.
ReidE96
Standard PSP battery lasts 6-8 hours of games froma full charge, 3-4 hours of movie, again from a full charge. Don't ask me why, but for some reason it is. Possibly the better quality graphics of a movie require more processing. Anyway, DS has minimum 10 hours games from a full charge, but I can usually squeeze about 13 from mine (no, I don't use it all at once, play some one day, then again the next, commuting gets boring if you don't like newspapers or don't want to read one). And movies have the same time length (hooray for neoflash having a little extraa CPU in it).

DS runs regular SD cards, and that's what neoflash uses. And DS Lite has louder speakers than PSP, so ha!
oneightwo
the psp battery last about 5-6 for games (UMD) and 4-5 for movies (UMD), but for movies off the memory stick its much longer, because it doesn't require the power to spin the UMD drive, so it lasts about 8 hours for me. ATLEAST 6 hours.
Helios
You can use an adapter if you're close to an electrical plug point.
Razz

If you don't have one, you can always build one Razz
Omega_Squid
Laughing sooo true! why spend $250 dollars on a PSP, when you'd have to buy a case or screen protector to keep it from getting scratched (because its open faced), when you could get a DS, wich is cheaper, has free worldwide wifi multiplayer on now 5 games, and it folds shut, protecting both screens when not in use! I recommend that you do buy a case, just in case you are really bad to technology at times! Wink
Marco
Well, I got a psp because of the good graphics, because I can use emulators on it, because it has better graphics than the DS... And yes, I know, the DS has a better gameplay... but the GBA is still better than the DS if it comes to gameplay...
Zal91
Most of the people I know dont even play games on their PSP thy just run Homebrew.
eowyn
psp sux... i agree
Jerimiah40
I wouldn't say that the PSP *sucks*, persay. True, it has a lack of good games, the proprietary UMD format is a stupid concept, it has a horrendously low batterly life, you need a seperate memory stick to do practically anything........

Okay, so it doesn't have very many good qualities. But you can surf the web on it, that's pretty cool in my opinion. Except that the screen's so small that it's useless.... Wow, I can think of absolutely nothing good to say about it!
Marco
Well that might be true, although I don't understand what's bad about UMD's. Anyway you don't need to buy an extra memorystick since it comes along with the psp value pack, you only have to buy a memorystick with more memory if you want to have many GOOD homebrew, movies and music on your psp (just like I do), it costs a bit more, but it's worth your money
waiteck
I totally disagree with you guys.. I myself own a psp..
Let me tell you guys why..

1) Its has much better graphics as compared to other handheld consoles.
2) It can play homebrew applications like AFKIM AIM/MSN/YAHOO/Many more Messenger..
3) You can surf the web with it.
4) You can play Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advanced, DS Games on a psp with firmware 1.5.
5) You can listen to radio, mp3s and even watch mp4 movies on it.
6) The system itself is beautiful ^^..
7) You can play isos of ripped psp games through the memory stick lol..
8) Ability to play multiplayer games online or through adhoc..
And many more..

There are still much more features of a 1.5 firmware PSP..

Although the Sony MS Stick Pro Duo is Expensive, all you need is a 2Gb stick which will satisfy your entertainment needs.. After you feel sick of the applications/games/movies you can simply connect to your pc and just change them..

Thats why I say that PSP is much more of a better choice among the group of handheld consoles.
1one1
It is overrated, but it's not that bad of a system. I still don't like it that much though. :-/ It's just not worth $250.
Quote:
2) It can play homebrew applications like AFKIM AIM/MSN/YAHOO/Many more Messenger..
Thats pointless since there is no keyboard for it yet. and as for being able to play GB Games, I got the 2.6 update so I'm screwed. You also can't listen to FM Radio, If you can please show me how.
ReidE96
I must continue my defeating psp.......

ds browser: http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/

point n click like a mouse

and running nintendo software on a psp is 100% illegal.

unless you own an original copy of the nes/snes/n64/gb/gbc/gba/whatever concole it is game.
oneightwo
...why do people say that the psp web browser is useless because of the small screen size, then say the DS web browser is awesome, even though the total size of the DS screens is smaller then the PSP's one screen... Shocked Confused
Cthulhuman

my psp broke cause my little brother stepped on it
here is the original picture
milkmandan
ooohhh man, those pictures hurt.

i haven't used a psp but my sister and her boyfriend both have a ds and they're pretty sick. come on man, portable mario kart? what more do you want?!
Ultima1080
Ewwww...sucks to be that PSP...

