FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

TS/Vent cheating?

Is using programs like TS and Vent cheating?
No
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Tasa
So I was reading this old poll on gwonline.net about what extent should 3rd party programs should be allowable.

One of the options was TS/Vent software. This option won. But most people say this is no more a 3rd party program then IM software as it does not do anything to the game itself. I agree with this statement, but some people were saying that people who use this type of program are in fact cheating and braking the rules regarding 3rd party programs and should be banned.

I was honestly shocked by this, but it got me thinking do most people agree it is cheating or is it not.
Saber
So the people that say this is cheating, would also then clame that talking to your buddy/borther/sister/who ever sitting next to you while playing the game also is cheating. Sigh.... cheating would be changing game play in some form. Not talking
adiutrix
Hey
How can this be cheating, communication is a key to winning.
I didn't read the article but am shocked to hear of it even being thought of as cheating.
What would a clan do on a game such as battlefield vietnam for example without teamspeak in a clan match.
Type to each other?
Just imagine a war where everyone has to stop every few seconds and type, ok we have 6 men advancing on the main base.
Or bail out, by the time it has been typed in, YOUR DEAD.
But suppose they won't be able to kill you because they are busy typing to each other.
This would make a whole game a mess and ruin it.
Adiutrix
hodgenpodg
ya communication is in no way a form of cheating i mean thats how its done in real life...without communication nothing would get done right. unless you are some how spying on the other team when your dead and telling your buddy where they are then its definitely not cheating but rather the key to winning
Insanity
I think it could be the fact that during games like Counter Strike, when a person is dead, you can view from the opposing side and alert your teammates in all sorts of different ways with Teamspeak or something. Say one enemy is camping in one spot, then the dead person can just relay that to their teammates and they will have an unfair advantage over them.

But other than that I could see no reason why they are cheating, for it is basically just faster communication among your teams. I'm not sure about their status in official clan matches and whatnot, maybe someone can elucidate that point a bit.
Code of Ruin
hodgenpodg wrote:
ya communication is in no way a form of cheating i mean thats how its done in real life...without communication nothing would get done right. unless you are some how spying on the other team when your dead and telling your buddy where they are then its definitely not cheating but rather the key to winning

I believe the way of using ts here is called ghosting. And that is considered a form of cheating because it gives one team an unfair advantage. I have looked after servers for different games a while and if I caught people using this technique I would kick them for I consider it cheating. It is a key to winning in the same way as using software to mod your guns or make you invulnerable. Fortunately there are rather simple ways around it like making the screen go black when someone dies. Of course using communication in the normal way e.g. not to gain an unfair advantage but simply to communicate faster, then it isn't cheating
root
"Venting" is not cheating as long as you are in the same channel with people on your team in the game. It is illegal to be in the same vent channel with members of the oposing teams, that is called "ghosting"...that only matters if it's a match or scrim. Me and my friend always ghost in pubs...so much fun Very Happy