FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Muslim women in India burn St. Valentines cards

S3nd K3ys
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/international/news/20060214p2g00m0in039000c.html

Quote:
Muslim women burn Valentine's Day cards in Indian Kashmir

SRINAGAR, India -- Veiled supporters of an Islamic separatist women's group burned Valentine's Day cards and posters Tuesday as they marched through the streets of this key town in the Indian portion of Kashmir.

Nearly 20 supporters of the Dukhtaran-e-Millat, or Daughters of the Community, carried placards reading, "Vulgarity in the name of Valentine's Day is not acceptable" and "Muslim brothers and sisters come forward to fight against imposed Western culture."

This is classic. So western culture is forcing women to celebrate St. Valentines Day? Or are they just mad beause western culture celebrates it? Shocked

Quote:
"It is a debauch festival ... Such things lead to moral degradation," Andrabi said.

I'd be more concernted about other Muslims burning buildings and killing women and children than I would about a bunch of people celebrating St. Valentine's day. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Hindu and Muslim hard-liners have both objected to the growing popularity of Valentine's Day in India, calling it part of increasing permissiveness among the country's young people.

Last week, Andrabi's supporters had stormed gift and stationery shops In the Indian portion of Kashmir and burned Valentine's Day cards and posters.

Dukhtaran supports the 16-year-old separatist insurgency against the Indian rule and has been campaigning to weed out what she calls immorality in India's only Muslim-majority state.

So they're going to try to force people to stop celebrating St. Valentines Day?

Quote:
Andrabi was briefly arrested in September last year for raiding motels and restaurants during a morality campaign to root out snuggling couples and prostitutes.

The group has previously smeared black paint on Indian film posters portraying semi-naked women.

Andrabi has also been running a largely unsuccessful campaign to force Kashmiri women to wear an Islamic head-to-toe veil in keeping with orthodox Islamic traditions.

More violence and destruction of property.

Quote:
Jammu-Kashmir is the only Muslim-majority state in a predominantly Hindu India.

Efforts in the past by Islamic hard-liners to enforce Taliban-style moral codes have been largely ignored by Kashmiris. (AP)

Lets hope they don't get traction like some of the radical groups here in the US, (ACLU, DNC etc)
Devil
this happened in kashmir

Quote:
Veiled supporters of an Islamic separatist women's group burned

She is a terrorists supporter ,separatist in kashmir support terrorisms ,so they will do anything to create trouble in kashmir ,

but it is also true that there are muslim and hindu hardliners who protest , break shops ,

if u read thier threat in up , one group acutally said if they find any couples together on this day , they will force them to marry on the spot .

india has its own trouble , it is like these people are holding india hostage to thier beliefs ,

but the bright part is , the gov provides security and there is no offical bann on Vday . i was born and brought up in india , i know how this is ,

these people only do this where the media is , so they can be on tv and spread the message , but overall all the young couples enjoy ,

and there are many late night party on this day , Razz
S3nd K3ys
Devil wrote:

india has its own trouble , it is like these people are holding india hostage to thier beliefs ,

but the bright part is , the gov provides security and there is no offical bann on Vday . i was born and brought up in india , i know how this is ,

these people only do this where the media is , so they can be on tv and spread the message , but overall all the young couples enjoy ,

and there are many late night party on this day , Razz

That was the impression I got as I read the article.

As for some "people holding India hostage", I know exactally what you mean. Groups like the above mentioned, and NAMBLA, and some extreme athiest and envorowacko groups are slowly destroying the culture in this country as well.
fkmax
what is going on with them.....if they dun want to celebrate Valentine's day, then y do they need to burn the valentine's card, is it affeceting their lives....they should allow others to do so then...even if they dun want... Mad
Soulfire
And why should we support the eastern culture? Notice how we don't run around burning buildings and getting pissed off because not everyone lives like us.
Devil
Soulfire wrote:
And why should we support the eastern culture? Notice how we don't run around burning buildings and getting pissed off because not everyone lives like us.

Trust me this is no big deal in india , nobody cares about these groups , everyone celebrates Vday , its only these group endup spoiling thier own day protesting Laughing we no longer live in a closed world ,

we should learn to live with dif cultures and respect each others beliefs ,

thats how we are going to survive ,
Carupieara
Soulfire wrote:

Don't support the Eastern culture then. No more yoga, henna tattoos, KS lessons or for the matter, using the numerical system, for you!
Vrythramax
Carupieara wrote:
Soulfire wrote:

Don't support the Eastern culture then. No more yoga, henna tattoos, KS lessons or for the matter, using the numerical system, for you!

If it will keep someone from decalring a jihad on my butt...keep all that crap and let me live.

As for burning Valentine's Day cards....I think they are just looking for a reason to protest and have way to much time on thier hands. Maybe they should just take a Midol and chill out for a bit.

Condescending attitude? Maybe. Truthful statement, I think so.
Soulfire
Carupieara wrote:
Soulfire wrote:

You missed the entire point of my post. I was just pointing out that why should we be "forced" (they see it only fit to live their way) to live in the middle eastern (more correct term) culture. But in the end, I really wouldn't miss any of the things you listed.