PSPs aren't that bad though. People bitch about how their media play application isn't that practical, especially with that of an iPOD. Well, heres a hint: THE PSP WASN'T MEANT TO REPLACE THE iPOD!. Boo friggin whoo, you have to buy a memory stick to put music on your PSP. I don't think Sony was meaning to screw people into buying memory sticks, instead, they opened functionality to people who already had memory sticks. If you want 60 GB of music, get a Creative Labs MP3 player (because iPODS are such a rip off).
djsamsung
Woohoo! Very Happy I love PSP, it's the ultimate portable entertainment device only available...

will there be a new version? i want more space for medias. Twisted Evil
AdamantMonk
Why the PSP sucks...


Their fans are polluting our planet with smug.
Vanquish
I think the PSP is great, but you would complain if it only had games and say it was just like a gameboy, so instead they allowed you to put music, videos and other media onto it just as an extra feature, after all it's a playstation, and they are designed for games. They just put the others in for extra features to basically make it a better console, theres no need to call it crap because it's actually only really meant for games, which you may not think are brilliant, but others do. But anyway, everyone has a right to their own opinions and thoughts, but mine is that the PSP is a very good handheld console.
Regards,
Neal
goku_br
I bought a PSP because I thought I was gonna be able to play SNES emulators on it... But the ones that are available suck... Mad The games run too slow or don't run at all. Not to mention those horrible buittons... Damn, I wish I had bought a DS...
Marco
Hmmm?... I don't know which snes emulator you use, but I don't have much problems with mine
milkmandan
AdamantMonk wrote:
Why the PSP sucks...


Their fans are polluting our planet with smug.


HAHAHA... nothing against the psp owners, but i laughed so hard out loud when i read that. nice south park reference. Laughing
Whong
Boles Roor wrote:
oneightwo wrote:
Now do i need more than that? no! If movies are (on average) about 1 hour 30 minutes, then that makes 4:30 of just movies. Then i have my 50 songs (about 200 minutes - 3h20m) So that's 7:50 already, not including playing games, homebrew and using the internet. Now why the hell would i want to be using any device for that long?
You can't, the battery won't last. Laughing


Sony has copied Nintendo's idea! Nintendo was the first to bring portable gaming to us, but now Sony has stolen it! Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

Nintendo's DS is way better and has better ideas than Sony! Wink

Buy Nintendo, Choose Nintendo, Play Nintedo! Wink
Kelcey
Whong wrote:
Boles Roor wrote:
oneightwo wrote:
Now do i need more than that? no! If movies are (on average) about 1 hour 30 minutes, then that makes 4:30 of just movies. Then i have my 50 songs (about 200 minutes - 3h20m) So that's 7:50 already, not including playing games, homebrew and using the internet. Now why the hell would i want to be using any device for that long?
You can't, the battery won't last. Laughing


Sony has copied Nintendo's idea! Nintendo was the first to bring portable gaming to us, but now Sony has stolen it! Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

Nintendo's DS is way better and has better ideas than Sony! Wink

Buy Nintendo, Choose Nintendo, Play Nintedo! Wink


Don't forget that Sega had a Gamegear. If Sony stole Nintendo's idea this time around, they would have a touch screen which they don't. Furthermore, the PSP is insanely different from the DS as it acts like more of a multimedia device than a gaming device. I'll say the DS is better for gaming, but Sony's PSP is hardly a "stolen idea" from Nintendo. There have been plenty of portables around before the PSP.
ReidE96
oneightwo wrote:
...why do people say that the psp web browser is useless because of the small screen size, then say the DS web browser is awesome, even though the total size of the DS screens is smaller then the PSP's one screen... Shocked Confused


PSP screen area (total): 4.3 sq inches
DS screen area (total): 6 sq inches (3 sq inches on each)

Both figures taken from the respective websites.

How often must the PSP fanboys be proved wrong.......how often must it happen before they accept that Nintendo is king.....
Joe944
Hah, it seems like the Nintendo fanboys are rampant in these parts. Got nothing better to do than flame?

This thread should be closed as its only purpose is a troll feeder.

The PSP has its problems. Memory being a huge one. With the recent release of 4 and 8 GB pro duo cards the PSP is becoming a lot more effective as an jack-of-all-trades media powerhouse.

I actually own a PSP unlike 90% of you posting in this thread. The complaints you guys are posting are completely ridiculous. Comparing the hardware capabilities of the DS vs. PSP is not even worth it as the PSP spanks the DS in almost every way.

You can say the same thing about the DS and the quality of games though. I definitely give Nintendo props for the DS as it is a superb portable gaming device. That's it, though.

