FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Domain Name hosting with FriHost

710ths
Hi,
I've recently bought a domain name: buytoletinfo.com and would like this to be hosted at Frihost.

I've added the domain within directadmin and added the frihost server names to the domain register.

I presume I need to add DNS numbers, but how do I do this. Sorry if this question seems a little simple. I'm just a novice that needs some idiot guide to get this set up.

Thanks in anticipation of anyones help.
Loathing in Fear
DNS = NS (Nameserver)
It's the same, the DirectAdmin nameservers are: ns1.frih.net
and ns2.frih.net
To add them, just go to your registrar, log in and look for something called: "DNS Management" or something like that, change the nameservers, and wait a few minutes - hours.
WebSiteGuru
When you added ns1 and ns2 to your domain registrar, it can take up to 2 to 3 days depending on if your domain registrar will run the updates to DNS right away or not.
Bondings
You need to change the nameservers to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net . They are currently pointing to our first server frihost.net. Afterwards just add the domain to your account.
schumway
similar question... and maybe not our issue here...

I bought a domain at Domainsatcost.ca
sask-blackangus.ca is the domain.

I logged in as admin and went to the DNS page.

I did do domain forwarding from the one I bought to the one frihost provided... (hoping that would be a quick fix until the DNS stuff was resolved) AND I ALSO added the DNS informtion for ns1 and ns2 with the IPs of x.x.x.170 and 171 respectively.

The temp 'under construction page' was toasted within 24hrs so I figured that they must be forwarding the DNS things to Frihost now... but... how do I link the domain name to my frihost site?

I would assume the DNS is now looking to frihost DNS servers for a website of sask-blackangus.ca but how does frihost know where my pages are?

if I use the frihost name in the url it works fine so I think I may be missing this one piece somewhere... the server is pointing to the right host.... just no way to link the sask-blackangus.ca to my web space... how do I do that?

thanks
710ths
Thanks for the help. If like magic added the correct ns1 and ns2 i.e ns1.frih.net and ns.frih.net to the named servers at the site where I bought the domain name and within 3 hours the site was visable.

Only trouble is the server is down.

Thanks again for those who helped.
Cheers
Daniel15
Quote:
I would assume the DNS is now looking to frihost DNS servers for a website of sask-blackangus.ca but how does frihost know where my pages are?

You need to add the domain as a 'Domain Pointer' in DirectAdmin.

If you look at http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=sask-blackangus.ca&type=A , your domain is pointing to the FriHost DNS Servers, but the DNS Servers don't know what to do with the domain (it could belong to anyone). Once you add the domain as a domain pointer, the server will know that it is your domain.
Bondings
schumway wrote:
similar question... and maybe not our issue here...

I bought a domain at Domainsatcost.ca
sask-blackangus.ca is the domain.

I logged in as admin and went to the DNS page.

I did do domain forwarding from the one I bought to the one frihost provided... (hoping that would be a quick fix until the DNS stuff was resolved) AND I ALSO added the DNS informtion for ns1 and ns2 with the IPs of x.x.x.170 and 171 respectively.

The temp 'under construction page' was toasted within 24hrs so I figured that they must be forwarding the DNS things to Frihost now... but... how do I link the domain name to my frihost site?

if I use the frihost name in the url it works fine so I think I may be missing this one piece somewhere... the server is pointing to the right host.... just no way to link the sask-blackangus.ca to my web space... how do I do that?

thanks

I think it would be better to remove the domain forwarding and only have the dns settings. The forwarding will forward the domain to our subdomain, while with dns you will be able to use your domain just like you do now with your subdomain.
schumway
thanks... was able to get it fixed.
I knew I was missing something simple. I was looking on here where to do the DNS mapping on the server after you have the name registered but frihost actually has someone else managing that part. might be good to have that kind of info on the account level. where it tells you what site you have and any settings you need (ie DNS) and etc and links to the other sites with your user/pass embedded?