I've never been one for eastern culture anyways.
ldnet
there is different types of muslims, if they are shia muslims and burn all this crap I say they deserve to die and in general all shia muslims should die cause they are stupid and dont know anything about the religion, i am a muslim but i follow the prophet and what he did, they add their own crap in and do their own shit which is really retarded. so yeah they suck LOL
shadedflame
A true classic, western cultures forcing thier beleifs against the eastern people...this is just like a west coast vs. east coast rap battle...Yes it may seem stupid, yes it may sound stupid, but after all of the imposed western ideas, the indians must try and keep thier culture alive before they become a shadow of they once were, just another industrialized country.
shadedflame
Soulfire wrote:
Carupieara wrote:
Soulfire wrote:

You missed the entire point of my post. I was just pointing out that why should we be "forced" (they see it only fit to live their way) to live in the middle eastern (more correct term) culture. But in the end, I really wouldn't miss any of the things you listed.

yah....SCREW THE EASTERN ALGEBRA! WE DON'T NEED THOSE DARN NUMBERS EITHER! Very Happy ANd screw those fancy calandars we use. SHIP THAT CRAP BACK TO THE MIDDLE EAST!
Arin
shadedflame wrote:
Soulfire wrote:

yah....SCREW THE EASTERN ALGEBRA! WE DON'T NEED THOSE DARN NUMBERS EITHER! Very Happy ANd screw those fancy calandars we use. SHIP THAT CRAP BACK TO THE MIDDLE EAST!

lol Very Happy this was hot one Very Happy anyway leave some eastern algebra for me, and one calendar as well. I admit I am from west, but I am not such paranoid freak as some others here Very Happy.

long live muslims? no. long live christians? no! long live humanity!!

cheers,
Arin.
Devil
i dont know why this thread is taking so much HEat ,

India is not made up of one religion or culture , the most important thing of india is that everyone is allowed to worship thier own gods ,

they even allowed worship of SATAN Razz (it happened in kerela )

it is not about the EAST or the West , we should all understand that we live in the age of global economy , where every country depends on other countries , There is a lot of things that the west can learn from the east ,

and there are many positives that EAst can pickup from the WEst , like SAy Freedom of speach and Administration , to name a few .

india has a population of over one billion people , i dont think anywhere near in the future indian culutre is going to vanish .

Read this interview of Geroge Bush listen to what he has to say about india
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1426634.cms
CompactHaven
RAH! I certainly would refuse to give them chocolate heart candies if such a stunt be committed against me! Laughing
You Hypocrites
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Or are they just mad beause western culture celebrates it?

Islam is just pseudo theism injected in liberalism. And they aren't afraid to kill dissenters publically. No clintonesque heart attacks!
tidruG
Someone posted about India needing to keep its culture alive... I agree... but with over a billion people, and majority of them in rural areas, it's not very likely that the culture and tradition is going to vanish any time soon.

As for all the ruckus of the Weternized world invading Indian culture... well, it's bound to happen. The Western world is beginning to adopt Eastern practices like Yoga, Meditation, etc (don't forget Chinese fast food Razz), and the Indian society is turning a little more "western".

I personally, don't see why there should be one particular day to celebrate your love. If you really love someone, everyday should be a celebration... and there could be days when you feel more in love with someone than you have felt in a long time... but why that day should be Valentine's Day baffles me.
Purgatorios
S3nd K3ys wrote:

I'd be more concernted about other Muslims burning buildings and killing women and children than I would about a bunch of people celebrating St. Valentine's day. Rolling Eyes ...

Lets hope they don't get traction like some of the radical groups here in the US, (ACLU, DNC etc)

It's odd to compare far right-wing cultural movements in India to the ACLU and DNC of all groups in the US. What does an Islamic movement for conservative dress and sexual lifestyle have to do with a group that agitates for greater civil liberties and one of the two mainstream political parties? In its militancy it resembles much more closely the radical pro-life movement (although in this article no firebombing occurred) and the goal of conservative dress and sexual politics is the same one as many socially conservative and anti-gay groups in the United States such as Focus on the Family.

Also, I completely agree with your first comment that I quoted. Similarly, instead of agitating for my own sexual values to be embraced by other people, I worry about members of a group that I am a part of (The United States) burning buildings and killing women and children in Iraq, for instance, leading to a death toll of 98000, 79% of which died of violent causes by coalition weaponry with 48% of these being children with a median age of 8. Arguably I have more responsibility for this because my taxes paid for it while the Muslim conservatives are just co-religionists with perpetrators of atrocities against civilians. I hate to see, on either side, knee-jerk attempts to identify things you see happen positively with your side of the political spectrum and negative things with the other.
amirkpe
realy you think it's matter of being shia or not??? no it's not .., i think only sect person like you that do not think about what they prophet said and follow them without asking about them would do this kind of things .. ..

I think all the religions always were the main cause of murders , and all the bad things
fray bentos
It would therefore seem that whilst romance may not be dead - they're doing a good job of trying to kill it.