The PSP does not match the Ipod in terms of audio entertainment. It shouldn't though because that's all the ipod freakin does. For someone like me the PSP is perfect. I'm not going to listen to 20 gigs of music and I use up my battery life much quicker than I run out of things to do with my PSP. It also takes about 5 seconds for me to change up my current media on my PSP.

Don't even get me started on the joys of RSS feeds.
eLto
Well, I must admit the PSP got boring after a while. At first, I only had car-games like Need for Speed, Burnout and such, but after I started buying new games, I realised how much I really enjoyed it. ESPECIALLY GTA: Liberty City Stories. This game is so huge it matches the original GTA3 and expands. Now how is the PSP not a good console then?

Okay, so maybe the whole UMD-Video is not such a good idea for the masses, but I enjoy watching a film while taking a boat or a plane. The buss, even. I like to not have to play for 4 hours of boating, but to have a choice. If I want to, I can play some, watch a film, and chill with music afterwards. i mean, a memory stick with 1GB stores enough music for 40 minutes or whatever's left of the ride.

now, for my review of the PSP specs.
The screen.
true 16:9 format and it's HUGE compared to it's overall size
The audio.
Quick, get rid of the bundled headbuds, and buy a proper headset. the speakers.... well, they aren't all good.
The Game capatabilities:
I would like to call the PSP a Playstation 1.5. It's basically in-between the Psone and the Ps2 when it comes to performance, and all the keys are there, except from the second analog stick. to be honest, when I bought it, I thought the analog stick was a speaker.
Video capabilites
Although it's not the same as watching a 42inch HD screen, it still kicks the DVD quality's ass. with the crystal-clear screen the PSP features, if you put a UMD video in there, it'll blow you away.
Audio capabilities
So it's not the best mp3-player out there. but it's definetly not a bad one either. put a good headset in there, and you'll have a blast!
Memory Stick
Although most peope can only afford 2GB sticks, that is enough for your musical needs, unless, of course, you're going on an around-the-world trip, in which case I would advise you to look for an all-the-way mp3 player with better batteries. I say that, because honestly, videos put on the stick doesn't get UMD quality, and Games are also on the UMD, unless they're pirated. So believe me when I say that 2gb is enough.

Final thoughts
The PSP is a complete entertainment centre, even matching the PS2 in compatibility. however, you can't gather a group of people to watch it. If, however, you happen to be alone, as most people are with HANDHELD consoles, you'll love it.


And Joe, the newer iPod models actually have games on them. Even the nano versions. Even though they're very much like the high standard of 1977, they're still there.

And Reid; it's two screens, not one. besides, only the top one of the DS can provide heavy graphics.
moejoe
Over Rated: Over Priced

Smuge Marks, Non-TFT Screen, Crappy-Res, WAY to OverPriced, Comes with Sh*t Memory!

=

A Brand New PSP!


I Wanted one of these, Until my friend Brought it...

Ussally i would stay on a new Game Console For WEEKS! But the PSP, I threw away in 1 hour.

The Games Are S#!T, and my friend has 'mis-placed' his psp... Laughing

Sorry Sony,
You Just Didn't Cut it this time.
Ljsk
Lmao!
Joe944
Another reason why I am quite fond of my PSP is that I bought it cheap from a friend who barely used it Very Happy. The PSP itself ended up being about $120 in perfect condition and no dead pixels.

Only had it about a month now but I I foresee myself using it for a long time.

Elto, I realize that, but you have to admit that doesn't really match the gaming potential of the PSP.

Moejoe.. I can't tell if it's your grammar or if you are being sarcastic but you aren't really saying anything by saying that the games are shit.
ReidE96
elTo wrote:
And Reid; it's two screens, not one. besides, only the top one of the DS can provide heavy graphics.


Both screens have equal graphical capabilities. ARM7 chip for top screen and ARM9 chip for bottom screen to handle touch capability in addition to the same graphic quality. Metroid Prime Hunters out on Friday, graphics will finally shut up all those PSP fanboys.

Finally, I'm not saying PSP is bad, I'm saying DS is better.

Editted to make the quote work
mceejaydee
I think PSP is pretty cool. PSP does suck though, the controls are hard for me to handle to play a game. But that's just me.
ReidE96
mceejaydee wrote:
I think PSP is pretty cool. PSP does suck though, the controls are hard for me to handle to play a game. But that's just me.


Ok, that's really contradicting yourself. "it's cool but it sucks" doesn't make sense Razz
screamingdecay
PSP IS FOR GAMES! Yea, I use it for music and such big deal. Ipods are overrated shit. You can get a bigger GB mp3 player cheaper then an gaypod Rolling Eyes

If you want more space for your PSP then get the HDD device for 199 that holds 4GB and comes with another battery so you get 2x the battery life.
Rolling Eyes

Also, Complaining that you cannot put your illegaly downloaded games (games or homebrew) is retarted. You should be doing that shit anyway.
nealio1000
first guy said: The PSP is really overrated. The whole idea of it being a media player thing is completely ruined by the fact that you need memory sticks to put the media on. (correct me if im wrong but I think you still need memory sticks for music, movies, pictures..etc) After you've compressed a movie you might be able to fit 2-3 movies on a 1 gig stick, which is expensive btw. There is no way that the PSP can replace an iPod as a media player in any way what so ever. The amount of money you would need to spend on memory sticks to use your PSP with even a small media collection (~5 gig) is going to be more expensive than an iPod. To remedy this, Sony should release blank UMDs to which we can burn our media. And I have no idea, but I'm guessing you could fit a couple gigs on an UMD.

The only reason you should buy a PSP is for the games, which suck anyways. GTA got old...

In all, PSP is crap.

>let me know what you think.


Does the ipod play awesome games!? does the ipod have homebrew? does the ipod have GTA cheatdevice?

More like ipood to me!!!

The psp's main function isn't just media!

also does the ipood go on the internet which you could make an rss feed to your itunes playlists so you could lsiten to virtually all of you rmusic on itunes without putting any music on ure psp

Dont forget that firmwate 2.7 jsut came out which sadly eliminates any homebrew or anyother exploits but you can watch and play a variety of flash movies and games
mceejaydee
ReidE96 wrote:
mceejaydee wrote:
I think PSP is pretty cool. PSP does suck though, the controls are hard for me to handle to play a game. But that's just me.


Ok, that's really contradicting yourself. "it's cool but it sucks" doesn't make sense Razz


Lol I guess I said it wrong. Let's see how can I explain this. It's cool in ways like it's portable, good graphics for a hand held system, you can watch movies, listen to music, internet, and other stuff like the controls. Hope I explained it right this time
Ghost Face
Handhelds shouldn't be played unless you're on a long trip.
Jazar
I think the games on the PSP are great, though they aren't as funny as DS games.
The mediaplayerfunction is crap, my Ipod is much easier. Especially the UMDS discs are like "omgwtf?". They cost way too much and I read they many of the producing companies are quitting with it...
DeFwh
Removed by DeFwh|
-----------------------|
__05/26/06_______|

The DS and PSP are very good handhelds.

Its a case by case decision.

Just choose for your needs.

Price should be a factor but dont let it make you weary of purchasing.

Look for alternative places to buy.
Deadfisk
Agree with Silverdogg (and I do have a PSP). It is a revolution in portable entertainment and it looks good as well?
I use it a lot to watch series (Lost, etc.) and about 5 fit on it, no problem. The games will improve once the format gets rolling outside Japan.
fiendskull9
its fun to hack around on,

my friend has one, and it isnt used for much more than ethical hacking and music in his car.

some junk weve done with it -

-cracked the neighbors WEP (LOL)
-cracked the local startbucks' WEP (they found out, we arent allowed in anymore :-/)
-changed the menu items (in linux its quite easy, its just called Menu3772.dat)
-got NES emu running on it

-clay
DeFwh
fiendskull9 wrote:
its fun to hack around on,

my friend has one, and it isnt used for much more than ethical hacking and music in his car.

some junk weve done with it -

-cracked the neighbors WEP (LOL)
-cracked the local startbucks' WEP (they found out, we arent allowed in anymore :-/)
-changed the menu items (in linux its quite easy, its just called Menu3772.dat)
-got NES emu running on it

-clay


nOW thaTS creATIVity. keep up the good work Applause
Gunner54
PSP = The Best And Nothing Can Beat That Apart From The Ps3 I Cant Wait!!!!!
Guyon
I was half thinking about buying one for my son's birthday last year. He really wanted it and only it.

Though after researching it and talking with a sales pe4rsion an Electronics Boutique I discovered how fragile they could be. Since he was only going to be turning 9 we finally chose the Nintendo DS and he totally forgot about the PSP.

A year later it is still working great and he still plays with it all the time. For us that was the right move to make.

But the PSP still looks good.

One HUGE mistake I think sony made was not making the new PS3, PSP disk compatible. So you have to buy both media if you have both.
Whong
So why does PSP suck!

1. It's a cheap copy of Nintendo's Gameboy genre!

2. Nintendo DS offers so much better playing options with the touchscreen!

3. Who in the world would watch movies from a small screen like that? I some times watch small clips from a phone, but would never watch a feature lenght film from a small screen like that!

4. It just sucks, you can't help it! Laughing Idea

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling that people with a PSP have made a wrong choice! If you like PSP its up to you!
I personally don't think Sony has anything worthwhile except their super expency MiniDV Camcorders for serious hobbyist or pros!

I don't like Sony thats my bottom line! Idea
Cthulhuman
The main reason why i bought my psp (RIP) is because of the homebrew capabilities. If sony would just embrace the fact that that is one of the main reasons why a large majority of people buy them is to run homebrew apps on them they wouldn't get rid of every flaw that allows hackers to crack through the os and run their programs. The only reason i got gta was because of the exploit in it so i could run homebrew, my psp may be broken but once i get it fixed i can run roms on it and finally start watching the anime that i never have time to watch. Because really there aren't that many good games for it I mean sure they made a katamari damacy game and they are making a guiarooman game for it and really those are the only games that really apealed to me. I mean i bought twisted metal and the controles for it blew and untold legends was kinda fun. Ridege racer lied to me when it told me that it was mulitplayer through wifi. The unfunctional browser was a failure and really all in all it's a piece of crap that can really be matched ten fold by a video ipod or equivolent. and plus datel made one of the 4 gig thingies for ds so now i can run homebrew on it so **** psp.
Guyon
WOW DeFwh is send me privet messages on this. I wander what he has to gain by pushing PSP's?

So many of his arguments are poor logic or propaganda:
Quote:

5. Youre friend has one and you dont Sad
6. Your a conservatist and dont like a lot of pixels Speak to the hand
7. You would rather buy an expensive ipod and only listen to less than a fifth of your songs a day (if you have a min of 300 songs)

All i can say is you dont already have one your poor or your just a hater n00b


You don't like PSP because you friends have one and you don't? What kind of argument is that. It is sad that people have to revert ot name calling "nOOb" and intimidating to get there point across.

For my 9 year old the DS was a perfect choice. The PSP would not have held up what he put his DS through. Also higher pixels alone do NOT make a better system, and the DS control system is AWESOME. I would not make an even trade for a PSP.

I think DeFwh has DS envy LOL Very Happy Very Happy
killerdevil
i havent got psp and i dont know about psp Smile
DeFwh
Guyon wrote:
WOW DeFwh is send me privet messages on this. I wander what he has to gain by pushing PSP's?

So many of his arguments are poor logic or propaganda:
Quote:

5. Youre friend has one and you dont Sad
6. Your a conservatist and dont like a lot of pixels Speak to the hand
7. You would rather buy an expensive ipod and only listen to less than a fifth of your songs a day (if you have a min of 300 songs)

All i can say is you dont already have one your poor or your just a hater n00b


You don't like PSP because you friends have one and you don't? What kind of argument is that. It is sad that people have to revert ot name calling "nOOb" and intimidating to get there point across.

For my 9 year old the DS was a perfect choice. The PSP would not have held up what he put his DS through. Also higher pixels alone do NOT make a better system, and the DS control system is AWESOME. I would not make an even trade for a PSP.

I think DeFwh has DS envy LOL Very Happy Very Happy


Ive played the DS, I owned one then I sold it because one very specific reason. Is that I would rather play the older version of games like from the first color gameboy. I believe that the games for Nintendo handhelds have gotten extremely cheesy and the handhelds like the DS and its precursor rely on their backwards compatibility to make up for the lack of games created for a system.

Also sometimes bigger is better and smaller just sucks. Seriously would you want a good car or a Totally awesome porsche.

DS is for those nintendo addicts and little kids that cant play games where stuff blows up or acctually look cool.

Also I felt like the DS for how many years gameboys have been around why dont they have different capabilities.


I mean seriously the psp is the first of its kind and its trumped nintendo flat out on the capabilities scale its 15 out of 10

~DeFwh
Guyon
My argument still stands. A PSP would not hold up to my 9 year old (now 10) handling. Anyone that doubts that's send me your PSP for a year. If it lasts I will post a huge apology, and send it back.

Otherwise I stand my ground the DS had held up for a year and a half in perfect condition with everyday play. For my case the DS is the best choice. No if, and, or buts.
SilverDogg
DeFwh wrote:
Guyon wrote:
WOW DeFwh is send me privet messages on this. I wander what he has to gain by pushing PSP's?

So many of his arguments are poor logic or propaganda:
Quote:

5. Youre friend has one and you dont Sad
6. Your a conservatist and dont like a lot of pixels Speak to the hand
7. You would rather buy an expensive ipod and only listen to less than a fifth of your songs a day (if you have a min of 300 songs)

All i can say is you dont already have one your poor or your just a hater n00b


You don't like PSP because you friends have one and you don't? What kind of argument is that. It is sad that people have to revert ot name calling "nOOb" and intimidating to get there point across.

For my 9 year old the DS was a perfect choice. The PSP would not have held up what he put his DS through. Also higher pixels alone do NOT make a better system, and the DS control system is AWESOME. I would not make an even trade for a PSP.

I think DeFwh has DS envy LOL Very Happy Very Happy


Ive played the DS, I owned one then I sold it because one very specific reason. Is that I would rather play the older version of games like from the first color gameboy. I believe that the games for Nintendo handhelds have gotten extremely cheesy and the handhelds like the DS and its precursor rely on their backwards compatibility to make up for the lack of games created for a system.

Also sometimes bigger is better and smaller just sucks. Seriously would you want a good car or a Totally awesome porsche.

DS is for those nintendo addicts and little kids that cant play games where stuff blows up or acctually look cool.

Also I felt like the DS for how many years gameboys have been around why dont they have different capabilities.


I mean seriously the psp is the first of its kind and its trumped nintendo flat out on the capabilities scale its 15 out of 10

~DeFwh


wow, a sonyfanboy.
1. the ds doesnt lack games. i suggest you look things up before even trying to argument.
2. the ds is for ppl who want to play games and have fun, in a quick manner, just like gameboy. the psp is for those who want graphics, lots of stuff in a package, and have all the time in the world.

it doesnt matter if the psp have more capabilities than the ds (which it doesnt really. the psp plays games, as does the ds. the psp plays music, as does the ds. the psp plays videos, as does the ds. the difference is that with the ds you can choose not to have that crap if you just wanna play games.
DeFwh
SilverDogg wrote:
wow, a sonyfanboy.
1. the ds doesnt lack games. i suggest you look things up before even trying to argument.
2. the ds is for ppl who want to play games and have fun, in a quick manner, just like gameboy. the psp is for those who want graphics, lots of stuff in a package, and have all the time in the world.

it doesnt matter if the psp have more capabilities than the ds (which it doesnt really. the psp plays games, as does the ds. the psp plays music, as does the ds. the psp plays videos, as does the ds. the difference is that with the ds you can choose not to have that crap if you just wanna play games.


What movies and also what music? Also what I meant by lack of games is that a larger part of the DS games base is because of its back compatibility. And yes i know the DS is fun, its just that feel that many of the games in general are just cheesy mods of older games that had real stamina and spunk. Also I would say that the PSP and DS could be easily broken by the proper amount of force, water, pen, leaking battery packs or heat.

Also with the DS the games are very easy to lose since they are card like and very slim also these can be broken very easily.

The touch screen is nice but seriously after anybody uses it for a year even with a protection layer, its going to lose touch ability in corners and highly used areas.

The only point really that im trying to get across is that both products are good ones its just that if you have the money you should go with the PSP.

In your case guyon all I can say is that if youre son is mature enough to respect his posesions then the PSP might have been fine. But since i do not know im not saying you did anything wrong its just another one of those things as a parent you have to decide for your children. And i respect that decision and in no way am i telling you what to do with your children.

Seriously all in all both are great handhelds and each have flaws which work against them in most cases. I think that for the sake of frihost this topic be closed because its not very constructive at all and provides info in a very rash form

Also i have removed my earlier post because I think that it was too biast even though this was a very opinionated topic.
SilverDogg
your still biased..

"if you have the money you should buy a psp"

why? give me ONE good reason that just because i have the money i should buy the psp. doesnt the games have ANYTHING to do with it? just because you like the games on the psp, doesnt mean the rest of the world does.

i agree with you that the psp is a fine piece of equipment (even though i couldnt care less about the movie and mp3crap. i watch movies at home and use my mp3player for music), and i would buy it if it was cheaper and had interesting games. there are no interesting games on the psp for me as of now. the ds on the other hand have lots of them. currently im playing animal crossing and metroid prime hunters a lot, and i will buy new super mario bros soon, and probably also that surgery-game.
DeFwh
SilverDogg wrote:
your still biased..

"if you have the money you should buy a psp"

why? give me ONE good reason that just because i have the money i should buy the psp. doesnt the games have ANYTHING to do with it? just because you like the games on the psp, doesnt mean the rest of the world does.

i agree with you that the psp is a fine piece of equipment (even though i couldnt care less about the movie and mp3crap. i watch movies at home and use my mp3player for music), and i would buy it if it was cheaper and had interesting games. there are no interesting games on the psp for me as of now. the ds on the other hand have lots of them. currently im playing animal crossing and metroid prime hunters a lot, and i will buy new super mario bros soon, and probably also that surgery-game.


Ok it has to fit your needs i guess, and in your case your satisfied with watching dvds at home ( i travel ) and well u already have an mp3 player.

Why i said what i said is that its true when u think about it, i mean its got to be something you really want and if you have the money you should buy wahtever you feel fits your needs.

Go buy the DS or PSP, but in the end which one makes you the happiest is the best choice so really you should used both even before posting. not saying anyone hasnt, its just that you get a lot of i heard from my freind that this and this happens.

Whatever makes you happy ppl, im giving up on trying to reason on this issue because theres way too much opinionation thats just reapeating without any facts. Though some ppl have posted quality point/counterpoint posts. It has truly gotten to the point that its just mine is better.

Also just to quell the masses i went and i bought a refurbished DS to add to my handheld collection. Smile So have fun with this topic.
SilverDogg
yea, it fits my needs, and it seems to fit more ppls needs than the psp does.

but of course you are speaking the truth, you should buy what you feel fits you, but you still said it like "if you have the money, ****** the ds, buy a psp, its better because it costs more" (yeah thats a bit exagurated (or however its spelled).

and no, your posts arent better. and do you know why? because you have been biased in every post.

edit: and wth happened to this post yesterday? it dissappeared for me =(
meb09
i have a gameboy advanced i dont like other things then my gameboy i love it psp sucks because well i think that the grapichs are so good so it will lag the grapichs are better then ps1
romsman
well, i got almost all handhelds/consoles up to date (i'm a bit of a collector) and i also have both the PSP and the DS, i really like both handhelds but i must say i prefer the PSP. This isn't because i'm a nintendo fanboy, i've actually liked nintendo consoles better than their sony counterparts, but i'm displeased by the gameslist for the DS, the psp has tons of good and even great games while the DS has only a few, many games on DS feel like a tech demo more than a game, i haven't played a game on DS that really got to me, and that while, if you look further than GTA and coded arms, the psp has some really good games (daxter, legend of heroes, monster hunter freedom, megaman maverick hunter X,...)
evilryu530
you my friend, suck. the psp is worth more than you. prove me wrong.
Spe_eddy
also, i think the psp is a bit bad because of the batery life - its hardly anything compared to ipods and other media devices
MattS
Obviously the PSP's many bad points have been discussed already, so this is (as far as I can tell) the sole good point:

Playing Pro Evolution Soccer 5 on the train.
AdamantMonk
Yea honestly the PSP isn't that bad. Just not amazing.

I'd like the addition of a second thumbstick on a PSP2 considering the lack of control most games seem to have.
Telnven
I don't have any grudges against the PSP, but to be honest I don't think it will knock Nintendo out of the game. I personally prefer the good old PC; and will be looking forward to Microsoft's new offering of the Origami. Until you can get the functionality a PC provides, for example good old mods. Until then I'll be waiting with my laptop.
b-n-g
If i had the money i buy it.. but i dont have Sad
its cool because you can play games and mp3
and you even can play videos!
[img]http://www.consoleshop.nl/images/product/image.php?id=30120&dimensionid=7&shopid=6[/img]
And it has a good design too! Laughing
phinguyen
first of all you cant compare the psp's batterylife to anything else out there because theres nothing else out there that has to power a screen that big and power a graphix processor that strong, AND a motor to spin for an optical drive. its unfair. i mean the closest thing that has a screen that big is like a small personal dvd player and those things (with a battery the size of the entire player) barely lasts two movies. the psp's batterylife is quite exceptional for what kind of hardware that it has to power and if you have the new extended batterypack the thing will play 10 hours of movies or play 4-6 hours of games. you have to admit that the battery is pretty damn good for what it has to do.

but the battery is not the problem, its the software that is out for psp, game titles are suffering with only a few games holding up the psp (and i myself, am not a GTA fan, which leaves me with little to choose from) the thing is a damn fine piece of hardware, its sexy, its powerful, its light, and its portable, and those of you like me that have 1.5 firmware the psp can do things that are freakin out of this world, it really revolutionized how we see portable gaming, but, again, theres no software to backup the firmware.

i've had my psp since day one and i love the sexy thing to death but since my gurlfriend got her DS i found myself playing with her DS alot more than my PSP (i cant buy new games since i wanna preserve 1.5) but never the less, as much as i am loyal to sony i have to admit that the DS plays better, the gameplay is priceless on a DS, the graphix may not be up to par but the gameplay greatly makes up for it, extremely addictive and those of you that hasnt sat down and played a good DS title for an hour or so can not judge with 10 min of gameplay. i am a huge PSP supporter and i own a psp and plan to buy a second one for an upgraded firmware psp but i'm also on a mission to find myself a DS lite today because when it all comes down, gaming is everything when graphix are a mere second.

i'd jus like to add a couple more things, i cant wait for the psp to get the firmware update to emulate PSone titles~!! and "f*ck the june 11th release date of DS Lite, we're gettin it 11 days early~!!!!!!!!"
Egmond
phinguyen is absolutely right. It's a great console, you can play everywhere, and so on.

About the battery: i never have any problems with the time, you must be a real addict to play for 8 hours non-stop. Okay, it's not enough for a whole vacation withoud electricity, but that's your own choice ^^
tanzali2u
Egmond wrote:
phinguyen is absolutely right. It's a great console, you can play everywhere, and so on.

About the battery: i never have any problems with the time, you must be a real addict to play for 8 hours non-stop. Okay, it's not enough for a whole vacation withoud electricity, but that's your own choice ^^


i have one psp Very Happy its great totally awsome graphic is so so but still playable and now there are many great title comming around
tarwars1234
psp is not crap nor is the DS Exclamation Twisted Evil
eday2010
For me, two things make the PSP unappealing: the lack of a large library of excellent games, and the UMD drive. If I am playing a game on a portable console, I don't want to wait for 5 minutes before I can actually play a game, nor do I want to deal with loading times. If Sony is smart (which is questionable), they will go with flash-based game cards like the Nintendo DS and 3DS.
shinodan
root wrote:
The PSP is really overrated. The whole idea of it being a media player thing is completely ruined by the fact that you need memory sticks to put the media on. (correct me if im wrong but I think you still need memory sticks for music, movies, pictures..etc) After you've compressed a movie you might be able to fit 2-3 movies on a 1 gig stick, which is expensive btw. There is no way that the PSP can replace an iPod as a media player in any way what so ever. The amount of money you would need to spend on memory sticks to use your PSP with even a small media collection (~5 gig) is going to be more expensive than an iPod. To remedy this, Sony should release blank UMDs to which we can burn our media. And I have no idea, but I'm guessing you could fit a couple gigs on an UMD.

The only reason you should buy a PSP is for the games, which suck anyways. GTA got old...

In all, PSP is crap.

>let me know what you think.


A softmodded psp with an 8 gig stick was fantastic, could play n64 games, snes games, sega mega drive games, more types of video instead of just mp4. twas great it was.
amperx
imo although the psp is overrated, it was never really meant as a media gadget, its meant for mobile gaming, which does well as a matter of fact, the media player included in it, the browser and other stuff is just a plus, its like your comparing your ipod which was primarily built for playing music, to a gaming device, now thats just sad...

though i agree to your point that the storage for the psp is small, well at start the memory stick was meant for saved games, and playing games through the umd disk, but since custom firmwares was introduced, its required to put your games in the memory stick already so you have no more space to spare for music/video and stuff to the memory card..

and correct me if im wrong, graphics offered from the psp if by far the best one you can get, even better than all the "i" mobile gadgets can offer.
Flakky
I think there must be some good on the PSP if you look at the minis that PSN has to offer. Though I can't think of much else Wink
One thing that I really like about the PSP is that you can play on your ps3 with it.

Still not enough reason to be slightly interested in the PSP.
chiragpatnaik
I got one recently (I already own a PS3) to play when I am away from home. The battery life is a realy bummer.

I also use it when my wife and mother are watching the unwatchable on TV in the evening.
QrafTee
chiragpatnaik wrote:
I got one recently (I already own a PS3) to play when I am away from home. The battery life is a realy bummer.

I also use it when my wife and mother are watching the unwatchable on TV in the evening.
The bummer is a big issue. I'd go for the PSPhone with Android Gingerbread if that's the case. It'll replace your phone, your PSP, and everything in between--MP3 player, mobile internet browser, GPS, etc.
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Windows Vista Official Thread
MP3 Players, More than just an Ipod.
religion issues
THE DS CAN NOW DO WHATEVER THE PSP CAN DO
Do you like myspace?
PS3 Fails
Does anybody like X-Men?
Nintendo DS
Free Psp Games
Leopard PC
stolen phone
PSP remote play with PS3!!!!!
Opera browser sucks
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.